Re: 2024
« Reply #1000 on: December 23, 2023, 04:45:58 AM »
Exactly so.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: December 23, 2023, 06:18:10 AM »
" and blocking conservative messaged, lack of standing if you challenge, nothing has gotten any better. "

then Trump screwing us over with 5% of his messaging by throwing gold to his enemies
with

statements like

"vermin"

"poisoning the blood"

Greg Kelly of Newsmax telling us last night that these idiot triggering outburts are all planned by Trump
I doubt it, but say they are -

that means he is more stupid then ever.

He already has 42.5 % of the voters.  He needs to get the other 7.5% +

Comments like above will not endear him to anyone who not already in the tank for him.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Tucker for VP?!?
« Reply #1002 on: December 26, 2023, 07:48:00 AM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: December 27, 2023, 06:57:14 AM »

https://dailycaller.com/2023/12/26/old-man-bad-joe-biden-age-losing-argument/?utm_source=piano&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=29912&pnespid=sLtrGD0ZOqQAhOve9j2xS5vXoRW3SIloPLmlkPR3rkBmv6CqNeDZt.L4xwWsV7DVzf0nhJJA

It's not just that we might lose the argument, to defeat Joe on age is a complete wasted opportunity.  To run against his age is to join them in denying the main threat facing the country is his policies, their policies are killing our country.

I heard DeSantis again this morning making rational, common sense arguments about what is wrong, what he will do about it, and how it will take two terms to do it in a way that can't just be undone by the next Obama/Biden to come through.  All true.

From my point of view, too bad people at least on the right aren't picking up on this.

One conservative pundit made a persuasive argument about how DeSantis should drop out and endorse Trump for the betterment of his own career; he is still young and has plenty of time.

The country is not young and doesn't have plenty of time.  It will never happen but for the greatness and even survival of the country Trump should drop out and endorse DeSantis in my view, in his own best interest or continuing his legacy of positive accomplishments.  He will not because of ego (and positive polling).

Trump had a thousand positive accomplishments, see our thread, and none of them were lasting.  This time, if there is another term, it will be even harder for him to remake the country and put wokism, Leftism in the trash heap of history.

Trump was brought down by Covid and his reaction to it.  He was leading by miles the day before that burst on the scene, then he paused his agenda and became a follower of Fauci and company, not a leader.  Meanwhile Democrats activated right under their lockdowns starting with the George Floyd fraud and the push for early voting and mail in, drop box voting.  On Trump's watch.  Who manned the bully pulpit while that happened?

With all the media hype of Nikki Haley and her momentum she still slightly trails DeSantis and that is only on the first rung of a ladder while Trump has been at the top all along. 

The only poll that matters is next November.

I keep saying it, still wrong, but the next shoe to drop is Biden.  I wish it would happen (drop out, not death) sooner rather than later - for his own party's good as well.  We will NOT look back on these Biden years fondly even if he wins reelection.

He isn't bold enough to stand up to his own corrupt family and isn't bold enough to replace Kamala on his ticket.  How is he going to be bold enough to solve what ails America, especially since he is the problem.

Even Sen. John Fetterman is starting to get it.  Suddenly he is the smartest Democrat in Washington.

We are screwed and it's our own doing.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 07:07:02 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: December 27, 2023, 06:59:20 AM »
interesting article

about how age does not matter historically,
Forgot to mention how Reagan turned that argument around in his favor with the debate

forgot to mention William Henry Harrison died after being in office for only 30 days!

I still hold it is not **age** but mental or physical fitness that is a factor.
But I agree this will not likely be a make or break issue for Biden since when it comes down to it
people are going to conclude:

Joe is not mentally fit! So I am going to vote for Trump who is mentally fit!   :wink:

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: December 27, 2023, 07:02:08 AM »
IMHO age becomes a lazy man argument -- what happens if/when Joe hands off to Newsom?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: December 27, 2023, 07:21:29 AM »
"I keep saying it, still wrong, but the next shoe to drop is Biden.  I wish it would happen (drop out, not death) sooner rather than later - for his own party's good as well.  We will NOT look back on these Biden years fondly even if he wins reelection."

agree

*we will not look at Biden yrs fondly*

but I wonder about the lib historians:

Beschloss:
https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/alex-christy/2023/09/29/beschloss-compares-biden-lincoln-fdr-while-condemning-gop-debate

Meacham:
https://www.foxnews.com/media/msnbc-jon-meacham-biden-speechwriter
[states he got fired by MSNBC though I saw him bashing Trump the other night on MSPCP]

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: December 27, 2023, 08:37:28 AM »
Sounds like MSNBC did the right thing on this one.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ
« Reply #1009 on: December 28, 2023, 04:24:54 AM »
Successful political movements build coalitions by addition, but one trait of today’s MAGA leaders is that they focus on subtraction. Donald Trump regularly trashes anyone who doesn’t support him for the GOP nomination as a “RINO,” or Republican in name only, or much worse. And now his son, Donald Trump Jr., has cast out Nikki Haley.

Trump Junior declared this week that he won’t allow the Ambassador to the United Nations in his father’s Administration to be his vice presidential nominee. “I wouldn’t have her on. I would go to great lengths to make sure that that doesn’t happen,” Trump Jr. told Newsmax, a cable news outlet. Ms. Haley is “a puppet of the establishment,” he said, “no different than academia and Harvard.”

That’s dumb, but apparently Trump Jr. doesn’t think his father will need to unite the party if his old man wins the nomination. Ms. Haley may be too smart to accept a VP nod given what happened to Mike Pence. But perhaps the Trump campaign has begun to think it has the GOP nomination in the bag and that it can’t possibly lose to President Biden. So it can afford to banish anyone who doesn’t wear a MAGA hat.

That could mean alienating millions of voters who may not like Mr. Biden’s record but have doubts about returning Mr. Trump’s chaotic governance to the Oval Office. Before Mr. Biden came along, Mr. Trump’s approval rating never rose above 50% in office, and the man from Mar-a-Lago’s popularity isn’t much better now. Ms. Haley has been gaining in the polls in New Hampshire of late, and that may explain Junior’s bile. But if Trump senior does beat her, he’ll need her voters more than she needs to be his running mate.

==================

MARC: 

Are there not large differences between Haley and Trump wrt Ukraine?

Are not her mega-donors, the mega libertarian Koch brothers, hard line libertarian open border immigration types?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ
« Reply #1010 on: December 28, 2023, 04:36:39 AM »
How Different Is Trump, Really?
When it comes to ‘norm violation,’ it’s still one man vs. whole institutions.
By Holman W. Jenkins, Jr.
Dec. 26, 2023 4:51 pm ET

You might not want Donald Trump for president, but you probably don’t want Liz Cheney either, judging by a recent piece in this newspaper.

Checks and balances, she maintains, won’t work to contain Mr. Trump because he might have “allies” in Congress.

Uh huh. The need of a president to get voters to send him allies in Congress is a check and balance.

Nor will courts constrain Mr. Trump because he will dismiss their rulings apparently in much the way Americans dismiss the acquittal of O.J. Simpson. But saying and doing are different things. A president can disagree all he wants with a ruling. Ms. Cheney, in our federal system of convoluted and dispersed powers, greatly exaggerates a president’s ability to proceed illegally without destruction raining down on his head both personally and politically.

The founders didn’t rely on the “responsible” persons Ms. Cheney cites by way of listing Republican colleagues who fail the responsible-person test. The founders relied on contending branches of government, competition, self-interest, freedom of speech and assembly.

Anyone can comfortably predict President Trump will commit “illegal or unconstitutional acts” because all presidents do and spend all day in court defending themselves. Example: Joe Biden’s cynical efforts to persuade young voters that he can erase their student debts.

In the New York Times Matthew Schmitz, founder of Compact magazine, points out that Mr. Trump, in practice and deed, actually combines colorful rhetoric with policies notable mainly for their “moderation” and “pragmatism.”

Paul Poast, an international-relations expert at the University of Chicago, points out also in the Times that Mr. Trump had become a “NATO fan” once he could take credit for foreign members increasing their spending.

“Insurrection” is not the word recommended by the events of Jan. 6; it’s only the word the narrative framers find most delicious.

Another reality: Any Democrat can far more freely presume on bureaucratic and institutional support for off-color acts than a President Trump could. Hillary Clinton could rely on the media, FBI and Justice Department to traffic in her made-up collusion evidence. Mr. Biden could rely on them to create a smoke screen blaming Russia and then minimize an unavoidable investigation into his son’s publicly flaunted activities.

Rudy Giuliani was slapped with a $148 million court judgment for demeaning two Georgia poll workers. No court will be doing the same for those soiled by fabricated collusion allegations.

The prosecution of enemies? Oh never mind. But even with the advantages Democrats enjoy, whistleblowers emerge, media outlets break ranks, an infinity of actors discover a personal opportunity in thwarting a president. Then the obstreperous and unpredictable voters have their say.

Hard to unsmell, though, is a growing odor of self-fulfilling prophecy in the Trump-as-dictator jeremiads. He looks increasingly like he might win. If his presidency isn’t a disaster, that would be a disaster, personally and professionally, for the Jeremiahs, who may hope to thwart him in advance by inciting civil disorder and extraconstitutional sabotage.

Ms. Cheney misses what should be her real point. A vote for Mr. Trump in the GOP primary is a vote to continue the form of political warfare Ms. Cheney now exemplifies, the wild assertion, the conspiracy mongering.

Four years ago Mr. Biden could have endorsed the Durham investigation into his own party’s collusion dirty trick, though you might as well expect an act of transformative leadership from your cat.

He at least wisely kept a distance from collusion until he needed his own accusations of Russian interference to distract from his son’s laptop. Mr. Biden unwisely also followed Mrs. Clinton in the malpractice of denigrating Mr. Trump’s 74 million voters, painting all opposition as white supremacy.

Which brings us to the crowning irony. No shortage of Republicans—including a likely majority in elective office—secretly crave to see Mr. Trump in the rearview mirror. You know who doesn’t? As his polls crumble, Mr. Biden’s only hope of re-election is having Mr. Trump as his opponent. Now Mr. Biden’s panic meets Ms. Cheney’s panic: Mr. Trump will win and make a mockery of her hair-on-fire predictions.

A very large caliper capable of very fine measurements has been needed since the Trump advent to say who is the bigger crumbum in our politics: Mr. Trump or some of his enemies—Mrs. Clinton, Adam Schiff, the intelligence manipulators James Clapper and John Brennan, the dictatorship shouters.

What the country really needs is a race between a Democrat and Republican who, whatever their differences, realize the urgency of moving our politics away from the deliberately false, the hysterical, the conspiracy-mongering in favor of a boring discussion of interests and policies.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: WSJ, Holman Jenkins
« Reply #1011 on: December 28, 2023, 05:57:45 AM »
How Different Is Trump, Really?
When it comes to ‘norm violation,’ it’s still one man vs. whole institutions.
By Holman W. Jenkins, Jr.
Dec. 26, 2023 4:51 pm ET

"Mr. Trump, in practice and deed, actually combines colorful rhetoric with policies notable mainly for their “moderation” and “pragmatism.” "

To a recent WSJ Kim Strassel post I was going say we are lucky to have someone like her writing  in mainstream media and this piece also provides an excellent perspective of the current times.  Very VDH like in connecting the dots and calling out the fallacies and hypocrisies.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 06:38:34 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Liz now known for "hell has no fury like a woman scorned"
« Reply #1012 on: December 28, 2023, 07:45:08 AM »
possible the word fury comes from "furies" in English otherwise the word is Erinyees:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Furies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erinyes

What I found interesting is Shakespeare did NOT invent this general phrase.  I don't know if since he is a white man and lifted this today he could keep his professorship of English at an Ivy league school:

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/hell-has-no-fury-like-a-woman-scorned.html

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Liz now known for "hell has no fury like a woman scorned"
« Reply #1013 on: December 28, 2023, 08:19:54 AM »
Previously there was reference to Trump's "colorful rhetoric" and pragmatic policies.  Over the top rhetoric allowed Trump to draw attention to himself in a way other Republicans can't. It helped him and it hurt him. The way he went after John McCain was ruthless, came back to bite him.  A man who did not serve his country attacked a man who did serve and was held and tortured by the enemy.  Blame him for being shot down in war? And now we have socialized medicine, perhaps impossible to undo, partly Trump's doing.

The way he went after Bush and Cheney was ruthless, came back to bite him.  It was not colorful rhetoric.

Most conservatives liked Dick Cheney. The Cheney Lieberman debate was probably the best debate in modern times. The Trump Biden debate was the worst.

Dick Cheney understood and articulated peace through strength. Donald Trump succeeded with deterrence through strength - and other qualities like being unpredictable.

I don't think Liz Cheney takes this whole thing personally because of attacks on her, it's because of the attacks on her father. I even wonder if her father would want her to take this fight to this level.  She elevates herself with people who will never support her, Nancy Pelosi for example and the mainstream media. She distances herself from the current Republican Party which could have been her future. She was a very high-ranking House member, the highest of any Republican woman at the time this all blew up.

Back to Trump  but it applies to both of them, in tennis we call these unforced errors.  We call almost every error an unforced error. You win by having fewer of them, all other things equal.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 08:54:03 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Joe will win
« Reply #1017 on: December 29, 2023, 05:41:28 AM »

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/biden-2024-election-polls-strong-rcna130507

A slightly one sided analysis (understatement) with a couple of holes in it.

The 2022 stuff is true.  The abortion results are true, so far, but Trump was the least restrictive Republican on abortion.

His analysis of the cases against Trump is BS.

He completely ignores polls showing Biden losing all swing states, and ignores that central point, Biden is polling worse than Democrats in general, worse than Democrats in 2022 and worse than Biden himself in 2020, far worse, now that we know him and know the results of his policies.  Author doesn't say how you undo that because he admits his bias in the byline, Democrat Strategist.

The danger for Republicans is that the Trump surge coincides with Trump silence.  And the dirrysecrey of 2020 is that record vote for Biden was really record vote against Trump.  He does big rallies in front of super friendly crowds and people who want to can pull up video but he skipped all the debates and doesn't do any media interviews.

When he does speak we hear things like vermin and poisoning the blood.  A little like Biden, when he gets back into it he is always capable of stepping in it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 07:14:35 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Lincoln did not start the Civil War because of slavery
« Reply #1018 on: December 29, 2023, 07:29:39 AM »
" When he does speak we hear things like vermin and poisoning the blood.  A little like Biden, when he gets back into it he is always capable of stepping in it. "

and the MSM ignore EVERYTHING else and run with his tweets......

and he does not, cannot control this.....

Now everyone is dumping on Nikki due to the cause of the Civil War answer.
She was thinking too much and instead of simply saying slavery was the core reason she was trying , I guess, to be easy on Southern voters by confounding it with State's rights.

Lincoln clearly stated he started the Civil to save the Union not for emancipation which did not occur till after Gettysburg.

I have read and would doubt most Northerners joined or were conscripted in the war did so to free Blacks but to fight the Confederates who were called *Rebels* NOT SLAVE OWNERS.

Of course I still hold it was always about slavery though in the beginning that was not the battle cry.  The reason the South seceded was of course economic and the economic power was based on slavery, cotton,
and otherwise.  So I and most everyone else would say slavery was the reason for the Civil War.

She over thought it and thus flubbed one question.
The MSM media runs with this, ignores everything else and tells Blacks . SEE WE TOLD YOU REPUBLICANS ARE RACISTS WHO WANT TO PUT YOU BACK IN CHAINS.

Gotta keep the Black vote in line...........

At least some Blacks are seeing through the grift, con or propaganda.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: December 29, 2023, 07:35:38 AM »

"I still hold it was always about slavery"

As openly and clearly stated by the Acts of Secession by the various southern states.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
succession
« Reply #1020 on: December 29, 2023, 07:52:04 AM »
glancing over the succession proclamations of each state I only see Texas actually used the word slavery

Missouri and Kentucky were border states but apparently they did have succession bills from groups not authorized by their states.

I remember a poster on the Gilder board yrs ago named Gene who was from NC.
He mentioned the idea it was about state's rights and less about slavery.

I am just trying to figure out what Nikki was thinking and why she was hedging.  Had to be an attempt not to insult Southerners.

At least that is all I can think of.

Or perhaps she launched her twisted answer to try to make it about government control?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: December 29, 2023, 07:55:11 AM »
"glancing over the succession proclamations of each state I only see Texas actually used the word slavery"

Not doubting you, but not my understanding at all.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: December 29, 2023, 08:07:18 AM »
well I am certainly no expert but this is what I found:

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/primary-sources/secession-acts-thirteen-confederate-states

One way or the other slavery was the core reason for Civil War, of course.
Again I am just trying to figure out what Nikki was thinking.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: December 29, 2023, 02:51:46 PM »
Well, that certainly supports what you say, but OTOH I know I have read official ringing declarations about Slavery being the reason.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: December 30, 2023, 05:47:01 AM »
In a northern school I was taught the Civil War was fought over slavery.

Sometime in young adulthood somebody told me that's all wrong, look into it, it was all about other issues economic issues, state's rights, etc.

But that of course would be states' rights as it pertains to slavery.

Looking at it a little more objectively, the north won, the South lost, and slaves were freed.

Isn't that about right?

The question sounds like a plant. Somebody knew she would have trouble with it, a southerner in the North?

The what was she thinking question is interesting. Was she talking about the Revolutionary war? Was she trying to appease white South Carolina voters while she was in New hampshire? Did she lose focus or was that her answer?

If she thought the answer needed to be nuanced, she could have diverted, I'm not here to talk about the 1860s I'm here to talk about changing the course of the country today.

But no. It was a gaffe, a big one.

If it was a legitimate states rights issue then it was legitimate in their time to think of slaves as farm animals? Not something you want to think or speak of today. Today we regulate the treatment of farm animals more so than they did of slaves.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 08:53:23 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
here we go again
« Reply #1025 on: December 30, 2023, 09:28:52 AM »
another failing Trump backed state party head:

the left jumping all over this:

https://dnyuz.com/2023/12/30/mutiny-erupts-in-a-michigan-g-o-p-overtaken-by-chaos/

T

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Maine SoS political activist
« Reply #1026 on: December 31, 2023, 04:48:23 PM »
https://pjmedia.com/benbartee/2023/12/31/watch-maine-secretary-of-state-cries-about-death-threats-n4925124

Claims

RULE OF LAW
FOLLOWING THE CONSTITUTION
RULE OF LAW

Sounds good for MSNBC but everyone else knows that is hogwash.
Typical Dem
shyster the law then hide behind he/she is defending it.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024, vox predicts Trump win, Republicans take the Senate
« Reply #1027 on: January 02, 2024, 08:13:27 AM »
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2024/1/1/24011179/2024-predictions-trump-politics-ohtani-oppenheimer-elections

24 predictions for 2024. Vox is a Liberal site but these predictions do not seem biased. Vox predicts Trump win, Republicans take the Senate.  They also predict Democrats take the house narrowly. It would be nice if Republicans could take all three IMHO.

I didn't read through the detail but a Trump win with 55% certainty means that the outcomes of these legal cases are not going to be valid or convincing enough to affect Trump supporters.

They are mostly predicting things that are already in motion. Also coming in 2024 are some major unexpecteds.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
How can we lose Congress?
« Reply #1028 on: January 02, 2024, 12:30:53 PM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024: Biden Reelection campaign, Jared Berstein, Chief "Economist"
« Reply #1029 on: January 03, 2024, 05:52:01 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/video/6344097448112

I can't seem to pull up a transcript of this to post and critique, Biden's Chair of the Council of Economic Advisors.  It seemed like the strongest case I've seen for promoting more of the same when a President has a 33% approval rate.

More on Jared Berstein here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rqclkA3ha8
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Bernstein
Proponent of Modern Monetary Theory, (Deficits don't matter)
Degrees in Music and Social Work.
No more economic training than anyone here.  How do they get off calling him an economist?

I bring back my accusation of Barack Obama, never read a book about economics that wasn't about tearing down the free enterprise system.

Americans are wrong.  Everything is fine.  Give us 4 more years.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
The 2024 Dem Coup, Michelle Obama or Gavin Newsom, after the primaries are over
« Reply #1030 on: January 03, 2024, 06:48:22 AM »
Perter Navarro occasionally gets it right.  This may not happen but it is most certainly the Democrats' strategists 2024 dream.  And he's right.  Republicans should be prepared for it, warn of it and aim at it.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2024/jan/2/coming-joe-biden-coup-and-michelle-obama-gavin-new/

Coming Joe Biden coup and the Michelle Obama-Gavin Newsom election gambit
Elite Democrats will reject the president, and Republicans must be prepared

(Doug summarizing)  They avoid the race to the Left primary fight and just ride in the general election with their hero, if it's Michelle.  Not explained is how they step over unpopular Kamala to get there.  Also unspoken is why Michelle would want to do it.  She has everything now.  Even Barack would much rather call the shots from 10 blocks away, or wherever he is, than be the political face and target one more time.

Newsom wants the job but is positioned even worse than Joe politically, IMHO.  He is the face of everything wrong in California.  Joe was the face of centrism and pragmatism in the Senate (until he got this job).

Again, how does a white man, Governor, step over a black woman, Vice President, without a fight, without a primary, without a vote except in the back rooms of the convention and how does that play?

Like Dean Phillips, one of the richest members in Congress who can't buy a headline, how do you win when Joe couldn't if your campaign slogan is "more of the same"?  Put "Younger and Better Looking" on the bumper sticker?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: January 03, 2024, 07:10:01 AM »
Worth remembering is that Navarro also made one of the most cogent arguments for election fraud in the aftermath of the 2020 election.  In my opinion, he is making a VERY prescient point here. 

===========

https://dailycaller.com/2024/01/02/trump-fox-news-iowa-cnn-debate/?utm_source=piano&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=29912&pnespid=s_JsCyFANrMay6XFomW.HZLWuQK_C5d9LLXsyudqsBxmDrzo00nzQrolmqDavLbb8bdeFwHg

=====================

https://washingtontimes-dc.newsmemory.com/?token=fa0b1df5a98444eee5677945f4b93f7e_659577e1_6d25b5f&selDate=20240103
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 07:38:48 AM by Crafty_Dog »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Financial times, trends of 2024
« Reply #1032 on: January 04, 2024, 07:31:09 AM »
https://www.ft.com/content/9edcf793-aaf7-42e2-97d0-dd58e9fab8ea?segmentId=b385c2ad-87ed-d8ff-aaec-0f8435cd42d9

Ruchir Sharma: top 10 trends for 2024
Europe’s economy will be more resilient than the US, the dollar will weaken and investors will demand a premium on long-term debt

Ruchir Sharma: top 10 trends for 2024 on x (opens in a new window)

The year gone by played out as if the pandemic had never happened. The widely anticipated global recession never came. Markets surged. Disinflation was the buzzword. The post-pandemic world unexpectedly resembled 2019 — the year before the coronavirus supposedly changed our lives forever.

Yet in the end, 2023 was a reminder that most years turn out to be a mix of the surprising and the predictable. Not all the purely contrarian bets would have paid off. Europe’s economy fell farther behind the US. American mega cap tech stocks again led the charge.

With that in mind, my top 10 predictions for 2024 focus on how current trends will evolve. The price of money, inflation and big tech will remain at the heart of the global conversation, though not in quite the same ways. Meanwhile, politics will command centre stage for a simple reason: the world has never seen a bigger year for elections.
1. Elections in the world’s biggest democracies, including India, shown
Democracy in overdrive

Elections are scheduled to occur in more than 30 democracies including the three largest — the US, India and Indonesia. In all, 46 per cent of the global population will have an opportunity to vote, the largest share since 1800 when such records first began, says Deutsche Bank research. And voters will bring their dissatisfaction with them.

The recent rise of angry populists reflects a deeper trend — distrust of incumbents. In the 50 most populated democracies, seated politicians won re-election 70 per cent of the time in the late 2000s; now they win 30 per cent of the time. Leaders of India and Indonesia buck this trend but US president Joe Biden exemplifies it.

Incumbents used to enjoy the obvious advantage of high office and high visibility, but that is no longer a guarantee of popularity. Over the past 30 years, US presidents have seen their approval ratings wither away in their first terms, to lower and lower levels. At just 38 per cent, Biden’s approval rating is at a record low for this stage of a presidency. And many of his developed world peers are no more popular. These trends foretell upheaval in the roster of world leaders.
2. Joe Biden with images reflecting various national bonds, from euros and yen to gilts and treasuries
Bond vigilantes versus politicians

The surreal calm of 2023 gave way to mild euphoria in the closing weeks of the year as inflation fell faster than expected, creating hopes that interest rates will keep falling. This overlooks one key trend.

In a campaign season political leaders are much more likely to raise than cut spending, which means mounting deficits. In the US, Biden spending programmes have already pushed the deficit up to 6 per cent of GDP, double its long-term trend and five times the average for developed economies.

The key issue is the “term premium”, or the added pay-off bond investors demand for the risk of holding long-term debt. In the 2010s, with inflation low and central banks buying bonds by the billions, that risk disappeared. Only now, debts and deficits are much larger than before the pandemic, inflation has not fully retreated, and central banks are no longer big bond buyers. Even if inflation fades further, investors probably will demand something extra to keep absorbing the huge supply of government bonds. That means interest rates, long-term rates in particular, will not fall anywhere near as much as they did in previous disinflation cycles.
3. Immigrants trekking through Mexico aiming for the border, a man rescued from a ship in the Mediterranean and barbed wire fences near Calais
Backlash against immigration

For many reasons — from labour market shortages in the western world to war in Ukraine — immigration has exploded, up since 2019 by 20 per cent in Canada, near 35 per cent in the US and near 45 per cent in the UK.

These flows are a huge plus to economies facing worker shortages, even if they are unpopular. Dutch rightwing populist Geert Wilders came first in the national ballot last year on a migrant-bashing platform. Migrants also became a campaign issue in Poland, which has become less welcoming of new waves of refugees — despite a particularly dire need. Poland’s working age population growth rate had turned negative, before the influx of immigrants turned it around.

The next hotspot is the US, the largest nation with surging immigration and a 2024 election. Though the immigrants are reducing wage pressure, helping to lower inflation, the blowback is already loud and clear, led by Donald Trump. Its main target is illegal immigrants, who outnumbered legal immigrants by 2mn to 1.6mn in 2023. Whoever wins the election, the backlash is likely to spill over and slow the flow of immigrants — and the benefits they bring.
4. US houses and the New York Stock Exchange
The no-bust cycle

Interest rates rose so sharply, it seemed almost certain that indebted businesses would fail quickly, consumers would hunker down immediately, markets would tank, recession would strike, and the world would face a classic bust in 2023.

But the economy, at least in the US, proved remarkably resilient. One reason: Americans are locked into lower rates. Investment grade companies have been selling bonds with longer terms, which now average 12 years, so the burden of recent rate hikes has yet to strike. US homeowners still pay an average mortgage rate of 3.75 per cent — roughly half the rate on new mortgages.

Another: during the 2010s action shifted from public to private financial markets, where there are signs of weakening, including slower flows to private funds and fewer sales of PE-owned companies. But private firms don’t have to report returns as frequently as public funds do, so the weakness won’t be fully visible for a while.

The air could still come out slowly of both the economy and the markets. In a way that’s already happening, as seen in the public markets. The S&P 500 has not made a new high in two years, and is now 20 per cent above its 150-year trend, down from 45 per cent in late 2021. With borrowing costs still relatively high, the economy is likely to slide downward as well, though possibly avoiding the classic bust.
5. German shoppers, and a gas installation in Lithuania
European resilience

In 2023, the US economy grew at 2.5 per cent, five times faster than Europe, widening a gap that has been growing for years if not decades. Europe can seem hopeless, and trashing its economic prospects rarely inspires much pushback.

But against a backdrop of zero expectations, even small changes for the better can rekindle animal spirits and Japan demonstrated that point last year. Europe could do the same this year. As the Ukraine war-related energy crunch eases, inflation has collapsed from over 10 per cent to 2.5 per cent. Real wages were falling, now they are growing at a pace of 3 per cent, the fastest in three decades, giving consumers a lot of spending power.

Europeans were hit harder by recent rate hikes than Americans because they have more mortgages and other long-term loans with floating rates. Now, having absorbed much of the pain of tighter money, Europe faces less pain down the road than the US does. Also, the trillions amassed by consumers during the pandemic are largely spent in the US, but continue to grow in Europe. Excess household savings currently amount to 14 per cent of annual incomes, up from 11 per cent two years ago, according to JPMorgan.

The markets are taking notice. Excluding the mega cap stocks, which juiced US returns, the average stock in Europe outperformed the mighty US market in 2023. And the signs above point to a wider comeback in 2024.
6. Xi Jinping, some Chinese banknotes and the skyline in Beijing
China fading

Many China watchers continue to parrot the Beijing party line, that growth is purring along at 5 per cent — perhaps double its real potential. Asked why Beijing is not taking more aggressive steps to rescue a faltering economy, the answer from Chinese policymakers is, well, the official growth rate is fine, why take more action?

Behind this absurdity are global bragging rights. President Xi Jinping aims for China to overtake the US as the world’s dominant economy, and his officials closely track its progress in nominal dollar terms — not in PPP terms, which is commonly used among western academics. In nominal terms, China’s GDP is now 66 per cent of US GDP, down from 76 per cent in 2021. Aggressive stimulus could weaken the renminbi, further shrinking the economy in dollar terms — and leaving the paramount leader farther from his goal. Better to keep up the charade, and pretend China is not fading.

Global investors are looking past this nonsense, and will continue to reduce their exposure to China. Net foreign direct investment into the country has just turned negative for the first time. Beijing can avoid a crisis with this extend-and-pretend game, but that won’t keep its economy and markets from losing share to its peers.
7. A worker inspects a smartphone component at a Realme factory in Noida, India, a Polish construction site and a Mexican 10 peso coin
Emerging outside China

Not so long ago, many smaller emerging economies thrived by selling raw materials to the largest one, and grew in lockstep with China. No longer. The link has broken. Now a fading China is more of an opportunity than a challenge for the rest of the emerging world.

China until recently was drawing more than 10 per cent of global foreign direct investment, and as those flows reversed, the big gainers were rival emerging countries, led by Vietnam, India, Indonesia, Poland and above all Mexico, which has seen its share more than double to 4.2 per cent.

Investors are moving to countries where they can trust the economic authorities. During the pandemic, emerging world governments refrained from borrowing too heavily. Central banks avoided large bond purchases, and moved more quickly than developed world peers to raise rates when inflation returned. Even Turkey and Argentina, once emblems of irresponsibility, have embraced policy orthodoxy.

At the start of 2023, many observers feared that rising rates would rekindle the instability of the 1990s, when dozens of emerging nations were defaulting each year. What happened? Two minor emerging markets (Ghana and Ethiopia) and not a single major one defaulted in the course of the year. Emerging nations are surprising for their resilience, not their fragility, and the world is likely to start taking notice in the coming year.
8. A $100 bill and the US Treasury
Dollar decline

Late in 2022, the value of the dollar hit a two-decade high against other major currencies and has since drifted downward. History suggests that dollar down-cycles last around seven years. And signs are the decline could accelerate. Even now, the dollar remains overvalued against every major currency.

Most economists are still confident that the dollar won’t fall much because there is no alternative and investors will never tire of buying US debt. Too confident. At over 10 per cent of GDP, the US twin deficit — including the government budget and the current account — is more than twice the average for other countries. Since 2000 US net debts to the rest of the world have more than quadrupled to 66 per cent of GDP — while on average other developed countries were reducing their debt load and emerging as net creditors.

The search for alternatives is on. Foreign central banks are moving reserves to rival currencies, and buying gold at a record pace. The United Arab Emirates recently joined Russia and other oil producers who accept payment in currencies other than the dollar. And if America’s rising debt burden slows its economy faster than expected — a real possibility — the dollar faces a double-barrelled threat in 2024.
9. An Nvidia chip, a Tesla badge and the frontage of an Apple store
Splintering the Magnificent Seven

In 2023 the big US tech stocks boomed anew on the widespread assumption that they are the only firms rich enough to capitalise on the next big thing, artificial intelligence. Yet only three of the seven are major players in AI: Microsoft, Alphabet and Nvidia. Only one, Nvidia, is making real money on AI. The rest, blessed by association with the buzzword du jour, saw their stock market value rise well in excess of their earnings growth.

This is a familiar syndrome: a new innovation excites investors, who pour money into any company loosely related to that innovation, until they realise that most aren’t going to make money on it anytime soon. This happened in the dotcom era, and it is happening now. Already expectations for 2024 earnings by the big seven are fracturing: rising rapidly for Nvidia, barely at all for Apple, and shrinking for Tesla.

AI mania is unfolding against an unusual backdrop, in that the rest of the tech sector is in a mini recession. Venture capital funding has fallen sharply. Led by Amazon, Alphabet and Microsoft, more than 1,100 technology firms laid off workers last year; the net loss of 70,000 jobs made tech the only sector, outside motion pictures, to downsize in 2023. A further culling, not a boom, is more likely in 2024.
10. Joaquin Phoenix as Napoleon, and an AMC cinema
Hollywood’s Napoleon complex

No doubt the pandemic left many people leery of indoor spaces, but for the most part bars, restaurants and other entertainments are packed again. Movie theatres, however, are not. Ticket sales have yet to top 900mn in the US domestic market, down from 1.2bn in 2019 and nearly 1.6bn at the peak in 2002.

Hollywood’s problems are well known, including the challenges from streaming services and other online media, and the limits of its blockbuster action film formula. Underplayed in all this is a growing tendency to filter scripts through a progressive lens, increasing their appeal to the liberal 30 per cent of the population, at the risk of alienating the rest. One can hear the axes grinding in many new releases but perhaps most crudely in Napoleon, a politicised parody of one of history’s most complex figures.

In Ridley Scott’s telling, the emperor was neither grand military strategist, nor champion of republican revolution, nor civil service and education reformer — just a cranky little murderer. The film ends with a scroll of battlefield death tolls. Asked whether he had seen it, a French-born conservative friend told me “of course not”. He knew Hollywood would render Napoleon to fit its own political worldview. That may draw applause from the Academy — it won’t help revive box office revenues.

The writer is chair of Rockefeller International and an FT columnist

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Financial times, trends of 2024
« Reply #1034 on: January 04, 2024, 10:50:23 PM »
https://www.ft.com/content/9edcf793-aaf7-42e2-97d0-dd58e9fab8ea?segmentId=b385c2ad-87ed-d8ff-aaec-0f8435cd42d9

Ruchir Sharma: top 10 trends for 2024
Europe’s economy will be more resilient than the US, the dollar will weaken and investors will demand a premium on long-term debt

Interesting piece, Doug. I found the China info worth mulling, particularly in view of China’s expansionist posture.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: January 05, 2024, 07:27:11 AM »
Again, this thread is for the American 2024 election.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: January 05, 2024, 10:28:47 PM »
I wonder if the surprise Dem nomination will be Raskin......

He has been on every show campaigning for the President(cy)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: January 06, 2024, 02:10:01 AM »
Hasn't he been fighting cancer?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: January 06, 2024, 09:14:01 AM »
True

I am not clear if he is in a temporary remission or in a situation with good prognosis and maybe cured
although usually the wait is ~  5 yrs to know for sure.

When has health stopped a Democrat

Biden Feinstein Fetterman Ginsberg etc.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ
« Reply #1039 on: January 06, 2024, 09:16:42 AM »

Trump Summons the Furies in Iowa
The former president knows his enemies’ lunacy makes his fans love him. So he encourages those enemies, who may end up re-electing him.
By Barton Swaim

Jan. 5, 2024 1:57 pm ET

Wonder Land: Since the Trump indictments have 'sucked out all the oxygen' from the primaries, Ron DeSantis was right to remind Iowa and New Hampshire voters that to get the job done requires a two term presidency. Images: AFP/Getty Images/AP/Reuters Composite: Mark Kelly
Coralville, Iowa

It was around 1 p.m., and he was scheduled to speak at 6. I had just arrived and was hoping to get a bite before the event. But already some 200 people waited outside the Hyatt convention center in this Iowa City suburb. I feared the line would grow fast, and the campaign had stopped issuing media passes—claiming, credibly as it turned out, a lack of space. I got in line and spent the next several hours talking with Iowans who want to give Donald Trump a second term.

Whether they’ll all caucus for Mr. Trump on Jan. 15 is another question. Some significant minority of the people I spoke with can fairly be called fans of the former president who aren’t otherwise politically engaged. Several said they had rarely or never caucused before. None, however, said they’ll likely support some other candidate if Mr. Trump is on the ballot. People who come to hear Mr. Trump aren’t there to assess him but to see their guy and commune with each other.

The first thing you notice at a Trump rally is the paraphernalia. Four out of five people are wearing some Trump-themed item: red MAGA hats, hoodies and sweatshirts bearing the words “Trump vs. Everybody” and “We the People ARE PISSED,” hats answering “Yes, I’m a Trump girl. Get over it,” beanies with the number 47. In Coralville, these items could be purchased at stands manned by industrious entrepreneurs hoping to make a few bucks off a form of fandom as intense as you might find at a Taylor Swift concert.

By 3:30 the line stretched around the far end of the hotel and into an adjacent parking garage—I would guess 5,000 people. Clipboard-wielding campaign volunteers collected phone numbers; jolly peddlers hawked Trump-themed scarves and gloves; local TV reporters queried fans on their enthusiasm.

I happened to meet eyes with a lithe woman in her 70s, her mostly red attire festooned with Trump buttons. “How many of these haff you been to?” she asked in what sounded like a Swiss German accent. “Ziss is my 42nd!” On the bill of her MAGA hat were embroidered the words “Happy days are here again.”

Mr. Trump frequently derides his primary opponents, especially Nikki Haley and Ron DeSantis, and his crowds obligingly boo and gesture thumbs-down. But many people at Trump rallies speak favorably about Mr. DeSantis (less so Ms. Haley). What keeps most of them aligned with Mr. Trump is the left’s never-ending campaign to jail, disqualify or otherwise destroy him.

I spoke to many people who regarded the four criminal indictments of Mr. Trump as proof that he is the man the left fears most. Jerry Donavan, a machinist from Des Moines, answered my question about the indictments with a question of his own: Why did I think the left wanted so badly to destroy Mr. Trump? When I failed to answer, he said, “Exactly.” He conceded that Mr. Trump is “kind of a bad guy, kind of an a—hole, really,“ but insisted the indictments only prove his point and said he’d “vote for Trump if he was on death row.”

The Democratic and media resistance, for its part, appears readier even than in 2016 to count Mr. Trump a would-be dictator rather than a legitimate political figure. An edition of the Atlantic was given to the question of Mr. Trump’s dictatorial propensities. In the Washington Post Robert Kagan wrote a 6,000-word essay contending that a second-term Mr. Trump won’t be checked by countervailing institutions and so will become America’s first dictator.

The Never Trump alarmists never bother to acknowledge the left’s antidemocratic and extraconstitutional behavior in recent years—the attempt to get rid of a president by falsely claiming he’d conspired with Russia; proposals to pack the Supreme Court and add states to the union merely to add Senate seats; the campaign to smear Brett Kavanaugh; the false claim by 51 former intelligence officials that Hunter Biden’s laptop was Russian disinformation; the decisions to bar Mr. Trump from the Colorado and Maine ballots on grounds that he is guilty of a crime with which he hasn’t been charged.

(MARC:  To this list I would add the Alinskyite determination to sever the chain of custody of votes wherever and whenever possible!!!)

This newspaper’s Holman Jenkins has surmised that these self-dramatizing resistors are consciously justifying their own further unconstitutional and undemocratic behavior if Mr. Trump wins a second term. There is, in addition, the implausibility of their putative worry—that a man who shows so little interest in policy and ideology, and whose attention span is almost nonexistent, could somehow achieve despotic powers. It’s an idea so dumb, to paraphrase George Orwell, that only an intellectual could believe it.

True, Mr. Trump has always delighted in sounding like a strongman. Plainly he admires autocrats, but he admires them for their media savvy and panache rather than their accomplishments and wouldn’t know how to arrogate new powers to himself if he wanted to. His enemies can be counted on not to notice that distinction.

Give the Never Trumpers this much: Lately Mr. Trump has turned up the volume on his strongman bombast. His campaign speeches often include the tag line “I am your retribution.” In September he claimed that Gen. Mark Milley, who reportedly conferred with Chinese officials about Mr. Trump’s erratic behavior after the 2020 election, behaved so egregiously “that, in times gone by, the punishment would have been DEATH!” He has talked of revoking broadcast licenses of news outlets he dislikes.

In an interview last month, Sean Hannity all but begged Mr. Trump to disavow any dictatorial aims. “Under no circumstances—you are promising America tonight you would never abuse power as retribution against anybody,” Mr. Hannity prompted. Mr. Trump: “Except for day one.” Briefly flummoxed, Mr. Hannity asked him to clarify. Mr. Trump: “I want to close the border, and I want to drill, drill, drill.”

Advertisement - Scroll to Continue

This sort of talk, together with the left’s declared intention to treat Mr. Trump as an insurrectionist if he wins, raises the problem of personnel in a second Trump administration. Few accomplished people in law and national security will want to risk their careers and reputations by stepping into that war zone. That leaves rabble-rousing loyalists like Kash Patel, briefly deputy to the acting director of national intelligence under Mr. Trump. In a December interview, Mr. Patel remarked that in a second Trump term “we will go out and find the conspirators not just in government, but in the media.” The Trump campaign distanced itself from Mr. Patel’s remark.

But would Mr. Patel, to cite one example, find a top cabinet spot in a second Trump presidency? William Barr, who served as attorney general during the Trump administration, recalls in his memoir that the president repeatedly said he wanted to make Mr. Patel deputy director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation—a promotion averted with some effort by Mr. Barr and others in the Justice Department.

The fans I spoke with in Coralville didn’t seem interested in getting even with Mr. Trump’s foes, but the theme of retribution made more than one onstage appearance. A young local pastor, Joel Tenney, stated confidently that “when Donald Trump becomes the 47th president of the United States, there will be retribution against all those who have promoted evil in this country.” This conspicuously creepy line drew mild applause and suggested a tendency among people in Mr. Trump’s outer orbit to sound his themes and attract his attention.

Forty-two minutes later the former president appeared. He faced the crowd, pointing here and there, giving the thumbs-up sign and mouthing “thank you” for a strange 2½ minutes as Lee Greenwood blasted from the loudspeakers. “And I’m proud to be an American, / Where at least I know I’m free.”

Mr. Trump’s campaign speeches are much like they were in 2016. He shifts between teleprompter-dependent lines on policies and accomplishments, and wild, unpredictable riffs on the corruption and stupidity of his opponents. In ’16 the riffs were at least entertaining—Jeb Bush was a “very nice person” but “low energy”; Ted Cruz’s father was in on JFK’s assassination.

Eight years later, he’s still the showman but less funny. The chief component of Mr. Trump’s speeches in 2023-24 is resentment at other Republicans’ disloyalty. Mr. DeSantis is the main target. First Mr. Trump read from the teleprompter the sort of campaign-ad talking point that didn’t sound like a normal English sentence: “DeSanctis [sic] spent his entire political career vindictively trying to kill the ethanol industry, voting again and again to devastate Iowa families by eliminating the billions and billions of dollars generated each year from ethanol and wiping out about 48,000 jobs.”

Then began a repetitive four-minute riff—I’ve heard it at previous rallies—in which he dwelt on Mr. DeSantis’s answer about whether he would run for president by saying, as Mr. Trump remembers it, “No comment.” Here’s a compressed rendition:

“You know who he loved? You know who he loved? Fauci! He loved me, too, I got him elected. He loved me, too, ’cause I got him elected, he loved me. And yeah, I did. Four years later they said, ‘Will you vote, or will you run against President Trump?’ And he said, ‘I have no comment.’ I said, ‘No comment? You know what that means. No comment means he’s gonna run!’ And I said, ‘This guy’s gonna run.’ . . . And a lot of my people said ‘Sir, don’t attack him, he’s a Republican.’ I said, ‘No thanks, I don’t need your advice.’ ”

A later riff, which I’ll spare you, criticized Ms. Haley for the same sin: running.

Most candidates avoid mentioning important endorsements of their opponents, but Mr. Trump spent another few minutes castigating Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds for backing Mr. DeSantis. “We love loyalty in life,” he said. “Don’t you think? Loyalty?” His claim that Ms. Reynolds is now “the least popular governor in the entire nation”—accompanied by the trademark “Did you see that?” as if referring to an actual report—received feeble applause from his Iowa audience.

Even Mr. Trump’s ironic nihilism, or maybe the term is nihilist irony, sounds brutal and unfunny in a way it didn’t a few years ago. At one point he mentioned a favorable poll from the Des Moines Register. The newspaper has “a great pollster, actually, a very powerful pollster, a very good, talented pollster.” A brief pause, then: “Of course if my numbers were bad I wouldn’t be saying that. I’d say ‘They have a terrible pollster.’ ”

An hour into the speech, the loudspeakers suddenly piped in electric keyboard music sounding like something from a documentary about space travel. The effect was to get the audience to stop bellowing after every line and allow Mr. Trump to get to the end. “We are a nation that in many ways has become a joke,” the candidate intoned, drawing on the sort of apocalyptic language last heard in his 2017 inaugural address—a speech that convinced Democrats and liberal intellectuals, if they needed convincing, that the Brownshirts had finally come to America. “We are a nation that has become hostile to liberty, freedom, faith and even to God. We are a nation whose economy is collapsing into a cesspool of ruin, whose supply chain is broken, whose stores are not stocked, whose deliveries are not coming, and whose educational system is ranked at the very bottom of every single list.”

After the rally I sat exhausted in the Hyatt’s bar over french fries and a beer watching the happy rallygoers at other tables. I wished they could see what I see, or that I could see what they see. What they see, I guess, is a wiser, savvier President Trump foiling his enemies and setting America on a better course. What I see is a catastrophe in which cultural VIPs in government and the media give themselves license to ruin a duly elected president, and his fans, refusing to take it a second time, responding with incomprehending rage.

I’m not sure what Mr. Trump sees. He knows that his enemies’ insane need to defeat him by nonelectoral means tends to fortify his support, and he encourages them to indulge their dumbest instincts. He may ride their foolishness all the way to the White House.

As a matter of cosmic justice, the Democrats, particularly Mr. Biden, deserve a Trump victory in 2024. They have done everything possible to ensure his nomination—funding his preferred candidates, no matter how crazy, defaming his sane Republican opponents, hounding him with spurious lawsuits. They assumed he was unelectable. Thanks to them, he isn’t. He will likely win the nomination.

And, as a consequence of Mr. Biden’s plenary incompetence and perverse refusal to exit the scene, Mr. Trump may win the presidency. Then the real fun starts. Happy days are here again.

Mr. Swaim is a Journal editorial page writer.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 09:23:21 AM by Crafty_Dog »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Biden propaganda speech
« Reply #1040 on: January 06, 2024, 12:15:28 PM »
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/watch-live-biden-marks-jan-6-anniversary-with-campaign-speech-on-sacred-cause-of-democracy

notice the man who introduces President Joe Biden and "Doctor" (with emphasis) Jill Biden.

has these ears  :roll::

https://twofeatherplugs.com/blogs/two-feather-plugs-blog/the-history-of-why-people-have-stretched-ears

Trump is all about the past he claims while then spending the whole speech about talking about the past specifically 1/6/23.

Invokes George Washington (wait I thought his memory is as a slave holder).

A real Professor, John Turley's rebuttal:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/saraharnold/2024/01/06/jonathon-turley-criticizes-bidens-anti-free-speech-administration-n2633267

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024, one more prediction Joe will step out
« Reply #1041 on: January 08, 2024, 03:43:30 AM »
https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2024/01/07/jpmorgan-analyst-predicts-timing-of-when-biden-will-drop-out-how-he-will-be-replaced-n2168418

He will drop out between super Tuesday and November according to a JP Morgan prediction, not very specific there, " for health reasons".
----------

The party of "democracy]" is trying to take the voters out of choosing the replacement (and trying to hold the general election without the opponent on the ballot).

If he is unable to serve them for health reasons known now, then why isn't he unable to serve now?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 06:36:01 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
new he said she said
« Reply #1043 on: January 08, 2024, 10:07:01 AM »
 :roll:

https://nypost.com/2024/01/08/news/new-batch-of-jeffrey-epstein-court-documents-are-released/

tapes disintegrated in thin air

can we please get Trump off the headlines !

I don't want to keep dealing with this every single day

his name blurs out everything else .

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024, Trump's runningmate Elise Stefanik
« Reply #1044 on: January 08, 2024, 10:38:47 AM »
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2024/01/07/stefanik-i-have-concerns-about-the-treatment-of-january-6-hostages/

Meet the Press  Jan 7 2024

Should see full show video for context.  But it seems NBC takes that down off of youtube.

She stands up and calls them out.

Later as (Big Trump hater) Peggy Noonan points out, Stefanik engages in the political but shifts back to policy, which is a winning move for them.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
why does electoral map not cheer me up
« Reply #1045 on: January 08, 2024, 11:34:53 AM »
https://pjmedia.com/matt-margolis/2024/01/08/cnns-first-road-to-270-map-is-out-and-team-biden-wont-like-it-n4925292

#1  Trump has a iron clad ceiling below 50%

#2  I never underestimate the Dems willingness to cheat lie and do everything else to change the numbers

#3  and of course we have a yr of propaganda left for the MSM to tell us all is well and with BS data etc.
      and the lawfare (which is same as war) but with added the "rules of war" all determine by shysters  -
      [whatever the rules of war horseshit is.]

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: January 08, 2024, 04:09:23 PM »
Just posted this on my FB page:

Just watched Gov. Nikki Haley on the FOX Town Hall hosted by Bret Baier an Martha MacCallum (two of the best anchors anywhere, and a very good team when they work together)

The event was well run, and the questions from the audience were articulate and thoughtful.

A fine job by Gov. Halley and she rose in my estimation.

Tomorrow night is my first choice, Gov. DeSantis.   He'll need his A game after Halley's performance tonight.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: January 09, 2024, 06:35:31 AM »
Fox News host Jesse Watters predicted that former First Lady Michelle Obama could replace President Joe Biden on the Democratic ticket Monday.

Former President Barack Obama reportedly told Biden during a lunch meeting to attack former President Trump more aggressively, even suggesting the hiring of a former campaign staffer to serve as senior strategist. Trump has led Biden in general polling, being 2.2% ahead of the incumbent in the RealClearPolitics average of general election polls from Dec. 4 to Jan. 2. (RELATED: ‘He Lost Me’: Jonathan Turley Rebuts Biden’s ‘Assault On Democracy’ Speech In Less Than 60 Seconds)

“The Obamas say Joe Biden is going to lose, so they’re staging a hostile takeover. Obama world is telling everyone who will listen in Washington that the Biden campaign is complacent, unimaginative, they don’t understand the threat of losing to Trump,” Watters said. “Team Biden says Biden is way too Zen. I think when he says way too Zen, he means barely alive, but I don’t want to put words in the former president’s mouth.”

WATCH:

“The Washington Post is reporting Obama has been visiting Biden to tell him he needs a full overhaul of his campaign,” Watters continued. “Obama is pushing Biden to push his political operation outside and beyond his advisors. Translation, Barack and Michelle are taking over, and the media agrees.”

Biden attacked Trump and his supporters in speeches near Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, and at a Charleston, South Carolina church that was the site of a 2015 mass shooting. The Biden campaign released an ad labeling Trump and his supporters as an “extremist movement” following a meeting with historians.

“Biden’s trying to throw Trump in prison the rest of his life, strip his business license strip him off the ballot and just called him a combination of Hitler and King George III and the Obamas think he should go on the attack?” Watters asked. “I am afraid to ask what this would look like, but if Trump is not damaged goods by the convention, Michelle Obama is presenting herself as plan B.”

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
The SNAKE
« Reply #1048 on: January 09, 2024, 07:45:56 AM »
"Former President Barack Obama reportedly told Biden during a lunch meeting to attack former President Trump more aggressively, even suggesting the hiring of a former campaign staffer to serve as senior strategist."

My question how is this possible
The entire left wing media corporate DNC complex is already doing this 24-7.

"The Biden campaign released an ad labeling Trump and his supporters as an “extremist movement” following a meeting with historians."

These stinking liberal lying historians.

Jesse predicts Michelle will be the nominee announced at DNC.
Quick search does not show any new polls exploring such an event.
But I agree with others, Joe will announce someone else.
I noticed Newsome was in Mexico with Bill Clinton.
Could a Newsome/Hillary ticket be in the cards?

mafia family Clinton vs mafia family Obama gang war?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile