Author Topic: Anti-semitism & Jews  (Read 387051 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
ERic Adams finally steps up !
« Reply #952 on: October 14, 2023, 10:15:02 PM »
I have to admit I appreciated Mayor Adams

taking the line right out of the movie Pulp Fiction :

"We are NOT alright!"

In movie it was "I am NOT alright", but certainly sounded that was the model he used.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/kevindowneyjr/2023/10/14/eric-adams-finally-grows-a-pair-says-hamas-must-be-destroyed-completely-n1735123

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
About that Apartheid Rubbish
« Reply #953 on: October 15, 2023, 12:35:08 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Allah Sachs
« Reply #956 on: October 17, 2023, 01:25:30 PM »
I have mentioned my friend Allah here before in the context of her uncommon background with regards to Ukraine and Russia and what the Uke War looks like to her.

Here she is in the context of her job as a teacher in the NYC area.

She has just told me that the principal has told her to take down from her classroom an Israeli flag because, unlike gay-trans flags and Uke flags, it is too divisive. 

====================
With her permission I quote:

Sadly this is what comes up if you Google mine name. There are many lies in the article bc the district did not call the police. I DID.  They didn't want to do shit.  Then they promised a bunch of stuff but covid started and this was forgotten.

But then last March I had another swastika.  This time I kept my name out of the media and my students were interviewed. They came to me telling me what they have been going through.  All the bullying.  So, my friends and I leaked it on the local parent FB.  And then it ended up in the news again. It was a long saga and a lot of lying on the part of my dumb principal but then I went to the superintendent and he seemed supportive.   He came and met with the kids. Realized what a dumbass my principal is.

Even now, I don't think the school would have even said anything, but I emailed the super right after the attack and said he needs to acknowledge it bc we have a lot of Jewish kids in the community.

So a few teachers and I asked to wear blue on Friday to support Israel.  Principal said yes if it's organized by my club.  So we did and got very positive feedback from everyone.  Then yesterday she sends an email saying that there were complaints about wearing blue and that we can't take sides.

"She also took down from my Jewish friends classroom door this image  (Israeli flag meme saying "Stand with Israel against terrorism")

She said the Jewish star was divisive and offensive to some ppl and that there is no room for politics and religion in school.  And she said it came from the central district office woman named Julie. So what I sent you. I sent to this Julie (who by the way is Jewish)

Our plan now is to leak this on the parent FB again. So all those parents who said they were so grateful for support will not be pissed.

I'm going to contact the local media again.  Last year I also called the ADL so I will do that again.

Bc now it seems to be a systematic mishandling of anything that is directed against Jews.

And there is the hypocrasy of having a Ukranian flag and Rainbow flags in every room.

We don't have the Ukranian flags now. But when it happened our Union even sold t-shirts with blue and yellow and ppl wore ribbons

But the LGBTQ stuff has their own club. Their own therapist.  They even led "training" for us teachers on how to properly treat them.  Students lecturing teachers at a faculty meeting! Disgusting.

But wearing blue for Israel or writing letter of support to Israeli high school students or collecting supplies for ppl who lost their homes that's too political.   

I'm livid!

We don't have freedom of speech or expression in school so I can't use that legal recourse.  (MARC:  It is a public HS) But I think we need to see what we can do legally bc there is definitely a double standard.

=========
Ha that Julie lady replied immediately that she wants to talk on the phone with me.   Thank God for tenure!  Lol

« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 01:55:23 PM by Crafty_Dog »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
where ever they go around the World they bring their Jew hatred with them
« Reply #957 on: October 19, 2023, 09:01:29 AM »
In Spain, the country that made 1492 famous for 2 reasons:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/horrific-night-in-synagogue-people-were-praying-when-the-demonstrators-attacked/ar-AA1ivTyL?ocid=msedgntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=89222689980a4eb6aacd00b49f153805&ei=12

Christians are more safe because there are more of them than Muslims.

Otherwise they would be on the list too.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Greta Thunberg
« Reply #959 on: October 20, 2023, 11:29:54 AM »
https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2023/10/20/greta-thunberg-calls-for-israel-hamas-ceasefire-begins-strike-in-solidarity-with-palestine-and-gaza/

There was a time I thought she was cute though a total illogical zealot for Climate change.

I don't find her cute anymore.

Stop blaming Jews!  Where is the protest to Hamas and the rest of the radical terrorrists.

:x

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
I am endlessly seeing Palestinians demand we hear their side
« Reply #960 on: October 20, 2023, 12:26:16 PM »
but we do hear their side

they all hate Jews , hate the US

they want of Israel and kick the Jews out .

THAT is all I ever hear from them.

I have yet to hear any of them call for 2 states and absolute call for peace, stop the terrorism, recognize Israel or call out Hamas etc.

NEVER

so the answer is war. what do they expect.

we are dealing with zealot nuts.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
meghan McCain
« Reply #962 on: October 21, 2023, 08:45:58 AM »
On her alma matter Columbia Univ.:

It can go to hell.

https://nypost.com/2023/10/21/meghan-mccain-slams-columbia-university-for-israel-hamas-stance/

she needs to read Yeonmi Park's book.

When a N Korean escapes to the US and is thrilled to get into an IVY only to be disillusioned to the point she is bewildered that she comes to the US and finds as much BS propaganda here as in the N Korea, and cannot understand why American students hate America even more than the Norks a patriot can conclude " Houston we got a problem!"

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-semitism & Jews
« Reply #963 on: October 21, 2023, 01:53:36 PM »
I feel the same about Columbia, and my undergrad U. of PA too!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
voice of Muslim reason
« Reply #966 on: October 22, 2023, 11:13:12 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/zainab-khan-i-m-appalled-by-the-muslim-american-response-to-war-in-israel/vi-AA1iCejS?ocid=msedgntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=b6706ba01ed0463683a738ed606bcdce&ei=7

hard to know how many Muslims think this way vs the opposite

like hard to know how many Chinese in US are on our side vs CCP

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: October 22, 2023, 03:55:00 PM »
I noticed they introduced her as the "co-founder" of the Muslim American Leadership Alliance.

https://malanational.org/
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 03:58:07 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Thomas Sowell on Anti-semitism & Jews
« Reply #968 on: October 23, 2023, 06:49:33 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Powerful Atlantic article
« Reply #971 on: October 25, 2023, 06:39:44 AM »
A Record Of Pure, Predatory Sadism
THE ATLANTIC - GRAEME
MONDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2023

This afternoon, at a military base north of Tel Aviv, the Israel Defense Forces held a grisly matinee screening of 43 minutes
of raw footage from Hamas's October 7 attack. Members of the press were invited, but cameras were not allowed. Hamas had
the opposite policy on cameras during the attack, which it documented gleefully with its fighters' body cams and mobile
phones. Some of the clips had been circulating already on social media in truncated or expurgated form, with the footage decorously stopped just before beheadings and moments of death. After having seen them both in raw and trimmed forms, I can endorse the decision to trim those clips. I certainly hope I never see any of the extra footage again.

It was, as IDF Major General Mickey Edelstein told the press afterward, "a very sad movie." Men, women, and children are shot, blown up, hunted, tortured, burned, and generally murdered in any horrible manner you could predict, and some that you might not. The terrorists surround a Thai man they have shot in the gut, then bicker about what to do next. (About 30,000 Thais live in Israel, many of them farmworkers.) "Give me a knife!" one Hamas terrorist shouts. Instead he finds a garden hoe, and he swings at the man's throat, taking thwack after thwack. The audience gasped.
I heard someone heave a little at another scene, this one showing a father and his young sons, surprised in their pajamas. A terrorist throws a grenade into their hiding place, and the father is killed. The boys are covered in blood, and one appears to have lost an eye. They go to their kitchen and cry for their mother. One of the boys howls, "Why am I alive?" and "Daddy, Daddy." One says, "I think we are going to die." The terrorist who killed their father comes in, and while they weep, he raids their fridge. "Water, water," he says. The spokesman was unable to say whether the children survived.

The videos show pure, predatory sadism; no effort to spare those who pose no threat; and an eagerness to kill nearly matched by eagerness to disfigure the bodies of the victims. In several clips, the Hamas killers fire shots into the heads of people who are already dead. They count corpses, taking their time, and then shoot them again. Some of the clips I had not previously seen simply show the victims in a state of terror as they wait to be murdered, or covered with bits of their friends and loved ones as they are loaded into trucks and brought to Gaza as hostages. There was no footage of rape, although there was footage of young women huddling in fear and then being executed in a leisurely manner.

Edelstein said that the IDF chose to show the footage out of necessity. It is not every day that snuff films of Jews are shown
at an IDF screening hall. (The original site of the screening was a commercial theater, which would have been even worse.)

"What we shared with you," Edelstein said, searching for words, "you should know it." And he said he struggled to understand how some journalists could present the IDF and Hamas as comparable. This footage would refute that false equivalence.

"We are not looking for kids to kill them," he said. "We have to share it with you so no one will have an idea that someone is
equal to another."

To me the most disturbing section was not visual at all. Like the clip of the father and his boys hunted in their pajamas, it was upsetting in part because it showed a relationship between parent and child. The clip is just a phone call-placed by a terrorist to his family back in Gaza. He tells his father that he is calling from a Jewish woman's phone. (The phone recorded the call.) He tells his father that his son is now a "hero" and that "I killed 10 Jews with my own hands." And he tells his family, about a dozen times, that they should open up WhatsApp on his phone, because he has sent photographs to prove what he has done. "Put on Mom!" he says. "Your son is a hero!"

His parents, I noticed, are not nearly as enthusiastic as he is. I believe that the mom says "praise be to God" at one point, which could be gratitude for her son's crimes or pure reflex, indicating her loss for words to match her son's unspeakable acts. They do not question what their son has done; they do not scold him. They tell him to come back to Gaza. They fear for his safety. He says, amid rounds of "Allahu akbar," that he intends "victory or martyrdom"-which the parents must understand means that he will never come home. From their muted replies I wonder whether they also understand that even if he did come home, he would do so as a disgusting and degraded creature, and that it might be better for him not to.

Graeme Wood is a staff writer at The Atlantic and the author of The Way of the Strangers: Encounters With the Islamic State.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Dick Morris : Jews disillusioned of the LEFT
« Reply #972 on: October 25, 2023, 11:30:44 AM »
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/10/25/morris-liberal-secular-jews-growing-disillusioned-with-the-left/

I am dubious

This is a time that will test Jewish people's souls

Are you a Jew or a Democrat?

Hard to be both
if you ask me.

we shall see.
not holding my breath

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
“I was Taught to Hate Jews”
« Reply #974 on: October 26, 2023, 04:39:55 PM »
Bumped into this piece on FB; there is no url for it I could find. It, however, explains a lot”

June 2  ·
I was born to hate jews.

Av Kaseem Hafiz

It was part of my life. I never questioned that. I was not born in Iran or Syria. I was born in England. My parents moved there from Pakistan. Theirs was the typical immigrant story: Move to the West hoping to create a better life for themselves and their children.
We were a devoted Muslim family, but not extremists or radicals in any way. We only wanted the best for everyone - everyone except the Jews. The Jews, we thought, were aliens living in stolen Muslim land, occupiers involved in a genocide against the Palestinian people. Our hatred was therefore justified and just. And it left me and my friends vulnerable to radical extremist arguments. If the Jews were as evil as we've always believed, shouldn't those who support them - Christians, Americans and others in the West - be just as evil?

Starting from the 90s, speakers and teachers in mosques and schools began repeating this theme endlessly: We were not western. We were not British. We were Muslims, first and foremost. Our allegiance was to our religion and to our fellow Muslims. We owe nothing to western nations who welcomed us. As westerners, they were our enemies.

All of this had its desired effect. At least it did on me. It changed the way I looked at the world. I began to look at the suffering of Muslims, including in Britain, as the fault of Western imperialism. The west was at war with us, and the Jews controlled the west. My experience at the university in the UK only reinforced my increasingly radical conviction. Hating Israel was a badge of honor. Set up an anti-Israel, pro-Palestinian rally, and you were sure to attract a huge, approver

While in uni, I decided that the protests and propaganda against Israel were not enough. Real jihad requires violence. So I made plans to join the real fight. I want to drop out of college and join terrorist training camp in Pakistan. But, fortunately for me, fate intervened - in a bookstore.

I came across a book called The Case for Israel by Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz. The case for Israel? Which case could that be? The title itself infuriated me, and I started reading the pages almost like a travesty. How ill-informed, how stupid, can this guy be to defend the defenseless? Well, he was a Jew. That must have been the answer

Still I am reading. And what I read challenged all my dogmas about Israel and the Jews: I read that it was not Israel who created the Palestinian refugee crisis, it was the Arab countries, the UN and the corrupt Palestinian leadership. I read that Jews did not exploit the Holocaust to create the state of Israel; the movement to create a modern Jewish state dating back to the 19th. century, and eventually to the beginning of the Jewish people almost 4000 years ago. And I read that Israel is not engaged in genocide against the Palestinians. On the contrary, the Palestinian population has actually doubled in just twenty years.

All of this just pissed me off. I had to prove Dershowitz wrong to see with my own eyes how racist and oppressive Israel really was. Then I bought a plane ticket. I would go to Israel, the home of my enemy. And that's when everything changed. Alt.

What I saw with my own eyes was even more challenging than what Dershowitz had written. Instead of apartheid I saw Muslims, Christians and Jews coexisting. Instead of hate, I saw acceptance, even compassion. I saw a violent, modern, liberal democracy, full of flaws, for sure, but fundamentally decent. I saw a country that wanted nothing but to live in peace with its neighbors. I watched my hate melt before my eyes. I knew just then what I had to do.

Too many people on this planet are consumed by the same hate that consumed me. They have been taught to despise the Jewish state - many Muslims through their religion, many others by their university professors or student groups.
So here's my challenge to anyone who feels this way: do what I did - seek the truth for yourself. If the truth can change me, it can change anyone.

I am Kasim Hafeez from Prager University.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Iowahawk Thread
« Reply #976 on: October 30, 2023, 09:55:05 AM »
If you do Twitter (X) and dig pithy David Burge/Iowahawk is well wort following. I particularly like his “5 Charlottesvilles a day” comparison:

David Burge
@iowahawkblog
·
1h
I'll lay even odds that at least one of these posts is from faculty or administration
Breaking911
@Breaking911
·
14h
BREAKING: Police on scene and FBI notified after posts on Cornell University forum call for Jewish students to be killed
h/t: @AnnieSun16
David Burge
@iowahawkblog
·
1h
We are witnessing 5 fucking Charlottesvilles every day, and universities are like🤷🤷🤷‍♀️
David Burge
@iowahawkblog
·
1h
"I am shocked, shocked to find that gambling has been going on in here."
Daniel Silva
@danielsilvabook
·
4h
“Nothing prepared me for antisemitism on college campuses” by Erwin Chemerinsky the dean of the UC Berkeley School of Law.
Please read and share https://latimes.com/.../antisemitism-college-campus...…
David Burge
@iowahawkblog
The idea that virulent antisemitism on campus is some kind of shocking unforeseen phenomenon that suddenly appeared out of nowhere in October 2023 is fucking willful blindness. Every "elite" university in the US has spent 40 years creating sinecures and chairs and entire departments for Jew-hate-peddling lunatics, and for the last 20 years panhandled donations from every lunatic oil sheikhdom to pay for them.
9:07 AM · Oct 30, 2023
·
David Burge
@iowahawkblog
·
1h
So college presidents and deans can spare me the shock when some of their edgy pity-hire faculty members chant support for Hamas into a bullhorn. You dumb fuckers knew full well what they were all about when you hired them in the first place, it was all there in their curriculum….

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
'bout time
« Reply #977 on: October 30, 2023, 10:34:40 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/harvard-university-president-launches-anti-semitism-advisory-board/ss-AA1j6kSo?ocid=msedgntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=a05618ff26774130b8cc197f54ef0432&ei=8

me: money talks
it seems;  reading about rich Jewish benefactors stopping the donations.

not clear what an "advisory board" would do though.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Iowahawk Thread
« Reply #978 on: October 30, 2023, 10:48:47 AM »
Yes he is good!

https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/332494589934047234?lang=en

Journalism is about covering important stories. With a pillow. Until they stop moving.   - Iowa Hawk

BBG, I am not on X yet. I started to sign up but couldn't answer the first question, my name. Am I really going to put my real name out there? Or do all that work and have it be anonymous?

Burge had another funny one I recall, I'll have to paraphrase.  People were supposed to submit questions for an online Town Hall conducted by President Obama. His question went something like this.

A passenger train leaves Iowa City for Chicago at 10:30 a.m., arrives in 4 hours and 14 minutes. Why?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 10:51:53 AM by DougMacG »

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Iowahawk Thread
« Reply #979 on: October 30, 2023, 02:00:48 PM »

BBG, I am not on X yet. I started to sign up but couldn't answer the first question, my name. Am I really going to put my real name out there? Or do all that work and have it be anonymous?

I am not big into X or whatever Doug, having signed up mostly for day job reasons (I track customer complaints in my areas of responsibility & respond to ‘em), but IIRC it was possible to sign up under a pseudonym when I was first joining. IIRC further, “verified” accounts required more rigamarole, but again I’m far from an X pro a have always felt its news haiku model kinda lame. 

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
cornell west
« Reply #980 on: October 31, 2023, 08:36:02 AM »
calling Jews in Israel genocidal for "75 yrs"

odd how the birth rate in Gaze and West bank has seen their numbers skyrocket over that time.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/10/31/watch-cornel-west-rants-against-the-existence-of-israel-75-years-of-genocide/

I am confused.

Leftist Democrat Jews have presumed for decades that if they fight for Civil Rights for blacks, vote only for Democrats (like most blacks), support BLM
donate money to their causes, call Al Sharpton reverend instead of cockroach

that blacks will love them back

do they not understand many blacks hate Jews, despise how Jewish movie moguls depicted them in most movies, envy our success in many venues.
they are not going to identify with us.

Surely not all but some.

Just because one votes Democrat does not mean one is safe.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: The Global War on the Jews
« Reply #981 on: October 31, 2023, 10:07:42 AM »
The Global War on the Jews
Anti-Semitism surges, even in the West, which shows why Israel exists.
By
The Editorial Board
Follow
Oct. 30, 2023 6:26 pm ET

The disturbing fact of the past month is that Jews are under attack not only in Israel and not only by Hamas. The weeks since the barbaric Oct. 7 Hamas invasion of Israel have witnessed physical assaults on Jews the world over, including in the U.S. and Europe. This most modern of pogroms—global, televised, politicized—demonstrates exactly what is at stake as Israel ramps up its defensive war against Hamas in Gaza.

The Islamist group and its Western enablers are pursuing or justifying a genocidal war against Jews, not merely a territorial dispute with Israel. And since Western governments too often seem unable to protect the Jewish minorities in their midst, Israel must defend itself as the only safe home for the Jewish people.

This weekend hundreds of rioters in Dagestan, Russia, stormed an airport in search of Jewish travelers. Mobs raided hotels in other parts of the North Caucasus looking for Jews, and a Jewish community center under construction in the city of Nalchik was the target of an apparent attack.

Germany has witnessed a spate of anti-Semitic incidents, including an attack with Molotov cocktails against a synagogue in Berlin on Oct. 18. Some Jews found Stars of David painted on their homes, an echo of the Nazi persecution. German politicians have been forceful in their denunciations, but apparently not forceful enough in their policing.

Two Jewish schools in London closed for a period over safety concerns, and some British Jews no longer feel safe wearing visible symbols of their faith. They’re probably right to worry the state can’t protect them. Tens of thousands of protesters in London over three successive weekends called for “jihad” and chanted “from the river to the sea,” a demand for the erasure of Israel and by extension its citizens. A crowd in Sydney, Australia, chanted “gas the Jews” after the Hamas attack.

Americans like to believe such things couldn’t happen in the U.S. They have. The Anti-Defamation League last week reported a 388% increase in anti-Semitic incidents from Oct. 7-23 compared with the same period a year ago. The 312 incidents the ADL recorded include a car carrying individuals with Palestinian flags allegedly swerving toward a Jewish family and several alleged assaults by pro-Palestinian protesters. The ADL tally counts 109 anti-Israel rallies that featured support for Hamas or violence against Jews in Israel.

These and too many other incidents to count put paid to the notion that one can distinguish anti-Zionism from anti-Semitism since Oct. 7. If protesters wanted to burn Israeli flags in a fit of wrong-headed pique about a two-state solution, that is one thing. Only anti-Jewish hate can explain how synagogues, children and airports are targets of this outrage.

Yet many Western intellectuals—and a growing number of politicians—insist on maintaining this false distinction. They’ve seen what Hamas has done to innocent Israeli civilians, and what pro-Hamas protesters have said and done in Western streets. They’d nonetheless forgive any violence by Hamas or Hezbollah against Jews as anticolonial defiance.

This is why Israel is fighting, and must fight, as hard as it is for its survival as a state. And why it’s inexcusable for any Western politician now to demand a cease-fire in Gaza. No leader who is demonstrably incapable of protecting Jews in his or her own country should try to prevent Israel from defending itself. This is how the West slips from “never again” into “nowhere is safe.”

This global war on Jews also clarifies what is at stake for Western societies in this fight. The West spent the decades after the civilizational catastrophe of the Holocaust vowing never again to allow itself to slide into such barbarism. What we see now in the attacks on Jews is how that slide began.

Before there was a Chancellor Hitler in 1933, there were roving bands of Brownshirts inflicting political and anti-Semitic violence on the streets of Germany. They too often went unchecked by police, prosecutors and politicians who didn’t understand the menace, sympathized with the offenders, or merely felt overwhelmed by the scale of the danger. Hitler gained power in part because the German state no longer could maintain its monopoly on violence in defense of democratic values.

Today’s threats to democracy are different, but one lesson is the same and is crystal-clear: A Western society that can’t or won’t muster the will to defend its Jewish neighbors and fellow citizens won’t be able to defend itself.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Netanyahu
« Reply #982 on: October 31, 2023, 10:12:30 AM »
second

The Battle of Civilization
This isn’t only Israel’s war. If Hamas and Iran win, you will be their next target. But we will prevail.
By Benjamin Netanyahu
Oct. 30, 2023 6:22 pm ET

Until recently, many believed that the promise of progress in the 21st century would enable us to move beyond the barbaric horrors of the past toward a brilliant future—that we could go about our comfortable lives and that evil will simply pass us.

It will not. The horrors that Hamas perpetrated on Oct. 7 remind us that we won’t realize the promise of a better future unless we, the civilized world, are willing to fight the barbarians. The barbarians are willing to fight us, and their goal is clear: Shatter that promising future, destroy all that we cherish, and usher in a world of fear and darkness.

This is a turning point for leaders and nations. It is a time for all of us to decide if we are willing to fight for a future of hope and promise or surrender to tyranny and terror.

Rest assured, Israel will fight. Since Oct. 7, Israel has been at war. Israel didn’t start this war. Israel didn’t want this war. But Israel will win this war.

Hamas launched this war by perpetrating the worst savagery our people have seen since the Holocaust. Hamas murdered children in front of their parents and parents in front of their children. They burned people alive, raped women, beheaded men. They tortured Holocaust survivors and kidnapped babies. They committed the most horrific crimes imaginable.

Iran has formed an axis of terror by arming, training and financing Hamas in Gaza, Hezbollah in Lebanon, the Houthis in Yemen and other terror proxies throughout the Middle East and beyond. In fighting Hamas and the Iranian axis of terror, Israel is fighting the enemies of civilization itself.

Victory over these enemies begins with moral clarity. It begins with knowing the difference between good and evil, between right and wrong. It means making a moral distinction between the deliberate murder of the innocent and the unintentional casualties that are the inevitable result of even the most just war.

It means holding Hamas accountable for the double war crime it commits every day by deliberately targeting Israeli civilians and deliberately using Palestinian civilians as human shields. It means not only making clear that the use of human shields is an immoral tactic of war, but making certain it is an ineffective one.

As long as the international community blames Israel for Hamas’s use of Palestinian human shields, Hamas will continue to employ this tool of terror. Hamas will continue to use the basements in Gaza’s hospitals as the command posts of its vast terror tunnel network. It will continue to use mosques as fortified military outposts and weapons depots. It will continue to steal fuel and humanitarian assistance from United Nations facilities.

While Israel is doing everything to get Palestinian civilians out of harm’s way, Hamas is doing everything to keep Palestinian civilians in harm’s way. Israel urges Palestinian civilians to leave the areas of armed conflict, while Hamas prevents those civilians from leaving those areas at gunpoint. Hamas is preventing foreign nationals from leaving Gaza altogether.

Most despicably, Hamas is holding more than 200 Israeli hostages, including 33 children. Every civilized nation should stand with Israel in demanding that these hostages be freed immediately and unconditionally.

I want to make clear Israel’s position regarding a cease-fire. Just as the U.S. wouldn’t have agreed to a cease-fire after the bombing of Pearl Harbor or after the terrorist attack on 9/11, Israel will not agree to a cessation of hostilities with Hamas after the horrific attacks of Oct. 7.

Calls for a cease-fire are calls for Israel to surrender to Hamas, to surrender to terrorism, to surrender to barbarism. That will not happen.

The Book of Ecclesiastes says that there is a time for peace and a time for war. This is a time for war—a war for our common future. Today we draw a line between civilization and barbarism. It is a time for everyone to decide where they stand. Israel will stand against the forces of barbarism until victory.

I hope and pray that civilized nations everywhere will back this fight. Because Israel’s fight is your fight. If Hamas and Iran’s axis of evil win, you will be their next target. That’s why Israel’s victory will be your victory.

Regardless of who stands with Israel, Israel will fight this battle until it is won. Israel will prevail. May God bless Israel, and may God bless all who stand with Israel.

Mr. Netanyahu is prime minister of Israel.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WRM
« Reply #983 on: October 31, 2023, 10:23:11 AM »
third

Anti-Semitism Poisons America
Attacks on Jews are also attacks on our ideals of liberalism and pluralism.
Walter Russell Mead
By
Walter Russell Mead
Follow
Oct. 30, 2023 5:40 pm ET

As students and, worse, professors, at elite universities across the U.S. exulted at the news of mass murder and torture of Israeli Jews by Hamas terrorists, Jewish students were warned to take precautions on campus. Across the U.S., anti-Semitic incidents including vandalism, harassment and assault are up roughly 400% since the Hamas attacks on Oct. 7.

That is a problem, and not only for American Jews. The beliefs that have made the U.S. a uniquely hospitable home for Jewish citizens are essential to national cohesion and strength. If we lose faith in what was once proudly called the American Way, there is little chance that society can summon the energy and unity to withstand attacks from our enemies abroad.

While doing research for my recent book, “The Arc of a Covenant: The United States, Israel and the Fate of the Jewish People,” I was struck by the deep connection between America’s relative (and I stress relative) immunity to the most virulent forms of anti-Semitism and American faith in democracy and pluralism.

From the Middle Ages to the present day, violent anti-Semitism has flourished best among those who reject liberal ideas. Medieval Christian zealots trying to build a seamlessly Christian Europe, nationalists striving for “pure” societies in which a particular ethnic group establishes its own culture and institutions without the “alien” influences of ethnic and religious minorities, Islamists who want a pure Islamic state—none of these projected utopias have room for proud and free Jews.

The U.S. stands on a different foundation. For America to work, many different religious and ethnic identities must coexist under a common commitment to constitutional politics and the rule of law. That happens to be the kind of society in which Jews can flourish, and the America we live in today owes much to the energy, creativity and patriotism of its Jewish citizens.

America’s vital center is defined by the conviction that people of different cultural, ethnic and religious backgrounds together can build a peaceful and prosperous society in which all can follow their consciences while upholding the framework of our common life. While America remains imperfect, the efforts of people of different races, ethnicities and religions over the centuries have created a miraculously prosperous and open society.

Three things unite 2017’s white nationalist marchers in Charlottesville, Va., on the illiberal right with today’s bile-spewing campus radicals. Both sides worship ethnicity, despise the American Way, and hate Jews. The illiberal right claims that America is a Caucasian ethno-state, and that Jews, blacks and other “inferior” groups want to destroy it through immigration and subversion. The campus left shares this conviction but reverses the polarity: Nonwhite ethnic groups are the good guys, and the white Founders are racists whose legacy needs to be buried. Both groups think Jews are part of the problem.

Jew hatred is the most damaging piece of the “horseshoe” consensus that brings the far left and far right together. This hatred is a sign of mental incapacity and is a barrier to learning. Someone who thinks “the Jews” control banking doesn’t understand how modern economies work. Someone who thinks “the Jews” control America’s media and political systems from the shadows can never really understand how American institutions work. And people who embrace conspiracy theories aren’t eager to learn because they think they already understand everything.

Jew hatred is both a disabling mental virus and a social blight. Societies dominated by irrational hatreds and conspiracy theories are rarely well-governed. Where Jews are hunted in the streets, no one’s liberty or property will long be secure.

Surging illiberalism and rising Jew hatred aren’t only a domestic problem. The world order Americans have tried to build since World War II is a projection of the American Way abroad. People from different ethnic and religious backgrounds can, the U.S. has argued since 1945, work together to build a peaceful and prosperous world. We cannot uphold these beliefs abroad if we no longer believe in them at home. And a society whose educated elite has contracted a destructive mind virus in our citadels of learning will neither govern itself well nor have much to contribute to the world.

These trends worry me deeply, but not to the point of despair. The last big surge of anti-Semitism was in the 1930s and very early 1940s, when the Depression had shaken faith in the American Way. But as our overseas enemies sought to take advantage of what they saw as America’s weakness, their deeds gradually revealed the unspeakable depravity and uncontrollable aggression to which illiberalism leads. We united, we rallied, and we overcame.

History offers hope but shouldn’t make us complacent. We face grave challenges abroad even as the foundations of unity and concord at home have corroded to a dangerous degree. Those whose job it was to preserve the health of our educational institutions have dramatically and horribly failed while those charged with American foreign policy failed to prepare for the challenges coming at us overseas.

The Hamas attacks of Oct. 7 unleashed a storm abroad and a storm at home. More storms, and worse ones, are likely as a disordered America struggles for balance in a disordered world.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Ethnic Cleansing You Say?
« Reply #984 on: October 31, 2023, 03:37:08 PM »
Had a related discussion w/ one of our former resident Progressives back in the day:

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10101927843278509&set=a.577011786689

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: October 31, 2023, 06:54:30 PM »
Good one!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Dersh on Kuds last night
« Reply #988 on: November 03, 2023, 07:48:27 AM »
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/11/03/dershowitz-there-is-an-international-war-against-the-jews/

what I found interesting was Dersh claims that 6 yo Muslim child stabbed to death recently was NOT related to Mideast war and was coincidence.

I had never learned that with our MSM bias.

Dersh really sounds like us lately though he continues to claim he is still a democrat - I am not sure why.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
My thoughts on American Jews
« Reply #989 on: November 03, 2023, 07:55:31 AM »
I have long posted my disgust at the majority of American Jews because so many are rabid Democrat partisans
and how it does seem so many are in positions that can force feed DNC BS down our throats

While this is still true I can say today I am proud that Jews are sticking up for Jews and glad and hopeful that many are using their positions of influence to stick up , mostly for Israel.

Our influence has certainly helped Israel and hope it continues.  I am not expecting them to abandon the Dem Party though. 
None are going to become Republicans and none will commit suicide by voting for DJT.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: "My thoughts on American Jews"
« Reply #990 on: November 03, 2023, 08:30:30 AM »
Very interesting ccp.

Two steps with each Dem constituency group.  1) Get them to see the flaw of being with this Dem party and their policies.  2) Getting them to join our side.

First part is very hard, only happens when they see it for themselves.  Second part is closer to impossible. Like asking a Palestinian to convert to Judaism after all the hatred they were brought up with.

Imagine if we just had real facts and honest debates over policies and consequences of those policies ...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 08:33:22 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: November 03, 2023, 08:41:37 AM »
"Like asking a Palestinian to convert to Judaism after all the hatred they were brought up with."

yes!  Republicans maybe even more Nazi like to them then even Hamas; not clear to me who they think is worse.

Crazy thought but I think it true.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: November 03, 2023, 09:30:13 AM »
The level of learned hatred (toward Republicans) is astounding.

Example:  Biden’s inciteful use of the term " Extreme MAGA Republican", meaning everyone who supports those things that make up our Trump accomplishment thread, like energy independence, thriving free enterprise and peace through strength.  Another example, FBI targeting disenchanted parents speaking up at school board meetings.  They who oppose transgender advocacy in Kindergarten curricula are the biggest threat we face.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 09:38:19 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: November 03, 2023, 01:17:15 PM »
New term:  "Hamazis".

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
NYT laments Fox picking up Jewish viewers
« Reply #995 on: November 04, 2023, 07:49:17 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/jewish-viewers-refuge-fox-news-174918953.html

Levin is certainly correct on his assessment and the resultant view of the NYT.

The NYT slimeballs probably thinking:

Jewish libs tuning into Fox News - "GOD FORBID!"

Is it possible some lib Jews WILL actually wake up to reality?

Perhaps we can pick up a small percentage but not holding my breath it would be that many.

The Jewish Democrat politicians still preach the DNC lines at least as far as I can tell from my couch.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
The Jewish American Dilema
« Reply #996 on: November 04, 2023, 08:24:15 AM »
Kunstler: The Jewish-American Dilemma
Tyler Durden's Photo
BY TYLER DURDEN
FRIDAY, NOV 03, 2023 - 04:20 PM
Authored by James Howard Kunstler via Kunstler.com,

“In a world that is not conforming to the narrative of continuous Progress, the response from self-declared progressives has been to try to rewrite our past into the multicultural utopia that they wish to see realised. This will not end well. The war on reality cannot be won.”

- Luke Dodson

At this moment, when there is an awful struggle over the Hebrews’ place in the world - so dire that you’re waiting for World War Three to vaporize everything you’ve ever cared about - one observes the Jewish American scene with trepidation. Since I am a Jewish American, I’m just going to flop this one on the table like so much meat to see what kind of animals it brings out of the woodwork to fight over it.

The Hamas war has exposed a deep current of animosity against Israel and against Jews generally world-wide, even here. This, you understand, is happening at a time of what we might call epic global political mental illness. A mass formation psychosis appears to grip many population groups, each in its own way, but often expressing itself as a longing for death, ranging from the economic suicide of Western Europe to the rise of Jihad to the desolate nihilism of American nose-ring youth.

Jewish Americans have played a leading role in American intellectual and political life through the 20th century and into this one. We Jews increasingly dominated the arenas of literature, academia, medicine, law, news media, and show biz. Business and government, too. In America, we mostly overcame (or seemed to) the deep, old-world superstitions against us, thanks to successful near-total cultural assimilation. I, for example, came from a Jewish family far more interested in baseball than Talmud, who put up a Christmas tree in the living room, and ate sweet-and-sour pork frequently. Perhaps this made us “bad” Jews, but frankly, it was more important to be good Americans — that is, people who cared more about our country than our ancestral origins.

American Jews have also been major players in the political Left through the past hundred-odd years, and especially within the Democratic Party.

Lately, it appears that the Democratic Party is bent on destroying the country, so one is naturally left to wonder how this happened and what is the role of American Jews in this.

I will offer a hypothesis.

Old World Jews, scattered in diaspora among alien nations, were united for centuries by the longing to return to Jerusalem, the ancestral homeland. “Next year in Jerusalem!” is the toast that concludes each Passover seder. The modern activist manifestation of that, starting in 19th century Europe, was Zionism, the political movement to reinhabit the Bible land of the Middle East. The label Zionism has recently been confabulated with a notion that it stands for Jews wielding a disdainful sense of superiority against non-Jews.

This is, of course, a false understanding. Mostly, it is an envious projection because Jews succeeded so well in America, and they succeeded, as I averred above, largely because they assimilated so completely. How else can you explain a Jew such as Samuel Goldwyn (born Szmuel Gelbfisz, later Samuel Goldfish) of Gloversville, New York, rising to run Hollywood’s MGM studio and turning out movies like Gone with the Wind that showed the rest of the nation what America was about? Or Irving Berlin who wrote God Bless America?

For the Jews who arrived here in the late 19th and early 20th century, America became even more of a promised land than that sliver of Biblical real estate on the Mediterranean. They succeeded here beyond their wildest dreams. Why dream idly about returning to the Middle East when the USA turned out to be the real Land of Milk and Honey?  Hence, a revision in American Judaism became necessary.

Next year in Jerusalem was replaced as a central animating principle by an alternate shibboleth: tikkun olam.

Tikkun Olam means repair the world.

This has been driving American Judaism since the early 20th century. Meanwhile, the genocide of the 1940s gave new impetus to next year in Jerusalem for what remained of the European Jews, and thus you get the establishment of Israel in 1948 — notwithstanding the geopolitical legerdemain that actually brought it about.

American Jews, while sympathetic to a fault with the founding of Israel, and deeply vested emotionally in its success, had a different agenda in the USA after World War Two. They endeavored to repair America. Tikkun Olam!

Mostly this expressed itself in Jewish support and involvement in the Civil Rights movement, since the end of discrimination against anybody was considered a good thing for the Jews as well as humanity in general. The country needed a moral repair job, especially after defeating manifest evil in the big war. That effort climaxed in the mid 1960s with the federal legislation that ended Jim Crow policy in voting and public accommodations. Much of the actual on-the-ground work to make this happen was accomplished by Jewish lawyers. This is a fact, not an accusation.

But then something happened. Several things. One was that not all of black America necessarily regarded the Civil Rights movement as the great moral victory it was touted to be. A lot of black youth in the 1960s opted out early on and went their own way in black separatist movements of various kinds. As a practical matter, it also slowly became obvious that the new Civil Rights laws did not raise up the black underclass out of poverty and misery. Jewish liberal apostates would even argue that the vast federal social safety-net program largess that accompanied Civil Rights Inc. only made the condition of poor blacks worse.

This became a growing fiasco for American Jewish liberals, who, by the 1980s, then strove to impose another set of repairs (more tikkun olam) on American society: multiculturalism, meaning it was no longer necessary to promote a common culture that people would be encouraged to assimilate into, to join a consensus of values and behaviors. Instead, all cultures could behave according to their own rules.

That hasn’t worked out so well either, and the world repairers have lately had to resort to coercion such as tyrannical diversity, equity, and inclusion policies and the shoving aside of equal opportunity for enforced equal outcomes (“equity”). That business has only produced additional unintended consequences, such as the new epidemic of institutional incompetence and the resentment of at least half the population against new forms of counter-discrimination (cultural Marxism, in short).

Another poorly understood byproduct of this failure to repair the world is the guilt and shame secretly experienced by the American liberal Left over the apparent failure of the Civil Rights movement they fought so hard for, and the subsequent failed efforts to tweak it and save it (still more tikkun olam). Thus, we see the absurd racist “anti-racism” of the universities, and so many other affronts to common sense and reality itself.

But the worst byproduct of all this tragically misguided tikkun olam is that the main political vehicle for it, the Democratic Party, has gone so insane that it now devotes itself fanatically to the utter destruction of what remains of our country. This is most particularly true in the law, which might be considered the backbone of America. Lawfare attorneys such as Marc Elias, work tirelessly to turn American election law upside down and inside out so it becomes increasing impossible to know who is voting and if the ballots are legitimate.

The Democratic Party has decided it’s okay to use the law in bad faith to persecute and jail its political opponents. The Democratic Party has destroyed American’s faith in the federal courts, the Department of Justice, and the FBI. The Democratic Party allows an invasion of millions of unvetted aliens across the border, quite a few of them possibly bent on making mayhem here as global tensions careen into hot war. The Democratic Party is still pushing Covid vaccinations that are well-understood at this point to be ineffective and unsafe. And the Democratic Party is doing everything possible (with help from RINO Republicans) to destroy our financial system. You could easily make the case that the Democratic Party is the anti-American party.

If they really want to repair the world, it’s time for Jewish Americans to get out of the Democratic Party and re-assimilate into an American common culture - a consensus about reality - that is consistent with running a successful, orderly, and just society.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Kunstler some additional ccp thoughts
« Reply #997 on: November 04, 2023, 09:07:31 AM »
CD
great article the better describes what I have been posting
how lib Jews have been totally miguided

while perhaps well meaning, their contributions to the LEFT has made things WORSE and effectively contribute to destroying the US
in all its dimensions - cultural, legal, education, spending, historical etc.

They also think that because they are pushing the party of equality, rights, etc that they will be protected from backlash, envy, hatred, jealousy,

Case in point :
Kunstler uses the example of (ironically) Goldwin's movie "Gone With the Wind" as a shining example of success . While it has been imensely successful
I read backlash from the DEI crowd for its' portrayal of Black slaves.  Blacks do not appreciate the many movies by Jewish studios portraying black face,
blacks as servants, porters, maids, sometimes even dumb, in subservient roles.

" A lot of black youth in the 1960s opted out early on and went their own way in black separatist movements of various kinds"

Yes, and I suspect these blacks elders and their descendents are the most virulent anti-semites today.

" Another poorly understood byproduct of this failure to repair the world is the guilt and shame secretly experienced by the American liberal Left over the apparent failure of the Civil Rights movement they fought so hard for, and the subsequent failed efforts to tweak it and save it (still more tikkun olam). Thus, we see the absurd racist “anti-racism” of the universities, and so many other affronts to common sense and reality itself."

Yes, the sheer stupidity and stubborness of the Jewish LEFT!

And they are still all DNC - the only explanation I can come up with is they are move DNC than American more DNC then Jewish.
question remains, how many will wake up ?

I have not seen any Jewish politicians changing their views
All we ever see is  'get Trump', gain power by any and all means down whites USA etc.

Can anyone imagine in their wildest dreams any prominent Jewish Democrat "coming out" in a different way and state and admit they are wrong.
They will become independents or Republicans and leave the Dem party .

Can anyone imagine Raskdouche, Jerry Nads, Larry the Lib, Wiessdumb, DWassershmerderick doing this?

I don't know how to reach their tiny brains to make them realize Republicans are NOT the Nazis.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
4th post today
« Reply #998 on: November 04, 2023, 09:54:17 AM »
Joe Lieberman on Cavuto

he is the only prominent Jewish politician who sounds like this (that I know of and in public):

https://news.yahoo.com/joseph-lieberman-spread-antisemitism-us-013515024.html

he is, of course, an independent now.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Tablet: The Savage Nihilism of Free Palestine
« Reply #999 on: November 04, 2023, 05:14:46 PM »
The Savage Nihilism of ‘Free Palestine’
It’s time for us to reckon with the hopelessness at the heart of Arab and Western ‘liberationist’ ideology
BY
HUSSEIN ABOUBAKR MANSOUR
OCTOBER 09, 2023
https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/israel-middle-east/articles/savage-nihilism-free-palestine?utm_source=meta&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=eo_pro_traffic_evergreen_07%2F28%2F2023&utm_content=eo_news_nihilism-free-palestine_2023%2F10%2F30&utm_term=eo_static_custom_image_nihilishm-free-palestine_10%2F30%2F23&fbclid=IwAR3YjdVTthCYBqVoIUwYgd2dxAE0fwI3TVwk_2f5kh4aSV3X1yDne4OOcdU

Rally for Gaza at the Consulate General of Israel on Oct. 9, 2023, in New York City
MICHAEL M. SANTIAGO/GETTY IMAGES
COLLECTION
This article is part of Hamas’ War on Israel.
See the full collection →︎

“Free Palestine”—the slogan, the fantasy, and the policy—has always consciously implied the mass murder of Jews in their towns, streets, shops, and living rooms. Few are willing to say so openly, but in many intellectual, professional, and popular circles in the Middle East and the West, the idea of Palestinian national liberation has long been framed in terms that condone or necessitate the indiscriminate killing of Jews. For more unambiguous actors such as Hamas and the Islamic Republic of Iran, freeing Palestine simply means the total eradication of Israel without qualification. This is not a polemical point, but a basic reality and fact of our lives that demands scrutiny.

Consider the ideological milieu in which many Arabs and Muslims have been raised, including me. Growing up as a Muslim in Egypt, the concept of Palestine was never a geopolitical issue; it was a deeply ingrained part of our collective moral identity, the unifying element of both our religious and secular Arab nationalism. It was, and remains, a cause that resonated with us politically, socially, and spiritually, often approaching a fervor that defies rationality. This emotional charge, embedded in the political and religious narratives of much of the Arab Muslim world, has made rubbish of the idea that the Palestinian cause is merely based on anti-Zionism rather than antisemitism.

This milieu, however, is not in any way essential to what it means to be Arab or Muslim—it is a thoroughly modern phenomenon shaped largely by the influence of European revolutionary ideologies on Arab intellectuals and political activists. Among these imported systems of thought is a strain of revolutionary antisemitism that casts Jews as the eternal enemy not just of Arabs but of all human beings. Not every Arab or Muslim subscribes to these views, of course, but when fused with preexisting religious and cultural biases, they have infected almost every institution, pattern of thought, and aspect of life in the Arab Muslim world. Modern Arab political and religious literature is filled with the claim that Jews are hostis humani generis, the enemies of mankind—a classical European libel, and a French revolutionary cry.

https://www.tabletmag.com/collections/hamas-israel

The problems of this poisonous strain of thought are compounded by the concept that “freeing Palestine” is a species of resistance against foreign settler colonialists, a Fanonian revolution in which violence against civilians is defended as a legitimate means of achieving racial justice. The wholesale labeling of Israeli Jews—the vast majority of whom are refugees or descendants of refugees from Arab Muslim dictatorships and Soviet totalitarianism—as colonizers, settlers, and imperialists is in fact a type of collective ethnic punishment, nonsensical even on its own twisted terms, which recalls the medieval Christian denunciation of Jews as moral abominations, as a group and as individuals. You might have noticed in the last few days that those committed to liberating Palestine can’t seem to avoid the abject dehumanization of the Jews as a people—and that their aim is not for Palestinians to simply live in peace, dignity, and freedom alongside Israelis, but a state that is necessarily established upon the ruins of Israel. Hamas is explicit in its intention to murder the Jewish population of Israel and enslave any survivors; its partisans in the Middle East and the West are coyer on this point.

Islamists articulate the fantasy of Jewish eradication in the language of jihad, framed in eschatological terms, and imbued with a sense of divine justice and cosmic warfare—what Westerners would ordinarily recognize as a type of religious fascism. But while the Islamist version of this idea is potent for the purposes of mobilizing the impoverished and uneducated masses, the “left-wing” or secular version—couched in the language of Fanon and Karl Marx, of human emancipation, equality, anti-capitalism, and social justice—is the more effective means of mobilizing opinion among the Western intelligentsia. The point is that they are two sides of the same coin, the value of which is set in Jewish blood.

For those who are shaped by such a worldview—whether the “right-wing” or the “left-wing” version, the religious or the atheistic—celebrating the murder of innocent Israeli civilians, including children, women, and the elderly, is an expression of the partial fulfillment of a moral vision. As a teenager in Egypt, I recall nearly all the adults around me expressing such feelings when following the news of suicide bombings targeting Israeli civilians during the Second Intifada. Egypt’s most prominent religious authorities declared the perpetrators to be martyrs and saints. In a way, it was not unlike the valorization and even canonization of those who destroyed livelihoods, burned property, and targeted police officers during the protests in America in the summer of 2020. I do not mean to inject American domestic politics where they do not belong, or to suggest a perfect moral equivalence, but there is a reason that leaders of Hamas and the Islamic Republic of Iran themselves insist that they are engaged in the same struggle against racism.

Almost every Arab Muslim knows that what I’m describing is not a personal opinion but objective reality. We may try to belittle these facts, or dismiss them as the delusional daydreams of uneducated know-nothings under the influence of religious and populist fanatics. But we should not deny that they are true.

My fear is that the impulse to dismiss and belittle is the byproduct not of sincere belief but of a deep sense of helplessness. After many recent conversations with the rising generation of young, intelligent, Westernized, and highly educated Arab professionals and diplomats, I have witnessed a strong urge not to confront this reality. Even among those who genuinely accept the legitimacy of Israel in a way their parents would have never been capable of, I almost always hear them describe the deaths of innocent Israelis as somehow being their own fault, or at least the fault of the Israeli government for not unilaterally making peace and ending the conflict. There is nothing more depressing than the surrender of the young to a problem they see as too big to solve.

My fear is that the impulse to dismiss and belittle is the byproduct not of sincere belief but of a deep sense of helplessness.

Those of us who belong to the cosmopolitan professional class of Arabs, who jump from country to country and from one lifestyle to another, benefiting from foreign cultures that live on the moral currency of liberalism and tolerance, are in many cases secretly ashamed. We see the antisemitism, the bloodlust, the insanity, and we cringe—but we hope it goes away. It’s easier for us to look forward to a hypothetical future where things are otherwise. It’s easier to ingratiate ourselves to the new social world where we want to belong, rather than grapple with the failures of the one we’ve left behind. We dismiss, we belitte, we explain away, we say, “What about Shireen Abu Akleh?”—and we go on pretending.

But even we are not as fresh or youthful as we like to think. We are walking in the footsteps of previous generations of modernizing, secular, intellectual Arabs. They too wanted nothing to do with their native lands, which they saw as having none of the power, prestige, or respect they craved. In their egotism and intellectual narcissism, they didn’t want to belong to “backward” societies. So they sought in foreign, mostly Western ideologies a refuge and a hiding place from backwardness. They joined the progressive secular movements and trendy revolutions because they offered an escape hatch from the drudgery of slow, marginal, local change. They became revolutionaries because they were afraid and insecure. Like Edward Said, they were anti-Zionist and anti-American “humanists” because they did not want to be, or could not be, “Arabs.” Their obvious cultural chauvinism was simply an urge to self-annihilate, to disappear into universalism. Their lives were a hopeless quest to shed their own skin.

To the Arabs of my own generation, I say we need a truly different approach. I’m not asking you to love Israel or Zionism, or to hang a poster of hipster Herzl in your bedroom. If you are critical of Israel and think there should be a Palestine, continue to do so. All I ask is for you to be authentically courageous, to admit that the murder we all witnessed in the last few days is an accurate representation and logical consequence of a catastrophic moral system, the one we all know intimately. This is a moment for collective introspection. It’s time to confront the darker corners of our ideological heritage, and question the ideas and beliefs we may have uncritically absorbed. Only by doing so can we hope to contribute to a more constructive and humane world for ourselves.