Author Topic: The US Congress; Congressional races  (Read 302448 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The US Congress; Congressional races
« Reply #1350 on: December 05, 2022, 09:16:23 AM »
last nail in coffin

thank "the Donald"

lost us Ga - again

( or probably anyway)

I read Warnock (warlock?)
is making three times the campaign stops as Herschel

:roll:

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
A hundred reasons we lost Georgia
« Reply #1351 on: December 06, 2022, 03:13:40 PM »
Today is election day and I have heard nothing about it.  No one thinks Walker will win and no one seems to care.  Did I miss something?

I thought we fight to the end to save the republic, and instead we're handing the keys to Warnock et al. Fidel, Chavez, Mao and Warnock.  Without a fight.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 03:20:01 PM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: December 06, 2022, 03:49:31 PM »
agree

I guess I assume the mail in ballot cartel will simply keep counting till the get the magic #

if Fetterman can win why not Herschel
is the only other thing I can add

:wink:

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Warnock wins
« Reply #1353 on: December 07, 2022, 12:35:55 AM »
Warnock
Incumbent
51.4%   
95,451 ahead
Walker
48.6%   
---------

2.8% win by these numbers.

Not a 3% advantage in money, 3-FOLD!

Not counting the Atlanta Constitution, Facebook, Google and all the local channels and national networks.

WHY does this keep happening?

As mentioned earlier, no one on the right seemed to care.

WTF do people on the right think was meant by, "a republic if you can keep it"?

I gave $20 for the runoff.  Rounds to zero alone but if 40 million (half o 80 million rightward voters with above average income) gave 20 that's 800 million.

Dem 'volunteers' are paid, does anyone not know that?  You work the block, the neighborhood, and get paid for it.  And someone checks your work, a higher paid 'organizer'. They gather and return ballots, right?

Meanwhile we sit home and hope people "turnout" on a bad weather day for an alleged wife batterer who doesn't love his kids, pays for abortions, lives out of state etc.

A little further North, no one held a few minor alleged personal defects against Fetterman when they wanted their ideology represented

Does anyone want to learn anything from this, other than to give up?.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 06:28:32 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: December 07, 2022, 06:17:47 AM »
" For the moment I am ashamed of my party and ashamed of my country."

"As one might whisper at Augusta, this was a makeable putt."

yes .  I don't know how many judges get appointed but it is free reign now
by a half senile lying crooked Democrat who should never have been President from day one.

It is up to Kevin McCarthy to hold down hatches till '24.

meanwhile the academics those maintaining the wide open border keep working on making more Democrats

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: December 07, 2022, 07:05:52 AM »
"" For the moment I am ashamed of my party and ashamed of my country."

"As one might whisper at Augusta, this was a makeable putt."

while Dems keep winning and we keep losing the country
all I hear is Hunter Biden.........

from our side......    :cry:

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: December 07, 2022, 12:04:27 PM »
Woof Gents:

I share your mood.

Too busy catching up from four days without electricity to comment though.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: December 07, 2022, 01:46:33 PM »
and you thought you were safe (r) in NC  :-o

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Sinema to switch to R ?
« Reply #1358 on: December 07, 2022, 03:48:42 PM »
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/kyrsten-sinema-democrats-biden/2022/12/07/id/1099525/

she would be most welcome even if she have her arms around Romney in the photo   :-o

(Mitt, you dog  :-D)f

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: December 07, 2022, 05:27:47 PM »
That would be fg AWESOME!!!

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Sinema "Indepedent"
« Reply #1360 on: December 09, 2022, 06:31:55 AM »
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/kyrsten-sinema-independent-senator/2022/12/09/id/1099783/

Another Independent who is really a Democrat and  "Independent in name only"

The other 2 are really Democrats, Angus King and Burnie Sanders (faux independents)

Article does not state if she will "caucus with democrats " but we can probably assume she will

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
we will have 9 seat lead in Congress
« Reply #1362 on: December 10, 2022, 09:30:34 AM »
I'll take it :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/118th_United_States_Congress

double the count (q 2 yrs)

back to 1686?

early Congress must have been counted yearly ?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
but Herschel not offering 1/4 mill in reparations
« Reply #1363 on: December 10, 2022, 02:53:01 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/herschel-walkers-wife-had-obsessive-181028413.html

You just can't just be black
you have to convince Black Americans why you are better for them .....

this lesson is clear

I am trying to figure out how many Blacks voted for Tim Scott. in SC

but cannot find it in googling

if he can't bring in more Black voters no one can

« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 08:50:36 AM by ccp »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 07:23:17 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: December 11, 2022, 08:56:07 AM »
"My understanding is Tim Scott's vote demographic looks similar to that of a (popular) white conservative."

LBJ was right .   My understanding was more Republicans voted for the civil rights act in '64 then Dems many of whom were southern segregationists.

If only Barry Goldwater would have supported instead of turning it over to LBJ..

of course lamenting "if only " does not help us now.....

can anyone image what a new government largess that will further bankrupt this country
reparations would be?

was on Bongino or Newsmax when a guest stated we will need to new *DEPARTMENT OF REPARATIONS"

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
US Senate, Joe Manchin
« Reply #1367 on: December 12, 2022, 09:51:26 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Boebert wins by 546
« Reply #1368 on: December 13, 2022, 05:43:10 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Gen. Flynn calls for Trump as Speaker of the House
« Reply #1371 on: December 17, 2022, 11:56:09 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
NRO: How Trump Cost Republicans the Senate
« Reply #1372 on: December 19, 2022, 07:46:14 PM »
As I post this I have not had a chance to give it a proper read, but from the intro I'd say it looks to be pretty devastating:
=====================

How Trump Cost Republicans the Senate

Former president Donald Trump speaks in support of candidates Doug Mastriano and Mehmet Oz at a rally in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., September 3, 2022. (Andrew Kelly/Reuters)
By DAN MCLAUGHLIN
December 19, 2022 6:33 PM

When you look at the big Senate races, it is clear that Donald Trump blew his party’s chances at claiming the majority.

Author’s note: This is the first in a series of articles looking at Donald Trump’s impact on the Republican candidates chosen to run in the 2022 midterms.

Amajor reason why many Republicans and conservatives have increasingly soured on Donald Trump following the underwhelming 2022 election cycle is that Trump played a crucial, often decisive role in picking so many of the bad candidates who lost winnable races. What follows is an examination of exactly how badly Trump harmed Republicans, beginning in this first installment with the big three Senate races in Pennsylvania, Georgia, and Arizona. All three were eminently winnable with good candidates, and any two would have given the party control of the Senate.

Trump and his defenders argue that he endorsed more than 200 candidates who won, and that this outweighs his losing endorsements. Clearly, as unpopular as Trump is, being endorsed by Trump was not a kiss of death all by itself. Nor did voters reject candidates merely for what the GOP’s more florid critics call “complicity.” In Florida, Marco Rubio won by 16 points running with Trump’s general-election endorsement, double his 2016 margin. In Utah, Trump endorsed the reelection of Mike Lee. Evan McMullin built his whole Senate campaign around Lee’s post-election text messages with Trump’s chief of staff, Mark Meadows. Lee faced a surprisingly competitive race — he got the lowest vote share of any Utah Republican for the Senate since 1974 — but he won by double digits anyway.

But Mike Lee and Marco Rubio were not chosen or recruited by Donald Trump. And therein lies the difference.

In examining how Republicans ended up with so many losing candidates in winnable races, tallying endorsements is the wrong question. Trump padded his list by backing a ton of safe House incumbents with no real primary challengers. The more important question in assessing whether Trump should continue in a leadership role in the party is what role he played in the party’s selection of candidates in 2022.

That role goes beyond simply a numerical scoreboard of endorsements. Trump deterred some potential candidates, even incumbents, from running. He endorsed unsuccessful primary challengers to candidates who won in November. He helped some candidates win their primaries with decisively timed interventions. He endorsed others only when they had locked up their nominations, or only in the general election. Once the campaigns began, some Trump-endorsed candidates ran standard Republican campaigns; others, even those not formally endorsed by Trump, went all-in on 2020 stolen-election theories. The latter fared much worse.

A separate question, not examined here, is the impact of Trump, Stop the Steal, January 6, and the poor candidates recruited or endorsed by Trump on the huge spending advantages enjoyed by Democrats in many key races.

Turnout and Persuasion

Candidate selection is, of course, not the only way in which Trump negatively affected the midterms. As I have detailed from exit poll data, Trump was massively unpopular with the people who voted in the midterms. The people who said that they were casting a vote to oppose Trump greatly outnumbered those who said that they came out to support Trump. Indeed, the margin between the anti-Trump and pro-Trump voters was, by itself, enough to play a decisive difference in nearly every Republican defeat for which we have exit polls.

Whatever issues Republicans had with turning out their voters early or by mail-in balloting, the electorate wasn’t the main problem. According to the exit polls, the national electorate was R+3 — in other words, three points more Republican than Democrat, 36 percent to 33 percent. If you’re familiar with party identification in polls, R+3 is extraordinary red-wave turnout. The national electorate was D+7 in 2008, D+4 in 2016 and 2018, and D+1 in 2020. It was evenly divided in 2004 and 2010, the former for George W. Bush’s national popular majority, the latter for a 63-seat red wave in the House. It was R+1 in 2014, when Republicans gained nine Senate seats.

On a state-by-state level, exit polls show an electorate that was astoundingly Republican: R+14 in Florida, R+11 in Ohio and Texas, R+6 in Georgia and Arizona, R+5 in North Carolina, R+3 in Pennsylvania, R+2 in Nevada and Wisconsin, and R+1 in New Hampshire. I have expressed some skepticism about whether those polls classified too many Democrat-leaning voters as independents, but the data we have are hard to square with the theory that Republicans lost mainly due to failure to use mail-in balloting and early voting to turn out their voters.

The Key Senate Races

One must look race-by-race to see the true scale of Trump’s impact on Republican fortunes in 2022. It was not all negative in every case — but on balance, it was so overwhelmingly negative that only a determined effort at denial can avoid acknowledging the damage done. I will award a letter grade to each race to summarize Trump’s impact.

The most important elections of 2022 were the contests for the Senate. The Senate controls the courts. Each election yields a six-year term, so the consequences of this cycle would be felt until the end of the next presidential term. It entered this cycle divided 50/50. Senate races are traditionally highly correlated with presidential approval, so Joe Biden’s low standing offered a lot of Republican opportunities, but big-money statewide races can buck trends due to individual candidates.

Democrats had only one retirement, that of an elderly incumbent in deep-blue Vermont, but they had short-tenured incumbents in vulnerable seats in Georgia and Arizona, and there were other potential Republican pickups, such as Nevada and New Hampshire. Meanwhile, Republicans had to defend seats they won in good GOP years in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Ohio.

Pennsylvania: By any standard, the Pennsylvania Senate race was the year’s most important election. It turned out to be the only Senate seat to change parties, in a state that Trump carried by 0.7 points in 2016 and that Biden won by 1.2 points in 2020. It began 2022 with one senator from each party, a Democratic governor, and a Republican state legislature.

The top Republican priority should have been persuading incumbent Pat Toomey to run again. Every single Senate incumbent ended up getting reelected in 2022, as well as all but one incumbent governor (a Democrat). In retrospect, Toomey would almost certainly have been reelected in this environment. Trump, whose relations with Toomey were always frosty, did nothing to help persuade Toomey to stay on, and much to drive him away.

Toomey publicly announced his retirement a few weeks before the 2020 election, before he voted to impeach Trump over January 6 (after voting against the first impeachment). He offered principled reasons to not stay too long in public office. Like other Republicans who passed on winnable races, Toomey won’t exactly say that he retired rather than continue dealing with Trump and his influence on the party. So, it is possible that Toomey would have retired anyway. But given his small-government Tea Party principles and how obviously uncomfortable Toomey was with having Trump as the party leader, it seems clear that Trump’s continuing influence contributed to Toomey deciding to pack it in rather than fight for his seat.

Trump wasn’t worried: He had his man, Sean Parnell. Trump’s first endorsement to replace Toomey, in September 2021, was a failed 2020 congressional candidate who had never won an election, and whom Trump touted as “a great candidate, who got robbed in his congressional run in the Crime of the Century — the 2020 Presidential Election Scam.” Whatever might be said for Parnell’s political talents, he withdrew from the race after an ugly divorce in which his wife accused him of domestic abuse. Lest we pass too quickly over this disastrous judgment by Trump, imagine the national narrative if the domestic violence charges against Parnell had come out after he won the nomination, and while Herschel Walker was already dealing with similar baggage.

Enter Dr. Mehmet Oz, who won Trump’s endorsement on April 9, 2022, a little over five weeks before the May 17 primary. Despite nearly universal name recognition, Oz was then at 16.3 percent in the RealClearPolitics poll average, six points behind front-runner David McCormick in what was effectively a five-candidate field, none of whom had ever won elected office. Trump’s intervention was likely the decisive factor: Oz pulled ahead in the polls ten days later and never trailed. But he was hardly an overwhelming choice of the primary electorate, beating McCormick by 950 votes out of 1.35 million cast and capturing 31.2 percent of the vote. The other 68.8 percent of Republican primary voters were stuck with him.

(Real Clear Politics)
Oz was a strange choice. He was not the natural MAGA candidate in the race: Kathy Barnette ran a much more populist campaign, embraced the Stop the Steal movement identified with so many other controversial Trump candidates who rejected the 2020 election outcome, and basically ran as a ticket with Trump-endorsed gubernatorial candidate Doug Mastriano. Barnette inspired some real populist energy in the western half of Pennsylvania, but she also had her own severe flaws. Trump seems to have warmed to Oz mainly because he was a celebrity and because he gave Trump a flattering bill of health when they met in 2016. He had previously served under Trump on the President’s Council on Sports, Fitness, and Nutrition, although being a former Trump official is often a path to becoming one of Trump’s enemies.

Oz was not without his strengths. In addition to being massively famous and a smoothly experienced television performer, he is highly intelligent and intensely hard-working. He campaigned tirelessly, and by all accounts took seriously the role of a future Senator. He was, nonetheless, a poor candidate for reasons that were obvious from the outset. He lacked warmth — no bedside manner for the TV doc — and his lack of a prior record of political engagement made him seem a rich dilettante. His long residence in New Jersey allowed John Fetterman’s campaign to paint the Muslim with Turkish citizenship as “not a real Pennsylvanian.” Despite his distinguished medical record, he also carried an odor of quackery from some of the things he’d promoted during his TV career.

With 46.3 percent of the vote — two and a half points behind Trump’s own 2020 showing — Oz ended up running just under four points ahead of Mastriano, whose campaign was an even bigger fiasco also traceable to Trump’s malign influence. Mastriano and Oz took the Republican majority in the state house down with them. But at the congressional level, Republican House candidates won 52.5 percent of the vote statewide, and Republicans held their majority in the state senate, in which they also won a majority of the votes cast statewide. Even if you exclude the two House districts in which Republicans ran unopposed, Oz ran five to six points behind the party’s House candidates.

Looking geographically, Pennsylvania is traditionally divided in a way that compels both parties to make choices about the coalitions they pursue. The eastern part of the state is more upscale and educated and prefers socially moderate, fiscally conservative Republicans; the western part is more white working class and populist. The east is Arlen Specter country; the west is Rick Santorum country. Toomey, despite coming to office via successive primary challenges to Specter, was always more an eastern Pennsylvania guy. Even in 2016, Trump ran far ahead of Toomey in Western Pennsylvania, and Toomey ran even farther ahead of Trump in Eastern Pennsylvania.

(Pa.gov)
Compared with those two paths to victory, Oz was the worst of both worlds. He ran ahead of Trump’s 2016 coalition in only one county, Philadelphia itself. He lost two counties Trump won: Northampton on the New Jersey border, and Erie in far northwestern Pennsylvania. Oz ran stronger than Toomey in a bunch of the thinly populated western counties, reflecting the reddening of those counties as well as Oz’s association with the Trump brand. But he did so at the cost of losing seven counties carried by Toomey, some of them among the state’s most populous: not just Erie and Northampton, but two heavily populated upscale suburban Philadelphia counties (Bucks and Chester), Dauphin, Centre (home of Penn State), and Allegheny (Fetterman’s home county, which contains Pittsburgh).

Oz ran ahead of the party’s 2022 House candidates only in three counties. All three were in counties he lost in the easternmost parts of the state: Philadelphia, Chester, and heavily Democratic Lackawanna. But his failure to keep the pace cost him even in the east and center of the state: Bucks and Centre, which Oz lost, were won by House Republicans.

A stronger candidate should have been able to do more against Fetterman, who had a debilitating stroke in May and was visibly impaired throughout the campaign, especially when the two candidates debated on October 25. Republicans would likely have been wiser to pick McCormick, who worked for the Commerce and Treasury departments during the George W. Bush administration. Also a novice candidate, and perhaps vulnerable to some similar populist attacks for being the CEO of a Connecticut-based hedge fund, McCormick looked more like a Toomey-style candidate retrofitted with some harder edges for the Trump era. At least one early poll had McCormick three points ahead of Fetterman in the spring at a time when Oz trailed him by nine.

Given the absence of any Republican alternative besides Toomey who had ever won an election, I will be charitable and give Trump a D, but the sheer number of ways in which he drove the final outcome argues against any better grade.

Georgia: The single biggest target among Democrat incumbents in the Senate was Raphael Warnock. Georgia still has strong Republican roots (until 2020, no Republican had lost a statewide race in Georgia in 20 years), and Warnock was seen by many Republicans as essentially an accidental senator elected in the midst of Trump’s post-2020 tantrum. After all, the Republican candidates got more votes than the Democratic candidates in Warnock’s race on Election Day in 2020, just as David Perdue got more votes on Election Day, 2020 than did Jon Ossoff — until the runoff was blighted by Trump’s sore-loser campaign.

Even moreso than in Pennsylvania, the recruiting of a challenger to Warnock cannot be separated from either the endgame of the 2020 election or from the 2022 election for governor. Because Governor Brian Kemp and Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger stood in Trump’s way in the 2020 election controversy, Trump publicly swore revenge and set about recruiting his own slate of candidates for nearly every major office in Georgia.

Two of those recruits — former senator David Perdue, running against Kemp, and Congressman Jody Hice, running against Raffensperger — might have been formidable challengers to Warnock, had they kept their distance from Trump’s stolen-election obsessions. So might any number of experienced political figures in Georgia. Instead, Trump talked Herschel Walker into running. Arguably the greatest living Georgia sports legend, Walker played for Trump’s New Jersey Generals in the mid 1980s; he was thus a friend of Trump long before either man got into politics. Few Georgia Republicans wanted to go head-to-head with Walker in a primary. For a variety of reasons, not least of which was the need to pick their battles with Trump in the Georgia primaries, most leading Republicans in Georgia and nationally took a pass on opposing Walker, who faced only poorly funded opponents. Thus, while there is blame to go around among national and statewide Republicans in declining to present a serious alternative to Walker, Trump was pivotal to getting him into the race and deterring opposition.

The strategy of picking their battles with Trump worked for the rest of the ticket: Aside from the lieutenant governor’s race, all of Trump’s other endorsees lost in the primary, several of them (including Perdue) by substantial margins. All of those Republicans went on to win on Election Day by five or more points. Up and down the ticket, even in federal races for the House, Republicans had a good election in Georgia — except for Walker. An analysis by Nate Cohn of the New York Times emphasized that there was plenty of Republican voter turnout in Georgia, and that Republicans were likelier to turn out than Democrats — a pattern we have seen across a number of states. Even Walker supporters in polls were likelier to turn out than Warnock supporters. The New York Times/Siena poll found that Georgia voters wanted Republicans to control the Senate; they just didn’t vote that way, because they didn’t like the candidate.

A full catalogue of Walker’s well-known failures as a candidate is unnecessary here. His weakness as a public speaker, his documented mental-health issues, and his moral failures were all either apparent or easily discovered at the time Trump persuaded him to run for the Senate.

As in Pennsylvania, it is not entirely clear who would have run and beaten Warnock without Trump’s meddling, but the strength of the Georgia Republicans and the catastrophic recruiting of Walker justifies giving Trump an F.

Arizona: In Arizona, there was a mounting fissure in the state Republican Party going into 2022, which Trump has done everything in his power to exacerbate. The old party establishment, an uneasy alliance of moderates with Reagan/Goldwater libertarian-leaning conservatives, was arguably more successful before Trump than the Georgia Republicans:

Arizona remains a red state in every meaningful sense. Republicans have controlled both houses of the state legislature for two decades, and appear to have retained control this year. Before 2022, Democrats hadn’t elected a state attorney general since 2006 or a state treasurer since the 1960s; the state treasurer’s race this year was a Republican blowout, the attorney general’s race still too close to call, but likely a very narrow Democratic pickup. Before 2018, Democrats hadn’t won a Senate race in the state since 1988. Before 2020, Bob Dole in 1996 was the only Republican to lose Arizona at the presidential level since 1948 — and 1948 was also the last time a Democrat won a majority of the popular presidential vote there. From 1968 through 1992, Democratic presidential candidates never cracked 40 percent in Arizona; from 2000 through 2016, they never cracked 45 percent. In the House, Republicans have held onto six of the state’s nine seats, winning the popular vote across those House races by a margin of 56.9 percent to 43.1 percent. Two Republican incumbents ran unopposed, but even if you arbitrarily assume that Democrats would have taken a third of the vote in each of those deep-red districts, Republicans would still have won the statewide vote for the House by 51.3 percent to 48.7 percent. Exit polls showed an electorate that was 33 percent Republican, 27 percent Democrat, 36 percent self-identified conservatives, and 22 percent self-identified liberals.

Some cracks were showing by the Trump era. Jeff Flake won his Senate seat with just 49.2 percent of the vote in 2012, but that was a year when Republicans won only two of the 13 Senate races decided by less than 15 points (Dean Heller in Nevada was the other). John McCain won a career-low 53.7 percent of the vote in 2016 after fending off a populist primary challenge from Kelli Ward, whom he defeated by twelve points. Both McCain and Flake drifted left in office and fell out with Trump. In 2018, a Democratic wave year but one more congenial to Republican Senate candidates, conventional Republican Martha McSally won the nomination with 55 percent of the vote when Ward and Sheriff Joe Arpaio divided the populist wing, but McSally went on to lose to Kyrsten Sinema by a little over two points.

In the round of musical chairs that followed McCain’s death in 2018, Governor Doug Ducey first picked former senator John Kyl as a placeholder, then — in a rare misstep by Ducey — chose McSally to hold and try to defend the seat in 2020. Ward became the state-party chair. McSally ran a lackluster campaign and lost to Mark Kelly in 2020. She ran two points behind Trump, who lost Arizona by a hair. Trump, backed enthusiastically by Ward, charged pervasive fraud in the 2020 election, and demanded an expensive audit of Maricopa County, which concluded that Trump lost the county by slightly more than the official count.

Trump declared war on Ducey, for certifying the 2020 election, and on state attorney general Mark Brnovich, for concluding that Joe Biden did not steal Arizona. Ward led the state party in censuring Ducey, Flake, and McCain’s widow, stopping short only from censuring McCain himself posthumously. She may as well have censured Arizona’s Republican voters.

The bland Kelly was in some ways a fatter target than Warnock in 2022, tying himself closely to Biden and his agenda (both of which are unpopular in Arizona) while Sinema acted as one of the few effective checks on Biden’s money-printing machine. The top recruit sought by Mitch McConnell and other Republicans was Ducey, who was term-limited from seeking a third term as governor. Arguably the most effective enactor of conservative policy in the country, Ducey was elected state treasurer with 52 percent of the vote in 2010, won the governorship with 53 percent in 2014 (after winning a six-way primary by 15 points), crushed a primary challenge in 2018 by 40 points and went on to be reelected with 56 percent of the vote.

Like Toomey, Ducey won’t say he passed on a Senate bid because of Trump, and as a career executive in business and politics, he likely had little enthusiasm for moving to Washington to become one of 100. Still, without Trump’s enmity, Ducey could likely have sailed to the nomination and would probably have beaten Kelly. It is hard not to conclude that Ducey’s falling-out with Trump, which was caused entirely by Trump’s rage over the 2020 election, contributed mightily to Ducey passing on the race.

Arizona could still have run a proven conservative, because Brnovich was not similarly deterred. Brnovich toppled a Republican incumbent in the 2014 primary, won 53 percent of the vote to become state attorney general that fall, and won 52 percent in his reelection in 2018, running four points behind Ducey but four points ahead of McSally. He is best known nationally for a successful 2021 Supreme Court defense of Arizona’s election laws against all the usual Democratic charges of racism, voter suppression, Jim Crow, and the rest. But defending actual election integrity put him, too, at odds with Trump. In December 2021, Kari Lake (running for governor of Arizona) “headlined a rally outside Brnovich’s office in December and used her time at the microphone to demand Brnovich file charges and make arrests.” In April 2022, Trump issued a statement claiming that Brnovich had disregarded “massive information on the fraud” and “crime committed” in the 2020 election that was “compelling, irrefutable, and determinative.” Trump promised an endorsement of one of his opponents:

Brnovich offered the reliability that characterized winning Republican candidates in 2022, but the attacks from Trump and Lake took their toll. Brnovich led by double digits in some early polls. If the modest public polling in the race can be trusted, he was still at or near the front of the pack until June 2, when Trump endorsed Blake Masters. Trump wasn’t shy about why: “Blake knows that the ‘Crime of the Century’ took place, he will expose it and also, never let it happen again,” he declared. Masters responded that “President Trump is a great man and a visionary.” Alayna Treene of Axios reported that “one key factor was Masters’ attendance at a screening of the 2020 election conspiracy documentary, “2,000 Mules,” at Mar-a-Lago last month — a move Trump thought gave him an edge over the other candidates, according to two sources.”

Masters — in single digits until late April — leaped ahead and ended up winning the primary with 40.1 percent of the vote. Brnovich, the two-time winner of statewide popular majorities, got 17.8 percent.

(Real Clear Politics)
This turned out to be a disastrously bad endorsement. Masters, who unlike Ducey or Brnovich had never run for office or won an election before, was a strange, creepy guy with no personal charisma. Assessments of how he went over with the public found “some of the worst focus-group results of any Republican candidate ever, according to the head of a Mitch McConnell–aligned super PAC; lower favorability ratings than Roy Moore, according to an internal poll of the Arizona Senate race.”

Masters took fire for being too Trumpy, and also for some amateur efforts to have it both ways. After he scrubbed from his website his primary-season claims about the 2020 election and said in a debate that Biden was the “legitimate president,” he got a call from Trump, who demanded that he not “go soft” and follow Lake’s model: “Look at Kari. Kari’s winning with very little money. And if they say, ‘How is your family?’ she says the election was rigged and stolen. You’ll lose if you go soft. You’re going to lose that base.” (Lake lost). Masters promised Trump, “I’m not going soft.” Tucker Carlson, for some reason, thought Masters’s sycophantic responses to Trump were helpful to him, and played the call on national TV. Masters kicked up a similar storm when he seemed to back away from pro-life commitments made during the primary.

He also brought a lot of strange baggage of his own. He touted the Unabomber when asked in a debate to name a thinker people should know more about. His past included all sorts of weird paleolibertarian stuff like this:

In a 2006 post on the libertarian site LewRockwell.com, he rehashed an elaborate conspiracy theory about the United States’ entry into World War I, implying a connection between the banking “Houses of Morgan and Rothschild” and the failure to alert American steamship passengers to German threats that preceded the sinking of the Lusitania. His main source was C. Edward Griffin, an ardent libertarian who once said that “The Protocols of the Elders of Zion” — a notorious antisemitic forgery — “accurately describe much of what is happening in our world today.”

He was pulverized by Democrats for touting entitlement reform and saying, in a debate, “Maybe we should privatize Social Security.” Naturally, Kelly misrepresented this as a plot to defund the system, but it allowed Masters to be saddled with all of the baggage of the Romney–Ryan era Republican Party in addition to all the baggage of Trump and a trove of stuff that sounded like it came from a Ron Paul newsletter. Meanwhile, there ended up being a festival of finger-pointing between Masters, tech magnate Peter Thiel, McConnell, and Trump over whose responsibility it was to adequately fund the general election campaign. Masters, who relied heavily upon the patronage of Thiel in the primary, enjoyed no such financial edge against Kelly, who outspent him significantly.

The results weren’t pretty. Compare Masters’s showing with that of the top-of-the-ticket Republican candidates for president, senator, or governor since 2016, along with the midterm statewide votes for Republican House candidates in 2018 and 2022. Masters was the weakest of the bunch, losing by nearly five points, more than two points worse than either of McSally’s campaigns:

(Dan McLaughlin)
As in Pennsylvania, Republicans ran up the score in the popular vote for the House because Paul Gosar and Debbie Lesko both ran unopposed, but the House GOP slate still drew 81,000 more votes than Masters. Masters ran nearly ten points behind Ducey in 2018, in a much more favorable environment for Republicans. This was a fiasco.

Per the exit polls, the 36-year-old Masters lost voters in their 30s by 21 points, and voters in their forties by eleven. He lost white voters (by one point), which no Republican can survive in any jurisdiction in America, on account of losing white women by ten and white college graduates by 18. He lost independents by 16 and moderates by 30. He won 89 percent of Republicans, while Kelly was winning 97 percent of Democrats and six percent of 2020 Trump voters. He lost suburbanites, who make up 48 percent of the Arizona electorate, by one. He ran up only a twelve-point margin among white voters without college degrees. Kelly rolled up a 59-point margin among the 63 percent of the electorate who thought Biden won the 2020 election. Fifty-seven percent of Arizona voters had an unfavorable view of Trump, and Masters lost them by 72 points; 57 percent disapproved of Biden, but Masters had a less commanding 66 point margin among them. Kelly won 28 percent of voters who listed inflation as their top issue.

The 800-pound gorilla of Arizona elections is Maricopa County, which houses both Phoenix and Mesa and accounts for about 60 percent of the state’s voters. The other big county is Pima, which includes Tuscon and the southern border. Traditionally, Maricopa leans modestly Republican, while Pima is heavily Democrat, and the rest of the state is deep red. Arizona’s blue shift in recent years has not, unlike in some states, been driven by a disproportionate population shift towards the big, urban-centered counties. It has been largely the result of demographic and political change within Maricopa.

Maricopa’s share of the state electorate peaked in the 2020 presidential and Senate races, but not by a large amount. In 2022, Maricopa turnout was down significantly in the House races, due in part to a chunk of the county being included in Lesko’s and Gosar’s districts. Overall, the rest of the state outside of Maricopa and Pima was a larger share of the electorate in 2022 across the board than in any recent election. Arizona Republicans didn’t lose in 2022 because the red hinterlands got swamped by the big cities; quite the opposite happened:

(Dan McLaughlin)
Masters was a terrible candidate for Maricopa. He lost the county by six points just four years after Ducey carried it by nearly 14, and while the county was swinging from 50-48 percent Democrat to 57-40 percent Republican in House races. He did worse there than Trump, Lake, or McSally:

(Dan McLaughlin)
Kelly, meanwhile, ran up bigger margins against Masters in Pima than any Democrat had done in recent years, even Katie Hobbs in her campaign against Lake:

(Dan McLaughlin)
What about heavily rural red Arizona? Here, at last, Masters wasn’t the very worst, compared with McSally’s 2018 campaign, but his 12.4 point margin of victory in the rest of the state pales in comparison with Ducey, McCain, or Lake — three very different candidates:

(Dan McLaughlin)
Maybe Arizona Republicans would not have recruited Ducey for the Senate without Trump, and maybe Brnovich would have lost to Jim Lamon in the primary. But clearly, Trump’s intervention had a disfiguring impact on this election from start to finish, leading to the worst statewide defeat for Arizona Republicans since at least the 2006 race for governor, accomplished by a candidate who excited nobody and turned off every category of persuadable voter. F.

If Donald Trump had simply disappeared after losing the 2020 election, it is highly likely that Republicans would have won at least two of these three races, and probably all three. They would today control the Senate. In the next installment, I will follow how much further his leadership damaged the party in 2022.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Congress, Senate, Manchin, switch parties?
« Reply #1373 on: December 21, 2022, 01:20:36 PM »
From the border thread where he spoke out against Biden.  Manchin is also feuding with Democrats over energy (coal).

“And I think that basically, I will make my decision (about switching parties) whenever I make the decision, or if I do make a decision, I will do it, and I’m not in any hurry to do that,” Manchin continued. On CNN with Jake Tapper
--------------

We may be better off without the switch and defeating or replacing him in 2024.  He has indicated he will be as much of a thorn in the side to R's as he is to Dems.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WT on McCarthy
« Reply #1374 on: December 22, 2022, 07:01:48 AM »
Can the unpopular McCarthy actually grab the speaker’s gavel? Dysfunctional Republicans rule the House By Joseph Curl Y

ou know who doesn’t like Rep. Kevin Mc Carthy? Kevin McCarthy’s mentor. “The Kevin McCarthy who is now, at this time, in the House isn’t the Kevin McCarthy I worked with,” former Rep. Bill Thomas, 81, told The New Yorker this week. Thomas served as a mentor to Mr. McCarthy as both were Republican lawmakers from California.

Mr. Thomas described his former protégé as mendacious, always on the lookout for what can benefit him politically.

“Kevin basically is whatever you want him to be. He lies. He’ll change the lie if necessary. How can anyone trust his word?” Mr. Thomas said. “He’s the guy in the college fraternity that everybody liked and winds up selling life insurance, convincing people they need it.”

Ouch. The scathing New Yorker article comes just as Mr. McCarthy is trying to talk his fellow Republicans into voting for him as the new speaker of the House. The current minority leader has made a lot of enemies along the way, and at least five Republicans have already said they won’t support him.

That’s a big problem because the GOP controls the chamber by a thin 222-213 margin, and losing five votes would put Mr. McCarthy below the 218-vote majority he needs to wield the gavel.

A week after the dismal showing by the GOP in the 2022 midterm elections, Mr. McCarthy won the Republican Party’s nomination to become the next speaker of the House. But then all hell broke loose, and now, it’s all up in the air.

The GOP caucus is fractured: A slew of splinter caucuses are battling for a share of power, meaning the California congressman has got to be all things to all people.

The conservative House Freedom Caucus has made numerous moves to be a central power broker in the GOP. The caucus, made up of 30 to 40 Republicans, last month sent potential new members a 55-page “Road Map” for the party, with a host of proposed rule changes, many of which sought to reduce the power of party leaders.

Other cliques are also looking for power. One known as the Problem Solvers Caucus pledges to be a centrist band that can help the GOP win battles in the House but will look for bipartisan support from Democrats.

Politico reported that the co-leaders of the Problem Solvers Caucus, Reps. Brian Fitzpatrick, Pennsylvania Republican, and Josh Gottheimer, New Jersey Democrat, met for dinner. They talked about changes that could unify and empower the 50 or so members of their group, including one idea that it would endorse only bills that have Republican and Democratic cosponsors when introduced.

Then there’s the Main Street Caucus, which touts itself on Twitter as “the 2nd largest Caucus of Republicans in the House,” adding that its top priorities are “implementing pro-growth policies for small business owners, fostering economic and individual prosperity [and] delivering results for the American people.”

“It’s time we flex our muscles,” Rep. Don Bacon, Nebraska Republican, co-leader of the Main Street Caucus, said, according to Newsmax.

The situation is getting even weirder.

House members “say preliminary conversations are happening among Republicans and Democrats about a possible contingency candidate if McCarthy cannot win the gavel after multiple ballots in the new GOPmajority House next month,” The Hill reported.

“We’ve had preliminary talks with the Democrats,” Mr. Bacon told reporters, according to C-SPAN. “If we have multiple, multiple votes, and they’re not willing to support what the far majority of the conference wants to do, we’re not going to be held hostage by them.”

And to make everything even weirder, former President Donald Trump has entered the game, backing Mr. McCarthy’s bid for speaker.

“Look, I think this: Kevin has worked very hard,” Mr. Trump said. “He is just — it’s been exhausting. If you think he’s been all over. I think he deserves the shot. Hopefully, he’s going to be very strong and going to be very good, and he’s going to do what everybody wants.”

Mr. McCarthy was a big Trump cheerleader, but that ship has sailed. With the release of egocentric NFTs showing Mr. Trump as Superman, among other bizarre cartoons, Republicans are busy moving on from The Don.

And Mr. McCarthy has miffed moderates, meaning he’s got very few paths that lead to holding the gavel.

The New Yorker piece summed it up: “‘Everyone knows the joke,’ a former House staffer told me. “’All Kevin McCarthy cares about is Kevin McCarthy. He is the man for this moment.’ His main strength has always been his malleability. There are no red lines, core policy beliefs, or inviolable principles, just a willingness to adapt to the moods of his conference.”

That’s gotta hurt. Mr. McCarthy will turn just 58 next month, but he is, weirdly, part of the Old Guard. Democrats smartly cleared their decks — when Speaker Nancy Pelosi, 81, announced she would step down from a leadership role next year, second-in-command Rep. Steny Hoyer, 83, and third-incommand Rep. James Clyburn, 82, announced they’re stepping down, too.

Want weirder? The election of the speaker happens before the House sets the rules for the 118th Congress, meaning the vote is not beholden to the chamber’s standard operating procedures. If Mr. McCarthy doesn’t win on the first ballot, all hell breaks loose.

And that’s just how dysfunctional Republicans can be. Joseph Curl covered the White House and politics for a decade for The Washington Times. He can be reached at josephcurl@gmail.com and on Twitter @josephcurl.

ILLUSTRATION BY LINAS GARSYS POLITICAL

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
18 Rep Senators with Schumer
« Reply #1375 on: December 23, 2022, 11:16:26 AM »
THE 18 REPUBLICANSWHO VOTED WITH SCHUMER… Here Are The 18 Senate Republicans Who Voted For $1.7 Trillion Omnibus Bill

Eighteen Senate Republicans voted to pass the $1.7 trillion omnibus package Thursday that includes hundreds of billions in defense and domestic spending.

The final vote on the 4,155-page bill was 68-29. Republican Sens. Roy Blunt (MO), John Boozman (AR), Shelley Moore Capito (WV), Susan Collins (ME), John Cornyn (TX), Tom Cotton (AR), Lindsey Graham (SC), Jim Inhofe (OK), Mitch McConnell (KY), Jerry Moran (KS), Lisa Murkowski (AK), Robert Portman (OH), Mitt Romney (UT), Mike Rounds (SD), Richard Shelby (AL), John Thune (SD), Roger Wicker (MS) and Todd Young (IN) all voted in favor of the legislation.

ROMNEY MITTS ALL OVER HIS OWN PARTY… Romney Says He Didn’t Trust GOP-Controlled House To Craft A Budget (VIDEO)

Republican Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah said Thursday that he backed a $1.7 trillion omnibus spending bill because he did not trust House Republicans to handle crafting a budget in light of Republican Rep. Kevin McCarthy of California’s difficult campaign for speaker of the House.

“House Republicans say that they want to craft a budget, but they haven’t yet been able to select a speaker,” Romney said, referencing the fact that several House Republicans came out in opposition to McCarthy’s bid for speaker. Romney noted it would be very difficult to sort out budgets for the current fiscal year and the following fiscal year.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
The Replacement Theory in Action
« Reply #1377 on: December 27, 2022, 03:29:48 PM »
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/dec/27/not-all-house-members-are-created-equally-district/?utm_source=Boomtrain&utm_medium=subscriber&utm_campaign=newsalert&utm_content=newsalert&utm_term=newsalert&bt_ee=OzJOgS54dkxfkdN6pk5nYKDCTUzRrGy1PcxH7e6Va90gyJLE1pUoSgLaXrI3rv6K&bt_ts=1672148664487

Not all House members are created equally: Districts with big noncitizen populations warp elections

Rep. Ritchie Torres won reelection last month with roughly 73,000 votes, out of fewer than 90,000 cast in his district in the heart of the Bronx.

Slip across the East River and it took Nick LaLota 173,000 votes, out of more than 300,000 ballots cast, to win his Long Island race.

They’re in the same state, but those who cast ballots in Mr. Torres’ district effectively had three times as much political power in picking their member of Congress.

Some of that is population age, since only those over 18 are eligible to vote, but the biggest factor is immigration: Nearly 20% of his district are noncitizens — either illegal immigrants or legal ones who have not gotten citizenship.

They are still counted in divvying up districts, though, meaning that the citizens in Mr. Torres’ district benefit from living near so many noncitizens.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
NR: What should happen to George Santos
« Reply #1378 on: December 28, 2022, 08:15:30 AM »
What Should Happen to George Santos?

On the menu today: Should George Santos serve in the upcoming Congress? It’s not just that the congressman-elect isn’t a Jewish descendant of Holocaust survivors, as he had claimed, and made up large swaths of his résumé. There’s also the more significant question of how he suddenly amassed a fortune: a fortune he used to finance his successful congressional campaign.

Lies, Damned Lies, and $600,000

If the balance of partisan power of the House of Representatives would not change, and if it would have no effect on the upcoming selection of speaker of the House, would you want George Santos to stay in the House, or would you want him to resign?

It has become de rigueur among conservatives to point out that the Democrats are gargantuan hypocrites when it comes to a political figure’s lying about his background — and they are.

A few days ago, Tom Elliott listed all of the tall tales, sketchy claims, likely hallucinations, and outright lies offered by Joe Biden over the years. Among the highlights were Biden’s claims that:

he was arrested during a civil rights march;
he spent part of a summer working as a tractor-trailer driver;
he was arrested while trying to meet Nelson Mandela;
his son, Beau, was killed in Iraq (Beau Biden passed away after battling brain cancer at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Md.);
he graduated “top of his class” in college (he in fact graduated “near the bottom”);
he hit a 368’ home run in one of the congressional baseball games;
his first job offer was from an Idaho timber company.
There’s a lot more on Tom’s list. I just felt like offering links and background on the handful above.

Liberals are tying themselves in knots to explain how Biden’s false stories are mere exaggerations, or instances of Grandpa’s getting confused, while Santos’s lies require an automatic expulsion from Congress. MSNBC’s Chris Hayes attempted to draw such a distinction: “I think there’s a line between ‘normal’ politician bs-ing and conman serial lying, and he’s got infractions on either side of that line. I mean it would have been a pretty big deal if it turned out Joe Biden didn’t actually have a law degree!”

One of the reasons that pathological liars are attracted to politics is because there are partisans who are very eager to forgive and shrug at “normal politician BS-ing.” Aspiring officeholders see other politicians and think, “If they can get away with those lies, I can get away with my own!”

Imagine if we had an honest president. In that case, would Republicans want George Santos to take the oath of office on January 3, or would they tell the voters of New York’s third congressional district, “Nope, this guy is no good, go find somebody else”?

Or would they want to leave his fate in the hands of the voters, to be evaluated in the 2024 Republican congressional primary and/or general election?

New York’s third congressional district scores a D+3 on the Cook Partisan Voting Index, and Biden carried the district 54 percent to 44 percent in 2020. In other words, Santos’s victory (52 percent to 44 percent) in 2022 was an upset, a pleasant surprise for a GOP that didn’t get many other pleasant surprises in the midterms. If Santos were to resign, there’s no guarantee that a Republican candidate would replace him.

If the GOP had won a massive House majority in 2022, would Republicans feel differently about Santos’s remaining in the House? If this district was in Wyoming and represented a lock for whichever Republican won the primary, would they feel differently?

In case you’re new to the story, Representative-elect Santos admitted that he never graduated from any college, despite previously claiming to have received a degree from Baruch in 2010. He claimed to work at Citigroup and Goldman Sachs, but neither firm has any record of his working there; now Santos says he worked for a firm that worked with those financial giants. Then there are the indications that he’s not Jewish and perhaps not all that gay:

Santos, elected to Congress on Nov. 8 to represent the Long Island- and Queens-based 3rd District, was also accused of lying about his family history, saying on his campaign website that his mother was Jewish and his grandparents escaped the Nazis during World War II.

Santos now says that he’s “clearly Catholic,” but claims that his grandmother told stories about being Jewish and later converting to Catholicism.

“I never claimed to be Jewish,” Santos said. “I am Catholic. Because I learned my maternal family had a Jewish background I said I was ‘Jew-ish.’” [Note that Santos had issued statements that included the phrase, “As a proud American Jew . . .”]

Santos, the first openly gay non-incumbent Republican elected to the House, also faced accusations that he lied about his sexual orientation, with the Daily Beast reporting last week that he was previously married to a woman until shortly before he launched his unsuccessful 2020 campaign against Democrat Tom Suozzi.

The soon-to-be lawmaker confirmed to the Post on Monday that he was indeed married to a woman for about five years, from 2012 until his divorce in 2017, but insisted that he is now a happily married gay man.

You know we have become a more tolerant and open society when a politician is getting outed as straight.

Almost nothing that Santos claimed during the campaign has checked out, as our Ryan Mills reports:

Santos also claimed to have headed an animal-rescue charity, though the Internal Revenue Service has no record of it. Times reporters found no evidence to back up claims that he had a family-owned real-estate portfolio of 13 properties. Instead, they found that Santos had faced eviction lawsuits from his landlords in 2015 and 2017. And the woman who answered the door at the address where Santos is registered to vote told reporters she was not familiar with him.

Keep in mind that there is a potential public-corruption angle here, too, because Santos appears to have gotten extremely rich extremely quickly, and no one is sure who has paid him and for what:

He furthered the impression that he was independently wealthy by lending his campaign at least $580,000, and his political action committee at least $27,000, according to Federal Election Commission filings. The loans played a key role in his surprising victory and helped give Republicans a narrow majority in the House.

In his first bid for the House, Santos said in a 2020 financial disclosure that he had no assets or earned income, and he only cited a commission worth more than $5,000.

But by the time Santos filed his 2022 financial disclosure, he declared he was worth millions of dollars, with most of the wealth coming from a Florida company in which he was the sole owner: the Devolder Organization.

At one point, Santos said on his campaign website that Devolder was a privately held family firm that had $80 million in assets under management, a claim that has since been removed.

Documents filed with the Florida secretary of state show that Santos organized the company in May 2021, one month before he declared his latest candidacy. A little more than a year later, on July 30, 2022, the financial data company Dun & Bradstreet estimated that Devolder had a revenue of only $43,688.

. . .

In any case, on Sept. 6, when Santos filed his financial disclosure report with the clerk of the U.S. House, he said the Devolder Organization had provided him with millions of dollars. Santos reported that the Devolder Organization had paid him an annual salary of $750,000 in 2021 and 2022, and that the company was worth between $1 million and $5 million.

Congressional candidates and members of Congress are required to complete financial-disclosure forms, and Congress has authorized the U.S. attorney general to seek a civil penalty of up to $50,000, up to five years of imprisonment, or both, against an individual who knowingly and willfully falsifies or fails to file or to report any required information.

Right now, the most consequential question is where Santos got that $600,000 or so that he used to finance his campaign.

For all we know, some foreign power may have bought itself a congressman. This isn’t outlandish speculation, as one of his largest donors has ties to the Russian government. The Daily Beast pointed to a February 12 tweet from Santos that reads, “We are going to enter a war in the middle of the Eastern Europe winter against Russia, to defend the sovereignty of Ukraine. Meanwhile this is the sight at the US southern border, where our sovereignty is no longer a priority.”

Shockingly, pathological liars aren’t all that consistent in their foreign-policy beliefs, because ten days later Santos was telling Fox News that President Biden was too weak in standing up to Russia.

Congressional candidate George Santos, R-NY, feels President Biden has essentially looked the other way while Russia attacked Ukraine because of frail leadership, but the Republican candidate with family ties to the region believes a stronger administration would cut the Kremlin out at the knees.

“If we’re going to be honest about it, Joe Biden is a colossal failure for us, and I hate saying that because his failure is our failure, as a country. I want our country to succeed,” Santos told Fox News Digital from the 2022 Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Orlando as the Russian invasion unfolded. . . .

“It sends a signal to Russia, we’re pulling back sanctions. . . . If you’re not going to enforce your sanctions, if you’re not going to stand by them, to not only remove them from the SWIFT [banking] system,” Santos said.

“They need to remove them from the international banking community altogether,” he continued. “Cut them at the knees, cut their supply to oil, cut the pipeline. Sanction the pipeline, stop it. Don’t make it operational. It’s not operational yet. Sit down with Germany and say, ‘We need to make them understand that they are going to have severe consequences for their actions,’ but instead we’re giving them a pat on the shoulder.”

Could you imagine if there was some Russian plot to elect a congressman, and that congressman then turned around and called for tougher sanctions on Russia? Then again, based on what we know so far, does George Santos seem like the kind of crook who could stay bought?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: NR: What should happen to George Santos
« Reply #1379 on: December 28, 2022, 08:34:24 AM »
My first thought was my pride that Republicans don't put up with this sort of thing while Democrats do.

The article suggests second level thinking to me.  Make full use of the opportunity to end the double standard.  If I were Santos:
"I'll resign when Joe Biden does."
------------------------------------------

"A few days ago, Tom Elliott listed all of the tall tales, sketchy claims, likely hallucinations, and outright lies offered by Joe Biden over the years. Among the highlights were Biden’s claims that:

he was arrested during a civil rights march;
he spent part of a summer working as a tractor-trailer driver;
he was arrested while trying to meet Nelson Mandela;
his son, Beau, was killed in Iraq (Beau Biden passed away after battling brain cancer at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Md.);
he graduated “top of his class” in college (he in fact graduated “near the bottom”);
he hit a 368’ home run in one of the congressional baseball games;
his first job offer was from an Idaho timber company.
"

There are some much worse ones IMHO.  Being old and unable to think, remember or function is not an excuse for the POTUS and leader of the free world.  Plus his duplicity dates much further back.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Amer.Spectator : Santos as "hero"
« Reply #1381 on: December 31, 2022, 10:24:18 AM »
for exposing the abject hypocricy of the Dems and their propaganda machines:

https://spectator.org/heres-to-you-george-santos/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Scalise: GOP plans
« Reply #1383 on: January 01, 2023, 07:59:13 AM »
Scalise Reveals First Legislation for Republican House, Vows ‘Bold Agenda’
By Tom Ozimek December 31, 2022 Updated: January 1, 2023biggersmaller Print

0:00
7:08

Incoming House Majority Leader Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) revealed a list of legislation that he will bring up for Republicans to consider on the House floor when they assume control of the lower chamber in mere days and loosen the Democrats’ grip on power in Washington.

In a letter to his GOP colleagues, Scalise listed eight bills and three resolutions that he will be scheduling for Republicans to take up in their first two weeks of work after the 118th Congress begins at noon on Jan. 3.

“We have a lot of work ahead of us next year as we begin to get our country back on the right track,” Scalise wrote.

American voters have made their desire for change clear in the midterm election, Scalise said, noting frustration with soaring inflation, the rise in violent crime, and the crisis of illegal immigration.

“The last two years have been tough on hard-working families as they have grappled with drastic increases in the cost of living, safety concerns with violent crime skyrocketing in our communities, soaring gas and home heating prices, and a worsening crisis at our Southern border,” Scalise said.

The incoming Congress, he pledged, will work to fix these problems by passing bills that will improve the lives of “all Americans” with measures like getting tougher on crime by encouraging more prosecutions.

Republicans look to press what Scalise described as a “bold agenda” after winning enough seats in the midterms to retake the House and challenge the Democrats, who remain in control of the Senate and White House and so have the power to block legislation.

A review of the bills and resolutions Scalise has scheduled for the first two weeks of the new Congress—like defunding the IRS or restricting releases from the nation’s Strategic Petroleum Reserve—suggests Republicans want to send a message to the Biden administration that the winds of change are about to blow harder.

Tough on China, Tough on Crime
The first bill, dubbed the Family and Small Business Taxpayer Protection Act (pdf), aims to revoke some of the additional IRS funding that Democrats passed as part of their Inflation Reduction Act that the agency plans to use for tax enforcement.

With the bill, Republicans are targeting what Scalise said was “tens of billions of dollars allocated to the IRS for 87,000 new IRS agents.” That figure is in dispute, with the Biden administration saying much of the money would go to non-enforcement staff like customer service.

Getting tougher on China is another immediate action item for the House Republicans, with a resolution (pdf) that seeks to establish a bipartisan Select Committee on the strategic competition between the United States and the Chinese Communist Party (CCP).

The panel has long been a priority for Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), who hopes to become House speaker and who recently announced Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-Wis.) as his proposed chair of the committee.

Gallagher said in mid-December that he hopes for bipartisan cooperation on the committee, saying “our first priority right now is just getting the best team together,” noting that “a lot” of Democrats have reached out with interest in being on the panel.

“We want to make sure that we’re enhancing and elevating the discussion on China,” Gallagher said, noting that the top near-term priority is deterring Beijing from taking aggressive actions regarding Taiwan.

Other priorities of the panel, Gallagher said, is what he described as “economic statecraft” that would entail “smartly and selectively” decoupling from China.

“We don’t want American taxpayer dollars or retirement financial security subsidizing China’s military modernization or subsidizing genocide,” he said.

The third is ideological competition and human rights, he said, which would “shine a light on some of the malicious practices of the regime and the [Chinese Communist Party’s] abysmal human rights record.”

Domestic Energy, Border Security, Abortion
Another bill Scalise put forward is the Strategic Production Response Act (pdf), which would prohibit non-emergency drawdowns of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve without a parallel plan to boost energy production on federal lands.

Republicans have been highly critical of President Joe Biden for ordering the release of oil from the strategic reserve, arguing that it was a ploy to win votes ahead of the midterms by trying to lower pump prices.

Biden, for his part, has insisted the release was meant to stabilize global oil markets amid Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the ensuing energy price shock, as well as trying to lower prices for Americans amid decades-high inflation, of which a major component is the cost of energy.

Scalise has scheduled another related bill, called Protecting America’s Strategic Petroleum Reserve from China Act (pdf), which would restrict the energy secretary from selling oil from the strategic reserve to China.

Another bill is the Prosecutors Need to Prosecute Act (pdf), which would allow the public to see how many cases prosecutors are declining to prosecute, along with the number of criminals released onto the streets and the number of offenses committed by career criminals.

A related tough-on-crime resolution (pdf) seeks to express support for police while condemning efforts to defund or dismantle law enforcement agencies.

On border security, Scalise put forward a bill called the Border Safety and Security Act (pdf), which would give the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) the power to turn away people crossing the border illegally in order to gain “operational control” of the border.

Republicans have accused DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas of failing to ensure “operational control” of the border as illegal border crossings have surged.

Another related bill, called the Illegal Alien NICS Alert Act (pdf) would require the National Instant Criminal Background Check system (NICS) to notify U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and relevant local law enforcement if someone trying to buy a firearm is an illegal immigrant.

There are three abortion-related measures: two bills and a resolution.

One bill, called the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion and Abortion Insurance Full Disclosure Act (pdf), seeks to make the Hyde Amendment permanent and prohibit federal funding for abortions as well as funding for any insurance plans that include on-demand abortion.

The other bill, called Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act (pdf), would ensure that infants born alive after a failed abortion would receive the same legal protection and health care as a newborn.

Scalise also put forward a resolution (pdf) that would condemn attacks on pro-life facilities, groups, and churches.

In addition to the “ready-to-go” bills, Scalise said House Republicans would also develop oversight plans to bring “much-needed accountability” to the Biden administration.

He also endorsed McCarthy for House speaker.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: January 01, 2023, 08:20:30 AM »
“It is my privilege as Speaker to announce that the House will raise the maximum annual rate of pay for staff to $212,100,” Pelosi said in a Dear Colleague letter Friday."

That is the Democrat answer to everything.

Spend more money.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: McConnell - longest serving party leader in Senate award
« Reply #1386 on: January 03, 2023, 12:30:04 PM »
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/01/03/mitch-mcconnell-becomes-longest-serving-party-leader-in-senate-history/

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Swamp_King_(Dark_Multiverse)?file=Swamp_King_Dark_Multiverse_0001.jpg

What should come out of the fruitless McConnell Trump power struggle is loss of power for both of them.

Mcconnell, more than any other person, was responsible for Republicans winning or losing the Senate last year. That his candidates lost in primaries to Trump backed candidates was another sign of failed leadership.

Second place isn't a good in a two-party system.

We don't need to destroy him. It is simply, you tried, you failed, we're getting new leadership.  Anyone interested in the future of the party should understand that.

And change in leadership does not mean hand it to McConnell's second in command.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 12:32:30 PM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Fetterman's swearing in by Harris
« Reply #1387 on: January 04, 2023, 07:35:39 AM »
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/matt-margolis/2023/01/04/watch-fettermans-painfully-awkward-swearing-in-renews-doubts-about-ability-to-serve-n1658466

gives a new look to Lurch :

https://www.google.com/search?

q=lurch+youtube&rlz=1C5GCEM_enUS1001US1001&oq=lurch+youtube&aqs=chrome..69i57.4016j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:70cc9556,vid:lYQkudsfgwc

PS : I hated this show as a kid; I hate the reincarnation of Lurch even more
       don't expect lurch to be seen as a guest on any talk show soon...........
       his Brazilan wife will probably start a clothing line......

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Neb congressman Mike Flood on Newsmax
« Reply #1389 on: January 05, 2023, 10:16:37 AM »
recommend fast forward to minute 16:45 and watch through 24:40

for positive view of the speakership debates :

https://www.newsmaxtv.com/Shows/Greg-Kelly-Reports/vid/1_dq9zz787

when this battle is over it will be forgotten in a week.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Gaetz
« Reply #1391 on: January 06, 2023, 07:29:42 AM »
https://www.conservativereview.com/california-republican-kevin-mccarthy-falls-short-in-11th-speakership-vote-as-opponents-stand-firm-2659076292.html

why does he not nominate himself?

funny how none of the people nominated are actually nominating themselves

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: January 06, 2023, 11:57:20 AM »
ccp: "not a fanboy for McConnell but this is what he must have been seeking to avoid
in the omnibus bill
one can only imagine how Gaetz and Boebert could hold up everything coming from the House
to the extent of helping the Dems."

(Doug) $4 trillion in 'excess spending in two years, I would hope they'd hold something/everything up.  MHO.

They don't ever need the last 20 Republicans to pass Democrats spending bills.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 11:59:26 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: January 06, 2023, 04:40:38 PM »
Hannity had a very strong opening last night on what has already been agreed to.

Working from memory:

a) Regular order in the budget (i.e. department by department instead of one mass clusterfuck;
b) at least three days to read bills;
c) complete disclosure of EVERYTHING the J6 Committee did;
d) a deep dive Church Committee investigation of FBI/CIA/Intel Community interference with our elections.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: January 09, 2023, 09:03:37 AM »

THE FOUNDATION
"If it be asked what is to restrain the House of Representatives from making legal discriminations in favor of themselves and a particular class of the society? I answer, the genius of the whole system, the nature of just and constitutional laws, and above all the vigilant and manly spirit which actuates the people of America, a spirit which nourishes freedom, and in return is nourished by it." —James Madison (1788)

GOP Stronger After Speaker Fight
Despite what Democrats and their Leftmedia toadies claim, the Republican Party is better for having vigorously debated the issue of our next speaker.

Douglas Andrews

Everyone had their say, the competing factions agreed to some significant reforms, and then the Republican conference voted up a speaker of the House. So what's wrong with that?

Plenty, if you to listened to Joe Biden or Chuck Schumer or Dan Crenshaw or the mainstream media.

On Saturday, California Congressman and longtime House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy finally won enough votes to become speaker. It took 15 votes and more than a few frayed nerves, but Republicans got it done just as we said they would. They had to, after all. And in so doing, they reaffirmed the truism that real freedom is often messy, often contentious, but ultimately indispensable.

"Sure, it looks messy," said Wisconsin Congressman, Marine, and Iraq War veteran Mike Gallagher, "but Democracy is messy — by design. That's a feature, not a bug, of our system." (And by "democracy," he no doubt meant republican democracy or representative democracy.)

A lot of good came out of the negotiations, too — and all of it good for those who respect the Constitution and appreciate limited government. As one of the 20 Republican holdouts, Dan Bishop of North Carolina (American Conservative Union lifetime rating: 100), yesterday explained:

Twenty courageous members of the House Republican conference made sure that we've ... nailed down a vision for a Republican majority so that we know what we're doing together. We have restored genuine parliamentary participation to the body, rather than have it run in a Pelosi-style [with] backroom-deal-making. We have agreed to specific and achievable fiscal commitments to prevent the Democrats from winning every negotiation. And there's several other details, but the big one, or a big one for me and that I worked on personally, we have nailed down in complete detail the terms of a select committee to investigate the weaponization of the federal government against Americans and to make sure that it is sufficiently vested with authority to get the job done.

That select committee is indeed a big win. Republicans and conservatives generally have been set upon in recent years by a federal law enforcement and intelligence apparatus run amok, and the committee that Bishop is talking about would focus on these agencies' abuses in a way much like the Senate's Church Committee of the 1970s — a select committee that investigated abuses by the CIA, NSA, FBI, and IRS.

Anyone else think a little sunlight might help disinfect those agencies?

Another win for the holdouts was to allow a single member of the House to raise a motion to vacate the chair — that is, to raise what's essentially a no-confidence vote on the speakership. This is a return to the rules that were in place before Nancy Pelosi trampled them. "That's been in parliamentary law in the United States since the country began until Pelosi eliminated it at the beginning of the last Congress," said Bishop. "It's not weakening Kevin McCarthy. It's providing the speaker with the tools he needs for Republicans to go to the mat for the American people."

To be clear, we expect a lot of opportunistic hand-wringing and pearl-clutching from the Left, but we don't expect it from our side. Still, we got it from a few grandstanders, most prominent — and most disappointing — of whom was Texas Republican Dan Crenshaw.

On Wednesday, Crenshaw blasted the holdouts, accusing them of looking for a "scalp," calling them "terrorists," and ranting: "Behind closed doors tell us what you actually want, or shut the f**k up. They need to be men and adults and say what they want, instead of playing these little games, that's what we're asking." Crenshaw gave an awful lot in service to our country fighting actual terrorists, so we're willing to give him a lot of latitude here, but he should also know better.

Crenshaw's fellow Texan Ted Cruz took him to task: "My view is 'settle down.' This will work out and it'll be fine. That kind of overheated rhetoric, calling people 'terrorists,' is not terribly conducive to anything resembling Republican unity. It's not conducive to having strong leadership for the next two years in the House, engaging in vitriol and personal attacks."

As it turns out, the holdouts made their case and got their concessions. And the country will be better for it. Despite what the Democrats and the Leftmedia would have us believe.

All in all, it ended as a good week for Liberty.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Congress; Congressional races, WV, Manchin
« Reply #1398 on: January 12, 2023, 02:01:55 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/commission-led-sen-manchins-wife-set-receive-millions-more-manchin-backed-omnibus
Commission led by Sen. Manchin's wife is set to receive millions more from Manchin-backed omnibus
Commission led by Gayle Manchin will receive $200 million in 2023 from Sen. Joe Manchin-backed omnibus bill

Let's see.  He voted for it.  Against his own principles.  Against the interests of WV.  And she, the wife, benefitted.

Looks to me like he's not running again, or he would have switched parties and changed his voting by now.

Joe Manchin
Age 75 years
Born August 24, 1947

How about if he switches parties now we turn down the offer.

10 most conservative states:
4. West Virginia
https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/most-conservative-states

Maybe he can get Chuck Schumer or Kamala to campaign for him.

Here's a Senator, West Virginia:
https://www.capito.senate.gov/about/about-shelley
"supports commonsense policies that promote economic growth, unleash energy potential, lift up working families, ..."

While Joe Manchin supports Joe Manchin.

If all the accolades of wisdom about him are true, then he knows it's time to declare success and move on.  He will easily get a job in washington, if he wants one.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 02:11:44 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
correction to my post #1397
« Reply #1399 on: January 12, 2023, 06:25:31 AM »