Author Topic: 2024  (Read 72251 times)

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The SNAKE
« Reply #1050 on: January 09, 2024, 08:54:47 AM »
"Former President Barack Obama reportedly told Biden during a lunch meeting..."

Translated, Obama is going public with his frustrations.  It likely means he already suggested Joe step down and he (Jill) is refusing.

"My question how is this possible
The entire left wing media corporate DNC complex is already doing this 24-7.
"

Lipstick on a pig.  The pig is the policies and the policies came from Obama.  It's going on 16 years since the exciting candidate of change Barack Obama turned into the mess he left behind. Lipstick doesn't cover that, nor does a fresh face.

Biden can't 'hand it' to anyone but Kamala and he would have to resign to do that. 

Don't underestimate the role of Biden's legal troubles in all this. Slow Joe understands power and losing his is his biggest fear.  Also Presidents have a vision of their legacy. From Joe's point of view, he can beat this guy, again, the same as last time.

Michelle has personal popularity.  That doesn't perfectly translate to popularity of policies and governance, and it's hard to give up.  If Michelle wants to be (a legitimate) President, she can jump into the primaries like anyone else, and she didn't.  Every indication is she likes her life the way it is and only enjoys one side of today's divisive politics, dishing it out, not taking the blows or taking responsibility.  If they steer this to her, she takes the hit of that elite insider move along with the baggage of 3 failed Presidential terms.  Voters already rejected the Obama legacy once when he left office.  She might win and then she will be Joe, taking instructions from her husband while the country goes down the tubes.

Democrats have dug an even deeper hole for themselves than Republicans.
 Republicans actually want Trump by wide margins and have good options  still open to them.  Democrats don't want Biden - or any of the others. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 08:59:16 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2024
« Reply #1051 on: January 09, 2024, 09:01:13 AM »
"Translated, Obama is going public with his frustrations.  It likely means he already suggested Joe step down and he (Jill) is refusing."

Agree -

The writing of Obama's intentions was actually telegraphed via David Alexdouche a few weeks ago who suggested Joe pass the Torch ( so someone else can burn down the country)

We knew he would never have said this w/o the Snake's approval.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: January 09, 2024, 10:34:01 AM »
IMHO there is nothing that would stop her from saying what everyone would assume anyway-- that if elected she would be the face of Baraq 3.0/4.0.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
August Switcheroo?
« Reply #1053 on: January 09, 2024, 03:35:16 PM »
I was perusing a couple pieces today predicting that Biden would not be the Dem’s presidential candidate later this year, which inspired me to look at the dates of the various conventions, w/ Repubs being in mid-July & Dems being in the second week of Aug. IIRC. This got me to thinking:

Imagine if the Dems wait for the Repubs to nominate their candidate, at this point presumably Trump, and then some three weeks later Biden drops his candidacy and by some mechanism beyond my ken the Dems nominate someone without the baggage of both Trump and Biden? Giving the Dems penchant for playing fast and loose w/ the rules—witness various far from kosher voter registration schemes for one—that might be their most likely path to victory.

Thoughts? I’m sure there are various parliamentary or whatever procedures that would need to be wrestled w/, but the more I think about it the more it seems the Dems best path forward would involve a switcheroo like the one I’ve described.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: January 10, 2024, 06:07:22 AM »
That the Dems could switcheroo AFTER the Rep convention is not something that had occurred to me.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: January 10, 2024, 06:49:47 AM »
It has always annoyed me that the Dem Convention is AFTER the Republican one.

Thus they have 3 weeks to be able to coordinate their response to our platform.

Should we take a pool
 as to who will be the substitute
 or not?

Newsome
Mrs. Obama
Oprah
Robert Dinero
Joe Scarborough
Jammy Rascal
Hakeem Jeffries
Barbra Streisand too old ; she will supply the money though
Same for Soros but maybe his son
Hillary.....
Claudine Gay

:wink:

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: January 10, 2024, 07:05:32 AM »
That the Dems could switcheroo AFTER the Rep convention is not something that had occurred to me.

Yes, but only with (Jill) Biden's consent (or if he dies).  All indications are that the powers behind the curtain have been telling him to step out and he refuses.  Their threats to go public with criticism are used up.  They already went public. 

They should have run Newsom in the primaries against the incumbent when he wouldn't step out, but they didn't.

We assume Democrats have a master plan but remember, they are the other stupid party.

They gave Biden the power (big mistake) and now he has it.

If you believe Democrats, and Biden does, he got more votes than Barack ever did.  He's the 'Big Guy' now, and getting even bigger as his mind gets smaller.

Jill knows, if he drops out now he is a loser President for eternity.

Republicans cannot make that switch after the delegates are set, (again only if the candidate dies). After the early primaries and after super Tuesday, if vote tallies look like the polls today, 50 point lead (except NH), he is unstoppable to the nomination and to November.  Trump will not step out even if (impeached twice and) convicted of 91 felonies, not even if taken off all the blue state ballots.  He will be the nominee if he wins the delegates and we will know that very soon.  Democrats will know soon too; they won't have to wait until after the R convention.

They're waiting for Joe and Joe isn't budging.

If they want to use the 1968 model, get Dean Phillips to win the New Hampshire primary (or come really close) to show Biden weakness, then have Newsom, Michelle and Kamala all jump in right after if they want to.  Let the voters decide.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 07:14:05 AM by DougMacG »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
If Haley takes second in Iowa and wins New Hampshire ...
« Reply #1057 on: January 10, 2024, 09:09:01 AM »
Iowa (Trafalgar): Trump 52, Haley 18, DeSantis 18, Ramaswamy 5, Christie 3

(from RCP)

For months we have heard about the Haley momentum and the demise of DeSantis yet she still isn't really in second place and is a mile or a marathon behind Trump.

But possibly she could take second in Iowa and win New Hampshire in the very near future.  In conventional times, that would completely upset the race.

If so yes, DeSantis will drop out.  But he is more likely to endorse Trump than Haley.  His voters as likely to go to Trump as Haley.  And maybe he will endorse neither, just put the campaign on hold.

If anything close to this happens, my thought is this will not affect Trump's core support across the nation because nothing else did.  In this scenario, it is still a big win for Trump in Iowa and he will blame RINOs and crossovers for upsetting NH, and move on.

Thinking further on this, perhaps DeSantis should take the VP job but I guess it won't and can't be offered.  Same state and no way to fake otherwise - like Cheney did.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: January 10, 2024, 09:16:18 AM »

Yes, but only with (Jill) Biden's consent (or if he dies).  All indications are that the powers behind the curtain have been telling him to step out and he refuses.  Their threats to go public with criticism are used up.  They already went public. 

They should have run Newsom in the primaries against the incumbent when he wouldn't step out, but they didn't.

We assume Democrats have a master plan but remember, they are the other stupid party.

They gave Biden the power (big mistake) and now he has it.

If you believe Democrats, and Biden does, he got more votes than Barack ever did.  He's the 'Big Guy' now, and getting even bigger as his mind gets smaller.

Jill knows, if he drops out now he is a loser President for eternity.

Republicans cannot make that switch after the delegates are set, (again only if the candidate dies). After the early primaries and after super Tuesday, if vote tallies look like the polls today, 50 point lead (except NH), he is unstoppable to the nomination and to November.  Trump will not step out even if (impeached twice and) convicted of 91 felonies, not even if taken off all the blue state ballots.  He will be the nominee if he wins the delegates and we will know that very soon.  Democrats will know soon too; they won't have to wait until after the R convention.

They're waiting for Joe and Joe isn't budging.

If they want to use the 1968 model, get Dean Phillips to win the New Hampshire primary (or come really close) to show Biden weakness, then have Newsom, Michelle and Kamala all jump in right after if they want to.  Let the voters decide.

Appreciate the perspective, Doug, particularly as I claim no expertise where convention dynamics are concerned. Rather, I've an abiding belief that the current iteration of the Democratic Party has little problem sorting out what their desired outcome for a given issue is, and then backward engineering what needs to be bent, warped, spindled, and mutilated to achieve that outcome. Can't help but conclude someone is one of their puzzle palaces is noodling on what all needs to occur should Joe play pocket pool or something in public, making it clear to all he needs to be bounced from the ballot.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 12:10:26 PM by Body-by-Guinness »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: January 10, 2024, 10:41:45 AM »
"I've an abiding belief that the current iteration of the Democratic Party has little problem sorting out their desired outcome for a given issue is, and then backward engineering what needs to be bent, warped, spindled, and mutilated to achieve that outcome."

Yup.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Michelle Obama
« Reply #1060 on: January 11, 2024, 07:21:36 AM »
FWIW

Listening to Bill O'Reilly podcast

He thinks it a long shot but still suspects Michelle O could be the announced nominee and speculates a recent interview she gave warning of the "threat to democracy" is a prelude to this.

He would still be surprised if it is Biden.

He had pollster John McLaughlin (not one of the fastest guitarists ever of same name)
who disagreed saying all the signs are Biden will be nominee - it is late, no indication he wants to step away, etc.

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=beatles+song+michelle&mid=03431E7E7E730A5898C503431E7E7E730A5898C5&FORM=VIRE

another cool song by John McLaughlin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRgqITBGcbs

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: January 11, 2024, 08:35:50 AM »
Trump was quite a bit less than an hour last night for his FOX town hall with Baier & MacCallum.   Was he just late?

Anyway, for me the highlight was how he responded to a question on abortion.   Measured and thoughtful, it actually was almost eloquent.

Plenty of the usual, which for me includes dishonest bullsh*t about DeSantis' record on the Wuhan Virus and Fauci.   Something of a mystery to me why DeSantis does not take him on about it!

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
DeSantis on MSLSD this AM
« Reply #1062 on: January 11, 2024, 08:51:26 AM »
Did not listen to Trump

after hearing all his idiotic dumb ass stuff he is reported to say on the MSM I can't stomach to listen to him and any good positions he takes mixed in with the sick pathological stuff.  His good points are ever drowned out by the dumb shit he can't control which is what ends up all over the tabloids.
It is remarkable we can't have a candidate who refuses and is unable to correct himself over 8 yrs.
But for sure the same can be said of Biden.

I agree I understand he has moderated the abortion issue- deflects to the states I guess

DeSantis on Morning Joe/Mika this AM.
Of course the entire 10 minutes is mostly about bashing Trump and how lousy Ron is doing in the polls.
Nothing really of substance of course.
However, Ron does get questioned and answers Trump on the covid situation head on:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=desantis+on+msnbc&type=E210US1494G0#id=0&vid=245974cbc73bf0b3bae60c247749a4a4&action=click

« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 08:53:41 AM by ccp »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: January 11, 2024, 08:55:27 AM »
I would make it a centerpiece of an ad with suitable supporting video.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: January 11, 2024, 09:16:42 AM »
I liked the part where Ron is asked about the Trump lawyer argument that he could assassinate his political opponents and still be protected by Presidential immunity.

And yes I get the pure legal perspective though crazy.

And I liked Ron's response saying this completely (assassinated() killed the argument for full legal immunity.

Dumb ass Trump who simply has to push on purpose everything beyond limits.
SCOTUS must be pulling their hair out.
They will go down in history as the most consequential SCOTUS thanks to Trump and enemy DNC lawyers taking everything over the top.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: January 11, 2024, 09:26:57 AM »
Nor does his penchant for hot babe lawyers serve him well-- witness the most recent one saying that Kavanaugh owes Trump.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: January 11, 2024, 10:52:43 AM »
as far as I know she still works for Trump

though

she should be replaced immediately upon such a public statement.....

but this is likely how Trump himself thinks and I would be surprised if he didn't say it to her.
though not for the MSM........

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: January 11, 2024, 11:47:22 AM »
Exactly so.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2024, Iowa debate
« Reply #1068 on: January 12, 2024, 07:58:15 AM »
One more debate I did not see.  I've read a few takes.  All say Trump won by not being there and by setting up the scenario  where they just fight each other, not  fight Trump or even fight Biden.

DeSantis did fine but loses by not winning.

These debates should a clinic on American Creed and what's wrong with current governance, drawing in and capturing undecided voters of all types.  Not so.

So let's say Haley wins second where I hoped RD would.  Where does that leave her, where does that leave us?  She isn't the heir apparent if she becomes the anti-Trump. His runningmate probably is (unless they have a falling out).

Cruz sort of won second place last time.  Got labeled Lying Ted etc.  Retreated to just trying to be a great Senator, not a national leader.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: January 12, 2024, 08:49:57 AM »
"These debates should a clinic on American Creed and what's wrong with current governance, drawing in and capturing undecided voters of all types."

THIS.

DeSantis is looking thoroughly fuct in NH, and as a result things are looking ominous for him overall even if he does well in Iowa.   

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Increase Black support for Trump?
« Reply #1070 on: January 13, 2024, 08:10:53 AM »
I don't really believe this but say if true:

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2024/01/poll_analysis_a_surge_in_black_voter_support_for_trump.html

I would hope Ronna would have enough sense to try to recruit these people to help get the ballots out for Trump.

Just like the Dems do for their Black supporters.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Trump drops Vivek from VP candidate race
« Reply #1072 on: January 14, 2024, 08:10:28 AM »
" Vote for "TRUMP,” don’t waste your vote! Vivek is not MAGA,' the post went on. "

Well, I am thinking MAGA is not simply Trump.

MAGA is us - not Trump - and others *beside* DJT are quite capable at giving *us* a voice we have not had in over 30 yrs too.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: January 14, 2024, 11:35:19 AM »
Not the link you were looking for.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: January 14, 2024, 01:09:24 PM »
thank you for the pointing out the mis post

here is the correct link:

https://www.newsweek.com/anti-trump-pollster-admits-hed-place-150k-bet-donald-trump-winning-1860523

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Zeihan
« Reply #1076 on: January 14, 2024, 07:58:19 PM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Can man become woman? Trump and Haley dodge, Desantis says NO.
« Reply #1078 on: January 15, 2024, 05:27:49 PM »
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2024/01/14/nikki-haley-dodges-when-asked-straight-up-if-a-man-can-become-a-woman-1427677/?utm_campaign=bizpac&utm_content=Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_source=Get%20Response&utm_term=EMAIL

I joke sometimes about girls and women with eye shadow and make up.  God did such a great job but must have got that part wrong and that's why they need to do that.  This trans thing takes it to another level. 

As recently as 2020 I see mainstream opinion AND LAW that female genital mutilation is wrong, criminal, horrible.  This one is from 2019:  https://islamic-relief.org/news/islam-must-never-be-used-to-justify-fgm/

Wrong for so many reasons, they are juvenile, non-consensual, it's done for a non-medical purpose.

And now something far more intrusive is sanctioned and paid for by the government and promoted in the schools under the guise of gender-what?  Affirmation?  What a criminal crock. 

Men and women have run the spectrum for masculinity and femininity since the beginning of time.  Now we tell them it is easily 'corrected', reversing words like "affirmation" and pretending with terms like gender change.  Isn't the chromosome different?  Have they really, fully changed?

Why are Leftists pushing this?  Why are doctors allowed to do it?  What diseases and ailments are we neglecting while we chase this and spend fortunes on it?  What is the success rate?  No medicine or other treatment would ever be approved by the government with a failure rate like that.

Suddenly this is the issue of the day. I'm afraid to post this and running for nothing.
 No doubt they are afraid to speak out as well.

Strange, strange strange time we live in.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024, Trump wins Iowa
« Reply #1079 on: January 16, 2024, 04:52:29 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: January 16, 2024, 05:01:08 AM »
Trump spoke very well in his acceptance speech, even spoke graciously (by Trump standards) of DeS, NK, and VR.

VR spoke briefly and well and threw his support (nearly 8%) to Trump.

DeS, was , , , OK; spoke simply of getting his ticket punched to continue.   Given his very weak polling in NH and not great in SC, the prognosis is not good.

NH actually spoke well and rousingly of the strategy going forward against two old men, neither of whom the country wanted, nursing their backward looking grievances and how she far outpolled Trump against Biden.  She may have come in behind DeS last night, but that will not last long is my guess.

Observation:  One talking head spoke of the actual number of people who voted last night-- which given the caucus rules of Iowa was quite small, and cranked the numbers on money spent and concluded that it was over $1M per vote?!?   Do I have this right?!?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2024 Iowa
« Reply #1081 on: January 16, 2024, 05:57:32 AM »
I think DeSantis will drop out today. He was not prepared to do that last night. Wanted to enjoy the second place finish for a moment and didn't want to backstab the people who went through below zero wind chills and spent their evening there to support him. But in a way, he goes out as a winner and if he stays in longer he goes out as a loser.

Haley should do the same. She will take a try at New Hampshire but unless she wins it, she will need to drop out before losing in her home state South Carolina, just as DeSantis would have lost to Trump in Florida.

This is a steamroller now. Does she really want to fight him or does she want to be the heir apparent to him should something happen.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 06:00:27 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: January 16, 2024, 06:07:52 AM »
One way to think of it :

52% of Republicans wanted Trump
47% voted against him.

Almost split.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: January 16, 2024, 06:12:46 AM »
All eyes now turn to the Phillips versus Biden race in New hampshire.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: January 16, 2024, 06:29:18 AM »
Yes.

And to their credit Ron and Nikki are top tier for future roles.
Vivek has some future role but I don't think he could be President unless he gets some other Federal level position and proves himself there first.

Maybe Ambassador to China where he will verbally kick Xi's tuchus.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: DeS should drop out to give NK a chance
« Reply #1085 on: January 16, 2024, 07:23:23 AM »
What say we?  Nikki or Donald?

====================================

owa Gives Trump II a Boost
New Hampshire is the best chance to make it a real GOP race.
By The WSJ Editorial Board
Jan. 15, 2024 11:41 pm ET

Donald Trump romped to victory in the Iowa caucuses on Monday night, launching the former President on his quest for a third GOP nomination. The vote nonetheless revealed weaknesses that could pose problems in a general election, so Republicans in New Hampshire should think hard if they want to gamble on another Trump run.

Mr. Trump’s victory was the widest in Iowa caucus history for a non-incumbent race, with close to 51% of the vote
at this writing. Ron DeSantis with about 21% was running slightly ahead of Nikki Haley for a distant second. The result is a show of organizational strength that Mr. Trump didn’t have in 2016 when he lost the state to Ted Cruz.

It’s also a sign that he is running almost as a quasi-incumbent in the eyes of his supporters. Voters recall the economy was better under Mr. Trump with little inflation, and America’s enemies weren’t on the march.

President Biden and Democrats claim to loathe Mr. Trump, but they have also helped make another Trump nomination possible. Mr. Biden’s failing Presidency and unpopularity have diminished the argument that Mr. Trump can’t win again, despite the GOP’s multiple election defeats since he came to dominate the Republican Party.

The four Democratic indictments and attempts to strike him from the ballot have also rallied many Republicans behind Mr. Trump to put a thumb in the eye of the Democratic left. The polls show that support for Mr. Trump popped after his initial indictment last March, and it has climbed in the wake of the others.

Mr. Trump plays a martyr-for-the-cause note at every rally. Iowa’s caucuses, Mr. Trump said on the weekend, “are your personal chance to score the ultimate victory over all of the liars, cheaters, thugs, perverts, frauds, crooks, creeps—and other quite nice people.”

All of this has made it far more difficult for opponents to break through. Mr. DeSantis seemed the likeliest candidate to do so after his 2022 victory and stellar governing record in fast-growing Florida. But his Iowa result is disappointing after he invested so much time and money in the state.

He tried a version of the Cruz strategy by running to Mr. Trump’s right on abortion and as an anti-woke warrior. But there isn’t much room in that lane. The Florida Governor earned some evangelical support in Iowa for Florida’s ban on abortion after six weeks, but Mr. Trump ran as the President whose Supreme Court appointees voted to overturn Roe v. Wade. Mr. DeSantis waffled on aid to Ukraine to appeal to Trump voters, but this has made him look inconstant.

Mr. DeSantis faces no clear path to the nomination. He’s well behind Ms. Haley in New Hampshire and South Carolina. If he believes, as he says, that Mr. Trump can’t win in November, he should leave the race and give Ms. Haley a chance to take on Mr. Trump one on one.
Ms. Haley has pursued a strategy of appealing to Republicans who either don’t like Mr. Trump or are open to someone else, and that helped her finish a close third in Iowa. The entrance poll says she won among voters who decided in the last two weeks, and she did well among the suburban voters who will determine who wins in November. She has a chance to make a race of it in New Hampshire on Jan. 23, which is why Mr. Trump is attacking her so aggressively on TV.

Ms. Haley’s relative strength in the Granite State speaks to Mr. Trump’s weakness in the general election. Independents can vote in either party primary in the swing state, and Ms. Haley is attracting these voters who will be crucial in the half dozen states that will be decisive in November. It’s also one reason most polls show she defeats Mr. Biden easily while Mr. Trump is barely ahead despite the President’s historically low approval rating of 40%.

Mr. Trump wants to shut down the GOP race early, but Republican voters deserve a debate over his first-term record, the peril from his indictments, and his agenda for a second term. Second terms typically fail, and Mr. Trump can only serve one more.

He could be a convicted felon by the summer, and the Iowa entrance poll showed that no fewer than 32% of GOP caucus-goers said that a conviction would be disqualifying. But by then it may be too late for Republicans to choose another candidate. Meantime, Mr. Trump won’t get on stage with anyone unless Granite State voters make a race of it.

It’s hard to believe, but both political parties are on a path to nominate candidates most voters say they don’t want. Mr. Biden may be the only nominee Mr. Trump can beat, and vice versa. Republicans have a chance to think twice about their choice, and the Iowa result means there isn’t much time to do it.

Democrats are also taking a huge gamble. Mr. Biden’s approval rating is so low that he can’t run on his record. His strategy is to make the election all about Mr. Trump, but that is tempting fate. If Mr. Biden believes that Mr. Trump really is a threat to democracy, he would drop his re-election bid even at this late date. The party could use late primaries and the August convention to choose from other candidates who are younger and not tied to the ball-and-chain of Mr. Biden’s record.

The President whose main claim to history is denying Mr. Trump a second term in 2020 could midwife his return to the Oval Office four years later. He would then join Hillary Clinton in a special class of Democratic infamy. Mr. Trump is counting on him.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ:
« Reply #1086 on: January 16, 2024, 08:11:11 AM »
second

Presentism is among the most pernicious tendencies of our age. The urge to view historical events through the sentiments and values of the present reflects a lack of perspective, empathy and imagination. It leads to the tyranny that tears down statues, cancels art and rewrites literature. It reaches its nadir in the epic nonsense of some third-rate functionary at a leading American institution thinking he is equipped to pass moral judgment on William Penn.

There’s another form of presentism, less malevolent but equally misleading and potentially as dangerous. Just as always seeing history from the standpoint of the now corrupts our understanding of the past, peering ahead can distort our ability to make useful judgments about the future.

When we attempt to predict some event ahead, we see its implications only from the perspective of our immediate contemporary conditions. We should also know that any event in the future will carry the impact of other events that will occur between now and then. What seems likely to us in a year may look very different when the passing year’s events have intervened.

This is obvious when it comes to the unforeseen. Picture yourself in August 2001 estimating what would happen to the world in 2002. All your reasoned judgments would flow from extrapolations of what you knew at the time, bereft of knowledge of the most important historic event in decades, which would change everything weeks later.

But this is much more than simply saying the future is inherently unknowable, or that we can’t predict events like 9/11. The way events change our perspective applies also to things that are highly predictable—or even certainties. Even well-informed anticipation of the effects of something we know is going to happen can be at sharp variance with the actual effects of that event.

Let me give a poignant example. Most of us can have a high level of confidence that we will outlive our parents. It is a near-certainty and something we all know in advance. But as anyone who has lost a parent knows, the actual realization of that predictable event surpasses the ambit of our experience and transforms our outlook on life itself in ways even the most vivid imagination could not convey.

If it’s true of certainties, like death, then it’s even more true of high-probability events. As those probabilities harden into reality, our perception of them, and the new reality they create, can change out of all recognition. Anticipation of time future in time present is rarely validated.

READ MORE FREE EXPRESSION
A New American Tries to Buck Up His CountrymenJanuary 8, 2024
Winners of the Year: Putin, Musk, the U.S. EconomyDecember 18, 2023
Higher Education’s Slide From ‘Veritas’ to ‘My Truth’December 11, 2023
Having tried to go all T.S. Eliot on you, I want to root this in the prosaic present. We are at the moment in the political cycle—the start of an election season—when maximum attention is focused on the imminent future. This year we seem to start with an especially high level of confidence in at least the immediate outcome—the identities of the two main candidates in November’s election.

But I suspect, and polling suggests, that the confidence in that outcome isn’t matched by satisfaction with it. We are in a very odd state in which large numbers of Americans view the prospect of a 2020 presidential election rerun between Joe Biden and Donald Trump as simultaneously inevitable and somehow unbelievable.

I doubt that we have collectively or individually come close to grasping what the reality will be like when it arrives, assuming it does. It is a world of difference between the two men being the probable nominees of their respective parties and their being the actual declared nominees.

In ways we can’t predict, perceptions will change, perhaps dramatically. Voters on both sides who are disinclined now to support their nominee will have to decide whether to throw in their lot with him after all. Or perhaps they will switch—or turn to an alternative emerging reality, a third-party candidate with a real shot.

I think we are especially unprepared for what the world will feel like when the hard reality of Mr. Trump as the Republican nominee—and the sharply increased likelihood of a second Trump presidential term—sinks in with his most inveterate opponents. I suspect that even among those Democrats who worry a lot about Mr. Biden’s visible electoral frailties many have not really brought themselves to admit the looming reality that a Trump victory is a strong possibility.

What happens when they do? We are warned repeatedly about the perilous fragility of our democracy—and those warnings aren’t wrong.

But what about the activist left—with its representatives in the Biden administration, the permanent government and bureaucracy, the media, academia, and cultural institutions, in groups like Black Lives Matter and the anti-Israel protesters who have dominated our screens in the past few months? What happens when they decide the unthinkable is about to become real? Do they use the powerful tools they have to try to prevent it?

We haven’t begun to see what the future we confidently expect really looks like

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Remarkable
« Reply #1087 on: January 17, 2024, 06:48:03 AM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/17/davos-trumps-potential-return-to-white-house-is-dominating-small-talk.html

Climate change

ESG

How to make money

How to spend when you have so much money

How to manipulate the masses

hobnobbing with celebrities/hookers/politicians

Instead:

TRUMP !!! OMG!
How can we profit from this?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: SC
« Reply #1088 on: January 18, 2024, 07:29:04 AM »
Nikki Haley Has a South Carolina Problem: Her Home State Is Trump Country
Former president has a big advantage thanks to his popularity in the state
By
Eliza Collins
Follow
 and
Cameron McWhirter
Follow
Jan. 18, 2024 5:00 am ET

Gift unlocked article

Listen

(5 min)

Nikki Haley spent most of her political career in her home state of South Carolina. PHOTO: ADAM GLANZMAN/BLOOMBERG NEWS
Nikki Haley’s long-shot strategy to win the Republican presidential nomination is to pull off an upset in New Hampshire next week over former President Donald Trump—then beat him again in her home state of South Carolina a month later.

But she has a problem: South Carolina is Trump Country.

Haley, who turns 52 years old on Saturday, grew up in the small city of Bamberg, S.C., went to Clemson University and spent most of her political career in the Palmetto State, serving as its popular governor from 2011 to 2017.

Despite Haley’s deep personal ties and political legacy, Trump, 77, has been considered the front-runner in South Carolina for months. Haley lags behind Trump by about 30 points in most state polls taken before the GOP field narrowed following the Iowa caucuses. Surveys show Trump with about 50% or more support of those polled, while Haley attracts about 20%. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has polled in the low teens or lower.

“South Carolina likes Nikki Haley but South Carolina loves Donald Trump,” said Rep. Nancy Mace, a Republican from the Charleston area who hasn’t endorsed a candidate. Mace started her congressional career highly critical of Trump, but she has since said she would consider backing the former president in the primary.

Trump is looking to quickly lock up the nomination after his win in Iowa on Monday, when DeSantis came in a distant second followed by Haley in third. To blunt Trump’s rise, Haley would need to win, or come very close, in New Hampshire on Jan. 23, and then score a convincing win on her home turf in South Carolina’s Feb. 24 contest.

Nikki Haley is hoping to do well in the New Hampshire primary and gain momentum for her campaign. PHOTO: ADAM GLANZMAN/BLOOMBERG NEWS
In an interview with CNN on Tuesday, Haley said: “If we can be strong in New Hampshire…we’re going to be even stronger in South Carolina…This is a marathon. It’s not a sprint.”

A Haley spokeswoman said that Haley won the governor’s mansion as the Tea Party, antiestablishment candidate and that she built a conservative record as the state’s chief executive. She said Haley signed restrictive abortion legislation and cracked down on illegal immigration as governor. Haley won by roughly 4.5 percentage points for her first race for governor in 2010 and 14.5 percentage points for her re-election in 2014.

Rep. Ralph Norman, one of the most prominent Republican elected officials in South Carolina to endorse Haley, said he expected her to campaign hard in her home state and ultimately do well. He said the race now is between Haley and Trump.

“Nikki has always come through,” Norman said.

But Trump, who carried South Carolina in the last competitive Republican primary in 2016, has far more top endorsements in the state, including Gov. Henry McMaster, a Republican. Trump has noted his wide lead in South Carolina polls and said Haley should be doing better there given her résumé.

“I think it’s a Trump state,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham (R., S.C.), who has endorsed Trump. The state’s other senator, Tim Scott, was briefly a GOP candidate for president. He hasn’t endorsed a candidate, but has been lobbied by all remaining candidates, according to a person familiar with the matter.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

0:12ADVERTISEMENT
TAP FOR SOUND
Donald Trump secured 51% of the vote in the Iowa caucuses on Monday, while Ron DeSantis and Nikki Haley lagged behind with 21% and 19%. WSJ Senior Political Correspondent Molly Ball explains what the results mean for the Republican nomination race. Photo: Jim Watson/Agence France-Presse/Getty Images
Some allies have urged DeSantis to drop out because he is expected to do poorly in New Hampshire and South Carolina, but so far he has resisted those calls. The primary in his home state of Florida isn’t until March 19; Trump has a big lead in polling there.

A DeSantis spokesman said Haley “will be out of this race after failing to win her home state.”

Haley’s first order of business will be in New Hampshire, where recent polling has shown her eating into Trump’s lead—with one having her cut it to single digits. Haley could appeal to the state’s more-centrist electorate.

Advertisement - Scroll to Continue

After that primary, she will have a month to campaign in a place she knows well—though she will be an underdog.

South Carolina is a Republican stronghold, with a large conservative evangelical population in much of the state. GOP voters around Charleston, many retired and wealthy, tend to back more-moderate candidates. Republican presidential nominees have carried the state in every general election since 1980.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS
What should be Haley’s campaign strategy? Join the conversation below.

Alex Stroman, a former executive director of the South Carolina Republican Party who worked on Trump’s 2017 inauguration, said Haley will have to win in New Hampshire to show South Carolina voters she is viable.

“South Carolinians are not going to reward Nikki Haley just for being from our state,” Stroman said. “If she can win in New Hampshire and then in South Carolina, that would give her critical momentum,” he said, adding later: “It totally changes the dynamic.”

Many Republican voters in South Carolina will vote for Trump in part because they believe his legal problems are unfair and have been directed by his political enemies, said Chad Connelly, a former state GOP chairman. Voters liked Haley as governor, but that was years ago, he added.

“Trump people are fiercely loyal,” he said.

Alex Leary and Siobhan Hughes contributed to this article

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Trump and Burgum
« Reply #1089 on: January 18, 2024, 07:39:58 AM »
https://www.breitbart.com/2024-election/2024/01/17/trump-develops-strong-relationship-with-north-dakota-gov-doug-burgum/

hmmmm......

doesn't check the DEI box though.

He would make good secretary of Dept. of Energy though.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: January 18, 2024, 08:18:07 AM »
I liked the little I saw of Burgham in the presidential campaign.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: January 18, 2024, 02:32:40 PM »
A fine Congresswoman it would seem, but a heart beat away from a 78 year old President?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Haley in NH
« Reply #1093 on: January 18, 2024, 02:53:20 PM »
Haley Could Win New Hampshire. Then What?
Trump attacks her viciously every day, but she’s been strangely tepid in going back at him.
By Barton Swaim
Jan. 18, 2024 4:54 pm ET

‘You know how to do this,” Nikki Haley told a New Hampshire audience on Jan. 3. “You know Iowa starts it. You know that you correct it.” Ron DeSantis, speaking in Iowa, sharply criticized his rival for saying Iowa needed correcting. But she had a point. The winner of the New Hampshire primary tends not to be the person who won the Iowa caucuses the week before.

The likelihood of that happening in 2024 appears slim but not impossible. Donald Trump won in Iowa with 51% of the vote in a four-way race. Mr. DeSantis took 21% of the vote. Ms. Haley came in third with 19%.

Ms. Haley is expected to perform much better in the Granite State on Tuesday. At present she’s polling in the low 30s, and Mr. DeSantis remains in the single digits. Registered independents can vote in the Republican primary and conceivably could do so in sufficient numbers for Ms. Haley to come out on top. It isn’t unthinkable, moreover, that Chris Christie’s and even some of Vivek Ramaswamy’s supporters could find their way to Ms. Haley as the non-Trump candidate.

But a campaign can’t depend on too many coulds and maybes. On Tuesday night, in her first public event in New Hampshire after the Iowa caucuses, Ms. Haley sounded more like an also-ran. She addressed a group of about 150 in a hotel ballroom in Bretton Woods, a resort town in the rural north of the state. (The hotel was the site of the Bretton Woods Conference, which created the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank—a curious choice of location for a politician much of her party’s base vilifies as a billionaire-backed “globalist.”)

Ms. Haley’s talk was the same one I heard her give multiple times in November. Her listeners weren’t wowed. Many of her lines drew tepid applause or none at all. Her jokes fell flat. “We all know people over 75 who can run circles around us,” she said. “And then we know Joe Biden.” Silence. Her usual shot at Mr. Trump—“chaos follows him”—drew claps from some and glum stares from others. Near the end of her talk, describing the sort of “mandate” a double-digit victory over Mr. Biden would allow Republicans to claim, she asked, in what sounded like an exasperated tone, “Don’t you want that?”

Her cautious criticism of Mr. Trump sounds disingenuous. She began her reproval by noting that she voted for him twice and was honored to serve in his administration. “But rightly or wrongly, chaos follows him,” she said. “You know I’m right. Chaos follows him.” Plainly the formulation is calculated not to offend. You could take it, as Mr. Trump likely does, as a compliment, particularly when prefaced by “rightly or wrongly.”

Mr. Trump, for his part, can be counted on not to speak of her with similar delicacy. Last week on his social-media network, Truth Social, he suggested Ms. Haley wasn’t eligible to be president because her parents were born abroad. At a Wednesday rally in Atkinson, N.H., he called her backers “pro-amnesty, pro-China and pro-war” and accused her of using fake poll numbers. His campaign surrogate Mr. Ramaswamy, speaking at the podium with Mr. Trump expressing smug approval behind him, was even more unkind in his gibes at Ms. Haley’s expense.

My guess is that Ms. Haley and her campaign quickly realized the “chaos” line wasn’t cutting it. On Thursday she spoke at a rally in Hollis, N.H., near Nashua, and inveighed against Mr. Trump directly and repeatedly. She cleverly, if not quite correctly, categorized Mr. Trump with Mr. Biden by saying “the majority of Americans don’t want to see two 80-year-olds battling it out for president.” (Mr. Biden is 81; Mr. Trump will turn 78 in June.) “Everybody wants to talk about how good the economy was under Trump,” she went on. “He put us $8 trillion in debt in four years.”

And this, on Mr. Trump’s propensity to malign people with whom he’s fallen out: “It’s the drama and the vengeance and the vindictiveness that we want to get out of the way.”

Apart from that, and a nice line about avoiding a Kamala Harris presidency, her talk was the same one she’s been giving for months. Introducing her, New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu referred to “her speech, so to say,” as if he too has grown weary of it.

Having heard it fewer times than Mr. Sununu but often enough to anticipate its phrases, I’m impressed by its incoherence. There are moments of an identifiably conservative outlook, particularly on defense and deterrence, but mainly it’s a litany of unrelated policy goals: mental-health care for veterans, term limits, vocational classes in high schools, the elimination of the federal gas tax and earmark spending, cognitive tests for presidential candidates over 75, and so on.

There may be a strategy here. To win, the Haley campaign will have to do what John McCain did in 2000 and 2008, when he attracted enough independents to pull off an upset. After the talk ended on Thursday, I turned to the woman to my left and asked what she thought. “I liked her,” Jacqui O’Shea, 54, said. “I mean, I lean Democratic, but to me she seems smart.” Was there anything Ms. O’Shea didn’t agree with? “Not really. I wanted to ask about abortion rights and gun control. Those mean a lot to me. But they didn’t come up.”

After New Hampshire comes South Carolina, and polls there suggest a result similar to Iowa’s. Gov. Henry McMaster, Ms. Haley’s predecessor in Columbia, endorsed Mr. Trump months before she announced her candidacy last year. That a presidential candidate should lose the state she served as governor but somehow march on to the nomination would appear, let’s say, unlikely.

As for the John McCain strategy, the careful reader will recall a singular fact about the Arizona senator: He was never president.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: Why doesn't anyone want to debate DeSantis?
« Reply #1094 on: January 18, 2024, 02:56:28 PM »
Third

Why Doesn’t Anyone Want to Debate DeSantis?
Another political norm seems to be going by the wayside in this odd political season.
James Freeman
Jan. 16, 2024 5:38 pm ET

We keep seeing media reports about how awkward Gov. Ron DeSantis (R., Fla.) is in front of a camera and how he lacks the ability to effectively execute a handshake or even a smile when he’s in the spotlight. Yet for some reason his chief rivals have no interest in getting on a stage with him. Both the candidate who finished ahead of Mr. DeSantis in Iowa and the candidate who finished just behind him have now made it clear they don’t want to debate the Florida man. Are they afraid the content of his remarks will leave them feeling awkward?

Former President Donald Trump, who won Iowa by a large margin and enjoys a significant lead in national polls, has felt free to skip debates all through this election cycle rather than risk defeat to an upstart. But even one of the upstarts has decided it’s not in her interest to take on the Florida governor. Meg Kinnard reports for the Associated Press:

Nikki Haley said Tuesday that she wouldn’t participate in the next Republican presidential debate unless former President Donald Trump takes part in it, leaving Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis as the only candidate committed to Thursday’s event.
“We’ve had five great debates in this campaign,” Haley said in a statement, released as she campaigned in New Hampshire. “Unfortunately, Donald Trump has ducked all of them. He has nowhere left to hide. The next debate I do will either be with Donald Trump or with Joe Biden. I look forward to it.”
Arielle Mitropoulos of New Hampshire’s ABC affiliate WMUR-TV has more on the Thursday event:

The debate will be held at Saint Anselm College, but it’s still unclear who will appear on the debate stage.
To earn a spot, candidates have to either finish in the Top 3 in the Iowa caucuses or be polling at least 10% in two national polls or in two New Hampshire polls of Republican primary voters during a certain window of time.
So far, former President Donald Trump has qualified, along with former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.
If only the Florida governor accepts, WMUR and Saint Anselm College should proceed with the event and let voters decide what they think of his answers—and of the decisions by Mr. Trump and Ms. Haley to avoid having their arguments tested in a competitive arena.

One could argue that for the Granite State it’s especially important to encourage Republican competition this year because on the Democratic side President Joe Biden and his allies have gone to great lengths to make New Hampshire irrelevant. The Democratic National Committee has stripped the state of its official status as the first-in-the-nation primary and Mr. Biden isn’t even appearing on the ballot next week, though his campaign is urging supporters to write in his name.

Mr. Biden’s effort to trash a political norm and make New Hampshire’s primary a nonevent may be succeeding. For a time on Tuesday afternoon, the “Most Popular” list on the website of Manchester’s Union Leader newspaper showed no stories about the upcoming primary among the top five. The sixth story listed, “Trump to return to NH Jan. 16,” appeared just below “Ben’s Sugar Shack moves to new digs as maple season approaches” and right above “Manchester aldermen asked to sign off on sale of Fisher Cats minor league baseball team.”

Of course Mr. Biden won’t be debating in the state, either. That’s a shame because voters are missing out on what would surely have been a lively and informative discussion. Democratic rival Marianne Williamson is not afraid of debating—or of much else for that matter. Adam Sexton reports for WMUR on her recent event taking questions from voters in Manchester:

“Somebody told me when I turned 50, 50 is the age past which you don’t care what other people think anymore, which I also found to be true. Turning 60, I thought, not only do I not care what other people think, I have to say something,” she said. “At 70, I’m only 71, so I’m only beginning, but I feel how different it is in a good way.”
“I think a lot of it has to do with your spiritual beliefs,” she continued. “If you’re afraid of death, then I guess getting older is really quite horrible. But if you’re not, you know, if you have a sense of something more, it’s pretty fantastic, in a way.”
Another Biden rival, Rep. Dean Phillips (D., Minn.), has been suggesting for a while that President Biden doesn’t engage in much communication—on a debate stage or anywhere else. Now Mr. Phillips is offering another critique of Biden congressional relations that is not going to please the White House. Martin Pengelly reports for the Guardian:

Dean Phillips, the Minnesota congressman mounting a long-shot challenge to Joe Biden for the Democratic presidential nomination, praised the Trump White House for its outreach on issues and legislation he worked on and said he had “not seen any of that reach-out by the Biden White House”.
“I don’t believe that we’ve had a president recently that invested in the way one needs to develop … those relationships and that work ethic,” Phillips told Johanna Maska, host of the Press Advance podcast and a former aide to Barack Obama.
“And I’ll be forthright: the Trump White House worked very closely with me in my office on two really important initiatives.”
“Worse than Trump” is an epithet usually reserved in media circles for Republicans who might pose a threat of enacting conservative policies. Yet in contrast to Biden inaction, the congressman noted Mr. Trump’s help as president on deferring deportation for Liberians and also on the Covid-related Paycheck Protection Program.

Speaking of immigration, Mr. Phillips is getting increasingly vocal about President Biden’s failures in this era, which may be a signal of rising dissatisfaction among Democrats with White House border policies.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Haley in NH
« Reply #1095 on: January 18, 2024, 05:26:33 PM »
"As for the John McCain strategy, the careful reader will recall a singular fact about the Arizona senator: He was never president."

Author seems underwhelmed by her.

I remember her stepping in for Trump at a press dinner.  She had a nice stage presence and good writers.  But it was fun, not serious material.

Giving the same speech over and over with stale lines is not a good sign.

Eugene McCarthy was never President also.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 05:44:13 PM by DougMacG »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024, Vox, how the Left sees the Trump calendar
« Reply #1096 on: January 18, 2024, 05:57:46 PM »
https://www.vox.com/trump-investigations/2024/1/17/24041580/trump-court-dates-2024-election-republican-primary

Trump has alternating court appearances and primaries.  I don't see any of those early court dated doing him harm at this point so he should glide to the nomination.  By summer or fall maybe something will take it's toll, or so the Left is betting.

Maybe DeSantis sees something there.   I thought he would drop out. Maybe Nikki will weaken Trump in NH and that will benefit DeSantis.  I don't see it at this point.

Funny how they had the earlier part of the 4 years to bring charges, but no.  They had to all be during the election season, actually helping Trump both ways.  The political motive behind it is way too obvious.

Regarding J6 "insurrection" and taking his name off the ballot for same reason,  he was tried in the Senate, that's where you try Presidents, and found not guilty.  Was Chief Justice Roberts right, the trial was a sham?  Nonetheless,  he was vindicated.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 06:01:45 PM by DougMacG »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: January 18, 2024, 07:32:27 PM »
I liked the little I saw of Burgham in the presidential campaign.

Me too.  I just thought the step from not nationally known to president was too great, especially with so many others running.

I'd be happy to have him as our president if he could win.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
The Republican Presidential Nomination is a Done Deal
« Reply #1098 on: January 19, 2024, 04:49:59 AM »
Lipson argues the Republican nomination is over, and hints at Trump’s strategy moving forward:

How Trump captured his party

DeSantis’s loss in Iowa doomed him. Haley must win New Hampshire and South Carolina to survive

January 18, 2024 | 3:14 pm

Vintage news outlets, with lots of time to kill and space to fill, are desperately trying to say the Republican primary contest is still open. It’s not.

Ron DeSantis’s campaign is already filled with embalming fluid. True, he finished second in Iowa, but that was his most favorable terrain, and he failed to win outright. DeSantis’s basic strategy was to draw away Trump voters by taking strong, socially conservative positions, such as banning abortions after six weeks in Florida. It didn’t convince primary voters. That spells the end for DeSantis nationally because it failed in a state where he spent a lot of time and money and where Republicans are very conservative. To invert the song, “New York, New York,” if he can’t make it there, he can’t make it anywhere.

DeSantis didn’t win a single one of the state’s 100 counties. Trump won ninety-nine, and Nikki Haley captured the remaining one by a single vote. DeSantis claims “he punched his ticket out of Iowa.” He was punched, all right. In the face.

He knows he can’t do well in New Hampshire, where the Republican base is less conservative and Independents can vote in the primary. So he decided to concentrate on the much more conservative state of South Carolina, the home of former governor Nikki Haley. If DeSantis finishes ahead of her there, he would humiliate Haley — but that’s not enough. He has to finish well ahead of Trump, not just ahead of Haley. Polls show DeSantis is far behind the former president in South Carolina. If real-life voters say the same thing, the DeSantis campaign is over. Given Trump’s popularity among Republicans, he’ll be forced to pull out. His own political future dictates that he do so gracefully and endorse Trump.

It’s unclear if the Florida governor ever had a chance, but if he did, it wasn’t by convincing Republicans he was more conservative than the former president, who flipped the Supreme Court, cut regulations and tried to close the border. Equally important, Trump has convinced average Republicans he will fight hard for them, take enormous punishment for doing it and refuse to buckle to establishment pressure.

DeSantis’s best shot — the one he didn’t take — was to say, “I agree with Republican voters on the kind of conservative government we need. I share that vision. The real issue is to put those policies into practice. We can’t let the bureaucrats and Democrats in Congress block us, as they did to Trump. In Florida, I’ve proven I can implement conservative policies. Not just talk about them. Get them enacted. And I’ve proven I can build a solid Republican majority in a state that was purple until I was elected. I can do all that nationally.”

That’s not the platform DeSantis chose for his presidential campaign. He chose to run as “I’m more conservative than Trump.” It wasn’t enough to draw away primary voters from a former president, who rebuilt the party in his image and whose four years in office are remembered fondly by those voters.

What about Haley? She’s not in the morgue, but she’s in the ICU and the hearse is pulling up to the hospital door. To survive, Haley must not only to win in New Hampshire but win convincingly. Then, she has to build on that momentum to secure a big victory in her home state.

New Hampshire is Haley’s best shot, just as Iowa was for DeSantis. Polls in the Granite State show Haley is within shouting distance of Trump. If she closes the gap and wins, even slightly, the media will anoint her. If she goes on to win in South Carolina, they will fill the front pages and cable news with her praise, not because they love her but because they loathe Trump.

If Haley does win in New Hampshire, Trump and DeSantis will slam her victory, saying she won only because Independents can vote in the state’s Republican primary. Actually, that’s Haley’s strongest argument. She will say that Republicans need those votes in November to reclaim the White House and carry down-ballot races. “I’m the best candidate to win those swing voters to our cause,” she will say, “and New Hampshire proves it.” She’s say that even if she loses but carries the Independent vote. Unfortunately for her, that won’t convince most Republicans.

Haley may well be correct that she is the strongest Republican in the general election. But that argument doesn’t persuade primary voters for three reasons. First, there is grave uncertainty about how conservative Haley really is, or, rather, how committed she is to an uncompromising populist agenda when she faces daunting opposition from the Washington establishment and entrenched bureaucrats.

Haley’s stance as the most moderate of the top Republicans has helped her among more educated, higher-income, centrist primary voters. But those are not the party’s majority, and they are certainly not its activist base. Trump reshaped the party in his image, and the median Republican voter is convinced Haley she is closer to Mitch McConnell than to Jim Jordan and James Comer… or to Donald Trump. They’ve been burned before, especially on Supreme Court appointments by Republican presidents. They simply don’t trust Haley to stand up to the formidable, entrenched opposition she would meet if elected.

Second, Haley’s argument for electability would be much compelling if President Biden looked much stronger. He looks weak and beatable. Poll after poll puts Biden’s popularity well below 40 percent and far below that on key issues like border security and the economy. He’s hurt by Hunter Biden’s troubles, too, because an increasing number of voters believe the president himself is corrupt.

Biden’s physical and cognitive problems have also become harder to hide. He’s signaling those troubles by disappearing from public view, refusing to answer questions, and never holding press conferences. Even his short, canned videos reveal the problem. His latest was only twelve seconds. Yet he couldn’t get through it without needing an editing cut, piecing two parts of his extremely brief talk. It’s painful to watch. The idea of a ninety-minute debate with Trump looks like a bridge too far. Biden will try desperately to invent some reason to avoid it. But voters will notice.

Biden’s visible decline raises the prospect that, if he is reelected, Kamala Harris would be sitting in the Oval Office sometime during the next four years. Voters hate, hate, hate that prospect. Time after time, the White House has tried to reintroduce her to the public. And time after time, the public has said, “Please stop.” Still, Biden cannot drop her because he fears it would insult the African-American voters he needs to win. Normally, vice presidential candidates don’t matter much in the general election, even when they are as dreadful as Sarah Palin. This time looks different. Voters have reached a firm conclusion that Harris is unfit to be president. Her presence weakens an already vulnerable ticket.

That weakness undermines Nikki Haley’s main argument, that she is the only Republican who can win the White House. Republican primary voters now believe Trump can win. They could be wrong, of course, but they are surely encouraged by polls in swing states.

Finally, Trump is winning the primaries because he has reshaped his party’s base. His voters are the ones who trampled through snow and ice to vote for him in Iowa. They would walk through tropical storms in the South. Those voters are why he is very likely to win the other contested primaries, although New Hampshire is still in doubt. If Trump does win in New Hampshire, the race is effectively over. Haley should concede then and avoid the embarrassment of losing in her home states. DeSantis may wait until after South Carolina. Both will endorse Trump to preserve their own political futures.

Trump has been aided, quite substantially, by not tweeting (or whatever it is called now) and by not appearing constantly on cable TV. Why? Because much as his fans love it, he conjures up just as much animosity, perhaps more. That’s why Trump’s best shot going into the general election is to make the election all about Biden, not about Trump himself or about a face-to-face comparison. His best campaign slogan would be Ronald Reagan’s in 1980. “Are you better off now than you were four years ago?” That’s an easy argument for him to win.

Trump will drive home that “better off” message and enumerate Biden’s failures. He’ll talk about his record of strong economic growth, low unemployment, rising real wages, a strenuous effort to close the border and the lack of foreign wars during his term. The more he mentions revenge or the 2020 election, the worse he’ll do with Independents.

Biden will stay in the basement and go with his strongest argument: “Trump is a danger to our democracy.” That argument would be far stronger if most Democrats didn’t want to keep Trump off the ballot and blue states weren’t trying to do it. Centrist Independents may not be too happy about Trump, but they can’t be convinced you favor democracy if you want to keep your main opponent off the ballot and throw him in jail.

As the race stands now, Trump has effectively captured the nomination and reshaped the party in his image. He will run on a record that many Independent voters think is stronger than President Biden’s.

It’s a long way until November. But it’s even longer if you are a frail eighty-one-year-old incumbent with dismal poll numbers.

By
Charles Lipson

Charles Lipson is the Peter B. Ritzma professor of political science emeritus at the University of Chicago, where he founded the Program on International Politics, Economics and Security, and a Spectator contributing writer.

https://thespectator.com/politics/donald-trump-captured-republican-party-primaries/?fbclid=IwAR0RaGhb5MLEfzwDju9ngqrHrr5_SwkX-wC0tth2LsHY5i3JuVF-4uuWgME

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: January 19, 2024, 06:57:10 AM »
" As the race stands now, Trump has effectively captured the nomination and reshaped the party in his image. He will run on a record that many Independent voters think is stronger than President Biden’s."

I prefer to say he filled a void within the Republican Party rather then shaped it.
Or he won us over with  the hopes, dreams, values we all had (the conservatives) that no one else would take on.

The RINO's were really not representing us.
We existed long before Trump and he became our spokesperson.
A spokesperson we were craving would come along for 30 yrs.
But alas,
We need more than just him.
We barely have the Congress which could change in a yr.
We still have big problems in Mitch McConnell's Senate and no majority yet to boot.
Thank God for now, as we have a Conservative majority in the Supreme Court.

If we can get more people to wake up and see the light like Jamie Dimon......