Author Topic: President Trump  (Read 431178 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 02:14:52 PM by ccp »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: President Trump
« Reply #1752 on: December 28, 2019, 06:03:58 PM »
"My father has hired women for major roles for as long as Joe Biden has been rubbing their shoulders, smelling their hair, and breathing on their necks."

Eric Trump

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: December 28, 2019, 08:15:35 PM »
"My father has hired women for major roles for as long as Joe Biden has been rubbing their shoulders, smelling their hair, and breathing on their necks."

Eric Trump

Awesome!

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: December 31, 2019, 10:08:08 AM »
I am looking for President Trump to announce some new rules on New Year's Day for taxes that make for an election year economic stimulus. See previous posts for what I hope they include. He can't announce them in advance because people would postpone their transaction until the new year.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 06:01:30 PM by DougMacG »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: January 06, 2020, 08:37:52 AM »
I am looking for President Trump to announce some new rules on New Year's Day for taxes that make for an election year economic stimulus. See previous posts for what I hope they include. He can't announce them in advance because people would postpone their transaction until the new year.

Were the New Year's economic announcements delayed by the Iran action taking up the news cycle or was I just wrong?

Watcing https://www.whitehouse.gov/

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: January 07, 2020, 02:16:14 PM »
From the Iran thread:  'cultural targets', 'Trump being an ass.'

Besides his bad habits and good policies, I would award him a most improved ribbon:

4 years ago candidate Trump did not know Quds from Kurds:
https://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/252752-trump-blasts-hugh-hewitt-as-a-third-rate-radio-announcer

And he wasn't familiar with the nuclear triad:
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2015/12/17/what-is-nuclear-triad-debate-sot.cnn

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: January 07, 2020, 03:40:40 PM »
 :-D

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: President Trump: SOTU
« Reply #1759 on: February 04, 2020, 07:38:12 AM »
Expect a GREAT State of the Union speech tonight.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
excellent !!! Rush to get MOF announcement at SOTU
« Reply #1761 on: February 04, 2020, 05:01:24 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
SOTU
« Reply #1762 on: February 05, 2020, 05:05:11 AM »
For me that speech was from a titan

(when he behaves himself .  :-D)

God bless Rush .   A Patriot all the way!

I did not watch the Dem response

why bother

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: SOTU
« Reply #1763 on: February 05, 2020, 07:27:16 AM »
I did not watch the Dem response
  why bother
[/quote]

I turned it off at the end too, missed the Pelosi tear up and the rebuttal.  Watched this morning.

Dem response here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=277&v=xc5MJpEkO8g&feature=emb_logo

Her points are worthy of discussion too.  She really had to do extensive research to find positive things Democratic Governors are doing across the country.  Fixing pot holes, bridges, etc. Taking care of the have-nots in their states. Good presentation, good speech.  The answer to many of her points is that those things SHOULD be done by states, cities, counties.  It was not a rebuttal to what the President said: Lowest black and Hispanic unemployment ever, best wage growth in however many years, 7 million new jobs when only 1.9 million were forecasted, millions and millions off of food stamps.  That growth brings revenues to the STATES - who did NOT lower their tax rates.  Why shouldn't they use the money to fix what is broken and deteriorating in their states?  [After they pay off the teachers unions and special interests that got them elected.] But she throws in the right to slaughter their young.  Mentions impeachment, speaking of time wasted on talk, not action.  Fails to mention the Dem's strange emphasis on transgender bathrooms, girls and women's sports destroyed by social engineering, while the President works on wage growth.  Nothing said on their bought-opposition to school choice in Detroit's failed schools.  Nothing on foreign policy, the Democratic President's giveaway of lands won with sacrifice of Michiganders blood and treasure, right back to ISIS, or how her party and the establishment of the other party let China walk all over us for so many years, but not anymore.

Manufacturing came back to Michigan and she can't even give it a mention - because she opposed the policies that led to that.  Her state is on a comeback, not thanks to her.

Thank you President Trump and the Republicans in Washington who re-energized the country without any help from the other side of the aisle.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: SOTU
« Reply #1764 on: February 05, 2020, 08:05:14 AM »
"For me that speech was from a titan
(when he behaves himself .  :-D)
God bless announcing Rush .   A Patriot all the way!"

/quote]

That took enormous guts from both of them.  One day after announcing terminal illness, the President gets him to Washington, seats him next to the First Lady and awards him the Presidential Medal of Freedom, with the biggest possible audience worldwide.

Part of it is that they are friends.  Part is that he deserves it and part is that Trump knows this cements his bond with his base.

Half the audience had no idea Rush was an "inspirational" leader.  They know him only through the hate sites quoting him out of context.  If only we could read the thought bubble over Nancy Pelosi's cartoon head during that honor.
-------------
Trump also hit hard with a ban on late term abortion and the right to prayer in public schools.  What say his general election opponent Buttigieg(?) to that?  People can't understand why 'evangelicals' support Trump.  Maybe because the other side despises them so.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:14:01 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Dem response to SOTU
« Reply #1765 on: February 05, 2020, 08:47:55 AM »
Doug,

Linked to your post on Dem response to SOTU

only 11 minutes (Thank you know who)

reaching out to the suburban moms .
   white lady but very motherly soft spoken
   nod to paying off teachers

mentions about the increasing wealth gap -  I do agree this is not healthy but I don't agree with confiscation of the wealth to bribe their freee stuff crowd as the answer

college education of course mentioned - nod to continue paying off leftist academics while getting to the free college money crowd

health care ( which I see others agreeing with us  :-D will likely be the prominent issue ) . - more health care for those who do have trouble paying for it by making others pay for it.
   Trump did some good work addressing this up front.

the typical Dem condescending phony - truth matters etc........
   ( I never heard Pelosi lie........ :wink:; or Schiffster or love handles Nads)

and of course climate change .  not much I can say about this .  Maybe Trump could push for fusion but the rest of the Left's prescription is bad for us IMO

The Dem response was actually not as obnoxious as the MSM libs .

The main stream media never ever discuss what Trump says or does /did soley on its merits - only that it is partisan , divisive , racial
   anti black anti latino anti babes and the rest......

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Enter President Trump
« Reply #1767 on: February 08, 2020, 07:12:42 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The Atlantic: President Trump and the Military
« Reply #1769 on: February 14, 2020, 04:37:28 PM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/11/military-officers-trump/598360/

Oh no, our esteemed military leadership that hasn't won a war since 1945 is very upset that the Commander in Chief won't defer to their expertise.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: February 14, 2020, 05:09:21 PM »
"Oh no, our esteemed military leadership that hasn't won a war since 1945 is very upset that the Commander in Chief won't defer to their expertise."

Hold it right there GM

we kicked the Cubans off Grenada!

:evil: :-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: February 14, 2020, 07:47:50 PM »
Witty snark no doubt, but for the record I'd say we won the Gulf War pretty decisively and overthrew Saddam pretty decisively.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: February 14, 2020, 08:06:27 PM »
Witty snark no doubt, but for the record I'd say we won the Gulf War pretty decisively and overthrew Saddam pretty decisively.

I keep looking for pictures and articles of Saddam signing an unconditional surrender document at the end of the Gulf War. I haven't found anything yet.

Google must be broken!

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: February 15, 2020, 08:50:04 AM »

I keep looking for pictures and articles of Saddam signing an unconditional surrender document at the end of the Gulf War. I haven't found anything yet.

Google must be broken!

I believe there is such an agreement. I read it at the time. And had a printed copy of it. I believe Google is broken, can't find it.
https://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/index.php?topic=946.msg48276#msg48276

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: February 15, 2020, 09:41:25 AM »
yes I thought of H Bush win

though we got rid of saddam once and for all but not sure I would call it.a win or what
the second time around with W Bush

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: February 15, 2020, 11:00:48 AM »
I would say our military won the war with Saddam but our political leadership lost the peace until our military via the Surge won it again only to have Obama-Biden lose it again.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: February 15, 2020, 06:19:42 PM »

Google must be broken!

I believe there is such an agreement. I read it at the time. And had a printed copy of it. I believe Google is broken, can't find it.
https://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/index.php?topic=946.msg48276#msg48276

unconditional-surrender
Noun

A surrender without conditions, except for those provided by international law.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
headlines like this are just so unnecessary
« Reply #1777 on: February 19, 2020, 05:37:07 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trump-pardon-san-francisco-49ers-owner-eddie-de-bartolo-jr-wexner-223144333.html

he just has to be so much in "your face"

it does look bad when he is pardoning donors

though I recall clinton did it and likely bamster

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: February 19, 2020, 10:28:36 AM »
Yes, Clinton's pardons were far, far worse AND "it does look bad when he is pardoning donors".

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: headlines like this are just so unnecessary
« Reply #1779 on: February 19, 2020, 12:50:19 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
What : Dershowitz : Trump should do more pardons
« Reply #1780 on: February 19, 2020, 04:25:36 PM »
https://www.newsmax.com/politics/alan-dershowitz-trial-penalty-pardon-criminal-justice/2020/02/19/id/954842/

at this rate we will be hearing calls to do away with the entire prison system

MOST crimes go unpunished

this is not helpful!  :-(

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
President Trump and the Milken Pardon
« Reply #1781 on: February 20, 2020, 11:26:34 AM »

The Michael Milken Pardon
Trump’s act of clemency recalls an era rife with the politics of envy.
By The Editorial Board
Feb. 18, 2020 7:28 pm ET

Michael Milken speaks during the Milken Institute Asia Summit in Singapore, Sept. 19, 2019.
PHOTO: PAUL MILLER/BLOOMBERG NEWS
President Trump issued several controversial pardons and grants of clemency on Tuesday, but the most welcome was the pardon to legendary financier Michael Milken. The presidential action recognizes that the Milken prosecution of the late 1980s-early 1990s was an example of prosecutorial excess in an era like our own when political gales were raging about “the greed decade.”

Mr. Milken was one of the great financial innovators of the 20th century. In the 1980s he invented the high-yield bond market that is now a financial staple but in the 1980s made capital available to entrepreneurs and young companies that otherwise couldn’t get it. In the process Mr. Milken and his employer, Drexel Burnham, challenged established Wall Street firms and corporate elites. The innovation helped to usher in two decades of rapid American growth and prosperity.

OPINION LIVE EVENT
Election 2020 and the Future of American Politics

Join WSJ Opinion’s Paul Gigot and Kimberley Strassel with guests Marie Harf and Karl Rove as they discuss the upcoming election at the Perot Museum of Nature and Science in Dallas on Tuesday, April 14 at 7 p.m.. Sign up here.

It also made them political targets as prosecutors riding an anti-Wall Street populist wave investigated insider trading. The prosecutions, using the RICO statute usually reserved for the mob, turned up some genuine crooks but also prominent Wall Street figures who were largely innocent. Ivan Boesky, a genuine crook, produced information in return for leniency that led prosecutors to Mr. Milken, a bigger prize.

Drexel Burnham eventually went bust under the pressure. Mr. Milken fought the charges for some time but eventually pleaded guilty to six felonies after prosecutors targeted his brother Lowell. He was never charged with insider trading but was given a 10-year sentence out of proportion to his offenses that the judge later reduced to two years.

Most of the original securities prosecutions of that era were overturned by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, though only after Mr. Milken had served 21 months in prison. “The charges filed against Mr. Milken were truly novel,” said Tuesday’s White House statement on the pardon. “In fact, one of the lead prosecutors later admitted that Mr. Milken had been charged with numerous technical offenses and regulatory violations that had never before been charged as crimes.”

In an irony for the ages, the U.S. Attorney in Manhattan at the time whose office led the prosecutions was Rudy Giuliani, who had his sights set on a campaign for New York mayor. Tuesday’s White House statement said Mr. Giuliani is among those who urged Mr. Trump to pardon Mr. Milken.

The White House statement also lists our proprietor, Rupert Murdoch, as a pardon advocate, among many others. For the record, these columns endorsed a pardon for Mr. Milken as long ago as Dec. 13, 2000, when news reports said Bill Clinton was considering it at the urging of financier Ron Burkle, whom the White House also mentioned on Tuesday.

The pardon erases Mr. Milken’s conviction, but the 73-year-old says he has no plans to return to the securities industry. It’s a shame the world was denied his expertise on that score for so long. Instead he has devoted his post-prison life to philanthropy through his family foundation with wife Lori and the Milken Institute.

His charitable priorities have included education, medical research, and spreading capital to the poor in the U.S. and around the world. His FasterCures project has saved countless lives by pushing the medical and regulatory communities to speed therapies for such afflictions as prostate cancer and melanoma.

Most of the media won’t share our view of this pardon, which is instructive about our politics then and now. Numerous journalists made their careers from prosecutors’ leaks against Mr. Milken and others on Wall Street, and they have a reputational stake in denying him any vindication.

Then as now the political air was also thick with a desire to punish the wealthy. Such vapors are easy to ride, but they don’t equate with justice. In the long run of history, Mike Milken has done more good for more people with his financial innovations and philanthropy than all the scribes of envy politics ever will.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: February 20, 2020, 02:30:24 PM »
". The Michael Milken Pardon
Trump’s act of clemency recalls an era rife with the politics of envy.
By The Editorial Board
Feb. 18, 2020 7:28 pm ET"

This has got to be the Wall Street Journal.

"Most of the media won’t share our view of this pardon"

Neither do I.  Milken with his prostate cancer has done just fine since.

I doubt even 1% if the corruption on WAll STreet is ever revealed

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
all the pardons have inside connections
« Reply #1783 on: February 20, 2020, 02:41:17 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Trump's Pardons
« Reply #1784 on: February 20, 2020, 07:13:09 PM »
You're not the only person to whom that has occurred.

BTW, a rather powerful summary of some facts in the Roger Stone saga:

https://thehill.com/opinion/criminal-justice/483620-free-roger-stone

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: March 12, 2020, 09:44:06 AM »
Brazilian official who met Trump on Saturday at Mar-a-Lago tests positive for coronavirus
Fabio Wajngarten, communications secretary to Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, stood with Trump and Pence for a photograph taken at Mar-a-Lago.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: President Trump and the virus, Walter Russell Mead
« Reply #1788 on: March 26, 2020, 05:57:41 AM »
Along with Prof. VDH, Prof. WRM is my other favorite Democrat. 

"If conventional U.S. political leaders had been properly doing their jobs, Donald Trump would still be hosting a television show."

He explains the Trump connection to the people in a way the political establishment, foreign policy establishment and the media establishment cannot see.  This article has excellent analysis all the way through. 
----------------------------
The Coronavirus May Make Trump Stronger
Gallup finds 60% of voters approve of his handling of the crisis. As usual, the establishment is clueless.

By Walter Russell Mead,   WSJ Opinion / American Interest
March 25, 2020

This is not what his critics expected. At 49% overall job approval in the latest Gallup poll, and with 60% approval of the way he is handling the coronavirus epidemic, President Trump’s standing with voters has improved even as the country closed down and the stock market underwent a historic meltdown. That may change as this unpredictable crisis develops, but bitter and often justified criticism of Mr. Trump’s decision making in the early months of the pandemic has so far failed to break the bond between the 45th president and his political base.

One reason Mr. Trump’s opponents have had such a hard time damaging his connection with voters is that they still don’t understand why so many Americans want a wrecking-ball presidency. Beyond attributing Mr. Trump’s support to a mix of racism, religious fundamentalism and profound ignorance, the president’s establishment opponents in both parties have yet to grasp the depth and intensity of the populist energy that animates his base and the Bernie Sanders movement.

The sheer number of voters in open political rebellion against centrist politics is remarkable. Adding the Sanders base (36% of the Democratic vote in the latest Real Clear Politics poll average, or roughly 13% of the national vote considering that about 45% of voters lean Democratic) to the core Trump base of roughly 42%, and around 55% of U.S. voters now support politicians who openly despise the central assumptions of the political establishment.

That a majority of the electorate is this deeply alienated from the establishment can’t be dismissed as bigotry and ignorance. There are solid and serious grounds for doubting the competence and wisdom of America’s self-proclaimed expert class. What is so intelligent and enlightened, populists ask, about a foreign-policy establishment that failed to perceive that U.S. trade policies were promoting the rise of a hostile Communist superpower with the ability to disrupt supplies of essential goods in a national emergency? What competence have the military and political establishments shown in almost two decades of tactical success and strategic impotence in Afghanistan? What came of that intervention in Libya? What was the net result of all the fine talk in the Bush and Obama administrations about building democracy in the Middle East?

On domestic policy, the criticism is equally trenchant and deeply felt. Many voters believe that the U.S. establishment has produced a health-care system that is neither affordable nor universal. Higher education saddles students with increasing debt while leaving many graduates woefully unprepared for good jobs in the real world. The centrist establishment has amassed unprecedented deficits without keeping roads, bridges and pipes in good repair. It has weighed down cities and states with unmanageable levels of pension debt.

The culture of social promotion and participation trophies is not, populists feel, confined to U.S. kindergartens and elementary schools. Judging by performance, they conclude that people rise in the American establishment by relentless virtue-signaling; by going along with conventional wisdom, however foolish; and by forgiving the failures of others and having their own overlooked in return.

The blame game playing out over how the president has handled the coronavirus epidemic reflects the dynamics of this struggle. Mr. Trump’s establishment critics want a narrow fight over the dismal trail of bluster, evasions, missed opportunities and failed predictions that marked the president’s approach to the virus earlier in the year. Like many criticisms of Mr. Trump, these arguments against him are by and large correct and significant and it is part of the proper job of a free press to make them.

However, Mr. Trump’s supporters are not comparing him with an omniscient leader who always does the right thing, but with the establishment—including the bulk of the mainstream media—that largely backed a policy of engagement with China long after its pitfalls became clear. For Americans who lost their jobs to Chinese competition or who fear the possibility of a new cold war against an economically potent and technologically advanced power, Mr. Trump’s errors pale before those of the bipartisan American foreign-policy consensus.

The establishment’s massive, decadeslong failure to think through the consequences of empowering Communist China and creating a trading relationship that, among other things, left the U.S. dependent on Beijing for pharmaceuticals is a much less excusable and more consequential error than anything Donald Trump has done in 2020—and it has a direct bearing on the mess we are in.

Attacks on the establishment aren’t always rational or fair. They can be one-sided and fail to do justice to the accomplishments the U.S. has made in the recent past. Populism on both the left and the right always attracts its share of snake-oil salesmen, and America’s current antiestablishment surge is no exception. But the U.S. establishment won’t prosper again until it comes to grip with a central political fact: Populism rises when establishment leadership fails. If conventional U.S. political leaders had been properly doing their jobs, Donald Trump would still be hosting a television show.

Unless the president’s opponents take the full measure of this public discontent, they will be continually surprised by his resilience against media attacks. And until the establishment undertakes a searching and honest inventory of the tangled legacy of American foreign and domestic policy since the end of the Cold War, expect populism to remain a potent part of the political scene.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Nolte letter to Trump
« Reply #1792 on: April 28, 2020, 12:30:58 PM »
long time supporter, like all of us worried his poll numbers keep tanking - and they do for good reason.

The idea of simply moving to the Rose Garden where he can real journalist, who are not Democratic machine operatives could help:

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/2020/04/28/nolte-donald-trump-must-stop-wrestling-with-the-media-pigs/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
CNN vouches for President Trump
« Reply #1793 on: May 17, 2020, 10:20:39 AM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: May 18, 2020, 04:38:15 AM »
"The world retains its ability to surprise:

'If I were to run, I'd run as a Republican. They're the dumbest group of voters in the country. They believe anything on Fox News. I could lie and they'd still eat it up"

yes surprised CNN would call it this wrong

maybe since they themselves call Republicans the dumbest bunch of voters in the world ("his base") everyday they don't can pretend objectivism here. 

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: May 27, 2020, 07:14:15 AM »
A Presidential Smear
Trump imitates the Steele dossier in attacks on Joe Scarborough.
By The WSJ Editorial Board
May 26, 2020 7:23 pm ET

Donald Trump sometimes traffics in conspiracy theories—recall his innuendo in 2016 about Ted Cruz’s father and the JFK assassination—but his latest accusation against MSNBC host Joe Scarborough is ugly even for him. Mr. Trump has been tweeting the suggestion that Mr. Scarborough might have had something to do with the death in 2001 of a young woman who worked in his Florida office when Mr. Scarborough was a GOP Congressman.

“A lot of interest in this story about Psycho Joe Scarborough. So a young marathon runner just happened to faint in his office, hit her head on his desk, & die? I would think there is a lot more to this story than that? An affair? What about the so-called investigator? Read story!” Mr. Trump tweeted Saturday while retweeting a dubious account of the case.

He kept it going Tuesday with new tweets: “The opening of a Cold Case against Psycho Joe Scarborough was not a Donald Trump original thought, this has been going on for years, long before I joined the chorus. . . . So many unanswered & obvious questions, but I won’t bring them up now! Law enforcement eventually will?” Nasty stuff, and from the Oval Office to more than 80 million Twitter followers.

There’s no evidence of foul play, or an affair with the woman, and the local coroner ruled that the woman fainted from an undiagnosed heart condition and died of head trauma. Some on the web are positing a conspiracy because the coroner had left a previous job under a cloud, but the parents and husband of the young woman accepted the coroner’s findings and want the case to stay closed.

Mr. Trump always hits back at critics, and Mr. Scarborough has called the President mentally ill, among other things. But suggesting that the talk-show host is implicated in the woman’s death isn’t political hardball. It’s a smear. Mr. Trump rightly denounces the lies spread about him in the Steele dossier, yet here he is trafficking in the same sort of trash.

Rep. Adam Kinzinger, a Republican from Illinois, had it right when he tweeted on the weekend: “Completely unfounded conspiracy. Just stop. Stop spreading it, stop creating paranoia. It will destroy us.”

We don’t write this with any expectation that Mr. Trump will stop. Perhaps he even thinks this helps him politically, though we can’t imagine how. But Mr. Trump is debasing his office, and he’s hurting the country in doing so.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
If only , he had more character
« Reply #1796 on: May 27, 2020, 07:32:34 AM »
".We don’t write this with any expectation that Mr. Trump will stop. Perhaps he even thinks this helps him politically, though we can’t imagine how. But Mr. Trump is debasing his office, and he’s hurting the country in doing so."

Yup
if he was a Democrat I would have TDS too.  Indeed I would love to send him. home packing knowing he LOST and let him stew over it
like he likes to do to so many people many of whom do not deserve it.

he is just so utterly repulsive

and like someone with a personality disorder he can't see it and has to blame others, so no , he won't stop .  It has always amazed me how people with these disorders just cannot take responsibility for anything.

sadly I will not be surprised if enough people have felt enough of this sick childish BS that he will lose
I think his chance of a win maybe ~ 1/3.  Like I posted before we can only hope Biden is worse. So far his handlers and baby sitters have been able to minimize him from getting  out of his basement.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
this is over the line
« Reply #1797 on: June 03, 2020, 04:11:42 PM »

for the powerful President of the US
to tweet about a single unknown person
without due process
I don't care about police looking for person of interest
but for the President to be doing this ?

://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-tweets-ohio-man-protest-014037091.html

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
The Confessions of John Bolton
« Reply #1798 on: June 19, 2020, 01:32:49 PM »
The Confessions of John Bolton
It’s quaint, we know, but whatever happened to honor in public service?
By The Editorial Board
June 18, 2020 7:14 pm ET

On the matter of John Bolton’s book, it’s hard to tell who looks worse: the former national security adviser for writing it while President Trump is still in office, his lifelong political opponents who now hail Mr. Bolton as a truth teller, or the President of the United States as depicted in the book.

Mr. Bolton has been a frequent Journal contributor across his long public life, and he’s a defender of American interests. We have gone to the barricades on his behalf more than a few times. His account of Mr. Trump’s private words and actions sounds right because the President often says similar things in public. As far as we know, Mr. Bolton has never lied to us.

Yet we also have to wonder what happened to honor in public service. Presidents should have some expectation that their advisers will wait until they kiss and tell, especially about their private conversations with foreign leaders. It used to be that advisers wouldn’t write about the Presidents they served until they had left office.

These days too many advisers bid for fame the minute they leave the White House, and Mr. Bolton has managed to do so in the middle of a re-election campaign. Mr. Trump didn’t treat him well, but the President treats few people well beyond his immediate family. Mr. Bolton certainly knew what to expect when he accepted the job.

Even if his motivation in publishing his book now is to block Mr. Trump’s re-election, there’s no reason for Mr. Bolton to disclose private comments by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. All he’s doing is undermining Mr. Pompeo’s ability to influence Mr. Trump away from bad policy mistakes. Mr. Bolton’s book is a blot on his distinguished career, and the contents will not help his country no matter who wins the November election.

Even worse are the Democrats and media who now hail Mr. Bolton’s book as holy writ after spending decades fighting everything he stands for. Joe Biden was among the Senate Democrats who filibustered Mr. Bolton’s nomination to be U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations in 2005 for no reason but partisan spite. Yet on Wednesday Mr. Biden issued a statement endorsing Mr. Bolton’s version of events without caveat.

As for Mr. Trump, the book’s excerpts carry no real surprises. The details are depressing against the standards one expects from a President. But voters know Mr. Trump has little tact, is untutored in foreign affairs, operates on personal instincts more than any guiding principles, and looks at nearly everything almost entirely through the prism of what is good for him.

Mr. Trump is hardly unique in gearing policy to his re-election. Recall Barack Obama’s “the tide of war is receding” in 2012 even as Islamic State mobilized. But it is still cringe-worthy to learn that Mr. Trump wrote his defense of U.S.-Saudi ties after Jamal Khashoggi’s murder to deflect from his daughter Ivanka’s troubles. And it’s revolting if Mr. Bolton is right that Mr. Trump gave Xi Jinping a moral blank check to hold a million Uighurs in concentration camps.

Voters can add all this to everything else they’ve learned in three and a half years as they decide whether to give Mr. Trump four more in the Oval Office. His character flaws and their considerable risks for a second term will be measured against Mr. Biden’s ebbing vigor and his increasing deference to the Democratic Party’s Jacobin left. As Winston Churchill said, democracy is the worst form of government except for all the others.
==============

What is the reference to Ivanka's troubles?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 01:34:38 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
President Trump: MAGA-- for all
« Reply #1799 on: June 19, 2020, 02:00:39 PM »
second post

MAGA—for All
Trump needs to give voters a reason to support him. He’s working on it.

By Kimberley A. Strassel
June 18, 2020 6:48 pm ET

Potomac Watch: Trump needs to give voters a reason to support him. He’s working on it.

President Trump convened a roundtable last week in Dallas, which the media described as a talk on police and race relations. It was much more. Some Republicans are beginning to hope it was the basis of a compelling second-term agenda.

As national unrest continues, Democrats are intent on limiting this debate to law-enforcement brutality and “racism.” Mr. Trump’s Dallas event was an effort to broaden the discussion into one about “advancing the cause of justice and freedom.” Part of that, Mr. Trump said, was working together to “confront bigotry and prejudice.” As important, he added, is providing “opportunity” to every American.

The president handed it over to Attorney General William Barr, who called education the “civil-rights issue of our time” and argued for school choice. Housing Secretary Ben Carson discussed efforts to use telemedicine to remedy health-care disparities. Scott Turner, executive director of the White House Opportunity and Revitalization Council, touted the success of “opportunity zones,” created in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, which have funneled tens of billions of dollars into distressed communities.

Mr. Trump campaigned in 2016 to work on behalf of “forgotten” Americans—whether they be in struggling blue-collar areas, inner-city minority communities, or rural towns. As fate would have it, both the coronavirus and George Floyd’s death have shined a spotlight on glaring disparities in the country. The white-collar elite work safely from home in shut-down cities, while hands-on workers and small-business owners become economic statistics. The focus on rare cases of police abuse has resurfaced the all-too-common reality of so many African-American communities—crime, high unemployment, poor health care, failing schools.

In those bleak headlines is an opening for Mr. Trump to embrace a second-term “opportunity” agenda, a promise that free-market policies won’t only revive the struggling economy but throw it open to those forgotten Americans. So far, Mr. Trump has seemed content to let the race with Joe Biden boil down to a debate over the past four years and whether the Democrat is too radical or too incompetent to be trusted. Those points will certainly energize the Republican base. But making inroads with independents, minority voters and suburban housewives will require something more concrete and aspirational. Why not an “American Dream” theme?

That’s the case many Republicans are making to the White House, even as they think about how to refine it. One benefit of such an agenda is that it doesn’t require the administration to try to package a theme around disparate or expensive proposals like infrastructure or tax credits. It gives the president something more to pitch than a return to lost prosperity. And it provides the Trump campaign with an opportunity to make inroads with minority voters—crucial in a close race.

The greatest merit of an opportunity agenda is that it rests on core conservative policies and principles. It’s about tailoring them—and ramping them up—to serve struggling communities. That’s the brilliance of opportunity zones, which South Carolina’s Sen. Tim Scott got included in the 2017 tax reform. He harnessed the power of smart tax relief and directed it at underserved, struggling communities. School choice is, likewise, about providing minority parents the opportunity to rescue their kids from crummy schools. Health-care choice is about giving poor Americans the opportunity to escape Medicaid. Deregulation is about providing more Americans the opportunity to engage in entrepreneurship.

Even better, the Trump administration already has the record, people and infrastructure to build on this theme. The common and absurd claim that Mr. Trump is “racist” has always been belied by the diversity of his administration and the programs it has pursued. Sentencing reform. An unprecedented focus on vocational education. Funding for historically black colleges. Tackling the opioid epidemic. Mr. Trump in 2018 set up the Opportunity and Revitalization Council, which Messrs. Turner and Carson oversee. In May the council put out a report brimming with case studies and best practices for spurring investment in economically distressed areas.

Promoters also note that an American Dream theme is optimistic and inclusive—a needed contrast to perpetual Democratic anger, partisan and racial animus, the fear and gloom of the virus. The administration aside, that kind of positive agenda could prove a lifeline for Senate Republicans who have been provided little that is forward-looking to campaign on, and who aren’t running against Mr. Biden.

But perhaps the best argument for this agenda is that Mr. Trump already believes in it. Advisers note that there’s a reason he talks so frequently about the historically low black and Hispanic unemployment rates; he’s genuinely proud of them. The 2016 slogan was “Make America Great Again.” It would be no lift for Mr. Trump to add a couple of words and sell what he has done, and what he could with four more years. “Make America Great Again—for All.”