Author Topic: President Trump  (Read 431568 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
President Trump as a Democracy Promoter
« Reply #1452 on: June 07, 2017, 11:46:33 PM »
Amen!

===================

Trump as a Democracy Promoter
His responses to abuse in Syria and Venezuela suggest he cares about freedom and human rights.
By Judy Shelton
June 7, 2017 7:24 p.m. ET
16 COMMENTS

Much has been made of President Trump’s supposed lack of interest in human rights and the promotion of American ideals. Stepping back from his rhetoric and looking at his actions suggests an alternative conclusion.

If it were an easy task to set up a flourishing democracy, the entire world would be experiencing peace and prosperity. But it has never been simple. Many people around the world understand that liberty, opportunity and fairness flow from democratic institutions. But establishing such systems takes time, and progress is uneven. The growing pains of warring internal factions and harsh retributions meted out by ruthless authoritarians slow the march toward democracy.

President Reagan sought to address the issue in a speech before the British Parliament on June 8, 1982. He affirmed it was a mistake to ignore the rise of tyrants: Britain had paid a terrible price in World War II after allowing dictators to underestimate its resolve. He further maintained that democratic nations needed to resist as a matter of self-expression. Reagan said we must think of ourselves as “free people, worthy of freedom and determined not only to remain so but to help others gain their freedom as well.”

The 40th president proposed countering totalitarianism and its terrible inhumanity by actively promoting freedom and democratic ideals throughout the world. He envisioned the creation of a bipartisan U.S. political foundation that would assist democratic development by openly providing support to those seeking equality and liberty for their countrymen. Building the infrastructure of democracy—free elections, free markets, free speech and rule of law—would empower people to choose their own way to reconcile their own differences through peaceful means. “Democracy is not a fragile flower,” Reagan observed. “Still, it needs cultivating.”

The National Endowment for Democracy, launched as a result of that speech, remains faithful to its founding mission: to help others achieve a system that protects the inalienable rights of individuals and guarantees the people’s freedom to determine their own destiny. The endowment provides modest grants to democracy activists around the world, but its greater gift is the imprimatur of moral support from the American people. Brave individuals on the front lines of the struggle for democracy in their own countries draw strength from that connection.

The efforts of five endowment grantees battling government corruption were applauded during a Capitol Hill ceremony on Wednesday, with remarks delivered by House Speaker Paul Ryan and Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi. Yet some argue that endorsing the spread of the American idea beyond the U.S. no longer aligns with the preferences of American voters. The most cynical voices claim Mr. Trump neither accepts nor comprehends the profound influence of America’s moral authority in the world.

That simplistic narrative is wrong. Consider Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s remarks to his department’s employees last month. He adjured them to “remember that guiding all of our foreign-policy actions are our fundamental values,” which include “freedom, human dignity, the way people are treated.” As Mr. Tillerson explained, the objectives of the administration’s America First approach—encouraging economic prosperity and maintaining military readiness—are crucial if the U.S. is to promote its values abroad.

Mr. Trump’s decisions ultimately make the difference. “I see in the president somebody who said a lot of things in the campaign,” former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice noted in a recent Journal interview. “But when he was sitting in that chair and watched Syrian babies choking on chemical gas said, ‘I can’t let that stand.’ ”

What Mr. Trump apparently felt at a gut level is entirely in keeping with that uniquely American quality of being unable to ignore injustice—that inability to stand idly by while the rights of others are cruelly violated by despots. Does he appreciate that America’s own hard-fought path to democracy and equal rights means we never retreat from leadership or abstain from righteousness in a world prone to malevolence?

One notable event may provide a telling indication. In February, Mr. Trump met in the Oval Office with Lilian Tintori, wife of jailed Venezuelan opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez. Afterward the president tweeted a thumbs-up photo of himself, together with Vice President Mike Pence and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, standing beside Ms. Tintori. “Venezuela should allow Leopoldo Lopez, a political prisoner & husband of @liliantintori (just met w/@marcorubio) out of prison immediately,” read his accompanying message.

“Here in Venezuela, jaws dropped,” wrote Emiliana Duarte, managing editor of the English-language blog Caracas Chronicles, in the Atlantic. “For Venezuelans accustomed to living in fear of their dictatorial government, the sight of the president of the United States siding publicly with the most fearless champion of Venezuelan democracy was powerful.”

As someone who has thought deeply about democracy promotion, I take this as evidence that America’s leader—an admirer of Reagan—has the head and the heart to act with fundamental decency. American decency is born of gratitude for what this nation’s founders had the courage and vision to establish. It is what compels Americans to stand for the rights and liberties of those who can’t stand for those rights and liberties themselves. It is what drives the aspiration to share the American values that have made the U.S. not only successful but honorable.

Ms. Shelton is chairman of the National Endowment for Democracy. She served on the Trump transition team.

Appeared in the June 8, 2017, print edition.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Where does it end?
« Reply #1453 on: June 09, 2017, 10:22:24 AM »
I feel that Trump did not win election because of his name calling and other childish behavior.  He won in spite of it.  He won because of as Coulter says his policies
It is the policies stupid!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/you-cant-govern-by-id/2017/06/08/fad7a168-4c7a-11e7-9669-250d0b15f83b_story.html?utm_term=.011c46d05cfa
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 10:24:24 AM by ccp »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Rare occasion I do not disagree with Graham
« Reply #1454 on: June 11, 2017, 01:13:51 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-russia-probe-talk-lindsey-graham-article-1.3238742

I might add I would not feel sorry for Trump either.  But I would feel sorry for us.

There is no one who can carry the torch.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Jonah Goldberg: Put down the phone Mr. President
« Reply #1457 on: June 30, 2017, 01:19:58 PM »
The G-File By Jonah Goldberg Put Down the Phone, Mr. President

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/g-file/449152/donald-trump-tweets-agenda-damaged-character-revealed

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Trump likely just skyrocketed morning shmoe's ratings
« Reply #1458 on: June 30, 2017, 02:09:46 PM »
Trump will not change.  Just forget it.     :cry:

From Fox off Drudge:

Few voters approve of President Trump’s tweeting, and most agree it’s making his job harder.

Seventy-one percent say the president’s tweets are hurting his agenda, according to the latest Fox News Poll.  Just 17 percent see the tweets as helpful. 

The poll was conducted Sunday through Tuesday evenings -- before a tweet by President Trump about MSNBC’s Mika Brzezinski received significant media coverage Thursday morning.

Related Image
Fox News Poll 1Expand / Collapse
READ THE RESULTS OF THE LATEST FOX NEWS POLL

Do voters consider the president’s online posts official statements?  Close call:  51 percent say yes vs. 45 percent no. 

Overall, only 13 percent approve of Trump’s tweeting.  It was 16 percent in March.  Forty-six percent disapprove, while 39 percent take the middle ground and “wish he’d be more cautious.”

Among Republicans, 21 percent approve, while 59 percent would like Trump to be more careful with his tweets and 18 percent disapprove.

Related Image
Fox News Poll 2Expand / Collapse
Majorities across the board say Trump’s tweets are hurting his agenda, although Democrats (87 percent) and independents (75 percent) are far more likely than Republicans (53 percent) to see it that way. 

Over half of Democrats (59 percent) say the tweets are official presidential statements, while over half of Republicans say they aren’t (52 percent).

Related Image
Fox News Poll 3Expand / Collapse
The Fox News poll is based on landline and cellphone interviews with 1,017 randomly chosen registered voters nationwide and was conducted under the joint direction of Anderson Robbins Research (D) and Shaw & Company Research (R) from June 25-27, 2017.  The poll has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus three percentage points for all registered voters.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Trump likely just skyrocketed morning shmoe's ratings
« Reply #1459 on: June 30, 2017, 04:54:40 PM »
"President Trump’s tweeting, and most agree it’s making his job harder"

It's making his job harder.

The fact that he has a way to communicate directly to the people without going through the media is great.  How he uses it is not.

At least he does fight back, but too often he just digs new holes for himself and his agenda to fall into.

The Mika thing... a supporter could say they struck him first and deserved it but he is the President.  He needs to spell out his grievance and do it in a classier way.  Or ignore them and move forward, control the message, let them look petty.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: President Trump
« Reply #1460 on: June 30, 2017, 06:25:02 PM »
"Or ignore them and move forward, control the message, let them look petty."

ignoring would have been the clever response .
why give them the time of the day?
why give them the media exposure?
why promote their show?

they are fleas - he is the most powerful man in the world

Yet he is responds like a spurned school girl.

I have given up hoping he will change, in this regard. 

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
another view
« Reply #1461 on: June 30, 2017, 06:57:09 PM »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: June 30, 2017, 08:27:56 PM »
"Or ignore them and move forward, control the message, let them look petty."

ignoring would have been the clever response .
why give them the time of the day?
why give them the media exposure?
why promote their show?

they are fleas - he is the most powerful man in the world

Yet he is responds like a spurned school girl.

I have given up hoping he will change, in this regard. 

W tried to ignore the critics/MSM. How did that work out for him?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Probably it was the comment about hiding his hands that did it , , ,
« Reply #1463 on: June 30, 2017, 10:43:15 PM »
OTOH, fake"Time" covers?!?  Seriously?!?  :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://thepoliticalinsider.com/morning-joe-trump-tweets/

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: July 01, 2017, 09:31:49 AM »
"W tried to ignore the critics/MSM. How did that work out for him?"

I don't know about Bush but Trump is hurting himself with his tweets.  
I have no problem with his spokespeople pointing out  how partisan the media is and that they are simply an attack mob,
but calling people names,  trying to humiliate them,  insulting language.

Sorry , but he is not helping himself.

Look at all the polls coming out.   A large majority say his tweets are hurting his agenda .

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 10:13:19 AM by ccp »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: July 01, 2017, 11:20:46 AM »
I'm guessing Mika's super soprano snicker about him hiding his hands in the fake Time cover is what drove him over the edge.

Rubio's opposition research discovered his extreme sensitivity to comments on his hand size and used it to unbalance Donald when Donald was ragging him as "Little Marco".  What did Donald do?  In a national debate he reassured the nation that his dick size is just fine.  Now Mika snickers, and again he lunges and lashes out.

This is weakness.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: July 01, 2017, 11:24:40 AM »
I'm guessing Mika's super soprano snicker about him hiding his hands in the fake Time cover is what drove him over the edge.

Rubio's opposition research discovered his extreme sensitivity to comments on his hand size and used it to unbalance Donald when Donald was ragging him as "Little Marco".  What did Donald do?  In a national debate he reassured the nation that his dick size is just fine.  Now Mika snickers, and again he lunges and lashes out.

This is weakness.

Trump is gonna Trump. Meanwhile, lots of good things are happening. I doubt anyone here expected him to walk on water. He's done better than I anticipated so far.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: July 01, 2017, 12:52:11 PM »
GM,

I want Trump to succeed too.

But he shoots us *all* in the feet every time he tweets childish memos.

In additions, he drives his far less courageous Repubs under cover.   

And he gives ammo not only to Dems,  but ammo to vengeful anti-Trumpsters - like McCain, whom I might add, I have lost a large amount of respect for.   

IMHO

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: July 01, 2017, 12:58:54 PM »
GM,

I want Trump to succeed too.

But he shoots us *all* in the feet every time he tweets childish memos.

In additions, he drives his far less courageous Repubs under cover.   

And he gives ammo not only to Dems,  but ammo to vengeful anti-Trumpsters - like McCain, whom I might add, I have lost a large amount of respect for.   

IMHO

The dems and the republican wings of the dems, like McLame will never fight the left's deep state. They are content to live in DC and get their share of the loot while acting as the token resistance. Do you see the left worried about it's hateful messages or real violence from it's followers? Gee, Trump tweets mean things while a Bernie-bot tries to murder congressmen.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: July 01, 2017, 09:23:17 PM »
"He's done better than I anticipated so far."

I remember just how vigorously I opposed him during the primaries, yet somehow I have become quite a fan.  This makes his unforced errors all the more infuriating.  Fake Time covers?!?  Seriously?!?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Shocking! President Trump had sex with '98 Playmate of the Year
« Reply #1470 on: July 03, 2017, 08:17:07 PM »
National Enquirer Shielded Donald Trump From Playboy Model’s Affair Allegation
Tabloid owner American Media agreed to pay $150,000 for story from 1998 Playmate of the Year, but hasn’t published her account
Donald Trump and former Playboy model Karen McDougal
Donald Trump and former Playboy model Karen McDougal Photo: Associated Press; Getty Images
By Joe Palazzolo,
Michael Rothfeld and
Lukas I. Alpert
November 4, 2016
1847 COMMENTS

The company that owns the National Enquirer, a backer of Donald Trump, agreed to pay $150,000 to a former Playboy centerfold model for her story of an affair a decade ago with the Republican presidential nominee, but then didn’t publish it, according to documents reviewed by The Wall Street Journal and people familiar with the matter.

The tabloid-newspaper publisher reached an agreement in early August with Karen McDougal, the 1998 Playmate of the Year. American Media Inc., which owns the Enquirer, hasn’t published anything about what she has told friends was a consensual romantic relationship she had with Mr. Trump in 2006. At the time, Mr. Trump was married to his current wife, Melania.

Quashing stories that way is known in the tabloid world as “catch and kill.”

In a written statement, the company said it wasn’t buying Ms. McDougal’s story for $150,000, but rather two years’ worth of her fitness columns and magazine covers as well as exclusive life rights to any relationship she has had with a then-married man. “AMI has not paid people to kill damaging stories about Mr. Trump,” the statement said.

Hope Hicks, a Trump campaign spokeswoman, said of the agreement with Ms. McDougal: “We have no knowledge of any of this.” She said that Ms. McDougal’s claim of an affair with Mr. Trump was “totally untrue.”

Ms. McDougal expected her story about Mr. Trump to be published, people familiar with the matter said. American Media didn’t intend to run it, said another person familiar with the matter. Ms. McDougal didn’t return calls for comment.

Mr. Trump and American Media Chairman and Chief Executive Officer David J. Pecker are longtime friends. Since last year, the Enquirer has supported Mr. Trump’s presidential bid, endorsing him and publishing negative articles about some of his opponents.

In a written statement, Mr. Pecker said that it is no secret that he and Mr. Trump are friends and that he greatly admires him. However, he said, the Enquirer under his management “set the agenda” on Mr. Trump’s affair with Marla Maples when he was married to his first wife. “That in itself speaks volumes about our commitment to investigative reporting,” he said.

AMI covered some of Mr. Trump’s relationship with Ms. Maples after Mr. Pecker arrived there in 1998. However, Mr. Pecker had not joined the company when their extramarital affair was first exposed in the early 90s.

A contract reviewed by the Journal gave American Media exclusive rights to Ms. McDougal’s story forever, but didn’t obligate the company to publish it and allowed the company to transfer those rights. It barred her from telling her story elsewhere. The company said it also would give her monthly columns to write and would put her on magazine covers.

AMI said in a written statement the company was pleased to hire Ms. McDougal as a columnist.
More Election 2016 Coverage

Computer-Security Firm Says Voter Data Set Left Unprotected June 19, 2017

The tabloid publisher didn’t publish Ms. McDougal’s story of the alleged extramarital affair even after Mr. Trump’s alleged relationships with and comments about women became a campaign issue. In October, the Washington Post published a videotape made by “Access Hollywood” of Mr. Trump, in which he spoke of groping women. Several women subsequently said publicly that he had made unwanted sexual advances.

Mr. Trump has denied their accounts and apologized for his remarks on the tape, calling them locker-room banter.

Ms. McDougal, who continued modeling after appearing in Playboy, told several of her friends she had a relationship for about 10 months with Mr. Trump, beginning in 2006 and lasting into 2007, according to people familiar with her account. Another friend told the Journal that Ms. McDougal’s relationship with Mr. Trump lasted about a year.

A friend of Ms. McDougal’s recalled attending the Miss Universe pageant at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles as a guest of Mr. Trump in 2006. Mr. Trump’s limousine picked up Ms. McDougal and her at Ms. McDougal’s Beverly Hills home, and the two women sat in the front row with Mr. Trump and music producers Quincy Jones and David Foster. Mr. Trump escorted them home, the friend said.

Messages left with representatives for Messrs. Jones and Foster weren’t immediately returned.

In July, Ms. McDougal was in talks with producers at ABC News to tell her story, but she ultimately agreed to the deal with AMI, guided by her lawyer Keith Davidson, according to two people familiar with the discussions.

“I did indeed represent Ms. McDougal and currently represent Ms. McDougal in her negotiations with American Media Inc. to provide services to them,” Mr. Davidson said.

Mr. Davidson also represented Stephanie Clifford, a former adult-film star whose professional name is Stormy Daniels and who was in discussions with ABC’s “Good Morning America” in recent months to publicly disclose what she said was a past relationship with Mr. Trump, according to people familiar with the talks. Ms. Clifford cut off contact with the network without telling her story. She didn’t respond to requests for comment.

An ABC spokesperson declined to comment on Ms. McDougal or Ms. Clifford.

The Trump spokeswoman, Ms. Hicks, said it was “absolutely, unequivocally” untrue that Ms. Clifford had a relationship with Mr. Trump.

Mr. Davidson’s work for Ms. McDougal was in connection with “claims against Donald Trump and or assisting client in negotiating a confidentiality agreement and/or life rights related to interactions with Donald Trump and/or negotiating assignment of exclusive press opportunities regarding same,” according to a copy of Mr. Davidson’s agreement to represent her, which was reviewed by the Journal.

The agreement between Ms. McDougal and AMI doesn’t mention Mr. Trump by name, but gives the publisher the rights to “any romantic, personal and/or physical relationship McDougal has ever had with any then-married man.” The document says AMI is entitled to damages of at least $150,000 if she discloses her story elsewhere on social media or gives interviews about it.

Ms. McDougal hasn't appeared in or written for any AMI publications since signing the agreement, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Mr. Trump’s relationship with Mr. Pecker, the chairman of American Media, is well-documented. In the 1990s, when Mr. Pecker was president and chief executive of Hachette Filipacchi Magazines, the publisher put out “Trump Style,” a custom quarterly magazine distributed to guests at Trump properties.

As the presidential race ramped up last year, the Enquirer published a series of columns by Mr. Trump. One began, “I am the only one who can make America great again!” Another was headlined, “Donald Trump: The Man Behind the Legend!”

Amplifications:
David Pecker cited the Enquirer’s coverage of Donald Trump’s extramarital affair with Marla Maples as evidence of his commitment to investigative journalism. This story has been updated to make clear that the affair occurred and was first revealed in the early 1990s, predating Mr. Pecker’s arrival at the company. The Enquirer did publish articles about Mr. Trump and Ms. Maples before his arrival in 1998 and continued to do so afterward. (Nov. 6, 2016)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: July 28, 2017, 05:01:24 AM »
from CD post above:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/07/donald-trump-eats-first/534927/

I agree with author's sentiment 100%.

Rush , who I admire,  I also disagree with.    Trumps tweets. daily rants , are not brilliant handling of the press with some sort of genius hidden plan.  His
berating Sessions for example is not some sort of scheme to make people more sympathetic to the AG and thus make him more effective or to instill incentive to Sessions eetc

These rants are stupid impulsive vindictive attacks by a guy who has some personality flaws and never takes responsibility for his own screw ups and has always his whole life blamed others.

Most likely he has  personality disorder.  My guess would be the most obvious like narcissistic .  Will be interested to see what the shrinks have to say now the polictical APA removed there ban on psychiatrists from pubicaly commenting on President's personality.  I notice though the left org they did not do this with the pervious nariccistic megalomaniac President or with Clinton who are both with their flaws.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
The Chaos of President Trump
« Reply #1475 on: August 26, 2017, 09:26:13 AM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: September 17, 2017, 09:03:57 AM »
Hyper-ventilation in my opinion.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
President Trump at the UN-- full speech
« Reply #1480 on: September 20, 2017, 01:42:23 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 11:08:52 AM by Crafty_Dog »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Art of the Deal author
« Reply #1485 on: October 25, 2017, 06:35:31 AM »
reflecting on Trump.  Short attention span?  ADD?

from the author of Doug's favorite book:

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/ashamed-writer-art-deal-says-trump-man-70-7/

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Art of the Deal author
« Reply #1486 on: October 26, 2017, 05:57:36 PM »
reflecting on Trump.  Short attention span?  ADD?

from the author of Doug's favorite book:

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/ashamed-writer-art-deal-says-trump-man-70-7/

ccp,  You remembered how much I hated that book.  )   Maybe it's good that this worthless p.o.s. was ghost-written.

Trump calls it a 'business book', best selling business book of all time...   Good grief.

Somehow you suspected that lyrics books aren't always written by the celeb that takes credit...

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: October 27, 2017, 08:22:16 PM »
"Somehow you suspected that lyrics books aren't always written by the celeb that takes credit..."

Celebrity   writers
               restauranteers / chefs
               fashion designers
               perfume and makeup chemists
               autobiographers

What can I say?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Falls right into the trap
« Reply #1488 on: November 17, 2017, 04:11:09 AM »
Give me a break Donald.  Waiting for twin assassins family of  Bloom/Allred to parade some women who will make claims against Trump:

https://nypost.com/2017/11/16/trump-blasts-al-frankenstien-on-twitter-over-alleged-groping/

I cannot think of a better example of the pot calling the kettle black.
I wonder if DJT does this just to infuriate libs even more.................  :|

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
He Fights
« Reply #1489 on: November 29, 2017, 07:16:44 AM »
https://townhall.com/columnists/evansayet/2017/07/13/he-fights-n2354580

He Fights
Evan Sayet |Posted: Jul 13, 2017 1:57 PM 

My Leftist friends (as well as many ardent #NeverTrumpers) constantly ask me if I’m not bothered by Donald Trump’s lack of decorum.  They ask if I don’t think his tweets are “beneath the dignity of the office.”  Here’s my answer:

We Right-thinking people have tried dignity.  There could not have been a man of more quiet dignity than George W. Bush as he suffered the outrageous lies and politically motivated hatreds that undermined his presidency.  We tried statesmanship.  Could there be another human being on this earth who so desperately prized “collegiality” as John McCain?  We tried propriety – has there been a nicer human being ever than Mitt Romney?  And the results were always the same.

This is because, while we were playing by the rules of dignity, collegiality and propriety, the Left has been, for the past 60 years, engaged in a knife fight where the only rules are those of Saul Alinsky and the Chicago mob.

I don’t find anything “dignified,” “collegial” or “proper” about Barack Obama’s lying about what went down on the streets of Ferguson in order to ramp up racial hatreds because racial hatreds serve the Democratic Party.  I don’t see anything “dignified” in lying about the deaths of four Americans in Benghazi and imprisoning an innocent filmmaker to cover your tracks.  I don’t see anything “statesman-like” in weaponizing the IRS to be used to destroy your political opponents and any dissent.  Yes, Obama was “articulate” and “polished” but in no way was he in the least bit “dignified,” “collegial” or “proper.”

The Left has been engaged in a war against America since the rise of the Children of the ‘60s.   To them, it has been an all-out war where nothing is held sacred and nothing is seen as beyond the pale.  It has been a war they’ve fought with violence, the threat of violence, demagoguery and lies from day one – the violent take-over of the universities – till today.

The problem is that, through these years, the Left has been the only side fighting this war.  While the Left has been taking a knife to anyone who stands in their way, the Right has continued to act with dignity, collegiality and propriety.

With Donald Trump, this all has come to an end.  Donald Trump is America’s first wartime president in the Culture War.

During wartime, things like “dignity” and “collegiality” simply aren’t the most essential qualities one looks for in their warriors.  Ulysses Grant was a drunk whose behavior in peacetime might well have seen him drummed out of the Army for conduct unbecoming.  Had Abraham Lincoln applied the peacetime rules of propriety and booted Grant, the Democrats might well still be holding their slaves today.   Lincoln rightly recognized that, “I cannot spare this man.  He fights.”

General George Patton was a vulgar-talking, son-of-a-bitch.  In peacetime, this might have seen him stripped of rank.  But, had Franklin Roosevelt applied the normal rules of decorum, then Hitler and the Socialists would barely be five decades into their thousand-year Reich.

Trump is fighting.  And what’s particularly delicious is that, like Patton standing over the battlefield as his tanks obliterated Rommel’s, he’s shouting, “You magnificent bastards, I read your book!”  That is just the icing on the cake, but it’s wonderful to see that not only is Trump fighting, he’s defeating the Left using their own tactics.

That book is Saul Alinsky’s Rules for Radicals – a book so essential to the Liberals’ war against America that it is and was the playbook for the entire Obama administration and the subject of Hillary Clinton’s senior thesis.   It is a book of such pure evil, that, just as the rest of us would dedicate our book to those we most love or those to whom we are most indebted, Alinsky dedicated his book to Lucifer.

Trump’s tweets may seem rash and unconsidered but, in reality, he is doing exactly what Alinsky suggested his followers do.

First, instead of going after “the fake media” – and they are so fake that they have literally gotten every single significant story of the past 60 years not just wrong, but diametrically opposed to the truth, from the Tet Offensive to Benghazi, to what really happened on the streets of Ferguson, Missouri – Trump isolated CNN.  He made it personal.  Then, just as Alinsky suggests, he employs ridicule which Alinsky described as “the most powerful weapon of all.”

Everyone gets that it’s not just CNN – in fact, in a world where Al Sharpton and Rachel Maddow, Paul Krugman and Nicholas Kristof are people of influence and whose “reporting” is in no way significantly different than CNN’s – CNN is just a piker.

Most importantly, Trump’s tweets have put CNN in an untenable and unwinnable position.  With Trump’s ability to go around them, they cannot simply stand pat.  They need to respond.  This leaves them with only two choices.

They can either “go high” (as Hillary would disingenuously declare of herself and the fake news would disingenuously report as the truth) and begin to honestly and accurately report the news or they can double-down on their usual tactics and hope to defeat Trump with twice their usual hysteria and demagoguery.

The problem for CNN (et al.) with the former is that, if they were to start honestly reporting the news, that would be the end of the Democratic Party they serve.  It is nothing but the incessant use of fake news (read: propaganda) that keeps the Left alive.

Imagine, for example, if CNN had honestly and accurately reported then-candidate Barack Obama’s close ties to foreign terrorists (Rashid Khalidi), domestic terrorists (William Ayers), the mafia (Tony Rezko) or the true evils of his spiritual mentor, Jeremiah Wright’s, church.

Imagine if they had honestly and accurately conveyed the evils of the Obama administration’s weaponizing of the IRS to be used against their political opponents or his running of guns to the Mexican cartels or the truth about the murder of Ambassador Christopher Stevens and the Obama administration’s cover-up.

This makes “going high” a non-starter for CNN.  This leaves them no other option but to ratchet up the fake news, conjuring up the next “nothing burger” and devoting 24 hours a day to hysterical rants about how it’s “worse than Nixon.”

This, obviously, is what CNN has chosen to do.  The problem is that, as they become more and more hysterical, they become more and more obvious.  Each new effort at even faker news than before and faker “outrage” only makes that much more clear to any objective observer that Trump is and always has been right about the fake news media.

And, by causing their hysteria, Trump has forced them into numerous, highly embarrassing and discrediting mistakes.   Thus, in their desperation, they have lowered their standards even further and run with articles so clearly fake that, even with the liberal (lower case “l”) libel laws protecting the media, they’ve had to wholly retract and erase their stories repeatedly.

Their flailing at Trump has even seen them cross the line into criminality, with CNN using their vast corporate fortune to hunt down a private citizen for having made fun of them in an Internet meme.  This threat to “dox” – release of personal information to encourage co-ideologists to visit violence upon him and his family -- a political satirist was chilling in that it clearly wasn’t meant just for him.  If it were, there would have been no reason for CNN to have made their “deal” with him public.

Instead, CNN – playing by “Chicago Rules” – was sending a message to any and all: dissent will not be tolerated.

This heavy-handed and hysterical response to a joke on the Internet has backfired on CNN, giving rise to only more righteous ridicule.

So, to my friends on the Left – and the #NeverTrumpers as well -- do I wish we lived in a time when our president could be “collegial” and “dignified” and “proper”?  Of course I do.   These aren’t those times.  This is war.  And it’s a war that the Left has been fighting  without opposition for the past 50 years.

So, say anything you want about this president – I get it, he can be vulgar, he can be crude, he can be undignified at times.  I don’t care.  I can’t spare this man.  He fights.

Evan Sayet is the author of The KinderGarden of Eden: How The Modern Liberal Thinks.  His lecture to the Heritage Foundation on this same topic remains, some ten years later, by far the single most viewed lecture in their history.  Evan can be reached at contactevansayet@gmail.com.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: November 29, 2017, 01:16:17 PM »
Where are the Britain First clips that the President posted?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: November 29, 2017, 04:36:32 PM »
second post?

I'm reading that the Britain First vids he posted were, like many from BF, bullshit.  IF true-- WTF?!?  C'mon Donald, have  someone vet this stuff before retweeting!!!

Wuzzup with his saying the pussy grabbing tapes are doctored/not his voice or something like that?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: President Trump & Kelly
« Reply #1492 on: December 04, 2017, 09:25:20 PM »

By Michael C. Bender
Dec. 3, 2017 7:00 a.m. ET
501 COMMENTS

WASHINGTON—Chief of Staff John Kelly over the past five months has imposed discipline and rigorous protocols on a freewheeling White House. But President Donald Trump has found the loopholes.

The president on occasion has called White House aides to the private residence in the evening, where he makes assignments and asks them not tell Mr. Kelly about the plans, according to several people familiar with the matter. At least once, aides have declined to carry out the requested task so as not to run afoul of Mr. Kelly, one of these people said.

The president, who values counsel from an informal group of confidants outside the White House, also sometimes bypasses the normal scheduling for phone calls that give other White House staff, including Mr. Kelly, some control and influence over who the president talks to and when.

Instead, some of his friends have taken to calling Melania Trump and asking her to pass messages to her husband, according to two people familiar with the matter. They say that since she arrived in the White House from New York in the summer, the first lady has taken on a more central role as a political adviser to the president.

“If I don’t want to wait 24 hours for a call from the president, getting to Melania is much easier,” one person said.
Capital Tempests

Tax Plan Upends Business Credits
    Top Mueller Aide Was Reassigned
    Bill Aims to Avoid Looming Shutdown

A spokeswoman for Mrs. Trump said: “This is more fake news and these are more anonymous sources peddling things that just aren’t true. The First Lady is focused on her own work in the East Wing.” The White House declined to provide comment.

Mr. Kelly has frequently said that it is his job to control the White House below the president, rather than the president himself. The president’s penchant for what one confidant dubbed “workarounds” to the new White House protocols shows the limits of Mr. Kelly’s approach.

“John has been successful at putting in place a stronger chain of command in the White House, requiring people to go through him to get to the Oval Office,” said Leon Panetta, a White House chief of staff under President Bill Clinton who worked with Mr. Kelly, a four-star Marine general, in the Department of Defense. “The problem has always been whether or not the president is going to accept better discipline in the way he operates. He’s been less successful at that.”
From the Archives
Trump's Chief of Staff John Kelly Faces a Tall Task
Chief of Staff Gen. John Kelly faces the tall task of reforming the White House. Former chiefs of staff weigh in on how they handled one of the toughest jobs in Washington and how Kelly's military experience may shape the coming months of the administration. The WSJ's Shelby Holliday reports. Photo: AP (Originally published Aug. 4, 2017)

Still, White House staffers say that Mr. Trump’s working relationship with Mr. Kelly remains strong and that the two men appear to have found an equilibrium that suggests Mr. Kelly could be in place for a long time, with the chief of staff focusing on running White House operations while the president takes a freer hand with his own agenda and communications, even if that at times leaves the chief of staff out of the loop.

“This is all just inevitable,” said one person close to Mr. Trump. “It’s not that Mr. Kelly is wrong—we all know he’s terribly competent.”

Presidents have long made a point of staying in contact with friends and outside advisers; former President Barack Obama successfully argued with handlers to keep his BlackBerry to remain in touch with the world beyond the White House. What’s striking about Mr. Trump’s actions is that he is circumventing protocols that advisers say are intended to help him.

Since arriving in July, Mr. Kelly has clamped down on a number of practices that aides say made the White House’s internal operations chaotic in the first several months of the Trump presidency. He has told staff there will be no more patching through calls from Trump friends outside the White House who wanted to weigh in on the news; instead they would need appointments. And he stopped aides from wandering into the Oval Office to try to get time with the president.

Mr. Kelly has never aspired to control the president’s Twitter feed, however, which continues to create news, promote the president’s agenda and draw criticism. Just last week, Mr. Trump’s tweets prompted top congressional Democrats to cancel a meeting to discuss the looming deadline for a deal to avoid a government shutdown. He also​ drew a rebuke from British Prime Minister Theresa May for retweeting videos posted by a far-right British nationalist group that purported to show violence committed by Muslims.

On Nov. 12, with many of Mr. Trump’s senior military and diplomatic advisers arguing for diplomacy with North Korea, the president tweeted that the country’s leader, Kim Jong Un, was “short and fat.” Asked about the tweet, posted during the president’s trip to Asia, Mr. Kelly shrugged.

“Believe it or not—I don’t follow the tweets,” he said, adding that he urges White House policy staff not to be influenced by the missives and does not himself use Twitter. “We develop policy in the normal traditional staff way.”

Those who have watched the two men interact said their personalities are too different to ever be very close. “Kelly is too much of a general, and Trump is too much Trump,” one White House official said. But Mr. Trump continues to hold Mr. Kelly in high regard, these people say. He frequently calls out Mr. Kelly during his public appearances.

At a briefing on Hurricane Maria relief efforts in Puerto Rico earlier in the fall, Mr. Trump noted Mr. Kelly’s presence in the back of the room.

“He likes to keep a low profile; Look at him sitting in the back,” Mr. Trump continued. “But, boy, is he watching—you have no idea.”

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: December 08, 2017, 09:48:38 PM »
Fun speech tonight in Pensacola

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
couldn't agree more
« Reply #1494 on: December 15, 2017, 06:12:15 AM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/454668/donald-trump-president-losing-fox-news-viewers-approval-rating

It is not that he tweets
it is the nature of his tweets
I believe he will never get additional support

yeah the rah rahs love it - just no body else.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
POTH Emoluments case goes President Trump's way
« Reply #1495 on: December 21, 2017, 06:17:42 PM »

BREAKING NEWS
President Trump is not in violation of the Emoluments Clause, a judge ruled, dismissing a suit accusing him of profiting through his office

Thursday, December 21, 2017 6:14 PM EST

In a legal victory for the Trump administration, a federal judge dismissed a lawsuit on Thursday that accused President Trump of violating the Constitution by continuing to own and profit from his business empire.
The complaint, filed this year in the Southern District of New York, said that Mr. Trump had harmed plaintiffs in the restaurant and hotel business, including an organization representing more than 200 restaurants and thousands of employees.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
S storm
« Reply #1497 on: January 12, 2018, 06:04:01 AM »
I keep thinking why o why do we have to have the only one who will fight for "America first" be such an impulsive  big mouth .

Just what the GOP needs  a big mouth who will turn every immigrant and non white  against us forever !    :x

If I was Haitian or African I would certainly not forgive this easily if at all.

It is not about what country they come from at all .  It is about their character and their willingness to come to this country to contribute and honest living and be American.

For Gods sake I can't take him anymore.................and I am not even a never Trumpster.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: S storm
« Reply #1498 on: January 12, 2018, 08:22:29 AM »
I keep thinking why o why do we have to have the only one who will fight for "America first" be such an impulsive  big mouth .

Just what the GOP needs  a big mouth who will turn every immigrant and non white  against us forever !    :x

If I was Haitian or African I would certainly not forgive this easily if at all.

It is not about what country they come from at all .  It is about their character and their willingness to come to this country to contribute and honest living and be American.

For Gods sake I can't take him anymore.................and I am not even a never Trumpster.

Another step backward.  Our leaders helping our opponents.  He got tired of winning.  I can support him on policy but how do you tell others he deserves your support.

There are a number of takes on it.  First is Presidential vulgarity.  Not new, but new that we have such immediate reports of it. 

Second, is this a fair characterization of these countries?  Honest people from these countries find truth in the description.  Literally, they can't separate sewage from  drinking water in many of these places.
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/07/29/537945957/you-probably-dont-want-to-know-about-haitis-sewage-problems

Somalia was home of Blackhawk down and still in a decades long civil war with dire humanitarian conditions. Is it a shithole?  Yes.

Third, was he disparaging the PEOPLE from these shitholes?

Here's what he reportedly said:  "Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?" - according to The Washington Post.

It seems to me like a valid question in an immigration debate.  Mixed with the good people are dozens of "dreamers" in Minnesota  convicted in US federal court for joining al Qaida.  No native Norwegians in that mix.  There are gangs from el Salvador committing crimes here, MS-13.  Very few of the foreigners infiltrating MIT, our medical schools and silicon valley come from Haiti of Republic of the Congo.  There are humanitarian refugee problems in the world and there are legitimate questions about which immigrants benefit the USA most.

Rand Paul said today, '700 million people want to come here.  We can't take all of them.'  The refugee problem and our immigration strategy need to be examined independently, IMHO.

Whatever the point was that he was trying to make, he failed miserably.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: January 12, 2018, 11:48:36 AM »