Author Topic: President Trump  (Read 433695 times)

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: FEd asking Trump to stop asking countries and my confession
« Reply #1700 on: October 04, 2019, 09:29:10 AM »
to help HIM politically
and frankly I agree:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/after-trump-solicits-biden-investigations-from-china-and-ukraine-fec-chair-post-reminder-that-doing-so-is-illegal-193941937.html

I wish he would stop doing this .  It IS really bad...

My two cents:  The corruption being investigated is not solely or mostly about campaign finance laws and those laws do not supersede constitutional authority vested in the President.

Millions to the VP family with no visible work done is okay?  Where was the FEC investigation on this? [No jurisdiction.]  Where were they on the Steele Dossier??  [No interest.]  Where were they when the Democrat operatives in the Obama administration FISA team went after opposition candidate Trump?  Where were they when Obama IRS went after all political opposition groups?  Where were they when Loretta Lynch met with HRC family during an ongoing investigation?  When Comey cleared Hillary without investigating?  Or when FBI allowed refusal of a DNC server under search warrant?  Biden and little Biden weren't running for anything in 2015.  What jurisdiction does "Federal Elections Commission" have over general corruption?

FEC isn't the main agency much less the gold standard on corruption.

The "crowdstrike" question isn't about Biden or jr. Biden and he wasn't running for office when he got the prosecutor fired.

Ukraine is a center for cyber hacking.  This administration's investigations might benefit all of us if we wait and get through the derangement.
---------------------
From Wikipedia,
"The Federal Election Commission (FEC) is an independent regulatory agency whose purpose is to enforce campaign finance law in United States federal elections. Created in 1974 through amendments to the Federal Election Campaign Act, the commission describes its duties as "to disclose campaign finance information, to enforce the provisions of the law such as the limits and prohibitions on contributions, and to oversee the public funding of presidential elections."

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
President Trump - Rally in Minneapolis OCT 10
« Reply #1701 on: October 04, 2019, 10:03:21 AM »
I have 1 (or 2) extra tickets if anyone wants to go.
Thurs Oct 10 7pm at Target Center.
Don't be surprised if this gets moved to US Bank stadium if oversold.
Just so it stays in Rep. Omar's district.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: President Trump
« Reply #1702 on: October 04, 2019, 11:50:37 AM »
If I were a wealthy man I would fly in for this!

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: FEd asking Trump to stop asking countries and my confession
« Reply #1703 on: October 04, 2019, 06:08:26 PM »
Many people don't understand the game being played by Trump. Do you think China is actually going to help disclose the Slow Joe bribes it laundered through Snorty Biden?

to help HIM politically
and frankly I agree:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/after-trump-solicits-biden-investigations-from-china-and-ukraine-fec-chair-post-reminder-that-doing-so-is-illegal-193941937.html

I wish he would stop doing this .  It IS really bad . To think he is asking communist china to help him politically IS beyond the pale.
China for sure is already dreaming of ways to use this to its' advantage
If a Democrat pres was doing this we would be going nuts

My confession:
Sorry but Trump is going crazy.
If he would only shut the hell up .
I am sick of hearing his drama daily.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: October 04, 2019, 07:21:19 PM »
My initial reaction is that this was quite poorly played by the President.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: October 04, 2019, 07:34:22 PM »
My initial reaction is that this was quite poorly played by the President.

Trump is hacking and hijacking the left's propaganda machine. Remember, most of the public doesn't read news articles beyond the headlines. By connecting Ukraine and China, Trump is pushing the pay for play corruption into the public's awareness.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: October 04, 2019, 07:39:30 PM »
I get that, but asking the "Chinese Commies" for help unnecessarily sits poorly with many people.  Got to be a better way to make the point!!!

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: October 04, 2019, 07:50:41 PM »
I get that, but asking the "Chinese Commies" for help unnecessarily sits poorly with many people.  Got to be a better way to make the point!!!

How would you have phrased it?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: October 04, 2019, 07:57:35 PM »
"Could the $1.5 Billion have had something to do with Obama's flacidity as the Chinese blew off the international court and undertook conquest of the South China Sea?"

Something like that , , ,

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: October 04, 2019, 08:06:54 PM »
"Could the $1.5 Billion have had something to do with Obama's flacidity as the Chinese blew off the international court and undertook conquest of the South China Sea?"

Something like that , , ,

That would have been ignored.

Unless it prompts hair on fire screaming, they suppress it.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: October 04, 2019, 08:08:00 PM »
Calling Obama flacid would have been ignored?

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: October 04, 2019, 08:18:46 PM »
Calling Obama flacid would have been ignored?

Many of the people you are trying to reach don't know that word.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: October 04, 2019, 08:37:44 PM »
OK, how about "limp"? :-D

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: October 04, 2019, 08:46:22 PM »
OK, how about "limp"? :-D

Must generate irrational outrage in the DNC-MSM to have a chance of getting eyeballs.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: October 05, 2019, 08:53:04 AM »
Asking a purported ally for help (Ukraine) is different from asking our number one geopolitical foe for help.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Spell check
« Reply #1715 on: October 05, 2019, 09:43:42 AM »
Flaccid has two not one "c"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flaccid

I am expert on this since I treat ED.

:-D

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: October 05, 2019, 09:53:22 AM »
Asking a purported ally for help (Ukraine) is different from asking our number one geopolitical foe for help.

Why? It's a common practice. The US and China have worked together on criminal cases that involved both countries.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
as for china and Ukraine
« Reply #1717 on: October 05, 2019, 09:55:56 AM »
it DOES look bad when he asks China to do this in the middle of trade war.

and as far as Ukraine Trump would not be impeached if he had asked for help without the at least appearance of using 400 million approved funds to be held up just shortly before

now he will be impeached for effectively doing what he just got out of with the Mueller report

as for Biden , he was done even before all this IMHO.

To me this is not indicative of calculation .  it is more of impulsiveness.

Is someone going to say he had these conversations knowing people are listening , hoping CIA would in a historic first puplicize them so he could get the MSM conversation to focus on Biden.

NO way

This was just stupid impulsive childish I am going to "f" the Left behavior and the Intelligence people found a way through the whistle blower laws to make this public since they have been out to get Trump for 4 yrs now.

Any way he will be impeached and hopefully the Repubs will stand strong and vote against it in the Senate and Trump can still win.
Will it backfire on the Dems?

I am nost so sure . Clinton continued to carry on the "business" of the American people
he did not go around daily throwing bombs.

OTOH Trump is on the right side of the policy debates.

So I don't know anymore than anyone else.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: October 05, 2019, 10:01:09 AM »

Why? It's a common practice. The US and China have worked together on criminal cases that involved both countries.

Good points.  I would just add that China is both a friend/pretend-friend and a foe/enemy.  They can cooperate on things that win them favor with us and cost them nothing right while they oppose us on something else for no good reason and steal form us, arm and prepare for war against us.  The relationship is way more complicated than seeing them as either a friend or a foe.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: October 05, 2019, 10:15:41 AM »
"Flaccid has two not one "c"'

So noted!  :oops:

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: October 05, 2019, 04:47:09 PM »

Good points.  I would just add that China is both a friend/pretend-friend and a foe/enemy.  They can cooperate on things that win them favor with us and cost them nothing right while they oppose us on something else for no good reason and steal form us, arm and prepare for war against us.  The relationship is way more complicated than seeing them as either a friend or a foe.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/04/sorry-dems-its-ok-to-ask-for-foreign-help-in-a-criminal-justice-investigation/

Sorry, Dems: It’s OK to ask for foreign help in a criminal justice investigation
By Marc Thiessen October 4, 2019 | 7:58pm | Updated
Enlarge Image
President Donald Trump
President Donald Trump Getty Images
MORE ON:
DONALD TRUMP
'I’m not gonna respond to that': Biden snaps at reporter
AOC dubs Trump an anti-Semite for attacks on Schiff
Family pleads with Trump to return US diplomat's wife after fatal crash
Trump orders new national security adviser to cut staff: report
President Trump’s critics are now complaining that he asked the Australian prime minister to cooperate with the Justice Department’s investigation into the origins of the Mueller probe and that Attorney General William Barr has traveled overseas to ask foreign intelligence officials to cooperate with that investigation. The New York Times called it another example of “the president using high-level diplomacy to advance his personal political interests.”

No, it’s not. The president’s critics are conflating two different things: the investigation by Trump’s private lawyer, Rudolph Giuliani, into Hunter Biden’s business dealings, and the inquiry by US Attorney John Durham into the counterintelligence investigation directed at the Trump campaign during the 2016 election. The former is opposition research activity; the latter is a criminal justice matter.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking foreign heads of state or intelligence officials to cooperate with an official Justice Department investigation.

As George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley explains, “It is not uncommon for an attorney general, or even a president, to ask foreign leaders to assist with ongoing investigations. Such calls can shortcut bureaucratic red tape, particularly if the evidence is held, as in this case, by national security or justice officials.”

Americans support the Durham probe. For two years, they were told by Trump’s opponents that the president was “working on behalf of the Russians” and had committed “treasonous” acts that were of “a size and scope probably beyond Watergate.” Those were serious accusations, and Americans took them seriously. They waited for special counsel Robert Mueller to tell them whether the president had indeed betrayed the country.

Then Mueller issued his report, and they found out that none of it was true. They understandably wanted answers. How did it come to pass that our government was paralyzed for two years and spent tens of millions of their tax dollars, chasing a Trump-Russia collusion-conspiracy theory?

A Harvard CAPS-Harris Poll following the Mueller report’s release found that 53% of Americans said that “bias against President Trump in the FBI played a role in launching investigations against him,” and 62% supported appointing a special counsel to investigate the investigation of Trump.

SEE ALSO

Dems, media aim to squash Barr’s probe of Russia collusion hoax
Instead of a special counsel, Barr appointed Durham, a career prosecutor, to lead the investigation. Durham is a man of unimpeachable character who was appointed by Obama administration Attorney General Eric Holder to investigate the CIA’s terrorist-interrogation program. At the conclusion of that probe, Holder praised Durham for working “tirelessly.”

Now Barr has asked Durham to bring the same tireless professionalism to his investigation into the origins of the Mueller probe. But suddenly, all those who were so eager to find out what happened in 2016 when they thought Mueller would reveal that Trump conspired with the Russians have lost interest.

The same people who were outraged at Trump’s efforts to discredit the Mueller probe are now doing the exact same thing to the Durham probe.

Back then, Democrats insisted Trump stop criticizing the investigation and “let Mueller follow the facts wherever they lead.” Now they need to heed their own advice: Stop criticizing the investigation. Let Durham follow the facts wherever they lead. If there was no wrongdoing, then there is nothing to worry about.

To be sure, Trump bears some responsibility for helping Democrats lump together Durham’s official investigation with Giuliani’s partisan activities by mentioning them both on the call with Ukraine’s president. There should be a firewall between the two inquiries.

But keep in mind, it was the Democrats who told us there is nothing wrong or illegal with a presidential candidate hiring a private lawyer to conduct opposition research in a foreign country on their political opponents. After it emerged that the Clinton campaign and the DNC had paid Christopher Steele to dig up dirt in Russia on Trump, the Democrats’ defense was: That’s just opposition research. Everyone does it.

Durham is no partisan actor. Despite political pressure, he cleared the CIA of wrongdoing during the Obama administration. Like Mueller, he will follow the facts wherever they lead. Maybe that is why so many Democrats are up in arms.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: October 10, 2019, 09:05:37 AM »
Doug,
How was the event last night?
did not see it on cable unless I missed it.

It is tonight.  Not sure yet if I will go.  Roads are closing and buses diverted.  I would feel more comfortable parking and walking through Antifa 'demonstrators' downtown Minneapolis if was between Crafty and Bigdog, with G M in the group and a little bit of concealed carry (AR15?)going on.  And maybe ccp to stitch me up if anything goes wrong, like the last time I walked where I wasn't welcome.  I should have gotten more tickets.

I wonder if local Represent Ilhan Omar's name will come up.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: October 10, 2019, 10:23:27 AM »
If only Minneapolis had some sort of government agency empowered to protect the citizens and public order and a mandate to enforce the law...

Doug,
How was the event last night?
did not see it on cable unless I missed it.

It is tonight.  Not sure yet if I will go.  Roads are closing and buses diverted.  I would feel more comfortable parking and walking through Antifa 'demonstrators' downtown Minneapolis if was between Crafty and Bigdog, with G M in the group and a little bit of concealed carry (AR15?)going on.  And maybe ccp to stitch me up if anything goes wrong, like the last time I walked where I wasn't welcome.  I should have gotten more tickets.

I wonder if local Represent Ilhan Omar's name will come up.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: October 10, 2019, 12:54:47 PM »
quote author=G M
If only Minneapolis had some sort of government agency empowered to protect the citizens and public order and a mandate to enforce the law...
--------------------------------

Ha! Unfortunately they feel more secure in their squad cars where they can shoot if you approach than walking the beat.  We'll see.  If they want a half million for one event of security, they better provide some.

It would help if we didn't have a state attorney general, Keith Ellison, make his rise to power by calling for more street violence in Minneapolis.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Donald DOES Minneapolis !
« Reply #1724 on: October 11, 2019, 06:25:50 AM »
heard part of Trump last night on Fox

he was great
enormous presentation and talent for all to behold.

spoke about making and keeping America great

Then I switch over to CNNs "townhall" and see whiny gays trans etc
bitching about gay adoption, endlessly about their perceived persecution and calling for laws against "conversion therapy"
rights and the usual leftist identity politics bull shit
and am thinking is this what most Americans give a freakin shit about now?

Why cannot gays trans etc be Americans instead for gays trans etc.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: President Trump, Minneapolis Rally
« Reply #1725 on: October 11, 2019, 06:50:55 AM »
Yes Great speech.

Full Video:  (it's long)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT3O5WFYUxo

[I didn't go.]

He is like no other politician in our time.  Just talks to the people and says what he wants to say. 

The theme at the start is perfect.  "We're going to win  Minnesota".

He's serious and that's big deal.  MN has the longest run of any state of not going for a Republican, the only state Reagan never carried.  Trump flipped Wisc, Mich, Iowa and almost MN.  He's way more qualified and capable now than he was entering office the first time.  If he carries MN, it means he's got the rest of the region and probably the election.

At about 42:30 he goes after 'Minnesota's own representative 'Illian' Omar'.  He went after her up, down and sideways, very specific on facts.  He went down the list and nailed her record perfectly.  Most of all, he framed the race as running against her, then tied her to AOC and tied all of them to the party and he says we will beat them.  Next he will tie the eventual nominee to them.

Trump singles out Scott Johnson from Powerline in the Twin Cites as a person who has done the work of bringing our the story on Omar.  Many of his posts are here on the forum.

He wrapped himself around law enforcement and the police, in stark contrast to his opponents, a great issue for him.  He benefited from the latest controversy about cops not being able to attend in uniform.

Very inspiring,  Very substantive.  He closes with explicit optimism, "the best is yet to come".  [You never hear the doom and gloom side say that.]

Here is the other side: Protesters screaming in the dark in front of a fire burning Trump stuff.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/10/10/anti-trump_protesters_burn_red_trump_hats_outside_rally_in_minnesota_yell_fck_you_at_police.html
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 07:14:54 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: October 11, 2019, 10:38:19 AM »
Though he wandered a bit in the middle, overall I watched with a big smile on my face.

PS:  He needs to work on his explanation of the Syrian Kurds-Turkey decision.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 10:53:36 AM by Crafty_Dog »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: here we go again
« Reply #1728 on: October 13, 2019, 10:06:27 AM »
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/465249-trump-attacks-sessions-a-total-disaster-and-an-embarrassment-to-the

Most open administration ever - he just puts it all out there whether you like it or not.  It's hard to see a reason to dwell on it now but it did cost him 2 1/2 years out of his first 4 and it cost him / us the House.  Session's recusal, from the Trump administration's point of view, was a self inflicted wound.  This was Trump's biggest regret.  Everyone says they want him to admit his mistakes. There it is.  Does anyone else admit theirs?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: October 17, 2019, 09:14:12 PM »
The claim is that it is cheaper, and a more suitable facility, e.g. with separate building for each country.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: President Trump, G7 at Trump Doral
« Reply #1731 on: October 18, 2019, 08:35:56 AM »
how plainly obnoxious:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-has-awarded-next-years-g-7-summit-of-world-leaders-to-his-miami-area-resort-the-white-house-said/2019/10/17/221b32d6-ef52-11e9-89eb-ec56cd414732_story.html :x

could he just stop making everything worse!

I thought Mulvaney was spoofing the reporters when I heard it.  Is this the latest,  shiny, in your face, object to taunt the press and the opponents (I repeat)? Then I thought he will back off of this, just using it to throw everyone off balance.  But people make plans on announcements like this.

A team looked at 12 venues in 10 states for security and all the other factors.  They won't say what the other sites were.  I'm not sure they will say who the team was.  More to come, no doubt.  Last time they used Camp David and it was judged by all to be inadequate.  Other sites were twice the price or unavailable.

He did not fear the emoluments argument before this decision because, he says,he is losing money for being President, the opposite of  profiting from it.  The resort will do this "at cost", whatever that means.  If true, by narrow definition, that negates the gift/payment argument.  Doing this 'at cost' makes this an accounting and billing issue, not an impeachment article.  Like Mulvaney said, the brand issue is a little silly, especially made by people who say his family company name in every sentence.

I have a feeling his is right; this will save the taxpayers and the visitors a boatload of money over alternatives.  Which opponent or House committee is going to do the work of finding where they could have hosted it better for less and the difference is what Trump cost the taxpayers?

This all happened on the day of the Turkey-Syria cease fire, the Mulvaney Ukraine aid money quid pro quo (non-)admission, the big Trump Dallas rally, and the day Elijah Cummings died.  Slow news day?  Like ccp, my first reaction was obnoxious, unnecessary, Brazen.  Now I'm starting to find it humorous.  While they are arguing about venue and room costs, he will negotiating the top issues of our time with the top leaders in the world.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: October 18, 2019, 08:46:35 AM »
"Which opponent or House committee is going to do the work of finding where they could have hosted it better for less and the difference is what Trump cost the taxpayers?"

The Southern (NYState Democratic Party )District of NY

stinking schyster lawyers.... 

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Even PJ Media
« Reply #1734 on: October 20, 2019, 08:45:24 AM »
reaching the breaking point:

https://pjmedia.com/trending/trump-says-his-doral-resort-will-no-longer-host-g-7-summit/

I think Trump did cross the Rubicon.

The only hope is the voters won't turn to Warren
The media has not yet embraced her.

The declared winner goes is back to Booti as they go from one candidate to the other trying to figure out who is best to beat Trump.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Even PJ Media
« Reply #1735 on: October 20, 2019, 11:07:13 AM »
reaching the breaking point:

https://pjmedia.com/trending/trump-says-his-doral-resort-will-no-longer-host-g-7-summit/

I think Trump did cross the Rubicon.

The only hope is the voters won't turn to Warren
The media has not yet embraced her.

The declared winner goes is back to Booti as they go from one candidate to the other trying to figure out who is best to beat Trump.

Maybe he was talked out of this by opponents, critics, media, lawyers and advisers and maybe the whole thing was a shiny object, chase this, head fake.

It sounded so outrageous it was humorous.  None of the opponents could quite say it was impeachable, but maybe they wanted him to go ahead with it so they could accuse that.  Now maybe the joke is on them.  If it was true, he can just say he could have saved the taxpayers millions for better facilities, Provided at cost because of the emoluments clause, but who needs the distraction with new European borders to draw up and NATO treaties to rewrite.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: President Trump - Indecorous
« Reply #1737 on: October 24, 2019, 07:08:38 AM »
Frankly he can't be defended anymore
from my point of view
But I will support him against any Democrat but reluctantly.....
I am tired of this daily stupid tit for stupid tat.

"Being decorous is not the president’s strong suit at the best of times"
   - Conrad Black
https://amgreatness.com/2019/10/22/impeachment-will-fail/

AlanTuring, The imitation Game - "Indecorous"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVmffsRTc3o

Trump is indecorous.  "But I will support him against any Democrat..."

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
indecorus
« Reply #1738 on: October 24, 2019, 07:44:19 AM »
Conrad Black reminds me of VDH with their talents for description , observation , summary , and insight

His use of the word "indecorus" is an exquisitely "decorus" description of Donald Trump.

I would have called Trump an abomination.
 but that perhaps has somewhat of a religious inference to it which would not be precise.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: indecorus
« Reply #1739 on: October 24, 2019, 08:56:28 AM »
Yes, it's a nice way of saying the same thing.  Trump says it and everyone squirms.  Couple of days go by and we mostly move on.  Meanwhile he remains the twitter and news magnet - champion of the world, while Paul Ryan, George Bush, Kasich, Sasse, Weld and the rest can't draw a crowd or get a message out, relying on the MSM or their own boring position papers that no one reads. 

Someone compared to the Dem debates to nascar, people secretly watch to see a crackup.  Same with Trump.  What he says and how he says it draws attention, like it or not.  But much of the time, he is holding the laser pointer and the media are chasing it like cats.
-----
"What Biden may lack in crowd size is made up for in ..."  What??
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/warren-s-big-rallies-biden-s-smaller-events-what-crowd-n1057371

Biden would book the Superdome if he could fill it.  Trump probably will.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: President Trump, LYNCHING OMG
« Reply #1740 on: October 24, 2019, 09:40:49 AM »
I knew if we waited patiently this would come out:

10 Politicians Who Used 'Lynching' the Way Trump Did, and the Left Didn't Care
https://pjmedia.com/trending/10-politicians-who-used-lynching-the-way-trump-did-and-the-left-didnt-care/

Joe Biden in 1998:
"Even if the President should be impeached, history is going to question whether or not this was just a partisan lynching..."

"We shouldn’t participate in a lynch mob against the president," Jerry Nadler Sept. 13, 1998.

“It’s a verbal political lynching on the floor of the Senate.”
  - Sen John Kerry, 1998
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk5ScZoSA_k

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: President Trump, LYNCHING OMG
« Reply #1741 on: October 24, 2019, 03:57:45 PM »
It's totally different because ORANGE MAN BAD!

I knew if we waited patiently this would come out:

10 Politicians Who Used 'Lynching' the Way Trump Did, and the Left Didn't Care
https://pjmedia.com/trending/10-politicians-who-used-lynching-the-way-trump-did-and-the-left-didnt-care/

Joe Biden in 1998:
"Even if the President should be impeached, history is going to question whether or not this was just a partisan lynching..."

"We shouldn’t participate in a lynch mob against the president," Jerry Nadler Sept. 13, 1998.

“It’s a verbal political lynching on the floor of the Senate.”
  - Sen John Kerry, 1998
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk5ScZoSA_k

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
President Trump, majority agrees with what he is doing
« Reply #1743 on: November 05, 2019, 06:39:50 AM »
America agrees with ccp, and all of us.

"A majority of the public like what Donald Trump is doing and a majority of the public don’t like what he’s saying"
  Frank Luntz

Well, if those are the choices — nice words but bad policies, or the other way around — which do you prefer?
   Stephen Green at Instapundit

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: November 05, 2019, 07:16:06 AM »
I thought he was in rockin' good form last night in Kentucky, even eloquent here and there.   A lot can happen in a year, but I would not rule out a landslide victory.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Parallel Lives of President Trump
« Reply #1746 on: November 07, 2019, 03:09:46 AM »
Parallel Lives of Donald Trump
If Plutarch studied American presidents, to which would he compare and contrast the 45th?
By Lance Morrow
Nov. 6, 2019 6:57 pm ET

Plutarch and Donald Trump. PHOTO: ADOC-PHOTOS/CORBIS VIA GETTY IMAGES; OLIVIER DOULIERY/AFP VIA GETTY IMAGES
Harry S. Truman kept a set of Plutarch’s writings at hand in the White House. He said that in Plutarch’s “Parallel Lives,” he could find everything worth knowing about leaders—how they behave, what makes them tick.

In the “Lives,” Plutarch (A.D. 47-120) would compare a famous Greek to a famous Roman—setting Alexander the Great, for example, next to Julius Caesar, or Demosthenes beside Cicero. It was moral portraiture; Plutarch had a genius for details. He believed that a trivial detail can reveal a man more profoundly than a great event. Cicero, for example, became alert to an unexpected subtlety of Julius Caesar’s character after noticing, one day in the Senate, the way he adjusted his forelock with one finger.

Suppose Plutarch undertook to write one of his “Parallel Lives” on the subject of Donald Trump. If Plutarch were to study the biographies of the previous American presidents, to which of them would he compare the 45th?

Like Franklin D. Roosevelt, Mr. Trump is an illusionist. Like FDR, Mr. Trump has boundless confidence in himself. Like FDR, Mr. Trump has been known to lie. Unlike Roosevelt, Mr. Trump is a businessman. (FDR failed in his minor efforts at business investment during the 1920s.) Roosevelt undertook to make America great again by mobilizing the federal government against the “economic royalists” in a great depression; Mr. Trump wants to accomplish the same goal by demobilizing the regulators and resisting the cultural autocracy of the left.

Mr. Trump is best understood as a businessman and a performer. If you analyze him at the intersection of those two identities, you begin to understand him. As an actor on the world stage, his favorite role is a version of Stanley Kowalski.

Like Calvin Coolidge, Mr. Trump believes that the primary business of America is business. Like Truman, Mr. Trump has presided over businesses that failed. Unlike Coolidge, who was famously laconic, Mr. Trump is noisy.

Another Bad Election Day for Republicans in the Suburbs

SUBSCRIBE
Unlike Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson, Mr. Trump does not read books. In that he resembles Lyndon B. Johnson and Franklin Roosevelt, both of whom preferred to gather information in conversation, face-to-face or on the telephone. Dwight D. Eisenhower read Zane Gray westerns to help him fall asleep.

LBJ liked to have three television sets going so that he could monitor the major networks simultaneously; Mr. Trump watches Fox News.

Plutarch, in a pairing of opposites, might have explored the contrast between Mr. Trump and Jimmy Carter —Mr. Carter hammering away for Habitat for Humanity, Mr. Trump putting up Trump Towers.

Mr. Trump’s enemies consider him a monster of racism. He claims to be “the least racist man who ever lived.” Twelve American presidents, starting with George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, owned slaves. Wilson was assuredly a racist. In early 1933, President-elect Roosevelt visited the state capitol in Montgomery, Ala., where Jefferson Davis had taken the oath of office as president of the Confederacy; FDR referred to it as “this sacred spot.” Truman and LBJ routinely used the N-word before they got to the White House. Yet Truman racially integrated the armed forces and Johnson told Congress “we shall overcome” as he pushed through the greatest civil rights acts in American history.

Like Julius Caesar, Mr. Trump is fussy about his hair. Unlike any other president, Mr. Trump has been married three times. ( Ronald Reagan was divorced once, and five other presidents remarried after their first wives died.) Like John F. Kennedy and Bill Clinton, Mr. Trump has a history of womanizing and marital infidelity.

In a famous remark, Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. described FDR as a man with “a second-class intellect but a first-class temperament.” (The story was told secondhand, and some thought that the aged Justice Holmes was referring to the earlier Roosevelt, Teddy, whom he had also known). In fact, FDR had a first-class intellect. So, notably, did Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Wilson and (as a manager if not as a philosopher) Eisenhower. Mr. Trump has described himself as a “very stable genius.” On that, the jury is deadlocked. Intellectuals tend to despise Mr. Trump. They also dismissed Eisenhower and Reagan as dunces.

Edward Gibbon, author of “The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire,” summarized a half-dozen early emperors as follows: “the dark, unrelenting Tiberius, the furious Caligula, the stupid Claudius, the profligate and cruel Nero, the beastly Vitellius, and the timid inhuman Domitian. ”

Think of how one might compile a similar list of modern presidents: “the glamorous, amoral Kennedy; the Machiavellian, self-destructive Johnson; the saturnine Nixon; the touchingly decent Ford; the fussy weakling Carter.”

Plutarch or Gibbon would likely have loved to write about Donald Trump and his headlong, unfiltered singularity. Would they have entertained (before rejecting it) the theory that Mr. Trump’s apparently fantastic ego is mere performance, mere misdirection? That all of the Trumpian ego is an act that has served to get and keep the world’s attention, that has gotten him elected president, and allowed him to disarm his enemies, in part by reducing them to incoherent rage and hatred?

Whether he has deployed it consciously or simply cannot help himself, his personality has taken him far in an unhappy, disrupted land. It is also about to get him impeached.

Mr. Morrow is a senior fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: November 07, 2019, 04:29:42 AM »
Very interesting comparisons

"In a famous remark, Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. described FDR as a man with “a second-class intellect but a first-class temperament.” (The story was told secondhand, and some thought that the aged Justice Holmes was referring to the earlier Roosevelt, Teddy, whom he had also known). "

After reading a condensed bio on Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr I would think also he was referring to Teddy not Franklin.
Teddy tried to influence at least some of his Court decisions and was pissed when his smooching did not work.

I notice there are no mentions of Barack the Great or any comparisons to DJT......

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Impeachment backlash, President Trump Approval Surge
« Reply #1748 on: November 22, 2019, 08:38:42 AM »
https://emersonpolling.reportablenews.com/pr/november-national-poll-support-for-impeachment-declines-biden-and-sanders-lead-democratic-primary
A new Emerson poll finds President Trump’s approval has increased in the last month with 48% approval and 47% disapproval, a bounce from 43% approval in the last Emerson National poll in October.

This changes everything.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
A trip down memory lane
« Reply #1749 on: November 22, 2019, 09:21:00 AM »
This is what President Trump faced upon assuming office:

https://www.lawfareblog.com/burden-donald-trump