https://x.com/NicoleShanahan/status/1829291690277966165

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Truman expected to lose
« Reply #1701 on: August 31, 2024, 06:54:00 AM »
Truman  Trump :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewey_Defeats_Truman

he is down even in conservative polls though barely ahead in electoral college.
the lean conservative pollsters do point out the the leftist polls seem to be skewing the surveys to Harris.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Truman expected to lose
« Reply #1702 on: August 31, 2024, 06:20:12 PM »
"barely ahead in electoral college."

That used to be good enough.

My theory is, this is her high water mark.  She got the honeymoon, she's got her zero convention bounce.  She showed herself in the interview. The VP no one liked. If she continues to hide, the voters can get to know her and her positions through old clips on Trump commercials. That cackle isn't going away even if she could quit doing it.

Let's see, she's awful to listen to, she isn't smart, she isn't funny, she isn't accomplished, didn't earn her way in.  Even she can't run on her policy positions. Her foreign policy record is terrible.  Her economic record is terrible.  She really did bail out criminals, really did say the riots should go on, while the cities were smoldering.

We didn't even get to the day drinking.

I don't see what good bounces she still has coming.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2024
« Reply #1703 on: September 01, 2024, 07:16:32 AM »
listening to her I cannot stop wondering how in the world did this woman become attorney general of the most populous state.

Then I think Fanni Willis and I can sort of know why.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Will Trump be jailed?
« Reply #1704 on: September 01, 2024, 08:39:39 AM »
sentencing this month.

cannot find if date is assigned yet.

I don't think I am being cynical but just a realist when I say the sentence will all depend on internal Dem polling.
If it helps Harris he will go to jail,  if home arrest helps her it will be that.

If neither it will something else. 

I recommend community service - > being President for 4 yrs. !    :-D

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Will Trump be jailed?
« Reply #1705 on: September 01, 2024, 09:11:54 AM »
"I recommend community service - > being President for 4 yrs. ! "

Good one!  He could serve as President with no pay.

Sentencing will likely lead to instant appeal.  Also the end of gag order I think.

None of this takes him off the ballot and none has changed votes.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: September 02, 2024, 05:31:16 AM »
 Battleground Polls
Pennsylvania: Trump 47, Harris 45
Michigan: Harris 47, Trump 47
Wisconsin: Trump 47, Harris 46
Minnesota: Harris 48, Trump 43
Arizona: Trump 49, Harris 48
Nevada: Trump 48, Harris 47
North Carolina: Trump 49, Harris 48
Georgia: Trump 48, Harris 48
Map: Trump 219, Harris 208, TU 111
The REALCLEARPOLITICS

if the race starts after Labor day, this is the starting position

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Kammy Doesn’t Get the Gold Star
« Reply #1707 on: September 03, 2024, 01:14:43 PM »
I’ve been tracking the hullabaloo over Trump’s visit to Arlington cemetery last week. Looks to me like Dems and the MSM—as synonymous as those two terms are—are trying to get some jits going as they are exposed on the horrible handling of the Afghan exit and so want to make this about Trump’s supposed lack of decorum rather their utter military incompetence. Well the Gold Star families have something to say about that:

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1830639947625476233?s=61

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2024, Liz Cheney Aug 2020
« Reply #1709 on: September 05, 2024, 06:18:34 AM »
Liz Cheney
@Liz_Cheney
Follow
Kamala Harris is a radical liberal who would
raise taxes, take away guns & health
insurance, and explode the size and power
of the federal gov't. She wants to recreate
America in the image of what's happening
on the streets of Portland & Seattle. We
won't give her the chance.
3:17 PM • Aug 11, 2020

[Flashback hat tip: Instapundit]

Must see videohttps://x.com/RepLizCheney/status/1293620722624090113
-------------------------------------------------

Hey Liz, It's all still true about Kamala Harris.  What's changed is you're not running for office in Wyoming anymore.  Kamala says her core principles haven't changed.  Have yours?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2024, 08:46:52 AM by DougMacG »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024 Candidates' Budgets
« Reply #1710 on: September 09, 2024, 07:45:26 AM »
Kamala:  4.6 Trillion in Tax Hikes, Zero in Spending Cuts  (CTUP)

In years past, even liberals would propose two or three dollars of spending cuts for every dollar they wanted to raise in taxes. At least they pretended to want to cut fat out of the budget.

The only reductions we have seen from Harris are due to gimmicks like Medicare price controls or revoking patents to lower costs.

We have a $7 trillion budget and a nearly $2 trillion deficit.  Not one serious spending cut.

[Doug]  Mentioned once before, we spend nearly 40% more than we take in.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trump has endorsed Elon Musk's idea for a federal efficiency commission, which might be the very best plan possible for budget restraint at this point, keeping the specifics from getting demagogued in the campaign.

https://www.wsj.com/opinion/trumps-best-idea-unleashing-elon-musk-on-government-reform-707cf218?st=ournuko80tohf29

Scoll right  ==>
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 08:30:57 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: September 09, 2024, 07:57:18 AM »
Deficits are taxes on the future-- i.e. taxation without representation.

Spending as a % of GDP is a bottom-line primal measurement of FREEDOM itself.

Well worth noting is that the chart above is FEDERAL spending and does not include STATE and MUNICIPAL spending.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: September 09, 2024, 08:33:17 AM »
" Trump has endorsed Elon Musk's idea for a federal efficiency commission "

sounds like this is crucial to save ourselves from financial disaster and the replacement of the dollar by something from BRICS etc.

But what a gigantic exercise that would be
with all the Federal agencies :

We need to show people the real insane level of government growth there is and as CD points out that excludes state, county, municipal governments   :-o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_federal_agencies_in_the_United_States

It is all so mind boggling.

Our government is almost as nuts as the National Debt :

A few weeks ago I called such a figure, a trillion dollars, incomprehensible, and I’ve been trying ever since to think of a way to illustrate how big a trillion really is. And the best I could come up with is that if you had a stack of thousand-dollar bills in your hand only 4 inches high, you’d be a millionaire. A trillion dollars would be a stack of thousand-dollar bills 67 miles high

If one stacks up all the government buildings I wonder what the total office space would be?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024, High Risk, Low Reward Debate for Kamala Harris
« Reply #1713 on: September 09, 2024, 10:21:47 AM »
Of course it's not really a debate, it's a series of alternating 90 second camera, microphone spots.  Like the Dana Bash interview, she will be asked some real questions, as will he.

Trump has been interviewing and facing hostile questions all along, while Kamala has benefited polling-wise by hiding. 

Her convention speech was scripted and this will be also, but not reading from a teleprompter.

My guess is the same outcome I first wrote (wrongly) after the Trump Biden debate, each side made their points and will declare victory. 

In Trump's case, he has an agenda and has nothing left to hide.  The 90 second limit keeps him from rambling and the microphone off switch prevents the cross talk that destroyed the Trump Biden debate. 

The lawfare against him has been a failure, and his Presidency is remembered as having greater prosperity and a more peaceful world. Every chance he gets to point that out, he wins.

Harris is treading a fine line.  Her sudden rise of recent comes from her position in the current administration, and if strictly tied to the results of this administration, she loses.

She is tied to her previous statements and positions from running for President in the 2020 cycle.  If strictly tied to those radical positions and policies, she loses.

So her game plan is called a "New Way Forward".  Her supporters are perfectly happy not knowing what that means, but filling her share of a 90 minute prime time slot with nothingness is another trait she is known for.  If she does that, she loses.

Her so-called flip flops are unexplainable other than to say she is masking the real her to get elected.  If that becomes apparent and how wouldn't it, she loses.

These aren't small issues she flipped on.  Banning fracking is perhaps the biggest issue for the most important state.  Banning of drilling affected everyone at the pump.  No taxes on tips is an obvious copy of Trump who had this questionable policy first.  Ban gas cars?  More than 99% of the cars on the road are gas cars.  And the rest came from subsidies paid from hard working people to mostly millionaires.  Is that really the fight she wants to have?  No, but if backed into explaining it, she loses.

The Ukraine war is unpopular and dangerous.  It happened because of Biden Harris weakness.  I actually believe Trump will settle this war in a day, at least figuratively.  Harris can't say that because she already sits at the top and hasn't done it.  Unless you count the guy on the beach as Commander in Chief, this is her war.  If cornered on this, she loses.

The Middle East war is even riskier for her.  Half the Democrat activists hate Israel and she can't go full anti-Israel.  Trying to thread the needle in the convention speech she said these two things happened "at the same time".  If pressed on that, she loses.

Same for the war against the Houthis.  They're attacking ships, closing shipping lanes and she is doing nothing.  If this comes up, she loses.  You think Trump wouldn't do anything about it?  Ask Qasem Soleimani about that.

Afghan withdrawal.  That was to be their signature foreign policy achievement.  If this comes up, she loses.

And then there is the elephant in the room, the economy.  By this time, EVERYONE knows the voters prefer Republicans and Trump on the economy.  The more it's discussed, the more they will understand why.  These Democrat policies caused these horrific results.  As Jim Clyburn said, and she was in the room, "all of us knew".  All of them knew that new multi-trillion dollar spending would result in inflation.  How could it not?  Now she proposes more taxes and more spending, the largest tax increase in the history of the world, sorry fact checkers, no exaggeration there.  What will be the result?  More stagnation (or recession/depression) and more and more inflation.  Didn't we already try that?  If confronted on that, she loses.

Her housing policy, she says housing is unaffordable so plans to give select people $25,000 for their down payment.  Does that make house prices go up or down?  Didn't people having little or no down cause the last housing crisis?  If scrutinized on that, she loses.

So she will make her point of division.  Her taxes, her spending all helps these people, those making under 400k they like to say, and only hurts those people, the 1% or whatever.  If someone (Trump) can make the point that you don't help the workers by destroying the employers, she loses.

Should be interesting.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: September 09, 2024, 01:59:19 PM »
Out of Trump's control will be the questions that get asked
and how they ask it.

will there be questions on Trump's personality or tweets or name calling?
Will there be questions such as you are convicted BS?

Will there be questions on Harris real lack of any accomplishments as an AG or VP or brief stint in the Senate
or her rated most radical leftist in the Senate ?

or will questions focus on her expressed policies and not question her flip flops

will there be a border question to her
or will it be asked to Trump do you plan on throwing out all illegals with no other reference to the disaster it has caused the US.

we know abortion will be brought up.

how about reparations?

how about the budget deficit ?  [never]

how about taxation that will hurt everyone not just the very rich of those making over 1 million per yr etc

etc.

Can Trump turn back on the questions I expect will be to hurt him ?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024 Polling dead even, debate tonight
« Reply #1716 on: September 10, 2024, 06:31:02 AM »
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/09/08/kamala-harris-donald-trump-poll-takeaways-00177903

Kamala gained in the polls - by saying nothing and now needs to speak.  What could go wrong.

Who is best able to handle the economy?
WSJ: Trump 51 percent, Harris 43 percent
NYT: Trump 55 percent to Harris 42 percent

In 2020 exit polls, those numbers were:
Trump 49 percent and Biden 49 percent

So Harris is in a double digits worse position on this, compared to a tied previous election.

89% of Trump voters said the nation is headed in the wrong direction.
(Not likely to change to change their minds.)

Only 56% of Harris voters said the country is on the right track, 44% not impressed with their own governance?

RCP Betting odds right now:  Trump 52% Harris 47%.
https://www.realclearpolling.com/betting-odds/2024/president

RCP no tossups, Trump 281, Harris 257

If Harris stumbles or is tripped up, this is over for her.  No pressure.

Mentioned in my earlier post, there isn't a question Trump hasn't seen.  He faces them all the time.  Convicted felon is a tee off on lawfare.  Abortion? Should be left to the states.  J6? I asked them to go forward peacefully and patriotically, I offered more security and Democrats in power turned it down.
 Ukraine? I'll settle it in a day.

'At the same time', Harris fears almost every question that could be asked. Tax plan, Inflation, spending, budgets, private healthcare, border, energy, fracking, war, Israel, Iran, defense, Houthis, Afghan withdrawal, or just the protecting and toppling of Biden?  None of these and even her extreme position on abortion could bring her down.

No doubt she has a prepared answer for each, but these 'answers' are non-answers and don't hold up to scrutiny. 

In 90 minutes she might accidentally speak her own mind and her own views.

And then there are her habits that one might say is the opposite of charisma.  Cackling at her own jokes and nodding in agreement to her own points as she makes them. 

Something made her unpopular and only staying out of view corrected that.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2024, 06:32:45 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: September 10, 2024, 06:44:21 AM »
" and nodding in agreement to her own points as she makes them."

I've noted and reflected a bit on her distinctive head bobbing thing and wondered what a body language expert would say.   As best as I can tell it is something along the lines of what NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) would call "pacing"-- using body language to establish bonding/agreement.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: September 10, 2024, 04:17:40 PM »
" and nodding in agreement to her own points as she makes them."

I've noted and reflected a bit on her distinctive head bobbing thing and wondered what a body language expert would say.   As best as I can tell it is something along the lines of what NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) would call "pacing"-- using body language to establish bonding/agreement.

I think you are right. She thinks nodding means everyone sees and feels the agreement with her no matter how shallow and first level thinking the point is. Like saying 'right?' after each partial sentence, right? meaning we're all in agreement, right? no matter how wrong it might be, right?

Or it may be this:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0022510X96001530#:~:text=Delayed%2Donset%2C%20yes%2Fyes,relieved%20with%20botulinum%20toxin%20A.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024, Debate, Any comments?
« Reply #1719 on: September 10, 2024, 08:42:22 PM »
I missed the beginning.  In general, Trump looked angry, I think he was trying to look strong.  Kamala made the best she could out of a weak hand.  A lot of projection, like Trump will go after his political opponents, while they just went after all of theirs.  To the low information voter, it could be persuasive.

Kamala doesn't know she is the incumbent, or doesn't want us to know.  At one point Trump laid that out perfectly, she's had 3 1/2 years, why hasn't she done that, done all those things she says she will do.  Good point.

Kamala gets to have it both ways.  She's ready because she's been this historic Vice President and she has to be inaugurated to enact her ideas.  She said, maybe 6 or 8 times in 2 minutes, "I have a plan." "I have a plan."  And she pre-announced 2 or 3 things to make it sound credible that she has a plan.  Free 25k that will do nothing but drive home price bubble up further, and something else that also doesn't make up for all the inflation so far and into the future.

[Doug]  I have a plan too but nobody asks me.

They asked her about her flip flops or whatever innocent word they put on it and she just doubled down on denial of the old and promise of the new.  But her principles haven't changed.  It really just all pivots back, for her, to how bad Trump is.

Trump overall underperformed.  He didn't lock this down.  She was way better at what she does than he expected. He was put on defense way too much and looked angry when on offense.  I see plenty of reasons to be angry but it's not the most persuasive or likeable look.

Trump should have debated all through the primaries and made himself sharper and readier.  Too bad.

I doubt they will do it again. 

I expect the VP debate in early October will be similar.  Walz will be on offense the whole time and not be made to answer for all his scandals, bad policies and radical ideas.
https://alphanews.org/u-s-house-committee-subpoenas-walz-in-investigation-of-feeding-our-future-scandal/
« Last Edit: September 10, 2024, 08:46:36 PM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: September 10, 2024, 09:27:30 PM »
I too missed the first half
came home was told Trump looked good and she nervous
then the moderators had to bring up 1/6 and his denying the election results and it was apparently all down hill

he took the bait and went off needlessly about it , harris was grinning and gained confidence seeing he lost his cool and wasted too much time over it - in my opinion.  and of course the moderators , rabid Trump haters took the opportunity to pile on with even more glee from Harris.

As I was afraid of,  Trump is unable to put her away.

Like Mark Levin could do, like O'Reilly could do , likely VDH and probably even Meghan Kelly.

Too much she is "weak"

This never would have happened if I was President etc......

He was asked about the substitute for Obama care (of course) and he had no answer except his people are working on ideas.......

Folks , bottom line , you want to provide health care to everyone then someone has to pay.

If there was a good answer, like a old friend of mine ( we have not cracked the code) it would have been found by now.

And no it is not the health industry delighting in treating disease while avoiding how to cure it as the problem.

The issue of race came up , of course, and Harris made it as though he is bringing it up by questioning her being black and he blew it .  He could easily have said it is her and her party that makes race a front and center issue 24/7.
Not, he not Rs.

Just watch the DNC - everything was about DEI race race race race etc.

For goodness sakes , how could he not point that out?

Bottom line , he could have and should have finished her off but he didn't and himself got rattled in my HO

What gets me is how is it that after all this time, with all we know about Harris and Trump people still can't make up their minds or are waiting to see who Taylor Swift is going to vote for .

« Last Edit: September 11, 2024, 03:34:31 AM by ccp »

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
An “Undecided Voter” Lays it Out for CNN
« Reply #1721 on: September 11, 2024, 01:04:19 AM »
Compare and contrast, just as we did in freshman English:

https://x.com/actbrigitte/status/1833716011889037601?s=61

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: September 11, 2024, 04:18:15 AM »
Not one US troop in harm's way?

Not one question on China?

Moderator one way, false fact check.  No  push back on Kamala falsehoods.

Hard to believe moderators and Harris worked that closely together on screen and didn't collude in prep, choosing the questions and the smug moderator pushback.

All that wasn't asked should be the story.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2024, 04:20:36 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: September 11, 2024, 06:32:21 AM »
"Hard to believe moderators and Harris worked that closely together on screen and didn't collude in prep, choosing the questions and the smug moderator pushback."

Agree.

Almost on cue when I started to watch the debate at around the 1/6 question and the moderator had to push back 2 or times Trump (like a bear who cannot learn to avoid a bear trap  :cry:) began to get a bit rattled and she perked right up and confidence seemed to increased based on what I was told about the early part of the debate.

The LEFT keeps telling us Trump has scowl and seems angry -  >>   well hell yeah .  As he should be .  Look what they have done to this country.   And they want more of the same.

BTW, I told everyone Taylor Swift was rotten lying little shit!

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: September 11, 2024, 06:47:00 AM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024, Moderators were participants, this is WAY beyond biased
« Reply #1726 on: September 11, 2024, 06:50:22 AM »
Nicole Wallace on MSNBC, the moderators played an important role in that.

https://x.com/townhallcom/status/1833702094198509867

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: September 11, 2024, 06:56:30 AM »
And now the MSM broadcasts 24/7 how Harris put Trump on the defensive and thus she won

Exactly as we all predicted.

So many people on my favorite podcasts were advising DJT NOT to take the bait and even gave him countless alternative answers including Kelly, O'Reilly, VDH and Levin (who is out with an injury - at the worst possible time).

I think Newt did too and the Fox hosts probably Ingraham et al. as well.

I could not sleep well last night. 

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: September 11, 2024, 07:43:11 AM »
Well, with any luck, Trump will accept Team Harris's challenge/invitation for another debate in October.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024, Next debate, no moderators
« Reply #1731 on: September 11, 2024, 03:23:40 PM »
They can't agree on a network and no moderator is acceptable to both of them.  There won't be another debate, unless...

CTUP:  "Our humble suggestion for future debates: no moderators. Alternating speeches and cross-examination periods in which the candidates question each other."

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
PP: ABC Moderators
« Reply #1732 on: September 11, 2024, 03:45:51 PM »
Disgraceful ABC Moderators Helped Harris Win
Nate Jackson

I hate to say it, but Kamala Harris won last night's first and perhaps only presidential debate with Donald Trump. At least after her awkward handshake introduction — "Kamala Harris," she said as if Trump didn't know who she is — and her painfully obvious early nerves. She looked at the camera and spoke directly to voters, mostly avoided her typical word salads, appealed to emotion (especially for women), reacted with feeling at the right moments, aimed a well-practiced glare at the former president while he was speaking, and delivered some hard hits. Of course, it's easy to look good when both of ABC's disgraceful pair of so-called moderators were piling on her opponent.

And she won Taylor Swift's endorsement. What a surprise.

[Narrator: Nate wasn't surprised.]

That doesn't mean Harris proved herself to be anything other than a propped-up shell of a candidate with sometimes downright immoral and evil policies. She failed to offer much substance or to explain where she's been and what she's been doing for three and a half years.

Unfortunately, Trump also didn't have his best night. He didn't look like he spent five minutes preparing, instead devoting too much time to rehashing many of his familiar grievances, derailing his own effective attack lines with random thoughts and topic changes (squirrel!), and taking the bait multiple times on inane things like the size of his rally crowds or whether people leave early. Let it go, dude.

Harris and the moderators had him on the defensive for most of the night, and he missed some key chances to hold her accountable. He didn't even hit Tim Walz for stolen valor amidst the military discussion. Big whiff.

Trump did have some humorous zingers. "I'm talking now, if you don't mind," he shot back at Harris when she spoke during his turn. "Does that sound familiar?" He also joked that he "was going to send her a MAGA hat" because she'd stolen so many of his policies.

He successfully and repeatedly hit the Biden/Harris failure on the border and the utter disaster of so many illegal alien criminals crossing our borders and committing crimes — that, by the way, otherwise wouldn't have happened. He generally did well on foreign policy, for example correctly asserting that Russia's invasion of Ukraine never would have happened on his watch. He began the evening by rightly noting — albeit with insufficient explanation — that cumulative inflation under Biden/Harris is over 20% and, in many cases, 50% or more.

Arguably, his best moment was the beginning of his closing statement: "She just started by saying she's gonna do this, she's gonna do that, she's gonna do all these wonderful things," he said. "Why hasn't she done it? She's been there for three and a half years. They've had three and a half years to fix the border. They've had three and a half years to create jobs and all the things we talked about. Why hasn't she done it?"

Reminding voters that Harris has been vice president for nearly four years and hanging Joe Biden's myriad failures around her neck is exactly what he should spend all day every day doing.

Yet he undercut his own point by finishing on an angry and rambling tirade about seemingly disconnected ideas and places. If viewers made it all the way through the roughly hour and 40 minutes, that wasn't a good taste to leave in their mouths.

It's also fair to say that few of us would have a great night in a three-on-one debate like last night's, but complaining about biased and unfair moderators isn't going to win undecided or uninformed and misinformed voters who don't realize how awful the moderators actually were. Griping about them doesn't make Trump look good.

But make no mistake: David Muir and Linsey Davis were atrocious. They made themselves the centerpiece of the debate, "fact-checking" Trump — and only Trump — several times throughout the night, mostly by giving false or distorted information themselves. Muir even "fact-checked" Trump on what Trump said was his own sarcastic tone in a comment. "I did watch all of these pieces of video," Muir chastised. "I didn't detect the sarcasm." Unreal.

And when the moderators weren't directly fact-checking Trump, they were asking him something along the lines of, You're terrible and said awful things. Why are you so mean and false?

Or they asked Harris setup questions about his controversies for her to rebuke him. Mr. Trump said this horrible thing. How does that make you feel?

They let her slide on multiple egregious lies, like the mischaracterization of Charlottesville (again) and Trump's "bloodbath" comment about the economy. They didn't bother correcting her on crime data, police deaths on January 6, fracking, troops in combat zones, or the Project 2025 nonsense, either, just to pick a few of Kamala's many lies and distortions.

They also didn't ask her why she covered for Joe Biden's obvious cognitive decline — right up until the moment she undemocratically stole the nomination from him.

By contrast, they even (predictably) "fact-checked" Trump on the story about illegal aliens eating pets in Ohio. Residents say it's happening, he argued, but Muir dismissed it because a "city manager" denies seeing any evidence. The point shouldn't be pets but the overrun communities of America.

Inexplicably, the moderators didn't fact-check Harris when she falsely told Trump that Vladimir Putin would "eat you for lunch." There is no evidence Putin is a cannibal. Have they no journalistic integrity?

Sarcasm aside, no Republican should ever again agree to a debate on ABC.

Harris knew last night was likely her only debate and one of her best shots at drawing a contrast with Trump. Perhaps her best (by which I mean worst) moments were playing to a woman's disdain for a man who was held liable for sexual assault and asserting, Donald Trump certainly should not be telling a woman what to do with her body.

Fact-check: A baby is not a woman's body. That's science.

Nevertheless, Harris clearly rehearsed exactly how she wanted to show her emotion over abortion so that women all over America would identify with her. It was, unfortunately, a skilled maneuver.

The discussion also brought an angry fact-check from ABC's Linsey Davis. When Trump brought up Virginia Governor Ralph Northam's 2019 comments about what sure sounded like infanticide to me, Harris responded with disbelief and Davis said with all the contempt she could muster, There is no state in this country where it is legal to kill a baby after it's born.

Kill a baby after it's born. Let that inadvertent admission sink in.

A more helpful fact-check the moderators could have thrown in is that the United States is one of seven nations in the entire world — in the company of China, North Korea, and Vietnam — that allows late-term abortions. Even The Washington Post admits that's true, and Trump rightly pinned Harris on her extremism.

There's so much more I could say, but what I hope voters remember from last night's debate is that Harris is practically the incumbent, and she bears responsibility for the myriad failures over the last three and a half years. Inflation persists, and she ensured the bills that created it passed Congress. She was the last person in the room when deciding the disastrous retreat from Afghanistan. And so on.

Will last night's debate move the needle? We'll see, but remember this: There are fewer battleground states than in 2020, and, as we have often noted, Trump lost by about 43,000 votes in three states. Biden's seven million-vote margin was almost entirely in New York and California. No wonder Democrats want to eliminate the Electoral College.

The needle likely won't move much as a result of this debate, but in an election when the country is split virtually 50-50, small movements win elections. That's why Democrats are ready with bulk-mail ballots. Early voting starts next week..

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: September 11, 2024, 08:18:25 PM »
One more miss by Trump, as expected, he never said a word about this is a team.  I need a Republican House and these Republican Senators elected too if you want me to reverse course on all their harmful Leftism and make America great again.

As the last piece said, don't underestimate how hard that was, being in a room where everyone is diabolically pulling against you, but he also did no prep and it showed.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Gray Flannel Butterscotch Farts & Other Assorted Musings
« Reply #1735 on: September 12, 2024, 10:46:27 AM »
A wide ranging piece, albeit one about 2024 at its core:

Another another another "another Humpday Shrapnel post" post post
Humpday news in digestible bites

JEFF GOLDSTEIN
SEP 11, 2024
According to ABC News, “there is no evidence of migrants eating pets.” This in response to claims from locals, and then from conservative media and even Donald Trump himself during last evening’s debate, that Haitian migrants dumped by the multiple tens of thousands into Springfield, Ohio — now over a third Haitian in total populations — are casing local parks for loose meats in the form of pond ducks and migrating geese. Locals are also suggesting that Haitian immigrants are stealing people’s pets and eating them, a charge several leftwing talking heads have labeled “racist,” because of course they have.
The evidence ABC News and other legacy media outlets are citing is a denial from city bureaucrats, which is good enough for them, naturally. A government functionary confirmed what they wanted to hear, so, you know, “debunked!” Except that first hand accounts continue to flood in from Springfield residents, and the Federalist has exclusive police audio and the link to a police report that seems to corroborate many of the claims made by locals.
If you haven’t already read my longer take on the left’s response to the Springfield issue, you can read it here. For today though, what I want to focus on is JD Vance’s response to CNN, who attempted to frame him a rank conspiracy monger, and by extension, to dismiss those people in Springfield who have made their concerns known both to city officials and now, to any media outlet who will listen to them. Which — shockingly! — does not seem to include CNN. Vance’s reply to Kaitlan Collins in instructive:
The media didn't care about the carnage wrought by these policies until we turned it into a meme about cats. And that speaks to the media's failure to care about what's going on in these communities. If we have to meme about it to get the media to care, we're going to keep on doing it.
Good stuff. Meme them into oblivion. And please. Someone go talk Erick Erickson down off the roof and get the dear lady some laudanum and some yellow wallpaper.

About the Presidential debate. I didn’t watch it live. Just couldn’t do it. An ambush was what I expected, and an ambush, by all accounts, was what ABC News delivered. During the debate, however, I was regularly texting with my wife, who was giving me her feedback. She leans conservative, but on a workaday basis she’s way less invested in presidential politics than I. Her thoughts: Harris may have done enough to appear competent, though she dodged most of the questions and was helped out by the moderators, who were in the bag for her. Trump was sometimes disciplined and sometimes not. He got baited a few times, he rambled, he wavered from pedantic to vague, but he ended strongly. Most of the memorable moments of the debate came from him.
This assessment tracks with what I learned following along on X — though Harris coming out and requesting a second debate immediately afterward has me thinking that something in the internals of the Harris-Walz snap polls weren’t what the campaign was hoping for. One potential reason is that Harris was largely scripted, curiously mannered, and the moderators spent most of the time debating Trump for her. In several instances I’ve read about this morning — outside of the Washington Post, which everyone but Alex Berenson seems to know is no longer a news source — response from undecideds has been less than stellar. If Harris hopes to use platitudes and dodge questions as the moderate “joy” candidate, the strategy of laying entirely low may not prove as effective as it did for Biden in 2020. Her attempts to distance herself from Biden Administration policies and her own policies of just a few years ago, came with no attendant rationale. And it appears, at least thus far, that not everyone is buying her transformation from Marxist club girl to buttoned-up Bush Republican.

The saga of Venezuelan gangs taking over Aurora, Colorado highrises has taken another bizarre twist — though not one we shouldn’t have anticipated. Per Chris Rufo and Christina Buttons:
Beginning last year, a large influx of Venezuelan migrants, some of them members of the notorious Tren de Aragua street gang, reportedly had “taken over” a series of apartment buildings in Aurora—and unleashed terror. Last month, Venezuelan migrants were allegedly implicated in an attempted homicide, an arrest of purported gang members, and shocking security footage that showed heavily armed men forcibly entering one of the apartments. In response to the chaos, police mobilized en masse and vacated one of the complexes after the city, alleging code violations, deemed it uninhabitable.
An obvious question: How did members of Venezuelan gangs suddenly find themselves in suburban Colorado? To answer this, we have conducted an exclusive investigation, which leads to a troubling conclusion: the Biden administration, in partnership with Denver authorities and publicly subsidized NGOs, provided the funding and logistics to place a large number of Venezuelan migrants in Aurora, creating a magnet for crime and gangs. And, worse, some of the nonprofits involved appear to be profiting handsomely from the situation.
The story begins in 2021, when the Biden administration signed the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) into law, allocating $3.8 billion in federal funds to Colorado. The City of Denver, which had declared itself a “welcoming city” to migrants, drew on this reservoir of money to launch its Emergency Migrant Response resettlement program, with the goal of housing and providing services to a massive flow of migrants.
Denver, in turn, signed multimillion-dollar contracts with two local NGOs, ViVe Wellness and Papagayo, to provide housing and services to more than 8,000 predominantly Venezuelan migrants. These NGOs are run, respectively, by Yoli Casas and Marielena Suarez, who, according to professional biographies, do not appear to have previous experience in large-scale migrant resettlement.
Nevertheless, the city flooded them with cash.
Response from Democrats and their media flacks has been, well, predictable. There’s no real gang activity at all, we’re assured. Just Republicans pouncing!
But no worries. All this means is that we’re about two weeks away from a second Axios piece, also by Esteban L. Hernandez, in which he argues that, of course Venezuelan gangs are taking over entire apartment buildings — and yes, the whole thing was shadow funded by the Biden Administration — but that’s because diversity is our strength, and plucky Venezuelan gang members are showing spirited initiative, building small businesses in the drug and human trafficking trades that will no doubt bring additional dollars into the community thru more tax revenue, which will go toward better schools and homeless shelters for runaway chihuahuas. They really are the best of us, after all.
Ed Morrissey, Hot Air. “Should Republicans Wet the Bed Over the Debate? Depends”:
Did Trump do what he needed to do? He certainly tried to keep the focus on the Biden-Harris record, in nearly every answer. Trump could have done better on focusing attacks on Harris' flip-flops, which ABC's questions touched on but didn't demand explanations from Harris. He did try to remind voters of her radical past (and likely present), but he could have done more and offered more specifics on those. And for the most part, Trump remained disciplined and avoided personal attacks, even when Muir tried to goad him into a debate over Harris' identity -- a question he should have repudiated entirely rather than engage, even to the limited extent he did.
Trump may not have been effective enough in all of these efforts for that to break through. But then again, he was debating three people on stage, not one, and part of his effort went into responding to Muir and Davis as well.
Fair enough. I think sometimes those of us deeply invested in politics overdetermine certain aspects of that world when it collides with everyday life outside of social media. Casual viewers of last night’s spectacle, some post-debate polling seems to suggest, evidently saw in Trump someone forced to debate three people; a man who was dogged by moderators frequently (and often inaccurately) “fact checking” him, then cutting him off; a man who was angry at the state of the country after four years away from his own largely successful presidency. Harris, alternately, mugged and posed and vogued and sniggered her way through split-screen shots, which only added to the appearance of an orchestrated ambush by the VP and her pals at ABC News. Americans like an underdog — and in this debate, it was clear who the “referees” were pulling for. Or rather, pulling along. So I guess we’ll see. As Gary Kubiak might say, “we’re fixing to find out.”
Meanwhile, over at one of the headquarters of the Deep State:

A former CIA officer and contract linguist for the FBI who received cash, golf clubs and other expensive gifts in exchange for spying for China faces a decade in prison if a U.S. judge approves his plea agreement Wednesday.

Alexander Yuk Ching Ma, 71, made a deal in May with federal prosecutors, who agreed to recommend the 10-year term in exchange for his guilty plea to a count of conspiracy to gather or deliver national defense information to a foreign government.

The deal also requires him to submit to polygraph tests, whenever requested by the U.S. government, for the rest of his life.

As the increasingly cartoonish “alt-right” points to Winston Churchill as architect of their present predicament as asshole-end of the human centipede that is “intersectional hierarchy,” less insane people continue to notice how the US is being pushed more and more into an Americanized version of Maoism — which, incidentally, demands you reject Old History and begin again with what is new and woke, led by revolutionaries like, say, Andrew Tate, Candace Owens, some Danish MD who appears to have survived a zamboni accident, or that one dude who takes pictures of himself with sportscars and threw an Only Fans Girl off a roof. To the new “right” woke, Hitler was wronged by the evil allies and their Jew puppet masters. Knowing this, all history that informed the US liberal order and American exceptionalism is suspect. To get back on the righteous path, then, we must start anew, “unburdened by what has been.” It’s Year Zero for the Christian Nationalists. And blood and soil are the coin of the realm.

Sound familiar?

When I told you the alt-right was nothing more than the Klannish flipside of the New Left — regardless of how I mistakenly lumped Trump in with that coterie back in 2016 — I wasn’t just sniffing my own farts.

That I do for fun, on my own time. And before you think to kink shame me, be advised: you’ve never smelled my offerings.

Like butterscotch and Gray Flannel had a baby, my people. Chef’s kiss!

https://jeffgoldstein.substack.com/p/another-another-another-another-humpday?r=1qo1e&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email&triedRedirect=true

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Pollsters surprised by independents real time reactions
« Reply #1737 on: September 12, 2024, 02:27:58 PM »
« Last Edit: September 12, 2024, 02:30:27 PM by Crafty_Dog »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: September 12, 2024, 08:15:01 PM »
Who is Chuck Callesto?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: September 13, 2024, 05:28:44 AM »
A repeater of unverified rumor.  I'm happy to take the post down - until verified.

I believe the substance, they collaborated in every way possible on screen so why wouldn't they collaborate off screen.  But that doesn't mean a whistleblower has been identified.

There's a firewall between the Democrats in power and the Democrats in media, no possible backchannel:  Oops, head of ABC News introduced Kamala Harris to her husband Doug Emhoff.

Atop ABC, a Personal Connection to Kamala Harris - The New York Times
August 11, 2024 - The candidate is a longtime friend of Dana Walden, a senior Disney executive whose portfolio includes ABC News, the host of the next debate. ABC says she does not weigh in on editorial decisions

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/11/business/media/abc-debate-dana-walden-kamala-harris.html

Since the 1980s, Kamala Harris and Doug Emhoff have been such close friends with Dana and Matt Walden that the vice-president credits them with “being responsible” for her marriage.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/us/politics/2024/09/07/trump-kamala-harris-disney-boss-abc-news-tv-debate-bias/

Kind of dumb to prepare for more than a month and not ask your best friend for a teaser of the questions.  As if she had to ask...

And vice versa, ABC was preparing for more than a month to help Kamala all they could, as was apparent to everyone who watched, crazy not to ask her what questions will help most.

If "journalism ethics" prevent that kind of preferential treatment, then why did they fact check Trump 5 times and fact check Kamala's 25 lies not once?

Unheard of, totally unprecedented, unimaginable?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dnc-interim-chairwoman-passed-debate-questions-along-to-clinton-campaign/

There are no journalism ethics in this crowd as everyone could see.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 05:48:33 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Why Trump is right to not debate again
« Reply #1741 on: September 13, 2024, 06:04:01 AM »
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/5-reasons-trump-making-right-strategic-choice-not-debate-again

"A repeater of unverified rumor.  I'm happy to take the post down - until verified."

No worries, but as a general operating principle around here when we want to put something on our collective radar screen ("Let's keep an eye out to see if there is something to this" sort of thing) we should note it for what it is.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 06:06:31 AM by Crafty_Dog »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Mark Penn - debate appeared rigged
« Reply #1742 on: September 13, 2024, 06:16:09 AM »
https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/elections/mark-penn-calls-abc-news-launch-internal-probe-moderators-fact-checking#:~:text=Mark%20Penn,%20a%20former%20top%20adviser%20to%20Bill

We knew this was likely what the network and Harris would do.

People warned Trump for a month this would happen and what to do about it.
They were going to plop horse manure right in the incline graded path and explained how he could easily step around it or over it.

Instead, Trump went right ahead and stepped in it.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: ABC deprived voters of a fair debate
« Reply #1743 on: September 13, 2024, 06:56:10 AM »
https://www.wsj.com/opinion/abcs-bias-deprived-voters-of-a-fair-debate-2024-presidential-election-trump-harris-01410617?st=nvHWdP

as we reviewed the video and compared notes, we became concerned about the role of ABC News and what it did to our democracy. The moderators, who were supposed to be neutral referees, had decided in advance they were going to “fact check” Mr. Trump but not Ms. Harris.

She enlisted every charge ever leveled against Mr. Trump, regardless of the truth. That included, to name a few, the false claims that he favors a national abortion ban and opposes in vitro fertilization, that he called neo-Nazis in Charlottesville, Va., “very fine people,” and that he threatened a “bloodbath” if he loses the election.

Each is untrue: Mr. Trump has made clear he opposes a national abortion ban. He favors IVF and has even said the government should pay for it. He condemned the Charlottesville neo-Nazis. And he predicted a financial “bloodbath” for the auto industry if he loses and the Biden-Harris electric-vehicle mandates progress.

Had the moderators turned to Ms. Harris after these lies and said, “That has been debunked,” we might be having a totally different conversation about the debate, given how she tends to react when challenged. We would be saying she was having a good night until she couldn’t help herself and went too far. Mr. Trump would have been freed from having to spend so much time defending himself against false charges, and the country would have gotten to hear more of his plans for America.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Haitian migrants, Venezuelan migrants, news stories ABC fact checkers can't stop
« Reply #1744 on: September 13, 2024, 07:36:07 AM »
https://www.dailywire.com/news/its-not-just-springfield-this-small-town-in-pennsylvania-is-overrun-by-haitian-migrants-too

It’s Not Just Springfield, This Small Town In Pennsylvania Is Overrun By Haitian Migrants, Too
The migrant influx has led to the town doubling its population

As covered by The Daily Wire, Springfield, Ohio, has seen a massive influx of Haitian migrants since 2020, wreaking havoc on public services and causing a myriad of social problems.

But Springfield is not the only town struggling with a sudden influx of Haitian migrants.

Charleroi, a small town in Pennsylvania, has seen a 2000% increase in its immigration population in the past two years, with the majority coming from Haiti. The small town had a population of about 4,200 in 2022, before the sudden influx. Charleroi’s population has since doubled, according to Charleroi Council President Kristin Hopkins-Calcek.

Residents are noticing similar problems as Springfield citizens. For one, driving in the area has become increasingly hazardous.

“The immigrants now have been issued driver’s licenses but do not know how to read the traffic signs, causing numerous traffic accidents in the borough,” one long-time resident told The Daily Wire. “And I stress numerous, just about every week you hear about another causing injury or property damage.”

“Cars are going the wrong way and there are wrecks at least once a week,” another resident said during a City Council meeting, The Mon Valley Independent reported this week. “Three very bad accidents in less than one month. Something needs to be done before somebody is killed.”

One resident questioned how immigrants are so easily getting driver’s licenses. In Pennsylvania, immigrants with Temporary Protected Status, or TPS, are eligible to apply for a driver’s licenses.

“We need to reach out to our legislature to make changes on the driving privileges of drivers brought to this area from other countries,” she said. “It does not appear that any additional training or licensing is done before they’re given the privilege of driving a car. Something terrible is going to happen.”

Similar to Springfield, schools in the Charleroi area are over capacity and struggling to pay for resources and teachers who can teach English as a second language.

“The Charleroi School District is overwhelmed trying to teach and communicate with all the new students, with most not knowing how to speak English and taking away learning time from the rest of the kids,” the resident told The Daily Wire.

According to a CBS report from March, the district had to hire additional ELL (English language learners) teachers, an ELL coach for the teachers, and an interpreter, which cost more than $400,000. An additional $300,000 was projected to be spent for the 2025 school year.

The town is also struggling to beef up law enforcement, due to both the sudden rise in immigrant population and an issue with police retention.

Charleroi has had to increase its police budget by $73,000, compared to last year, according to a report from The Mon Valley Independent published Thursday. Residents are worried the increase will spark higher taxes, despite assurances from the council that there won’t be a larger-than-expected tax increase next year.

“We want to keep the public safe. We are having issues we have never had before,” Council President Kristin Hopkins-Calcek said. “Our population has doubled and we have our police enforcing everything that citizens have demanded over time that they enforce.”

As highlighted by The Daily Wire, the Biden-Harris administration this past June expanded temporary legal status to 300,000 Haitians, lasting until at least February 2026. This allows these migrants to remain and work in the U.S. until then, and possibly beyond. This was awarded to any Haitian in the U.S. who was here before or on June 3.

Biden also has a program that allows 30,000 migrants per month from Haiti, Cuba, Nicaragua, and Venezuela to fly directly into the U.S. for two years if they have financial sponsors.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 07:39:59 AM by DougMacG »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: September 13, 2024, 07:44:23 AM »
"Tim Walz has not said abortion in the 9th month is absolutely fine"
  - Minneapolis Startribune parroting ABC 'fact checkers'.

No, he didn't "say" it, he enacted it into law.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2024/09/who-will-fact-check-the-fact-checkers-2.php

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Cats & Dogs in Springfield
« Reply #1747 on: September 14, 2024, 06:34:21 AM »
Below is the story from the New York Post. I’m not trying to justify Trump mentioning it during the debate as fact without checking it out, however there are in fact very serious problems in that town with 20,000 Haitian migrants migrating there over the last 5 years - to a small town of less than 60,000 residents. Most of these individuals have “Temporary Protected Status” which allows them to temporarily stay in the country. The Trump administration tried to end TPS for certain individuals of certain nationalities.
A friend emails me:

==================
I’ve also included an article dated July 13, 2024 from the Springfield News-Sun, the local newspaper, which details the situation in the town.

Mark

https://nypost.com/2024/09/13/us-news/springfield-woman-who-sparked-rumors-about-haitians-eating-pets-says-she-never-meant-to-cause-harm/?

https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/thousands-of-haitian-immigrants-now-in-springfield-5-takeaways-from-our-reporting/QQFDZR6JAVCBNC6TGZGAEKE2JU/

This explains that while dogs and cats are not being eaten by these migrants, there are still very serious problems with them in such huge numbers in the town.

https://nypost.com/2024/09/13/opinion/springfield-ohio-isnt-serving-animals-on-the-menu-but-the-fact-remains-theres-still-a-mass-influx-of-haitian-migrants/?

=========================

OTOH

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2024/09/14/the-left-is-powerless-in-stopping-the-haitians-eating-pets-storyand-its-amazing-to-watch-n2644759
« Last Edit: September 14, 2024, 09:50:13 AM by Crafty_Dog »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024, Taylor swift endorsement of Kamala Harris
« Reply #1749 on: September 14, 2024, 08:50:55 PM »
Let's concede she is the biggest star in the country right now.

Still, only 6% are super fans of hers, 94% are not.

https://nypost.com/2024/09/14/us-news/more-voters-to-vote-against-harris-than-for-after-swift-endorsement-poll/

Of those 6%, 97% were not undecided (and most already on that side) .

The Swift endorsement may do more harm than good.

The David Muir endorsement didn't seem to help and he's presumed to know much more than a singer.

Going partisan hurts her brand. Michael Jordan knew that.

Late night talk show hosts all laying off staff, so sad.

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/late-night-with-seth-meyers-8g-band-losing-jobs-amidst-budget-cuts

https://www.adweek.com/convergent-tv/nbcu-cuts-back-tonight-show-jimmy-fallon/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/late-night-tv-downsizing-1235997584/

Get woke, go broke. Learn nothing from it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 10:23:01 AM by DougMacG »