« Reply #1600 on: August 01, 2024, 06:13:40 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: Forgotten but not Gone
« Reply #1601 on: August 01, 2024, 06:05:55 PM »

Biden: Forgotten but Not Gone
Behind the scenes, he’s campaigning for Harris by buying off key constituencies.
Kimberley A. Strassel
By
Kimberley A. Strassel
Follow
Aug. 1, 2024 5:37 pm ET

Gift unlocked article

Listen

(6 min)

President Joe Biden speaks at the White House in Washington, Aug. 1. PHOTO: MICHAEL REYNOLDS/SHUTTERSTOCK
You might not know it—and Democrats would prefer you didn’t—but Joe Biden is still president, with 5½ months to go. Republicans would be foolish to overlook his agenda and substantial power to gild Kamala Harris’s path to the White House.

Not that Mr. Biden will be giving many speeches on her behalf. His gifts will be transactional, the buying of constituencies. The latest example: Mr. Biden’s embrace this week of the most destructive assault on the Supreme Court since FDR’s court-packing scheme. Ms. Harris quickly signed on to Mr. Biden’s call for term limits and an “enforceable” ethics code, winning applause from progressive activists.

It’s only the start. The White House—unable to campaign on an inflation-ridden economy, a chaotic border, persistent crime or a disordered world—last year laid out its fallback strategy: It would hand out dishes of red meat to core constituencies. What was already a polished Biden re-election plan is now a gift to Kamala—and may even be worth more than his campaign-dollar war chest. The administration is throwing open its toolbox of policy promises, handouts, regulatory crackdowns and “walking around” money to earn chits, gratitude and ultimately votes. Remember the furor when Mr. Trump’s name showed up on those election-year Covid checks? That’s infant’s play.

The “Biden-Harris administration” this week announced “the next step” in its sweeping student-loan giveaway, with guidance emailed to millions of debtors to skate out of billions. The week before Mr. Biden’s withdrawal, his team rolled out a radical plan for nationwide rent control—threatening to strip landlords of tax breaks if they don’t cap rent increases. It’s a lure to millions of American voters struggling with mortgage and rent escalations.

News dropped Wednesday that military prosecutors agreed to a plea deal of life imprisonment for three odious 9/11 terrorists, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell called the move “revolting,” yet the deal elicited cheers from the American Civil Liberties Union and other left-wing groups anxious to deny a future President Trump the ability to pursue the death penalty and for Mr. Biden to comply with their demand that he shut down the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay.

The financial gifts and federally funded campaign reminders also continue to flow. The administration on Wednesday announced that the U.S. Department of Agriculture has issued $2.2 billion to 43,000 “farmers, ranchers, and forest landowners who experienced discrimination prior to January 2021”—part of an Inflation Reduction Act program. Federal departments in recent weeks larded out millions in new grants for women’s health, state climate programs, tribal fisheries, youth “skills” development, and other core Democratic demographics. Thousands of signs across America remind drivers the road project they are witnessing was “funded by President Joe Biden’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law.”

Regulators are doing their part to jam through a final Biden legacy and keep special-interest groups on board with November turnout operations. Big Labor is getting new “worker heat-protection” rules and new prevailing-wage requirements for clean-energy projects. Big Green is getting chemical and air-toxin crackdowns, a new regulatory regime for national wildlife refuges, tougher offshore drilling rules, and another round of onerous efficiency standards on commercial equipment and residential boilers. Consumer advocates and tort lawyers are getting the latest crackdown on “junk fees” and even a possible Federal Trade Commission war against alcohol pricing.

With Harris momentum now threatening to make this another squeaker of a presidential election, every little bit counts. Her substitution for Mr. Biden has already brought Democratic enthusiasm up to levels nearly matching Mr. Trump’s, and these White House gifts and promises are designed to smooth over cracks in the base and to tantalize activists and donors with a reminder of how beautiful another eight years of Democratic governance would be.

Republicans can’t stop this grifting, but they commit political malpractice by continuing to ignore it—allowing Mr. Biden, his unpopular agenda, and these latest expressions of far-left pandering to recede to an afterthought. That’s exactly the left’s plan from now until November: Ensure the general public never again claps eyes on the failing octogenarian, even as he works behind the scenes to ensure key voting groups feel the thrill of progressive power. That’s how the media is getting away with presenting Ms. Harris as a fresh-faced future, rather than as an avatar of a presidential agenda that remains 15 points underwater with voters.

Are Republicans really going to let that happen? Mr. Trump takes the occasional shot at Mr. Biden’s age and laces into Ms. Harris as “not very smart.” But the whole of the GOP needs to be engaged in a whole-of-election message reminding Americans of the ugly Biden policies of past and present, and Kamala’s promise to carry them into the future.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Noonan: The Strengths of Harris
« Reply #1602 on: August 01, 2024, 06:10:51 PM »
The Fight of Trump’s Political Life
Kamala Harris has the wind at her back. Her strengths became clearer in the past two weeks.
By Peggy Noonan
Aug. 1, 2024 5:52 pm ET

Those who think about politics and history as a profession can’t resist comparing presidential years. “This is 1968 all over again.” “We’re back to the dynamics of ’72.” We do this because we know political history and love it, and because there are always parallels and lessons to be learned.

But it should be said as a reminder: This year isn’t like any previous time.

This is the year of the sudden, historically disastrous debate, the near-assassination of one of the nominees, the sudden removal of the president from his ticket, the sudden elevation of a vice president her own party had judged a liability, and her suddenly pulling even in a suddenly truncated campaign.

We have never had this year. And it continues to astound.

Kamala Harris just got two excellent weeks in the clear. Donald Trump’s campaign had to take her down early or at least hit her hard—and didn’t. She has the wind at her back; he’s scattered and stuck on the back of his heels. This week she had a good rally in Atlanta; he went before a hostile National Association of Black Journalists, was taken aback by his first questioner’s accusatory tone, matched her energy, and revealed, if you didn’t know, how cutting and personal the coming months will be.

What is remarkable is how surprised the Trump campaign seems to have been by Ms. Harris. Why? Smart people understood Joe Biden would eventually have to step aside, and she was his most likely replacement. Why have they responded as if shocked? We have a trough of videos of her talking, it’s devastating. Where is it? Is that all you’ll need to make a coherent case? When are you going to locate the meaning of this thing?

“San Francisco liberal,” “way too radical.” All that feels tired, the reflex of an aged muscle. It sounds like the 1990s. This isn’t the ’90s. New ages need new arguments, or at least arguments freshly cast.

Can Mr. Trump shift gears? He grew up, as I did, watching “The Ed Sullivan Show.” I’m sure it was on every Sunday night at 8 at the Trump house in Queens. On that show you saw every week the great Borscht Belt comics of 1950-70. Their timing—“Take my wife—please!”—is ingrained in him. What he does now is shtick, because he likes to entertain and is a performer. The boat’s sinking, the battery’s spitting, the shark’s coming! As Hannibal Lecter said, “I’d love to have you for dinner!”

This works so perfectly for those who support him. For everyone else it’s just more evidence of psychopathology. He has to freshen up his act. Can he?

Ms. Harris will dominate the coming week with the unveiling of her vice-presidential choice. Then there will be the convention, in which they’ll pull out all stops. And then August will be over. Meaning a third of the 100-day campaign will be over. Does Mr. Trump know that he’s fighting for his life?

I want to take a quick look at some factors that are major pluses for Ms. Harris.

• She is new. She seems a turning of the page away from Old Old Biden and Old Old Trump. She looks new, like a new era. She displays vigor and the joy of the battle. The mainstream media is on her side. Coverage hasn’t been tough or demanding.

• On policy she is bold to the point of shameless. This week she essentially said: You know those policies I stood for that you don’t like? I changed my mind! Her campaign began blithely disavowing previous stands, with no explanation. From the New York Times’s Reid Epstein: “The Harris campaign announced on Friday that the vice president no longer wanted to ban fracking, a significant shift from where she stood four years ago.” Campaign officials said she also now supports “increased funding for border enforcement; no longer supported a single-payer health insurance program; and echoed Mr. Biden’s call for banning assault weapons but not a requirement to sell them to the federal government.” It’s remarkable, she’s getting away with it, and it’s no doubt just the beginning. It will make it harder for the Trump campaign with its devastating videos.

Will the left of her party let her tack toward moderation? Yes. She’s what they’ve got, and in any case people on the wings of both parties have a way of recognizing their own. Progressives aren’t protesting her new stands: That’s the dog that didn’t bark.

• She too is a born performer. She knows what she’s doing when she’s campaigning. She is less sure of what she’s doing when she’s governing. But she gets a race. Running for the 2020 Democratic nomination, she wasn’t good at strategy or policy, but the part involving performing and being a public person and speaking with merry conviction—she gets that and is good at it.

• She is beautiful. You can’t take a bad picture of her. Her beauty, plus the social warmth that all who have known her over the years speak of, combines to produce: radiance. It is foolish to make believe this doesn’t matter. Politicians themselves are certain it matters, which is why so many in that male-dominated profession have taken to Botox, fillers, dermabrasion, face lifts, all the cosmetic things. Because they’re in a cosmetic profession.

• She has a wave of pent-up support behind her. By November we’ll know if something big happened. Barack Obama deliberately, painstakingly put new constituencies together. He created a movement. It had fervor and energy. What we may see this year is something different—that a movement created Kamala Harris. That is, the old constituencies held, maintained fervor and rose again when Mr. Biden stepped aside and Ms. Harris was put on top. I’m not sure we’ve seen that before.

She has many particular challenges. One is this: When you see Mr. Trump, that’s Trump. He is what you think he is. He doesn’t hide much. You look at him and think (pro or con), OK, I get it, I know who that guy is. When you see Ms. Harris, is that Harris? Is what she is showing you her? You wonder, “Is this real and genuine?” I wonder how she’ll address that or answer it.

Another: She stumbles in interviews. Will she try to get away with not doing any?

Another: People will continue to wonder how liberal she is, and how strong she is, but I think an equally or more important question will be how serious she is. Does she think seriously, deeply, soberly? I haven’t seen her betray this tendency. Mr. Obama was a serious man, Hillary Clinton was fully understood as a serious woman. (That’s why her campaign could produce and she could capitalize on the famous “3 a.m. phone call” ad.) Is Ms. Harris? Is she a credible commander of the U.S. nuclear arsenal?

Some will respond, “But Donald Trump isn’t serious!” My answer would be: That’s why he lost the popular vote twice. If Democrats lose the popular vote, they almost certainly lose the election.

Mr. Trump himself would reply: I controlled the nuclear arsenal for four years. Nothing blew up."

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2024
« Reply #1603 on: August 01, 2024, 08:55:42 PM »
"On policy she is bold to the point of shameless. This week she essentially said: You know those policies I stood for that you don’t like? I changed my mind! Her campaign began blithely disavowing previous stands, with no explanation. From the New York Times’s Reid Epstein: “The Harris campaign announced on Friday that the vice president no longer wanted to ban fracking, a significant shift from where she stood four years ago.”

me:
it worked for Clinton.  with one speech he completely changed his tune his policies and stood there acting as though he was all for that all along.

The polls went up 15 points,  the media was googoo gaaggaa
and Rush said was he is once in a  century politician.   (he would not have been had he been a Republican)

The rest of us knew he was full of shit.

" Can Mr. Trump shift gears? He grew up, as I did, watching “The Ed Sullivan Show.” I’m sure it was on every Sunday night at 8 at the Trump house in Queens. On that show you saw every week the great Borscht Belt comics of 1950-70. Their timing—“Take my wife—please!”—is ingrained in him. What he does now is shtick, because he likes to entertain and is a performer. The boat’s sinking, the battery’s spitting, the shark’s coming! As Hannibal Lecter said, “I’d love to have you for dinner!”

This works so perfectly for those who support him. For everyone else it’s just more evidence of psychopathology. He has to freshen up his act. Can he"

me : of course not. that is why he never polls above 45 % .

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024, Kamala in Poetry. "Oops" by Tarzana Joe
« Reply #1604 on: August 02, 2024, 04:19:53 AM »
“The Harris campaign announced on Friday that the vice president no longer wanted to ban fracking, a significant shift from where she stood four years ago.”

[Doug]  Of course she wants to band fracking, of course she wants to cancel Pipelines, of course she wants to Ben fossil fuels and stop you from heating your home and keep you from driving, just not during campaigns.

In response to Media coverage of Kamala:
-------------------------
tarzanajoe.com

Oops!

When I review my failings
(And, oh, the time it takes)
I see the bad decisions
And the cascade of mistakes

Recalling what I tried to do
When I knew I couldn’t
The girls I should have dated
And all the ones I shouldn’t

The wrong turns that I’ve taken
On urban roads and rural
Leading me to ask myself
Does “faux pas” have a plural

I can’t pretend they don’t exist
I wish that I could fake it
Take my life-long etch-a-sketch
And vigorously shake it

But soft!  Perhaps there is a path
To carry out my mission
I’ll just become a Democrat
And then a politician

Positions that I’ve taken
And the tweets that I regret
Those will be deleted
So I don’t have to forget

The ones who have been whispering
Their doubts behind my back
Now will sing my praises
And ask to join my P.A.C.

The policies I voted for
That then became disasters
Will be loaded into dumpsters
And rolled away on casters

My blunders will go bye-bye
And my faults go undetected
My prospects once thought waning
Will now be resurrected

I’m sorry to have said it
But these are just the facts
Who says that in America
There are no second acts

By tarzanajoepoetry|August 1st, 2024
« Last Edit: August 02, 2024, 05:14:07 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: August 02, 2024, 06:40:13 AM »
yup

we are told the worst President in history is near the top
and the worst VP is the riveting exciting genius whose wheelhouse is foreign policy!

pollster john mclaughlin was on Curtis Sliwa this AM and told us the polls that show Kamala ahead are faux polls that are heavily favored to the DEMs.  Trump still leads in all battleground states.

he states the blacks were ~ 28 % Trump prior to Harris and now 18%. Hispanics 40s to high 30s now.

all about race and free stuff.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024, Democrat 'Democracy' Dishonesty
« Reply #1606 on: August 02, 2024, 04:45:03 PM »
A few scattered thoughts.  A year or so ago conventional 'wisdom' said Democrats needed Biden to beat Trump and Republicans needed Trump to beat Biden. (Ignore the contradiction.) 

In the primary campaign, plenty of Republicans stepped up to challenge Trump, splitting the half of the R vote that wasn't supporting Trump.  Trump wouldn't debate them so they fought each other until they all lost - to Trump.

No Democrat of significance stepped up to challenge Biden.  Rookie Dean Phillips suggested 'passing the torch to a new generation' but would not say aloud Biden was too old or too infirm, nor differ on any policy.  Biden won all the primaries.

Some of us (me) were hoping Biden would drop out because that might change the dynamic on the R side - against Trump.  DeSantis debated Newsom but like most of the campaign, it was of no significance. 

Biden said he's fine.  Kamala said he's fine.  Staff said he's fine.  Klooney said he's fine.  Meanwhile he slurred, stumbled and couldn't remember when he was Vice President or what the country was like when he was elected President.  But he won every primary voter, every primary and every delegate.

Then the debate happened.  The debate was really just more of the same, slur and stumble and say Trump was the worst President ever, a threat to democracy, a convicted felon.  But the polls happened and there was nothing in the debate to turn the polls around. 

Biden said I'm not going anywhere.  I can win, you'll see!  I'll prove I can do it.  Kamala stood behind him - publicly - while working behind the scenes with the Puppet Masters who chose her to force him out.  The heart of the force, as Hersh reported and everyone could see, was they would force him out of the Presidency if he didn't drop from the race.

So Democrats get a candidate no primary voter chose and Republicans get a candidate chosen to match up against the guy who was forced out.

Republicans get a VP / presumed successor no voter chose, and Dems will get a VP chosen by a candidate no voter chose.

"Democracy", the Puppet Masters sing.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2024, 04:58:17 PM by DougMacG »

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Dem Talking Points? Preach ‘Em!
« Reply #1607 on: August 02, 2024, 08:22:07 PM »
Dems don’t only hand the MSM talking points (it’s so weird!), they also hand ‘em out to black pastors:

https://x.com/dom_lucre/status/1819168854788264334?s=61

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Speaking of weird
« Reply #1608 on: August 03, 2024, 05:51:13 AM »
Weirdo writes whole article about why DNC calling Trump will win WH for Harris:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/donald-trump-weird-republicans-strange-bizarre-democrats-b2589514.html

guy is not photogenic.

cannot even comb his hair or fix his tie.

Harris is my name!
Cackling is my game!!
Biden. Obama, Harris all the same!!!
[copywritten]

:wink:

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 03, 2024, 12:45:10 PM by ccp »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Greg Kelly on Newsmax
« Reply #1610 on: August 03, 2024, 09:33:15 PM »
Tonight, for the first time area Kelly warned Trump to shift and stop with the rallies and change to small forums with smaller groups of people where he shines.

The rallies are getting "stale" and it is time to shift to trying to win over those who still are undecided.

Instead of doing rallies talking too much to the choir.

Instead of spending time of insulting political enemies and more time speaking about policy.

I watched the rally which at times Trump is pretty good but then always has to turn it into some sort of grudge self psychotherapy.  Like when while in Atlanta he has to spend time calling the governor names and on and on with him.

No one cares.

And no one other then the people who are die hard Trumpsters can stand to listen.

Even Kelly, who for the past 9 yrs has never deviated from supporting Trump gave in to the obvious.

He even showed a tape of Nixon who was telling a questioner how one must evolve. One must learn to change gears when necessary.  Just before he won in '68 .

Just do the small formats and stick to policies and show some kindness like he did the "first part of his first his RNC convention.   

I can't find a link to this.

I only post because it is notable that Greg Kelly actually said this.
I like him but not infrequently find him too nauseating over the top MAGA.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2024, 09:35:24 PM by ccp »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: August 04, 2024, 07:25:57 AM »
"I think Trump uses the rally (free) ticket sales to generate an amazing contact list of supporters."

Excellent point.
Last night on Fox/Newsmax while Trump was speaking in the upper right screen was dial this 5...something number type in TRUMP  and you could win up to $15,000 and gold.

I was certainly tempted  :-D but then I thought what are the odds and I already get many text messages as it is from everyone and everybody who is an R .

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/ChilkootPass_steps.jpg

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: August 04, 2024, 07:58:45 AM »
Once again, whether rally or smaller setting, what Trump needs is message discipline.

I watched a moment of Stephanopoulos this morning.  Wow is he obnoxious.  Biased doesn't start to describe the vitriol.  But the point is, Trump gives him and Colbert and all of them too much to work with.  As guest Byron Daniels pointed out, biased media takes one clip, out of context, and ignores multitudes of substantive policy differences and statements.

Trump wants to be the new Reagan, make America great again, then take a page out of Reagan's media strategy book.  He's got to get better control over the message.

Reagan had a message he wanted out each day and stuck with it.  Trump is all over the map.

Does DT really want a debate over whether Harris is black enough?

The Vance thing I think is about past statements made before he was running for Vice President, before he was a Senator, before he was a politician, maybe before he was a Republican.  There are always going to be past statements.

It's the unforced errors still being made that are killing him.  We can't focus on the failures of Biden Harris if the attention keeps coming back to unnecessary Trump statements.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Byron gives it right back to "gotcha" George
« Reply #1613 on: August 04, 2024, 08:48:32 AM »
here is the "interview" which is not really an interview but a setup and attempt at entrapment:

https://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video/1-1-byron-donalds-112553786

Go Byron!    :-D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2024, 08:52:41 AM by ccp »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Byron gives it right back to "gotcha" George
« Reply #1614 on: August 04, 2024, 09:26:49 AM »
here is the "interview" which is not really an interview but a setup and attempt at entrapment:

https://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video/1-1-byron-donalds-112553786

Go Byron!    :-D

There was a part about pardoning too.  Stephie should be the expert on pardoning via Bill Clinton.  Trump will look over the cases and pardon IF THEY"RE INNOCENT.  Steph says, but they were all convicted, meaning all guilty.  Umm George, isn't that the point about pardoning, letting people out who were (wrongfully at least by opinion) convicted?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_pardoned_by_Bill_Clinton
As president, Clinton used his power under the U.S. Constitution to grant pardons and clemency to 456 people, thus commuting the sentences of those already convicted of a crime, and obviating a trial for those not yet convicted. On January 20, 2001, he pardoned 140 people in the final hours of his presidency.

Wasn't Steph right in the middle of this?

Everything Orwell, 1984.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024, Democrat formula
« Reply #1615 on: August 05, 2024, 04:59:21 AM »
@DavidSacks
Democrats have found a powerful new formula for presidential politics that fully exploits their domination of MSM:
— Avoid contentious primaries; let Party elites pick the nominee.
— Take no positions, repudiate entire past in politics. Run on vibes and oppo.
— Stay on-prompter; avoid debates or unscripted appearances.
— Decentralize powers of the presidency to the staff. President’s role becomes largely ceremonial (think: King Charles).
— When polling tanks, swap out figureheads and pretend everything has changed.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2024, Democrat formula
« Reply #1616 on: August 05, 2024, 06:02:05 AM »
@DavidSacks
Democrats have found a powerful new formula for presidential politics that fully exploits their domination of MSM:
— Avoid contentious primaries; let Party elites pick the nominee.
— Take no positions, repudiate entire past in politics. Run on vibes and oppo.
— Stay on-prompter; avoid debates or unscripted appearances.
— Decentralize powers of the presidency to the staff. President’s role becomes largely ceremonial (think: King Charles).
— When polling tanks, swap out figureheads and pretend everything has changed.

Add water, stir. Ayup, scarily accurate.

ETA, I've been mulling how US voting demographics break down from the "Progressive" perspective. I think it boils down to this:

• "Progressive" apparatchik. Bought in body and soul. Fully sold on the "lie, dodge, & weave" your way into office strategy until full power is assumed and elections are no longer needed, or at least no longer deliver anything but the preferreed outcome ala Venezuela.

• Useful idiots. People that buy into the sizzle, but ignore the steak, or rather the flavorless soy protein based patty shaped product prepared in a solar oven that actually gets served up. I console myself in knowing they will be some of the first stood up against the wall when "Progs" assume unassailable power.

• Swing voters. This is where the somewhat faux battle for hearts and minds occurs. It basically boils down to who best panders to this group, with "Progs" excelling at pandering ala loan forgiveness, free shit army give aways, etc. I call this battle faux as, at the end of the day, "voting irregularities" is what will swing things is select battleground precients, with this group ostensibly breaking "Progressive" cited as the reason for the stolen victory.

• Those that see behind the curtain, but can only express their horror via the ballot box. Ignore 'em as, once the "Progs" assume unassailable power this group won't matter any more and perhaps can be reeducated.

• Those that see behind the curtain and have power and money, ala Trump, Musk, Silicon Valley turncoats, etc. Attack them with vitriol; reality and truth be damned. Confiscate their money, tie them up in court, and stand them against the wall with the useful idiots once unassailable power is assumed.

The thing that angers me the most about this voting bloc breakdown is the number of people that ought to know better, but vote for their own impoverishment due to sizzle or perceived self-interest or, more likely, single note perspective such as "that Kamala seems so much nicer than that awful Trump that is in Russia's pocket (or whaterver lie is currently in vogue). How these folks can be so willingly ignorant astounds me.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 06:20:21 AM by Body-by-Guinness »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: August 05, 2024, 06:21:56 AM »
exactly

and it puts on horrible display the power of the media.

not a problem if they were fair and accurate

but they are totally corrupt.

free speech ==>>  propaganda

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Enough w/ the Eyorean Swamps of Depression
« Reply #1618 on: August 05, 2024, 09:03:11 AM »
2nd post. Spot on. It doesn't help and arguably does the work of the "Progressive" side:

Stop Freaking Out And Focus On Winning
Kurt Schlichter
 |
Aug 05, 2024

Could you doomsayers please give us a break? Can you stop panicking like little girls and male-identifying Democrats when they see a spider? Yes, Kamala Harris has capitalized on the relief of the Democrats over trading in that shambling, perverted, zombie-like husk for someone who is merely an idiot who was too dumb to pass the California Bar Exam. That’s progress, well, at least a kind of progress, but it’s enough for their voters to come back in off the sidelines. There were a lot of Biden supporters out there, people who were never going to vote for Trump but who just couldn’t vote for someone who was manifestly senile. Well, Kamala is not manifestly senile; she’s just dumb. But that’s an improvement over Joe Biden, and that’s enough for them. Now they’re back in the game and the head-to-head poll numbers have improved for the Democrats. But Trump hasn’t fallen behind. He’s probably still slightly ahead. So, could you please stop whining about how we Republicans are doomed?

Probably not. Oh no, JD Vance is a disaster! If only we had picked somebody squishier, the Democrats would’ve been nice to him. Oh, Kamala Harris is so exciting and popular! She’s so brat! We can’t ever compete against that! Oh, they’re just going to steal the election anyway! Boo-hoo.

Geez, could you sissies shut up for a minute and stop embarrassing yourselves? We are in a better position than we’ve been in a presidential race in 20 years, and all some people can do is find that cloud behind the silver lining.

There is something within the emotional makeup of Republicans that makes them always assume that disaster lurks right around the corner. Maybe it’s conservatism’s realistic view of the fallen nature of man, as opposed to the Democrats’ bizarre notion of human perfectibility through the power of Marxism, that leads us to dwell in the Eyorean swamps of depression. But this is self-inflicted emotional gaslighting. It has nothing to do with the facts. The key fact is that Trump is doing better now than Trump did in either of his previous campaigns. And while we don’t have the advantage of a regime media actually doing its job – which it did for about 15 minutes when it became undeniable that Joe Biden was demented and it became necessary to crowbar him out of the Oval Office – the fundamentals are still in our favor. We are still in the lead or tied in the battleground states, the economy is tanking, and let’s face it – Kamala Harris is a moron.

Yeah, they’re going to try to bury her in the basement for the next three months. The regime media is obediently ignoring the fact that she refuses to come out and give extemporaneous remarks or answer hard questions, though they’ll never ask any. But normal people see it. Normal people see a lot about her. There are her myriad policy problems. She’s a communist. Until it was disappeared by the Orwellians of the Internet, she had been listed as the most liberal member of the Senate. There are all sorts of devastating video clips of Kamala out there, wanting to take your AR15s by force, border czaring anywhere but at the border, wanting to take your health insurance and for you into socialize medicine with a bunch of illegal aliens, as well as damming us for daring to wish each other Merry Christmas. There’s a lot of great stuff out there, and you can tell the Democrats don’t like it because any time we mention any of it, they call us racist harder than usual.

Apparently, talking about anything she does or believes is racist. That includes her racial identity du jour, which she seems unable to settle on. Nervous conservative commentators are very upset that Donald Trump pointed out, accurately, that she sometimes presents herself as Indian and sometimes presents herself as black and that she denies that she’s a DEI hire even though she asserts DEI is awesome. Trump, of course, saw how this demonstrates her inauthenticity and drove right in. When he highlights what the Democrats try to hand wave away as “code switching” normal people read it as her being a shameless chameleon, appearing as whatever she needs to appear as for the audience in front of her. This includes adopting a comedy gold southern/black accent that rivals Hillary’s ridiculous “I don’t feel no ways tired” thing.

Some of my conservative friends wish Donald Trump wouldn’t point this out, preferring to focus solely on policy. I guess if we were having a reasoned debate at a debating society – before debating societies got swallowed up by wokeness – that would make sense. But this is an election. It’s not just about facts – which are certainly in our favor – but about emotions. Facts are only part of persuasion and often not the most important part – but hey, what would a trial lawyer know about that?

To win voters, we need to persuade them not merely objectively but subjectively as well. We need to define her so that the voters feel repelled whenever they see her cackling visage appear on their screens. Democrats and the regime media minions are portraying Kamala as exciting, vibrant, and cool, and we have to present the truth that she is not exciting, vibrant, or cool. And you don’t undermine somebody’s image as the hot new thing solely by droning on about tax policy. You slam them for being terrible, and pointing out their terrible policies support that effort. Objective policy arguments are not a substitute for subjectively defining her as a dangerous pinko clown.

And that’s what Trump is doing – defining her as a shifty half-wit commie. That kind of definition is what Trump does. And Kamala knows she’s vulnerable, which is why she’s hiding. She’s a terrible person. She’s an idiot – I want to emphasize that she failed the California Bar Exam, another thing I’m not supposed to talk about because it has nothing to do with policy. But I’m going to because it shows she’s dumb. And her racial shenanigans show that she’s inauthentic. You know, Trump does not need to talk about her inability to be authentic all the time, but after eight years, perhaps we ought to credit Donald Trump with knowing a little something about how to communicate a message. While it may scandalize the National Review crew that Donald Trump is making fun of her inability to be honest about her ethnicity, normal people see what she’s doing, and they find her repellent and manipulative. It’s not because she’s biracial. It’s because she’s a phony.

Regardless, we need to accept the fact that we are not losing, though we can lose. The fact is this was always going to be a hard fight. America is a 50-50 country, and unfortunately, 50% of Americans are freaking idiots. And the freaking idiots have chosen one of their own – without voting on it, but that’s the Democrats’ problem – as their standard bearer. This race is going to be a matter of points regardless. Victory is not assured – it never was. If you get your name on the ballot for one of the two major parties, you have a chance to win. Donald Trump was supposed to lose in 2016 something like nine times out of ten. But you know what happens one time out of ten? The underdog wins. Kamala Harris can certainly win this election, and she absolutely will win this election if we sit around demoralizing ourselves because it’s going to be hard. Yeah, it’s going to be hard. Do you know what other things are hard? All the things worth doing are hard. If they were not hard, everyone would do them all the time.

No one will just give us this election. We have to go take it. Trump’s 2024 campaign has been the most professional and effective of his three. Its advertising attacking her border failures has been deadly, and they have a lot more policy ammunition to expand. They managed to gather enough money to do it, even though the Democrats thought we were going to be impoverished. Yes, Donald Trump is not exercising what some would call “message discipline” and focusing solely on policy. But you know what? Donald Trump doesn’t have “message discipline.” Donald Trump has gut instincts. And most of the time, his instincts are right.

We are more likely than not going to win this, but we will lose this by being depressed. We will lose this by being black-pilled. We will lose this by failing to work. If you’re not writing checks, dialing the phone, or being out there urging people to vote, you are helping us lose; get it together to bring it in for the Big Win. Stop with the pessimism. I don’t want to hear a damn thing about “Oh well, they’re just going to steal it anyway.” They’re not going to just steal it anyway;  you’re going to let them steal it by sitting this election out. We need to work hard and win beyond the margin of fraud. So, stop moaning and start campaigning.

Eyorean swamps of depression

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
well Kurt...
« Reply #1619 on: August 05, 2024, 10:43:43 AM »
who I like a lot

send this message to Trump:

https://pjmedia.com/chris-queen/2024/08/05/trump-could-hurt-himself-with-his-unnecessary-attacks-on-georgias-popular-gop-governor-n4931345

And stop alienating the still few undecided voters.

We still need to hold Trump's feet to the fire.
Just throwing everything out there in all directions is not smart.

IMHO

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: well Kurt...
« Reply #1620 on: August 05, 2024, 11:04:45 AM »
who I like a lot

send this message to Trump:

https://pjmedia.com/chris-queen/2024/08/05/trump-could-hurt-himself-with-his-unnecessary-attacks-on-georgias-popular-gop-governor-n4931345

And stop alienating the still few undecided voters.

We still need to hold Trump's feet to the fire.
Just throwing everything out there in all directions is not smart.

IMHO

Right.  Trump could rant on the issue instead of personalizing against elected Republicans, hurting only himself (and us).

That was another thing Stephanopoulos dwelled on, Trump's attack on the R Gov and Sec of State without any mention of the issue between them.  A clip without context making Trump look the idiot.

I don't know who's right and who's wrong but I know those two won in Georgia and Trump didn't.

Get a focus.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Christie blames Trump for Shapiro
« Reply #1621 on: August 05, 2024, 11:11:51 AM »
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4810721-chris-christie-blames-trump-for-boosting-josh-shapiro-by-endorsing-his-weakest-opponent/

I don't have an opinion.
Where there better choices for Rs other than the one who gives Trump the best you know what?
I honestly don't know.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: August 05, 2024, 06:50:30 PM »
I agree that Trump can be faulted for a number of his picks/endorsements e.g. the two Senate picks in GA as well as OZ in PA.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Navarro
« Reply #1623 on: August 07, 2024, 04:30:29 AM »

How to beat Harris

Republicans need to run hard on Trump policy agenda

By Peter Navarro

It’s the Trump policy agenda, stupid. That’s how to beat Vice President Kamala Harris — with policy arguments, not gratuitous personal attacks. Over 90% of voters have made up their minds. The 2024 presidential election will be determined in a handful of battleground states by a few hundred thousand votes, and Ms. Harris’ best chance of winning will be to consolidate Democratic women, successfully woo independent women and peel off a fraction of Republican women.

Republican politicians, TV commentators and radio talk show hosts who play the Willie Brown card ridicule the Harris cackle or demean Ms. Harris as a diversity, equity and inclusion hire, which will only advance her strategy. Such personal attacks build a misplaced sympathy for Ms. Harris, particularly when the invective comes from men — like it or not, it’s a Mars vs. Venus world.

To successfully woo swing women voters — along with independents up for grabs and the traditional Black, brown and blue-collar portions of the Democratic base — the best Republican strategy is to run hard on the Trump policy agenda. Polls tell us that on the top salient issues likely to move undecided voters, the Trump policy agenda provides huge leads.

Inflation tops pollsters’ list. “Bidenomics” is behind it, and Ms. Harris has given it a full-throated endorsement. Former President Donald Trump runs away with the election on this issue alone — voters vividly remember that in Trump’s America, you didn’t have to choose between food on the table, prescriptions you need and a roof over your head.

The border chaos is in a dead heat with inflation. Despite the efforts of the mainstream media to scrub this fact, President Biden did assign Ms. Harris in 2021 to serve as border czar. Yet a dangerous crew of murderers, rapists, drug cartels, human traffickers, terrorists and Chinese spies have swarmed into our country.

Across the Rio Grande, millions of illiterate illegal aliens have also flooded our labor markets, stealing jobs and depressing the wages of Black, brown and blue-collar Americans. As Mr. Biden’s missing-inaction border czar, Ms. Harris owns this border chaos, and polls here give Donald Trump a doubledigit lead.

On the crime issue, Ms. Harris helped lead the “defund the police” movement even as she cheered on violent protests in American cities by radical groups such as Black Lives Matter and Antifa. In contrast, Mr. Trump has the endorsement of every major law enforcement organization and enjoys double-digit leads in the polls.

On foreign policy, voters likewise remember Mr. Trump had four years in the White House free of conflict with China, Russia, North Korea and Iran because their leaders both fear and respect him. And Mr. Trump moved the U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem in a show of support for Israel.

In contrast, Ms. Harris has ascended to the top of the Democratic ticket with the least foreign policy experience of any major party presidential candidate in the last 100 years. Under Biden-Harris, Russia invaded Ukraine, Hamas and Hezbollah attacked Israel, China is threatening Taiwan and North Korea has resumed its missile and nuclear weapons testing.

The one foreign policy issue Ms. Harris has infamously distinguished herself on is that of the war in the Gaza Strip, where she has sided with “river to the sea” Palestinian activists while all but snubbing Israel’s president. The American electorate is watching, and it does not like what it sees from Ms. Harris.

Beyond Mr. Trump’s polling advantage on issues including the economy and inflation, illegal immigration, crime and foreign policy, there is also Ms. Harris’ “woke” agenda. It runs strongly against the grain of Middle Americans, including many men and women in the traditional Democratic Party base.

Here, parents are uncomfortable with (and often outraged by) K-12 “woke” indoctrination at the expense of reading, writing and arithmetic. There is equal outrage at the participation of men in women’s sports. There is also widespread bewilderment (and equal outrage) across America at how and why the Biden-Harris regime is facilitating gender surgery on children.

As a further twist, in what can only be described as a twisted version of “prison reform,” Ms. Harris is also on record fervently supporting sex reassignment operations for men in federal prisons. No wonder Ms. Harris garnered the most liberal voting record in the Senate during her tenure there.

The one polling issue where Ms. Harris leads is abortion. This issue, however, runs significantly behind inflation and the economy, the border chaos, foreign policy and crime as salient to most swing voters.

Of note, Ms. Harris’ view on abortion is far more extreme than that of Mr. Biden. If Republicans more effectively message that extremism, Ms. Harris’ polling advantage should narrow or even disappear. Here, even mainstream Democrats oppose the ateterm abortions supported by Ms. Harris.

Given this polling chessboard, it is indeed the Trump policy agenda, stupid. If Republicans are smart, they will follow this advice. To lose this election is to lose this country.

Peter Navarro served for four years in the Trump White House and is the author of “The New MA

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: August 07, 2024, 05:15:39 AM »
" It’s the Trump policy agenda, stupid. That’s how to beat Vice President Kamala Harris — with policy arguments, not gratuitous personal attacks. "

right .  and everyone knows it but Trump.

even Scott Bao on Jesse W. last night said the same.

The Left is making it about Trump' character and personality and trying to ignore policy and when they have to talk about it simply lie.

We need to keep hammering the policy choices.

I was watching for third time the movie As Good As It Gets last night.
At the end Laura Dern says just after Jack Nickleson says something totally weird ,
"why can't I just have a normal boyfriend?"

I couldn't help thinking, well,
we are all thinking the same.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
VDH On Where Things Stand
« Reply #1625 on: August 07, 2024, 08:34:58 PM »
@VDHanson

Harris’s Big Gift to Trump—if He Uses It

Harris’s selection of Walz at least reveals the left’s full-bore agenda, something that previously her handlers seemed at pains to hide: an overt doubling down on the Biden neo-socialist record that will require a far more vigorous stealth 90-day campaign to camouflage the hard-left record of both Harris and Walz.

Minnesota under Walz became merely a smaller version of Gavin Newsom’s California—shameless woke pandering, wars against fossil fuels, fiscal nihilism, thousands fleeing the state, high crime, high taxes, poor services, sanctuary city/pro-illegal alien activism, eroding downtowns of once majestic cities, loud-in-your-face, attack-dog denials of reality, a two-tier state legal system, tolerance of BLM/Antifa/Hamas street violence, and on and on.

So Walz is a force multiplier of Harris’s vulnerabilities.

His selection (was Harris terrified of leftwing threats from her base that a Shapiro pick would guarantee her 1968-like riots at her Chicago convention?) did not just reveal the now overt anti-Semitic, anti-Israel nature of the Democratic Party (Shapiro would have likely ensured Pennsylvania’s electoral votes). Her pick also reveals the confidence that the Left has in winning what will be the most flagrant, bait-and-switch 90-day campaign in presidential history.

So, the real Harris-Walz campaign messaging will be: 'In 2024 we have to lie and mislead you about who we are and what we did, so that in 2025 we can govern you in ways you will not like.’

What are the challenges for this weirdest of tickets?

Harris, in Biden-fashion, cannot finish a coherent thought. So again, like Biden in 2020, she will retreat and outsource her campaign to the media, while counting on outspending Trump 3-1, and radiating feigned moderation.

She is taking heat for neither yet meeting with a real journalist nor speaking impromptu. But in her defense, to do either might at any opportune moment collapse her stealth campaign, given that to listen to her for 60 seconds off script is to prefer her to remain silent and hidden. And she has confidence in absentia that a bankrupt media will praise her nonexistent elegance, fluency, and articulateness.
Walz will customarily serve as a designated hit man for Harris. But he is just as much a liability— a shoot-from-the-hip blowhard, while owning an even more embarrassing leftwing record than Harris. And he is even less discreet.

This week Walz introduced himself to the nation as a VP candidate by smearing J.D. Vance with the brazen “couch” lie. And then while foolishly beaming, he doubled-down on his crude slur (“See what I did there?”). So, he even outdid Harris who had recently called Trump a “predator”—just days before it was disclosed that her married husband earlier had once impregnated his own children’s young nanny and tutor and had never disclosed what followed from his predation.

Both will either ignore or lie about their joint opposition to fracking and pipelines; their disgraceful pro-BLM/Antifa advocacy during the lethal and destructive 2020 looting and rioting; their support for open borders and illegal immigration; their woke pandering; and their generic leftwing promotion of the usual high taxes, big government, poor services, and ‘who cares if they flee my state’ arrogance.

The Harris-Walz ticket will also collapse if, horribile dictu, the prior Biden-Harris appeasement of Iran, distancing from Israel, weakening of the military, and loss of deterrence in the next 90 days leads to theater-wide wars on the Ukrainian borderlands or in the Middle East and/or to a recession due to cumulative inflation, high interest, stagnant wages and anemic citizen employment, and unsustainable national debt service.

In sum, Trump is very much even in the race. He was given a rare gift by the shunning of Josh Shapiro as Harris’s running mate. That leftwing blunder could energize the Trump campaign—if again he sticks to warning the country of who these two are, what they have done, how they are hiding their real agendas, what they will do if elected, and how they differ from his own presidential record and future agenda.
Nothing else matters. And that means Trump should ignore the now inert and evaporating Biden, refrain from attacking any Republican, stop all recriminations about 2020, avoid race and DEI ambushes, and prep hard and in detail for as many debates as he can obtain.

Trump should appear magnanimous and above the fray by compromising with Harris on the debates: one debate now by her rules on ABC, and one by his rules on Fox before early voting begins.

Rarely have the Democrats so foolishly gone hard left.

And when they did in 1972, 1980, and 1988, Republicans used to know how to use those gifts, expose them, and win landslides despite media and institutional bias.

They can do it again, but only if they are as adroit, united, and disciplined as their predecessors once were.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ
« Reply #1626 on: August 08, 2024, 07:14:20 AM »
Will Donald Trump Blow Another Election?
As Kamala Harris rises in the polls, the former President doesn’t know how to respond.
By The Editorial Board
Aug. 7, 2024 5:47 pm ET

Republicans are wondering if Donald Trump made a mistake in choosing J.D. Vance as his running mate. But the more urgent and consequential question for Republicans with 90 days left in the campaign is whether Mr. Trump is going to blow another presidential race he should win.

The economic and security fundamentals are teed up for a Republican victory. Voters and especially the working class are unhappy with the economy, as average real incomes have declined across the Biden Presidency. The chaos at the border has spread to cities around the country.

The Administration’s insistence on imposing progressive cultural policies by diktat has produced resentment and a strong counter-reaction. Wars are raging in Europe and the Middle East, and China menaces in the Western Pacific. All of this has voters unhappy about the state of the country and looking for change.

Yet with three months to go before Election Day, Kamala Harris and the Democrats have erased the lead Mr. Trump had over President Biden. She’s now leading in the national polls, and tied or narrowly behind in the crucial swing states. The same press that covered for Mr. Biden’s infirmities until it was no longer possible has swung in behind her. She may not do another interview, much less get a tough question, through November.

One reason for the surge for Ms. Harris is Democrats coming home in relief from their depression about Mr. Biden. But at age 59 she also presents a youthful contrast to 78-year-old Mr. Trump, who has now been on the presidential stage for nearly a decade. She’s trying to steal the “change” mantle with her focus on the future, and she’ll succeed if Republicans can’t wrap her in the Biden record and her progressive San Francisco views.

The Trump campaign knows this, but the problem is the candidate. Mr. Trump has his passionate followers who don’t want to hear a discouraging word. Yet the political reality is that he has a ceiling of support that is below 50% because so many Americans dislike him. And now that he is in the news every day campaigning, he is reminding those voters why they didn’t vote to re-elect him in 2020.

Ms. Harris in particular seems to have unnerved him as he scrambles but fails to find an attack line that works. He’s said she “doesn’t like Jewish people,” though her husband is Jewish. He’s attacked her racial identity, which alienates swing voters. He calls her “low IQ” and “dumb,” as if the school-yard insult will persuade anyone.

As the race has tightened, he’s also picking gratuitous fights the way he did in 2020 during Covid. In Georgia on Saturday, he attackedGOP Gov. Brian Kemp and even Mr. Kemp’s wife because he says they’re not loyal enough. Mr. Trump narrowly lost Georgia in 2020, and to win it this year he needs the help of Mr. Kemp’s get-out-the-vote organization. You almost wonder if Mr. Trump is setting up an excuse for his defeat as he sees the polls tightening in Georgia.

Mr. Trump is still griping about his impeachments and the Democratic prosecutions against him that are now in limbo. His rally speeches are a bundle of personal grievances and impulsive floundering that drown out any consistent message against Vice President Harris. He is also helping her by saying little about what he’d do in a second term, beyond replaying the promises of his first term.

Mr. Trump seems to think he’s still leading in the polls against a feeble incumbent. That overconfidence is what led him to choose Mr. Vance, who hasn’t reassured voters on the fence about Mr. Trump. The former President doesn’t seem to realize he’s now in a close race that requires discipline and a consistent message to prevail. And his struggles are hurting GOP candidates for the House and Senate.

All of this underscores the risk that GOP voters took in nominating Mr. Trump for a third time. They had younger alternatives who would have been fresher voices and could have served two terms. But primary voters wanted to nominate Mr. Trump as a quasi-incumbent who they came to believe had his second term stolen by the Covid election.

This bet was paying off against Mr. Biden, but that race is over. Ms. Harris and her new running mate are still far to the left of the American people, if Republicans have the discipline to inform voters. This is still Mr. Trump’s election to lose but, as we learned in 2020, he’s more than capable of doing it.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: August 08, 2024, 08:02:12 AM »
" The Trump campaign knows this, but the problem is the candidate. Mr. Trump has his passionate followers who don’t want to hear a discouraging word. Yet the political reality is that he has a ceiling of support that is below 50% because so many Americans dislike him. And now that he is in the news every day campaigning, he is reminding those voters why they didn’t vote to re-elect him in 2020. "

Not all his fault as the media will go after any/every Republican they can as they always did but now on steroids.

He simply continues to give the LEFT wing machine talking points who spend 100% of the time saying everything bad about him, never give him credit for anything, and doing the opposite with Democrat politicians.

He is unable to evolve to this. 
Even VDH, O'Reilly are pleading with him to stick to the issues.  He has the best chance to do this when he garnered sympathy after the assassination attempt, but blows it with big mouth and picking VP just like him who probably can't win over independents.

Won't work.
He cannot control his immature urges.

All I can do is pray.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Ah, "Exposing" the Endorsements
« Reply #1628 on: August 08, 2024, 08:55:27 AM »
Kamala paying "OnlyFans" purveryors to endorse her. Perhaps we can look forward to political ads braketing her as she serviced Willie Brown:

Carter Hughes
@itscarterhughes

BREAKING: A Harris SuperPAC has been EXPOSED for paying OnlyFans "Stars" to promote her on social media.

They even reached out to gay Trump supporter Michael Doherty who has since exposed them.

Kamala definitely wouldn't want you to share this!

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: August 08, 2024, 02:18:29 PM »
in one of the podcasts , i don't remember which one,  it was said the soroses and other's money
is going to pay for all these pawns who run around collecting ballots bribing people to vote and making up ballots
etc.

Also Zuckerberg is through his minions sending money to left wing pacs to do essentially the same thing he did in '20 despite his phony claim he is not taking sides.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: August 08, 2024, 08:39:23 PM »
Former President Trump said it today at his press conference as clearly as any of us have said it here.  It's not Biden. It's not Harris. It's the policies that are wrong.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ
« Reply #1631 on: August 09, 2024, 02:41:38 AM »
s Tim Walz Guilty of ‘Stolen Valor’?
His military record isn’t a good reason to oppose his candidacy.
By The Editorial Board
Aug. 8, 2024 5:49 pm ET

There are plenty of reasons to criticize Democratic vice presidential candidate Tim Walz, and we’ve told you about several. But the charges leveled so far about his military service look like “thin gruel,” as our friends at the New York Sun put it.

J.D. Vance has accused Mr. Walz of “stolen valor” despite his 24 years in the National Guard because the Minnesota Governor didn’t deploy to Iraq with his unit.

Before his political career, Mr. Walz rose to the highest enlisted rank of Command Sergeant Major. He retired in May 2005, shortly before the unit was notified in July 2005 that it would be deployed to Iraq. Fox News reports that the Pentagon says Mr. Walz put in his retirement request several months earlier, though it’s fair to ask if he was aware of the possible Iraq deployment.

His retirement timing wasn’t ideal, leaving his leadership position when his unit was headed into a war zone. But if he had been deemed essential to the operation, the Guard could have declined to approve it. People retire from service for a variety of reasons. Mr. Walz had served since he was 17 years old and had decided to run for Congress.

Mr. Walz has also been accused of lying about his record because he retired one rank below Command Sergeant Major. But that seems to have been a bureaucratic issue since to retire at that rank required longer service in the role and coursework he didn’t complete. So he retired at a lower rank, but there’s no doubt he had reached the higher position while active.

Mr. Vance has alleged that Mr. Walz misrepresented his service by referring to weapons he carried “in war.” That may have been a deceptive boast, though a minor one. Iraq war veteran and former Michigan Rep. Peter Meijer posted on X that Mr. Walz “played fast & loose with his military bio to stay above water as his congressional district drifted right.” But that doesn’t amount to stolen valor, and a simple concession by Mr. Walz on that point would put the matter to rest.

Republicans are comparing this to John Kerry’s service in Vietnam and the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth campaign that countered Mr. Kerry’s service narrative. But that was far different. Upon his return from Vietnam Mr. Kerry slandered his former comrades in arms as war criminals before Congress, yet in running for President he wanted to use his military service as a credential. The Swift Boat Vets who served with him were correcting the record.

By the way, some have demeaned Mr. Vance’s service in Iraq because he served as a Marine correspondent. But his service was also honorable, and more than a few correspondents have been killed in American wars.

The U.S. military is a volunteer force and only about 1% of the population serves in uniform. Mr. Walz and Mr. Vance both served their country. There are other and better reasons to oppose Mr. Walz’s candidacy.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Noonan
« Reply #1632 on: August 09, 2024, 03:43:25 AM »
second

Kamala Picks a Midwestern Smoothie
With Trump floundering, she aims to turn out her ideological base, not to win over swing voters.
Peggy Noonan
Aug. 8, 2024 5:53 pm ET

Kamala Harris just won her third week in a row of the first three weeks of the hundred-day campaign. She kept everyone in the political class wondering who her vice-presidential nominee would be, made a surprising choice, and unveiled him at a Philadelphia rally that was boffo. Now the runup to the convention, which has so far included packed rallies in Eau Claire, Wis., and Detroit, where a crowd packed into a hangar, with Air Force Two in the background. She’s stealing Donald Trump’s signature move. I continue to believe the woman isn’t creating a movement but a movement is creating her, and showing up.

Mr. Trump spent most of the week having what a GOP strategist told Politico is a “public nervous breakdown.” He has been particularly Saturnine and gloomy in his late-night postings. At every event since she was (still somewhat mysteriously!) elevated to her position as presidential nominee, most everything has been, for Ms. Harris, bright good fortune.

For the first time this week I thought people were wondering about the impact of Mr. Trump’s age. He is 78. He hasn’t been able to focus, make his case. Is he, in another irony of 2024, turning into Joe Biden?

On Thursday afternoon, at a news conference in a Mar-a-Lago ballroom, Mr. Trump aimed to put his supporters’ anxieties aside. He was not free-associative as usual, but kept to talking points. He was somber and darkly lit. He talked about the dangers facing the world—“in my opinion, we are very close to a world war”—and seemed to imply this is no time for unsteady hands. He spoke of illegal immigration and inflation. Ms. Harris is “barely competent.” “Hillary was smart.” He offered three dates for debates.

It was OK. It was proof of life, and a certain verve. He went long, took on all comers, and underlined, legitimately, that Ms. Harris is getting away with not doing news conferences or interviews.

On the choice of Gov. Tim Walz: He was a relatively moderate liberal congressman for 12 years and has been a highly progressive leftist in his past 5½ years as governor. Republicans will be sure to make his positions clear.

But the headline in Ms. Harris’s choice is that the ticket she has created is full-on progressive. No mix, no shade. She’s cementing in support for one part of the party and a particular vision of the future. She could have reached to the center, with a relative moderate like Gov. Josh Shapiro of Pennsylvania, to broaden her pool of voters, and didn’t.

I believe this means she’s not going broad but deep. She doesn’t intend to win this by going an inch to the right but through left-wing turnout—the young, minorities, those who haven’t steadily voted in the past, if ever. She is giving them a jolt, a straight shot of progressive: The future is left-wing. Getting them to show up is the strategy. Centrists and Trump-rejecting Republicans aren’t the central concern. If they can be won over through small symbolic or stylistic moves, fine, everyone’s welcome. But they’re not a focus. Getting out our people is the focus.

A few weeks ago I said she’d shown no sign of wanting to go to the center and may in fact think this is the time for a battle between rightist and leftist policy. Seems to me that’s what she’s doing.

I don’t know if this is a shrewd strategy to achieve victory in November, but it strikes me as a signal moment and, in the largest sense, not constructive. When you need voters who aren’t in your tent, you moderate. When you stick with your side, when it’s all or nothing, you go on, if you win, to operate in an all-or-nothing style, which in a 50/50 country causes more tension, anger and division. You aren’t persuading the other guy, you’re just overwhelming the other guy. It’s heady, and polarizing.

What progressives vs. conservatives guarantees is a country with two sharply divided blocs, with less give at the edges.

As for Mr. Walz himself, I think the Harris campaign fully understands what he stands for but assumes voters in general will be confused by the way he comes across. How is that? They’ve pushed him from the beginning as a regular guy who looks like a Republican, he hunts, ice-fishes, you want to have a beer with him. “The one thing about Tim Walz is that he kind of dropped out of a Norman Rockwell painting,” David Axelrod said on CNN. “He looks and sounds like small-town America.”

Fair enough. That’s what everyone in Washington and New York is saying: He looks like a centrist.

As I listened, my first thought was: We’re a nation of casting directors now. That is how Mr. Trump thinks: He casts people in roles based on broadcast TV values. Tall, gray-haired, distinguished Rex Tillerson looked like a secretary of state, so let’s make him secretary of state.

My second thought: I think Democratic strategists are misreading their guy. We are being instructed that he is “Minnesota nice.” He always gets personal. What I think I’m seeing is Midwestern smoothie. This is a gifted actor, a natural who plays the part of the affable Midwesterner really well. But he gets pretty lippy pretty fast; he’s a hot figure, not a warm one.

On MSNBC in December: “I think any time you can highlight how strange these people are, it’s a good thing.” “I don’t need (Mike Johnson) giving me a sermon, I need him to live one.” On CBS in 2023: Republicans are “down there debating whether slavery had a value to it.” At a rally this week: “These guys are creepy and yes, just weird as hell.” In the “White Dudes for Harris” Zoom call, referring to Mr. Trump: “Make that bastard wake up afterwards and know that a black woman kicked his ass and sent him on the road.”

Excuse me, that is many things, but it isn’t Midwestern nice. He looks as if he likes Trump voters. But listening to him this week I thought: He doesn’t, not at all.

Democratic political professionals at this moment are excited by meanness, just as so many MAGA people are. It would be better if, instead, they leaned away from it, in contrast, and didn’t lean in. Hot is more alienating than they think. Ask Mr. Trump.

It is widely reported that Ms. Harris’s decision hinged on personal vibrations. I suspect this was put out there as a head-feint to obscure, after the announcement, how far to the left Mr. Walz is. It may be true, or partially true, but since when do presidential candidates have to have “chemistry” with their running mates? Jack Kennedy didn’t bond with Lyndon Johnson, Boston needed Houston, full stop. Ronald Reagan picked George H.W. Bush because he was tired, Bush had come in second in the primary and was a moderate, so take him. They grew to appreciate each other. That’s the most you can hope for. Barack Obama needed a white haired establishmentarian who didn’t frighten the horses. It wasn’t personal. Anyway, this line strikes me as more of the increasing babyishness of high politics. :-D

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Noonan
« Reply #1633 on: August 09, 2024, 05:39:03 AM »
She's right on a number of points, but I do think she lives in a different bubble.

No he's not a guy I'd want to have a beer with. She goes on to admit he's a mean sort of liberal, not Minnesota nice at all if there is such a thing .

Noonan says Kamala won the third week in a row, but I think Peggy missed the inflection point. This race has already turned back to Trump. JD Vance is back on offense. It's Dem policies that are truly weird (tampons in the boys room?). Kamala is silent.  Incumbent Joe with the bully pulpit has gone missing. Tim Walz is on defense. This article obviously was written before Trump gave his press conference where he made the case calmly and persuasively. Kamala still hasn't.

It's certainly a close race, but the latest polls still show Trump winning and there are more shoes to drop.

Kamala will soon get her convention bump, or maybe she won't and then she' really is screwed.

Peggy is right on one thing, the choice of Walz is a reach to the base, not to the center. Don't we all know that's a big mistake?

Walz' career for one thing, is a victim of the Democrat Trifecta in Minnesota. Democrats control the House, Senate, and governorship, so Walz's record is far Left.  Had he governed with a Republican legislature, his record might have looked moderate. Same for his Washington experience. He went to Washington from a centrist district but served under Nancy Pelosi, and that's where his loyalties went. His record in Washington is Far Left.

And his rhetoric is far left.

Being an ice fisherman does not make you a Republican nor does his look, and it won't have much pull in Iowa or Wisconsin. Much less Pennsylvania, Georgia or Arizona.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2024, 06:03:33 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: August 10, 2024, 04:37:27 AM »
Agree.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: August 10, 2024, 06:22:49 AM »
"She's right on a number of points, but I do think she lives in a different bubble."

I think it is called the DC cocktail party circuit.

She is a bit too smug for me.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: August 10, 2024, 06:51:38 AM »
Honorable career as prime Reagan speech writer and biographer, then Bush Republican.   Older now, she writes from the perspective of a life informed by inside the palace perspective.   Even as I agree with our comments here, I find her useful as a cross check.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: August 10, 2024, 06:54:49 AM »
 :wink:

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024 Victor Davis Hanson
« Reply #1638 on: August 10, 2024, 03:50:45 PM »
https://justthenews.com/podcasts/victor-davis-hanson-show/victor-davis-hanson-be-careful-what-you-vote

To Trump, paraphrased:    You can win this.  These people are outright Marxists.  But not if you feed this biased media machine and you lose hours to a Kemp remark, or I didn't know she was black remark. You have no margin for error. You need to get focused and stay focused. Look at Ronald Reagan in 1980. Not attacking Republicans and Reagan had reason to, he said he engaged in voodoo economics, and what did he do, he forgave him and made him his vice President.  It's not about Trump, it's about the United States survival.

I thought it was ccp talking.  Hanson reads (writes?) the forum.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
tipping has dropped
« Reply #1639 on: August 10, 2024, 03:50:53 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/why-are-some-diners-leaving-such-small-tips/ar-BB1ngDbo?ocid=msedgntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=0eeaf15d377f4cf79031920ae993718f&ei=29

Well why would not tipping go down when patrons almost overnight are forced to pay 25% more or more.
Why should we automatically also tip more
15% is more than enough and now 10% not unreasonable in view of the accelerated cost of the food to begin with.

That all said, Trump's no tax on tips would help both tippers AND servers.

I wonder how much servers declare if tip is in cash anyway.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: August 10, 2024, 03:52:36 PM »
" I thought it was ccp talking."

Everyone listens to us on the forum - except Trump  :cry:

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Some Interesting Associations
« Reply #1641 on: August 12, 2024, 01:11:17 AM »
Hmm, this geofencing data is revealing many damning, but hardly surprising, associations. This blade cuts more than one direction: this data IS NOT ephemeral. Someone with vast resources—say a big freaking supercomputer and enough data storage capacity to store the meta data of every phone call made like that huge NSA facility in Utah—could do this and more, too:

@TonySeruga
As usual, we geofenced UNLV's
@ThomasAndMack
 Saturday August 10th for the
@KamalaHarris
 and
@Tim_Walz
 rally.
17,134 mobile devices in total.
Devices were from all across the country:
California
Washington
Oregon
Arizona
Nevada
New Mexico
Minnesota
Colorado
Texas
Oklahoma
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
Missouri
New York
Florida
74 devices that are usually in Mexico.
When we put the BLM/antifa overlay, with devices that were at 3 or more protests/riots, we identified 2,008. When we put the Hamas/Pro-Palestinian overlay, 1,132, again with lots of duplicates. Equal opportunity protestors.
This time, there were 404 subjects we have been tracking that are linked to trafficking NGOs, mules and cartels, including 4 linked to ‘No More Death’ aka No Más Muertes.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
left wing poll after poll
« Reply #1643 on: August 12, 2024, 01:56:10 PM »
  4 wks ago  Harris down by 1

3 wks ago Harris statistical tie with Trump

2 wks ago Harris up over Trump by 1

1 wk ago Harris up by Trump by 3

Now Harris beating Trump by as much as 19

Pretty soon at this rate the polls will have her winning in a landslide without her even saying a thing prior to the DN politburo convention.

Then they will announce policies after they have had enough time to poll and do the furious focus group and trial balloon so they can figure out how to con and deceive people the most.

By then they will tell us Harris is winning in 50 states .

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Greenfield: It is the Obama campaign
« Reply #1644 on: August 12, 2024, 02:05:01 PM »
It’s Not the Kamala Campaign, It’s the Obama Campaign
"Harris hires Obama campaign veterans to join 2024 effort, replacing Biden loyalists"
August 3, 2024 by Daniel Greenfield 8 Comments

Newsletter

One of the great obsessions of some conservatives was that Michelle Obama was going to be brought in and replace Joe Biden. That never happened and there was no reason that it was going to happen.

Michelle doesn’t want the job and Barack Obama doesn’t want to spend his time in the humiliating Bill Clinton or Doug Emhoff role when he could be seen as a kingmaker and live comfortably in a nicer mansion than the White House.

Obama’s staffers however began a whispering campaign to undermine Biden and panic donors. Then they swooped in to install a woman who makes Michelle Obama seem like Abraham Lincoln.

In that brief interim where the media, in response to the Biden coup began committing sudden crimes of journalism, the New York Times told us that Biden “considers Rep. Nancy Pelosi, the former House speaker, the main instigator but is irritated at Obama as well, seeing him as a puppet master behind the scenes.”

Kamala is now pushing out the Biden loyalists who tried to keep him in power and bringing in Obama’s people.

Harris hires Obama campaign veterans to join 2024 effort, replacing Biden loyalists  —

Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Kamala Harris hired a battery of new senior advisers to her campaign this week, moving swiftly to replace lifetime loyalists of President Biden with Democratic campaign veterans, including multiple leaders of Barack Obama’s presidential bids, according to people briefed on the campaign shifts.

David Plouffe, a top strategist on both of Obama’s presidential campaigns, joins Harris as senior adviser for strategy and the states focused on winning the electoral college. Stephanie Cutter, the deputy campaign manager for Obama’s reelection who has been working in recent months with Harris, is the new senior adviser for strategy messaging. Mitch Stewart, a grass-roots organizing strategist behind both Obama wins, will become the senior adviser for battleground states. David Binder, who led Obama’s public opinion research operation and previously worked for Harris, will expand his role on the Harris campaign to lead the opinion research operation.

“This team is a reflection of the vice president. It brings in people who have worked for her a long time, people who have been with her for the last few years of the administration,” O’Malley Dillon said Friday.

As usual, the thing they’re assuring you of is the opposite of the truth. This is Obama’s operation.

During private talks, Obama had repeatedly pressured Biden to bring in his campaign people to run everything. And now it’s happening. There’s no Kamala campaign, it’s the Obama campaign, with an even more feeble and clueless figurehead out front than even Joe Biden. But that is a problem.

Kamala has a history of wrecking her own operations. Her previous presidential campaign fell apart in infighting between her sister and her team. Her Veep office blew up with most of the original team leaving. And the co-chair of her campaign, Tony West, is her brother-in-law which means family will once again be pitted against campaign pros. That was not an issue for the more professional Obama campaigns.

Obama’s people are betting they can work around Kamala, roll out lots of staged pop culture events and faux serious statements while minimizing live media interaction. So far their aggressiveness has paid off but sustaining that across three months with an idiot candidate who also has a history of narcissistic tantrums and a dysfunctional family is going to get messy. But if they succeed, this really will be Obama 3.0.

MARC:  Should say 4.0

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Navarro
« Reply #1645 on: August 14, 2024, 05:14:49 AM »
Reimagining Trump Rally 1.0

How to reach swing voters and win in November

By Peter Navarro

Since 2016, Donald Trump’s more than 600 rallies have built an impregnable Republican base. With less than 90 days until Election Day — and less than a month before early voting begins in key battlegrounds such as Pennsylvania — now is the time to quickly reimagine, retool and reposition Trump Rally 1.0 to woo the relatively small number of swing voters who will determine the election outcome.

Roughly half a Trump rally speech is scripted red meat for his base. The other half is often humorous Trump improvisations on the day’s news. Throw in the former president’s playful and sometimes brutal eviscerations of his opponent (or whoever may have wronged him), and a Trump Rally 1.0 has always been a fast-moving feast for rallygoers and TV networks alike.

Mr. Trump doesn’t need feasts now. He needs votes, and the current rally formula is not sufficiently focused on the stark policy differences between him and Kamala Harris that will swing voters in battleground states. Instead, when Mr. Trump attacks Ms. Harris personally rather than on policy, Ms. Harris’ support among swing voters rises, particularly among women.

Let’s reimagine a Trump Rally 2.0 as my old boss takes the podium at his next rally. After a big welcome to the crowd and his obligatory recognition of the local dignitaries and political candidates he has endorsed, the former president immediately begins entering into an interactive Jumbotron “policy dialogue” with Kamala Harris.

Mr. Trump’s goal is to expose the radical and often incompetent and inexperienced elements of Ms. Harris’ policies. Yet in this interactive experience, instead of telling his rally audience that she supports an open border, defunding the police, defracking Pennsylvania, men competing in women’s sports or higher corporate taxes, Mr. Trump shows Ms. Harris expressing and revealing these stark differences in her own words on the Jumbotrons throughout the arena and on the TV sets of audiences watching the rally.

Through such simulated interactions, once Ms. Harris’ words are played and shown, Mr. Trump then offers his side of the policy equation, relates her policy to one of the many crises facing this country and, most importantly, offers concrete solutions.

As a second and synergistic Trump innovation and to further boost the policy content of the rallies, Mr. Trump could also feature video clips from former and perhaps future Trump advisers and Cabinet officials offering details of the specific policy actions he plans to take to bring inflation under control, secure the border, bring peace to Ukraine and the Middle East and so on. This suggests a third innovation.

Suppose that before each rally, Mr. Trump holds a press conference with select advisers on the issues: for example, Ric Grenell on foreign policy, Robert O’Brien on national security, former U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer on trade and tariffs, former Interior Secretary David Bernhardt on fracking, Tom Homan and Stephen Miller on illegal immigration.

As a fourth synergy, Mr. Trump might intersperse his remarks with video clips from citizens harmed by the policies that the Harris-Biden White House has implemented. For example, at a rally in Pennsylvania, Mr. Trump might introduce a video clip montage from workers in the fracking patch who have lost their jobs. These workers might be brought on at the end of the speech to join his policy advisers and the president on stage in a kind of “traveling road show” bow as you see at the end of a Broadway production.

Retooling and repositioning Trump Rally 1.0 to incorporate these innovations would be easy. Jumbotron and video screens are abundant in every arena Mr. Trump will play, speechwriters Vince Haley and Ross Worthington can easily incorporate the appropriate cues and language to simulate the proposed interactions, and there is a cornucopia of video clips that expose both Kamala Harris and her running mate, Tim Walz, for the “woke,” radical, dangerous politicians that they are. It would be equally easy to schedule news conferences before rallies, and Mr. Trump has no shortage of policy advisers to call upon to join him at the press conferences and record video clips for the interactive rally speeches. With this interactive Jumbotron-speak, Mr. Trump can have equal fun skewing Mr. Walz. Here, Mr. Trump can choose from any number of TV clips in which “Tampon Tim” supports feminine napkins in boys’ restrooms; deadly COVID-19 lockdowns as Minnesota governor; letting Minneapolis burn during the 2020 riots or committing “stolen valor” offenses as Mr. Walz abandoned his fellow soldiers on their way to the Iraq War.

As a final innovation — more of a courtesy and a strategy — Mr. Trump’s appearances at his rallies must always start on time at five after the hour in prime time and end promptly in 55 minutes. Why?

Trump rallies offer millions of dollars in free media, and if TV producers can count on precision timing, they will be much more inclined to cover them. When Mr. Trump goes long, he not only squanders precious time and energy he will need for the homestretch. He runs the risk of going off message and upsetting the whole rally apple cart. Never is there an admonition that less is more than in this Trump Rally 2.0 context.

And to make sure rallygoers get their “money’s worth,” policy advisers and politician dignitaries can warm up the crowd in the preceding hour in the same fashion as the tightly scripted and highly successful Republic National Convention.

A Duke Ellington song once said, “it don’t mean a thing if it ain’t got that swing.” Trump Rally 2.0 may be one of the best ways to reach the swing voters my old boss needs to win on Nov. 5.

Peter Navarro served for four years in the Trump White House as a senior adviser. His most recent book is “The New MAGA Deal: An Unofficial ‘De-plorables Guide’ to the Trump 2024 Policy Platform.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Riley:
« Reply #1646 on: August 14, 2024, 05:21:03 AM »
second

Trump Allows Harris a Second Chance at a First Impression
The former president needs to get over himself and focus on attacking the administration’s record.
Jason L. Riley
By
Jason L. Riley
Follow
Aug. 13, 2024 5:09 pm ET

Gift unlocked article

Listen

(5 min)

Democratic presidential nominee and Vice President Kamala Harris speaks at a campaign rally in Las Vegas, Aug. 10. Photo: Julia Nikhinson/Associated Press
President Biden was nudged off the top of the ticket last month because he was struggling in the polls, Democrats were unenthusiastic about his candidacy, and donors were becoming restive. Replacing him so late in the race with Vice President Kamala Harris was a risky move, though so far it’s paying off in spades.

Polls show the race tightening and Ms. Harris pulling ahead in several battleground states. Her campaign hauled in $310 million in July—more than double the $139 million the Trump campaign raised. Ms. Harris’s 2020 presidential candidacy went nowhere. She and other Biden rivals were passed over as too left-wing. But Donald Trump has given Ms. Harris a second chance to make a first impression.

Mr. Trump doesn’t seem to grasp that Ms. Harris isn’t Mr. Biden, an octogenarian in obvious physical and cognitive decline. Nor is she Hillary Clinton, who was deeply unpopular when Mr. Trump defeated her in 2016. Ugly personal attacks on Ms. Harris will thrill the MAGA right but few others. And trying to make an issue of her ethnic background is silly. Ms. Harris has identified as black for far longer than Mr. Trump has identified as a Republican.

Mr. Trump is likely to lose a contest that pits his character against the vice president’s. He would do better to contrast his administration’s record to the current one’s. Remind voters that before the pandemic the country was experiencing low inflation, solid economic growth and strong wage gains for the working class. Following the Trump tax cuts, U.S. companies returned profits that had been held overseas, poverty rates declined, and racial gaps in unemployment and earnings shrank.

Under Mr. Biden, living expenses have risen sharply. The prices of groceries and gasoline remain above pre-pandemic levels. The interest rate on a 30-year fixed mortgage is more than twice what it was in 2021, and the median price of a home has risen by nearly 40%. The southern border has seen record levels of illegal entries as border patrol officers have been turned into pencil pushers and are instructed to process fake asylum claims. Wars in Gaza and Ukraine have made U.S. allies less safe, and U.S. adversaries such as Iran and China are now more confident and threatening. A Trump campaign focused on forcing Ms. Harris to answer for this record would be difficult to defeat. But focusing on anything other than his personal grievances has never been the former president’s strong suit.

Read More Upward Mobility
Kamala Harris Isn’t the Change Democrats NeedJuly 23, 2024
Will Jewish Students Be Safe This Fall?July 16, 2024
This is why it’s no shock that Mr. Trump continues to waste precious days between now and November fulminating about the “stolen” 2020 election, giving shout-outs to the Jan. 6 “hostages” who ransacked the U.S. Capitol, and criticizing fellow Republican officials in swing states for being insufficiently loyal. Mr. Trump should be reminding voters why they rejected Ms. Harris four years ago, not reminding them why they rejected him.

Ms. Harris is counting on Mr. Trump’s inability to get over himself. She knows that an issues-based campaign would force her to defend not only the Biden administration’s poor record but also the numerous unpopular stances she took in the past. The vice president has supported a ban on fracking and offshore drilling, two major drivers of U.S. energy security. She has said she would “eliminate” private health insurance and impose a single-payer system run by the government. She has expressed support for abolishing agencies that enforce our immigration laws, endorsed slavery reparations, and backed efforts to defund the police. During the George Floyd protests, her sympathies were with the lawbreakers rather than their victims.

The Harris campaign is trying to walk back some of those positions, but voters deserve to know if that’s due to a change of heart or political expediency. The Trump campaign and its surrogates maintain that Ms. Harris’s surge in the polls is temporary. Perhaps it is, though a temporary bump with fewer than three months until Election Day might be all Democrats need. The political press understandably wants Ms. Harris to give more interviews, but if her media strategy thus far is working, why shouldn’t she continue to hold out as long as possible?

Besides, Republicans know better than to expect mainstream media outlets to ask tough questions of Democratic candidates. The journalists who cover Washington may want more access to Ms. Harris, but they also want Mr. Trump to lose. Count on them to interrogate her accordingly. If the Harris record is to receive the exposure and scrutiny it deserves, Mr. Trump must do it himself and do it consistently. That won’t happen so long as he’s preoccupied with past slights and present character assassination.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Trump will never change
« Reply #1647 on: August 14, 2024, 06:02:26 AM »
"Mr. Trump doesn’t seem to grasp that Ms. Harris isn’t Mr. Biden, an octogenarian in obvious physical and cognitive decline. Nor is she Hillary Clinton, who was deeply unpopular when Mr. Trump defeated her in 2016. Ugly personal attacks on Ms. Harris will thrill the MAGA right but few others."

Obviously, he has a personality disorder of such type he cannot change.

Look at how Harris can follow a script like a high school student in a play .
Trump can't even adjust his messaging.
I am thinking very good politicians can adjust.   He cannot adjust.
Of course, he has people around him who must have in every way imaginable pleaded begged and explained in great detail the mistakes he makes with his quick reactionary tweets.

In his mind he can't control himself but also I suspect he thinks he knows better and they are wrong and he is right.
He has rationalized that his personality flaw is actually a strength because he has always been unable to truly be introspective.   It is truly a psycopathic trait .

Since he is the R's chosen one we can only do our best around the fringes.   But if Harris is truly doing better in the polls we know it is not the policies it is him.   Yet in his mind he is unable to figure it out.

He gave a glimmer of hope after he was shot and seemed to be more humbled.   But alas that lasted what? About 24hrs? 

We all know this but I have for 9 yrs been so both pleased and frustrated by this man I can't help venting.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024, It Makes No Sense
« Reply #1648 on: August 15, 2024, 05:40:13 AM »
Winston Marshall
@MrWinMarshall
·
Follow
Why wouldn’t a press conference help Kamala win?

After all, she has a flawless record, superb and wide-ranging policy, a sophisticated understanding of geopolitics, a profound comprehension of economics,

And wit, charm, intelligence and charisma

Am I missing something?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: August 15, 2024, 06:51:14 AM »
yes you are:

you forgot -  >  JOY!