Author Topic: 2020 Presidential election  (Read 148615 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Presidential election
« Reply #900 on: October 01, 2020, 06:24:01 AM »
thinking about the Green new deal denial from Biden

a better strategy for Trump would be to instead of simply saying "oh you don't support it you lost the left

he should add the question

So, Joe what is the difference between the Green New Deal and your Green Deal

can anyone imagine him trying to explain in any intelligable way?
we all know he does not know the difference or could not articulate it - if there is any.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: October 01, 2020, 08:21:28 AM »
"So, Joe what is the difference between the Green New Deal and your Green Deal
can anyone imagine him trying to explain in any intelligible way?"

- No.  He also can't answer, how many grandchildren do you have?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: October 01, 2020, 08:32:47 AM »
Joe made one slick point in the debate: Trump will be the first President (if he has just one term) to have fewer jobs when he finished than when he started.

Democrats are good at this, finding the timeline that suits their result.

In reality, Trump doubled the Obama Biden growth rate of the economy, documented on the forum.  In the last year before covid, 2019, incomes grew more in one year than during all their eight years.  The economy contracted badly during covid.  The contraction would have been much worse if they were in charge.

And for the Obama Biden numbers, they grew so slowly out of an artificial low point.  The crash they say they inherited happened because of their policies while they controlled the House senate and the race for President.  No one's going back to correct that record now.  They don't need to because even with those deceptive facts, Trump grew the economy twice as well.

If the economy is the big issue in the election, who will grow us better out of this?  There are not two right answers or even two valid opinions for that.

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: October 01, 2020, 08:38:28 AM »
Rasmuessen trending back upward.

Have Trump again at 322 Electoral votes including leaners.  Wisconsin looking better and better.
PPulatie

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: October 01, 2020, 08:41:19 AM »
Live in a liberal hood that went 2-1 for Hillary in 2016.  Have only seen 2 Biden/Harris lawn signs so far. One was the lesbian wife/wife couple. Other a guy who claims to be conservative but hates Trump.

The guy in the neighborhood who wishes Trump would be "cancelled" will actually vote for him over Biden.  He has no signs out.

No Trump signs.......too dangerous to put them out.
PPulatie

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: could Barretts position on abortion overturn the election ?
« Reply #906 on: October 01, 2020, 08:51:22 AM »
I don't know

But in close election it is certainly conceivable :

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/06/18/three-in-ten-or-more-democrats-and-republicans-dont-agree-with-their-party-on-abortion/

The more 'education' Democrats have, the less pro-life they are.  Weird.  It tells us more about our education than it does about abortion.

Barrett is considered pro-life because she's Catholic.  Joe Biden is Catholic.  Joe Biden says his religion guides him, but doesn't control his public policy positions.  Judge Barrett says her religion guides her but doesn't control her judicial decisions.  This question is a mountain or a molehill, whichever each voter wants it to be.  From what I can see, if your are single issue abortion, you are not undecided in any election.  Most people want reasonable restrictions allowed on abortions.  The best way to negotiate something that important is in the state house closer to home, not dictated by 5 Justices in robes 47 years ago.

The whole idea that Roe will be overturned is a complete unknown.  To assume yes is to admit it is wrongly decided case.  Otherwise it is precedent, stare decisis, the law of the land that people have counted on all these years.  Conservative Justices respect precedent - except in the most extreme situations, things like slavery (and slaughtering your young).

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: October 01, 2020, 08:52:58 AM »
No Trump signs.......too dangerous to put them out.

I notice very few around here

went to walk my dog at park with soda in a trump / pence holder

know numerous people there
many libs
got two looks
but no one said anything

when one complained about taxes in NJ
I blurted out that is why I am voting for these guys
but person got facial expression that was not positive
other person said nothing

I am not going to rub in their faces who I vote for but I am done hiding it
Of course at work I NEVER bring it up
unless someone calls with a Maga sign behind them - though rare :))

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: October 01, 2020, 09:01:38 AM »
"No Trump signs.......too dangerous to put them out."

- My brother in law put up Trump flags and signs at our family lake cabin and I was the one who asked him to take them down.

Locally, I see more signs for Congress and state House than for Biden, Trump.

Trump quietly visited the neighborhood yesterday.  When the billionaire needs money he comes to Lake Minnetonka.  Terrible coverage at the Mpls Starand sickle..
https://www.startribune.com/trump-is-back-in-minnesota-to-raise-money-and-rally-supporters/572591282/

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: October 01, 2020, 09:04:28 AM »
"The whole idea that Roe will be overturned is a complete unknown.  To assume yes is to admit it is wrongly decided case.  Otherwise it is precedent, stare decisis, the law of the land that people have counted on all these years.  Conservative Justices respect precedent - except in the most extreme situations, things like slavery (and slaughtering your young)."

I support Justice Barrett ( looking ahead) 100% .

It is not me , but I am wondering if this concerns a lot of others and would sway their vote

Will keep looking if any more information on it.

as for Trump winning , and having all these electoral votes- frankly I don't believe it . I think he IS losing
hope I am 100% wrong  but don't think so.

Still hoping we hold the Senate .

I suggest as one of the world's greatest debaters that Trump spend more time asking Joe the specifics of his claims
  and be much more specific (unfortunately Trump is not a specific type of guy beyond internet news - I don't know what the hell Chris Chirstie is supposedly doing when preparing him) but I hope  his line of attack can get Joebid to more clearly show he is lying and doen't really know what he is talking about

yea big joe will make totally general statements  about how smart he is , how experienced he is , and how he is so savvy , etc

I would like Trump to show us how full of shit Joe is and confused he is

let him talk more  let Joe hang himself bu the must be directed to do so by Trump -
screw the moderators
they will never treat old joe (democrat) like they treat any republican - has never happened

get rid of the interruptions the shouting down
name calling yelling - just the logic ( I know , I am dreaming , Trump can't do this)
but how much more effective that would be - and Presidential
just day dreaming

« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 09:10:02 AM by ccp »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: October 01, 2020, 09:08:07 AM »
".and I was the one who asked him to take them down."

:-o

I don't blame you
we don't want your house burned down
by BLM etc.

and you can't simply get AR 15 and stand guard without you being arrested
and called face of white supremacy by Mario's kid .

while arsonists get a free walk and funds from Soros or Bloomberg cash piles

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2020 Presidential election, Are you going to pack the Court?
« Reply #911 on: October 01, 2020, 10:33:18 AM »

Chris Wallace: (17:16)
Mr. Vice President, if Senate Republicans, we were talking originally about the Supreme Court here, if Senate Republicans go ahead and confirm Justice Barrett there has been talk about ending the filibuster or even packing the court, adding to the nine justices there. You call this a distraction by the President. But, in fact, it wasn’t brought up by the President. It was brought up by some of your Democratic colleagues in the Congress. So my question to you is, you have refused in the past to talk about it, are you willing to tell the American tonight whether or not you will support either ending the filibuster or packing the court?

Vice President Joe Biden: (17:55)
Whatever position I take on that, that’ll become the issue. The issue is the American people should speak. You should go out and vote. You’re voting now. Vote and let your Senators know strongly how you feel.

President Donald J. Trump: (18:05)
Are you going to pack the court?

Vice President Joe Biden: (18:07)
Vote now.

President Donald J. Trump: (18:08)
Are you going to pack the court?

Vice President Joe Biden: (18:09)
Make sure you, in fact, let people know, your Senators.

President Donald J. Trump: (18:12)
He doesn’t want to answer the question.

Vice President Joe Biden: (18:17)
I’m not going to answer the question.

President Donald J. Trump: (18:18)
Why wouldn’t you answer that question? You want to put a lot of new Supreme Court Justices. Radical left.

Vice President Joe Biden: (18:18)
Will you shut up, man?

President Donald J. Trump: (18:20)
Listen, who is on your list, Joe? Who’s on your list?

Chris Wallace: (18:23)
Gentlemen, I think we’ve ended this-

Vice President Joe Biden: (18:25)
This is so un-Presidential.

President Donald J. Trump: (18:25)
He’s going to pack the court. He is not going to give a list.

Chris Wallace: (18:27)
We have ended the segment. We’re going to move on to the second segment.

WHERE IS THE FOLLOWUP FROM CHRIS WALLACE WHO ASKED THE QUESTION?  No wonder it spiraled out of control, there was no moderator.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Humble Trump understates his biggest accomplishment The
« Reply #914 on: October 01, 2020, 06:17:26 PM »
The Trump pre-covid economy was the biggest, strongest, healthiest economy of any country in any civilization at any time in the history of the planet.

His opponents' record, the Obama Biden economy, was the slowest growing US recovery since the failed Democrat New Deal economy of the 1930s.

All these politicians are the same?

No they aren't.

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: October 02, 2020, 02:56:18 AM »
President Trump getting Covid now!

That's it! I surrender!  This 4th Turning stuff is coming faster and faster!

I want off this merry-go-round!  PLEASE SMOD!  TAKE US ALL AWAY!
PPulatie

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: October 02, 2020, 06:13:38 AM »
My best wishes to God

he is getting millions of email praying for Trump to recover   and millions praying for death.

What is the Lord our God to do?

he will know the answer but he works in mysterious ways so we will just have to wait he see what he has decided.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2020 Presidential election, US evangelicals are flocking to Trump
« Reply #917 on: October 02, 2020, 08:03:50 AM »
US evangelicals are flocking to Trump
   - Financial Times today
https://www.ft.com/content/de8dcd60-4bbf-4f3b-a1d7-e9eefb936c7f
------------------------------

The people not "flocking to Trump" find this puzzling.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: October 02, 2020, 03:52:25 PM »
It’s No Surprise When Someone Gets Covid
The disease is endemic. And even 74-year-olds can have mild cases that aren’t debilitating.

By Holman W. Jenkins, Jr.
Oct. 2, 2020 4:28 pm ET

Not quite nobody expected this latest twist in our year of living derangedly. On waking to the news that shook markets and discombulated our politics Friday morning, I thought back to an email, typically flippant, I sent colleagues a few weeks ago: “Biden secret plan: let Trump be the candidate who gets Covid . . . an October surprise I wouldn’t bet against.”

The reason begins with the advice the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention gave on its website early and for months after the outbreak began in Wuhan, that most Americans could expect to encounter the virus in coming months.

Another reason is the extraordinary effort, detailed in the Politico news website, to keep Joe Biden, the oldest nominee ever to be a major-party candidate, isolated and unexposed to risk. These efforts were apparently second only in extremity to those of the Russian government, as detailed in the New York Times this week, to keep Vladimir Putin hermetically shielded from the virus.

As early as February, when the feds were belatedly starting to look for Covid beyond immediate arrivals from China and people who interacted with them, I thought it worth pointing out that if a new virus were significantly more widespread than believed, a place to look would be the Democratic field, including Bernie Sanders. Presidential politics, especially during the primary phase, involves many activities that fit under the heading of superspreading.

A lot has been learned since the early days, which will benefit Donald Trump and his wife and others embroiled in the White House outbreak. My own family is basically an inkblot of the early confusion and disorder that accompanied the new pandemic when it first emerged from China. One elderly relative was taken in the wave that swept through nursing homes. Another heard for a month that symptoms were likely Covid but testing was in short supply and available only for patients who needed hospitalization. Only weeks later my relative was diagnosed with cancer, not Covid.

I learned something about a recent media furor when I finally cracked Bob Woodward’s new book. When the president told him on Feb. 7 that the virus was “more deadly than even your strenuous flus,” this was news to Mr. Woodward, by his own admission—the master reporter had hardly paid attention to an outbreak in China that was already being compared to the 1918 influenza.

And on March 19, when Mr. Trump said he was “playing down” the disease to avoid “panic,” Mr. Woodward was equally oblivious to every important element of context in the intervening six weeks. On Feb. 28, Dr. Anthony Fauci, Dr. Robert Redfield and a colleague, on whose hands time did not hang heavy, published in the New England Journal of Medicine an analysis showing that widely reported fatality rates for Covid-19 were dramatically overstated; the disease would likely prove roughly as deadly as the flu.

Mr. Trump, on Mar. 4, went on “Hannity” himself to debunk a 3.4% fatality rate then being touted by China and the World Health Organization. “Mr. Trump has a point,” commented the New York Times, having itself questioned the WHO estimate a day earlier.

At the time the chaos in Northern Italy was unfolding on the world’s TV screens. Putting the fatality rate in realistic perspective was an urgent and necessary priority for any government. Mr. Woodward apparently understood not a thing about any of this when he interviewed Mr. Trump. Amazingly, he still understood nothing about it six months later when he published his book.

Managing public psychology was always going to be a complicated element of a complicated challenge. A man Mr. Trump’s age, or Mr. Biden’s, has a statistical life expectancy that makes him no shoo-in to complete a presidential term under the best of circumstances. But treatment standards have improved. In early days, anybody with symptoms might have done well to avoid ventilator-happy hospital care.

Mr. Trump, at 74, is at higher risk for a bad outcome than a 30-year-old would be. But most 74-year-olds survive Covid and many never have debilitating symptoms. Our media are prone to hysteria, oversimplification and fetishizing random things—case-fatality rates, masks, etc. Reporters and editors have a distorted single-variable mentality. Covid is deadly in a small percentage of cases, currently estimated at between 0.1% and 0.41%, especially among older people in ill health. The major urgency always arose from too many cases happening at the same time and endangering our ability to provide care.

Stay tuned but let’s not assume, in Mr. Trump’s case, that the equivalent of a gas attack from one too many Big Macs is an incipient heart attack. I doubted the seriousness of Mr. Trump’s presidential intentions when he entered the 2016 race. I wasn’t sure he was happy about winning. But I’m skeptical of those now suggesting he might welcome an excuse to bow out. He likes the job and believes he’s defending America from bad things by fighting to hold on to it.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2020 Presidential election, Don't give up PP
« Reply #920 on: October 02, 2020, 05:59:34 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Only suprise is that for once Dems are honest
« Reply #921 on: October 03, 2020, 04:43:51 AM »
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/matt-margolis/2020/10/02/shock-poll-astounding-percentage-of-democrats-happy-about-trumps-covid-diagnosis-n999173

Of course they all want him dead
surprised so many are not playing the game like the phony MSM , the vast majority of whom are enjoying this too.

"I told you so , but of course we wish the Trump family well".  :-P :wink:

but I must look in the mirror and be honest; would I be sad if Pelosi Biden Harris etc got corona ?   :-o

I recall hearing the news about Reagan being shot at home.  i had tears welling up in my eyes.
Probably never felt that way about a politician before or since.  I would have likely felt that way about GH Bush though to a lesser degree at the time.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 04:47:16 AM by ccp »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: October 03, 2020, 10:58:29 AM »
I had the strangest thought, what if a real debate on the issues broke out in the Vice Presidential debate?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: October 03, 2020, 02:02:16 PM »
".I had the strangest thought, what if a real debate on the issues broke out in the Vice Presidential debate?"

Beautiful thought. !  :-D

cool calm collected VP Pence articulating the looniness of Harris without it winding up being about his temperament .

just logic , common sense, and the truth

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Pence
« Reply #924 on: October 03, 2020, 03:40:06 PM »
If Trump should die I presume Pence would be GOP candidate automatically

not clear what his favorable ratings would be without Trump on ticket

who would be VP Mike's VP.

I know some here like Nikki

any thoughts

not premature to think about

we know the big wigs are already playing out the scenerios - or at least better be

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: October 03, 2020, 05:08:32 PM »
PS just saw his speech from Walter Reed
he look and sounded great.  :-D 8-)
so far so good

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: October 03, 2020, 06:24:24 PM »
 8-) 8-) 8-)

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Presidential election, debate tips
« Reply #927 on: October 04, 2020, 09:27:15 AM »
Advice for next debate:

1.Mr. President: Use humor. Make fun of Biden. Make fun of yourself. And smile.
2.Trump is the poverty reduction president: the poverty rate fell to its lowest levels EVER under Trump's policies. Poverty declined to its lowest level for blacks, Hispanics, and women. 
3.The high death rates from Coronavirus are in Democrat states. If blue states like New York had the same death rates that Republican states had there would be 35,000 more Americans alive today.
4. Nine of the 10 states with the highest unemployment rates are DEMOCRATIC states.
5. Give minorities better schools. Trump wants to give $10,000 vouchers to millions of black families in inner cities with failing schools so they can choose the school of their choice. Biden is against this because he cares more about the teacher unions than America’s children.   
6.Biden and the Democrats are the lockdown party. They will kill America’s small businesses with another shutdown.   
7. Biden’s biggest lie ever: a $4 trillion Biden tax increase - more than half of which will target small business owners - will create 7 million jobs. Yes and if you believe this, you believe the Obamacare like that if you like your health care you can keep it.
8. Biden plan ends Right to Work laws in 26 States across America. Millions Under Biden’s radical plan would be forced to join a union (and pay millions of dollars of dues to Big Labor bosses) against their will.
9.Trump is the working class president: middle incomes rose $6,400 in three years under Trump to an all-time record in 2019. In just three years middle incomes for blacks, whites and Hispanics rose more than in eight years under Obama-Biden.
  - Prosperity hotline, Steve Moore
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 09:29:48 AM by DougMacG »

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: October 04, 2020, 01:27:35 PM »
Have Trump continuing at 322 Electoral votes.  Is getting a bump from debate and C-19 per the polls.
PPulatie

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: October 04, 2020, 01:39:59 PM »
Outlier?

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/10/new-poll-results-show-president-trump-ahead-nationally-swing-states-electoral-college/

Florida
Trump 48
Biden 44

Minnesota
Trump 46
Biden 44

New Hampshire
Trump 45
Biden 43
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 01:45:11 PM by DougMacG »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Pence
« Reply #930 on: October 04, 2020, 06:28:39 PM »
If Trump should die I presume Pence would be GOP candidate automatically
not clear what his favorable ratings would be without Trump on ticket
who would be VP Mike's VP.
I know some here like Nikki
any thoughts
not premature to think about
we know the big wigs are already playing out the scenerios - or at least better be

Looks like Trump's fine but this is still relevant to figure out.

If a candidate dies or becomes so sick that withdrawing is necessary, party leaders select a replacement, 168 members of the Republican National Committee, 400-plus members of the Democratic National Committee.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/10/rules-exist-what-could-come-next-they-wont-prevent-total-chaos/616586/

Pence (or Harris) would move up.  Yes, I think R's would pick Haley or Pompeo is logical and next in line anyway.  Haley is fully qualified, strong, liked and tempting to run against a woman, Harris at this point.  A sitting House member or Senator when both are contested is probably a bad idea.

If Trump dies after the election, won or lose, Pence becomes President but the VP position would go unfilled, because of the 25th amendment: ... "shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress".  That is the Pelosi-House, this year at least.

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: October 04, 2020, 07:02:07 PM »
Doug,

Looked at internals of those polls. Not an outlier. In fact, where they should be if the other polls were not so skewed to Biden.
PPulatie

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: October 04, 2020, 08:14:57 PM »
Last of the worst polls:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-scores-14-point-lead-over-trump-in-poll-after-debate-11601816400

How do these internals look?  Let me guess...

Latest betting odds, 60-40 Biden.  It's hard to be optimistic.  It looks to me like the real odds right now are 50-50 for everything.  Biden up 4% in the major polls, battleground states, roughly the pro-Biden bias error we might expect.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/elections/trump-vs-biden-top-battleground-states/

The future of our country sits on 50-50 odds... that's discouraging.  Tie goes to the Democrats, ballot harvesting, mail in fraud etc. 

Facts on the ground favor Republicans.  Gallup: The number one issue to voters is the economy. Extremely important plus very important = 90%.  Terrorism plus foreign policy is second biggest issue, should favor Trump.  Then virus.  Trump needs to pull closer to Biden on virus.  Trump's done everything and Biden's done nothing - except support shutdowns, see first issue.
https://news.gallup.com/poll/321617/economy-tops-voters-list-key-election-issues.aspx?utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_content=morelink&utm_campaign=syndication

Trump grew the economy to the best in history, pre covid.  Growth figures to come out before the election will look great.  Biden is anti-economy, pro-shutdown.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 07:34:33 AM by DougMacG »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Presidential election, VP Debate
« Reply #933 on: October 05, 2020, 07:41:42 AM »
What if the truth comes out?  What if the moderator pins down Harris on some things?

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/vp-debate-why-matters-liz-peek

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
polls?
« Reply #936 on: October 07, 2020, 12:19:44 PM »
MSM all have Trump crashing in the polls.

Is this true?

If so why ?

I just hope the Senate holds.

Unfortunately,  I think Ben Shapiro has it right:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/ben-shapiro-if-biden-a-comatose-78-year-old-career-politician-wins-election-by-double-digits-thats-on-trump

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Morris: Polls are wrong, race is tight
« Reply #938 on: October 08, 2020, 06:09:52 AM »
Morris is right but still has Trump down 4% in battleground states.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 05:18:22 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: October 08, 2020, 06:31:47 AM »
IF only Trump could be calmer like Pence

we would not be in this disastrous mess

I actually was stupid enough to buy stocks in 2012 on Dick Morris' call that Romney would win......

ugghhh

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: October 09, 2020, 05:08:12 AM »
BTW, the VP debate was being broadcast in China.  "Technical glitches" occurred when Pence was speaking about China but were solved when Harris began speaking again.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2020 Presidential election, VP Debate
« Reply #942 on: October 09, 2020, 05:41:34 AM »
Watch full debate here where Pence raises his record to 2-0 in VP debates:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/10/07/watch_live_2020_vice_presidential_debate_between_vp_mike_pence_kamala_harris_in_utah.html

Watch it all.  Ideally, watch with someone undecided and pause to discuss and verify the main points of each side.

If what Harris is saying were true, I would vote Biden Harris.  All covid deaths are Trump's fault.  Trump is a white nationalist etc.  Republicans suppress the vote.  Lie after lie.  If what Pence is saying is true and it is, I will vote for them.

Pence wins on so many points, economy, covid, environment, foreign policy, China, Iran, terror, life, judiciary, Green New Deal, Court packing.

Pence exhibits all those qualities we seek, showing competence, wisdom, empathy, calmness, honesty and effective persuasion.

Harris exhibits projection and duplicity.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: October 09, 2020, 05:57:00 AM »
Doug,

Your honest opinion

Are we looking to hold the Senate ?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Presidential election, VP Debate
« Reply #944 on: October 09, 2020, 06:03:56 AM »
Excellent recap here, Mollie Hemmingway, Federalist:

https://thefederalist.com/2020/10/08/7-quick-takeaways-on-the-2020-vice-presidential-debate/

Mike Pence, a former congressman [and Governor] and talk radio host, started off strong and just kept getting stronger. He clearly came prepared for the debate. He had a ready recall of facts and figures to bolster his points. He nailed the questions he wanted to answer and deflected on the questions he preferred not to answer.

While he let several zingers fly, he stayed calm and steady, pushing back at what he perceived as unduly false statements but without the constant interruptions of the Trump-Biden debate. He spoke slowly and left few cards on the table unplayed. He was nice, firm, decent, and likable.
He made a strong case for Trump’s foreign policy being effective and Biden’s being decades of failure. He had Kamala Harris on the ropes about whether she and Biden would raise taxes on Americans on their first day in office. He effectively showed the country her refusal to openly support court-packing, a position she previously supported.
[Harris] also lied frequently, and perhaps in ways that were too easily caught. She lied about Abraham Lincoln, she repeated the completely false Charlottesville hoax, and she falsely claimed Trump called COVID a hoax. She tried to defend Biden on fracking but did so in a way that reminded voters of how he’s been all over the map on whether he zealously seeks to ban fracking or definitely does not want to.

She feigned outrage when Pence said he hoped Democrats wouldn’t engage in religious attacks on Amy Coney Barrett, as they have already done. But Harris herself tried to impose a religious test on a nominee for being a member of the Knights of Columbus, a Catholic lay group.
Many pundits have never understood how the traditional Republican voter could ever vote for Trump, much less be so unfailingly loyal to him. Pence is the embodiment of the answer to that question. He articulates a Trump-supporting traditional Republicanism that many voters hold. And it’s a compelling and persuasive answer for millions of people...

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: October 09, 2020, 06:22:13 AM »
"Many pundits have never understood how the traditional Republican voter could ever vote for Trump, much less be so unfailingly loyal to him. "

well when we are staring a one party (Democrat) country in the face what choice do we have . We are stuck with him because he has been the only one to fight (except for Cruz and a few others)

"Pence is the embodiment of the answer to that question. He articulates a Trump-supporting traditional Republicanism that many voters hold. And it’s a compelling and persuasive answer for millions of people.."

Sometimes I wonder if Trump had died and
Pence was the candidate for Pres . would that be any better?

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: October 09, 2020, 01:03:29 PM »
Taking a very negative review of the polls, I have Biden at 278 v Trump at 260.   (Optimistic view has Trump at 320 v Biden at 218)

Critical states that could swing to the opposite candidate before election day are

Currently Trump

Florida +29

Currently Biden

Michigan + 16
Minnesota + 10
Nevada + 6
New Hampshire +6
Pennsylvania +20
Wisconsin +10

Trump flips just 10 Ev's, he is the President Elect under my worst case scenario.

Biden gets Florida, then he is President Elect unless Trump can perform a miracle and get Penn, Wisconsin and Michigan.

Bottom line, I think Trump keeps Florida and gets one other minimum to win.

PPulatie

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
China trying to influence election
« Reply #948 on: October 09, 2020, 05:02:08 PM »
but. the honest, truth seeking,  media says it is Russia

what gives ?

how can this be?  would not our media who stands between despotism and democracy have been warning about this ?

https://thenationalpulse.com/breaking/intel-officials-china-brief/

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile