Author Topic: 2024  (Read 72408 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2024
« Reply #650 on: August 03, 2023, 09:48:41 AM »
'"Retribution" is not how you win over independents.'

this is what I am thinking

interestingly I feel Vivek has positive vision  and surely others agree since he comes out of no where to snatch a percentage of Republicans

not clear about the others.

wonder how he polls with independents who is who we need to reach

cannot find anything on this with a quick search

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: August 03, 2023, 10:20:09 AM »
Not revenge, retribution per se.  Not talking about.  Prosecute some Democrats under their own criteria, sure, but it's not a policy we are advocating (aloud).

Everything forward looking (or lose), I think we.  The necessity of contrasting past records is (only) in the context of future governance.  People in Georgia, Arizona, Nevada mostly don't want to hear about how great Florida is; they want to hear about how their own circumstance will improve and how needed a change of direction will be for our country is.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 03, 2023, 01:43:07 PM »
Regarding Vivek:

I see him as winning a lot of fans (and deservedly so) but he lacks the life experience to be seriously considered at this level.  If Trump gets the nomination, I sense there being a bigly chance there will be a place for him on Team Trump.

The DeSantis debate with Nancy's nephew is a very good call for him and a stellar opportunity to show what he can do when not conflicted about letting loose.

Also a good call was his challenge to Kommiela to put up (and debate) or STFU on FL history standards.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 06, 2023, 11:17:44 AM »
I don't like the idea of Republicans simply running on their winning issues

for example

why are Rs so terrified of discussing Climate (change?)

it is though they change the subject when confronted about this.

They need to speak about it but explain a better path to deal with it. (man made or not)

Otherwise we will never win gen x z etc support.

I don't understand why it is so hard to say I am not against gays , but they already won the right to have children, marry, cannot be discriminated against

but we do not want them twerking in front of children

and teaching every child gay is to be celebrated.

I still believe most people believe this .

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: August 06, 2023, 12:12:16 PM »
Well said and agree 100%!

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Trump goes to war
« Reply #657 on: August 06, 2023, 03:46:58 PM »
https://www.showbiz411.com/2023/08/06/donald-trump-has-sunday-morning-meltdown-on-social-media-attacking-judge-in-dc-case-nancy-pelosi-jack-smith-contempt-coming

BUT HE IS POLLING UNDER 50% AS HE ALWAYS HAS!

IF HE WAS POLLING AT 65% I WOULD BE HAPPY TO PLAY ALONG

BUT THIS WILL NOT BRING HIM THE 15% HE NEEDS TO WIN THE PRESIDENCY

FOR GOD'S SAKES !

we are so screwed with this guy.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 06, 2023, 06:15:30 PM »
My D-congressman says someone other than Biden for Democrat nominee.  Dean Phillips is a self-proclaimed centrist who votes same as the rest of the Left in Congress.

He's very rich. I don't know if Phillips vodka is nationwide, but he is the grandson of Big Liquor.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/democrat-dean-phillips-calls-positioned-primary-challenger-biden/story?id=102058270
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 06:20:53 PM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 07, 2023, 06:40:16 AM »
DeSantis should be demanding side-by-side polls of

Trump v Biden
DeSantis v Biden

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: August 07, 2023, 07:25:59 AM »
DeSantis should be demanding side-by-side polls of

Trump v Biden
DeSantis v Biden

Good Idea :))

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
some thoughts
« Reply #662 on: August 10, 2023, 09:17:28 AM »
DeSantis needs to take lessons from Vivek

stop playing trump and project a positive message
do speak about issues climate change opportunity of equity diversity not hand outs ..... not reverse discrimination

be more reasonable on abortion

at 6 weeks a women may have only missed one cycle and not even be aware she is pregnant - NOT reasonable

reach out to gays with more clarity -

all above not his fault as the MSM onslaught is hard to overcome but.....

Trump is 3 time loser .....

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Ramaswamy in second?
« Reply #663 on: August 11, 2023, 12:44:08 PM »
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 07:20:39 AM by Crafty_Dog »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 15, 2023, 01:25:35 PM »
My wife played for me a TikTok clip of Vivek interacting with a transexual questioner REALLY well.

The man is seriously bright AND has high emotional IQ.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 15, 2023, 01:32:03 PM »
so far he has appeared totally prepared for all questions

when I have seen him

even the leftist attempts to mug him with gotcha stuff.

he always leaves them tongue tied while they are  figuring out how to outsmart him, and  being unable to

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 17, 2023, 11:25:23 AM »
second

Trump Georgia trial on Super Tuesday Eve? March 4, 2024, is the requested date for the trial of Donald Trump in Fulton County, Georgia. That date just happens to be the day before Super Tuesday, when the largest number of states hold their presidential primaries. While some contend that this move is designed to force Trump off the campaign trail at a pivotal moment, strategically this actually plays in his favor, making him front and center news as voters go to the polls. Meanwhile, the question of whether Trump will show up to the first GOP primary debate is still up in the air. If he does decide to forego it, he can steal the limelight by scheduling his Georgia jailhouse booking to coincide with the debate.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
What is the plan Republicans?
« Reply #669 on: August 17, 2023, 06:47:01 PM »
What Is the Plan, Republicans?
By CHARLES C. W. COOKE
August 17, 2023 11:58 AM

The broader public hates Donald Trump. Nominating him and then pretending he’s been cheated when he loses is not a strategy; it’s self-destruction.

May I risk the wrath of the hive mind and ask Republican primary voters what their plan is? Is there one? According to pretty much every poll I’ve seen in the last year, Donald Trump is running away with the GOP’s 2024 presidential nomination. This is not a favorability test; it means something concrete: It means that, instead of a new candidate being the Republican nominee in 2024, the Republican nominee in 2024 will be Donald Trump.

And the broader public hates Donald Trump.

I have no doubt that there are lots of Republican primary voters who do not know many people who hate Donald Trump. Perhaps you are one of them. But the thing is: Those people that you don’t know still get to vote. There are a lot more of them than there are of you. And like it or not, they are sending about as strong a message as it is possible to send that they do not want Donald Trump to be the Republican nominee in 2024. Unlike the party’s primary voters, they do not believe that the many charges against Trump are frivolous. The bringing of those charges has not caused them to like him more than they did before. The public’s impression of him has worsened, rather than improved, over time. Again, this may not be your personal experience, but the data are clear: The gap between the Republican primary electorate and the voting public is now comparable to the gap between progressives in elite institutions and the voting public. Remember that New Yorker cover showing the cramped and myopic view of America that is exhibited by the residents of New York City? At present, one could mock up a similar drawing depicting the GOP base.

The warning signs could not be brighter. Survey after survey after survey shows that the people whom the Republican Party needs to win if it is to re-take the White House — the people who actually decide elections in America — do not share the primary electorate’s assumptions about Donald Trump. Moreover, they are not going to share those assumptions. Ever. Per ABC/Ipsos, “Fifty percent of Americans say Trump should suspend his presidential campaign, while 33% don’t think he should.” Per AP/NORC, 53 percent of Americans say that they will “definitely” not support Trump, with another 11 percent on top of that saying that they will “probably” not support him. Per NBC, 60 percent of Americans don’t want Trump to run at all. In other words: Voters didn’t want him in; now that he’s in, they want him out; and if he stays in, they’ll reject him. And why wouldn’t they? A majority of the public thinks that the charges against Trump are serious, and has added that judgment to a view that was unfavorable to begin with. Per an averaging of the polls, Trump’s approval rating is 17 points underwater. That Joe Biden is also unpopular does not change these facts.

So: What’s the plan? Is the sky going to open and anoint Donald Trump president? Are the many charges that Trump has invited against himself simply going to disappear? Is the public going to have a miraculous change of heart and start wandering around sharing “based memes”? Even without all his present baggage, Trump was a lousy candidate. He narrowly beat Hillary Clinton in the Electoral College, and then lost badly to Joe Biden. At no point did he win the popular vote; at no point did he even do better than Mitt Romney in the popular vote; at no point did the populist uprising supposedly heralded by his victory over Clinton materialize. 2016 was a fluke — the product of a series of narrow victories in states that Trump then lost in 2020, and that emphatically rejected his pitch in 2022. It cannot, and will not, happen again.

The harsh truth is that Donald Trump lucked out once, and then proved a terrible drag in every subsequent election. If he is nominated in 2024, he will prove a drag again. How do I know this? I know this because, helpfully, the voting public is letting us all know it before Republicans make yet another terrible mistake. If the party’s plan is simply to ignore this information for the time being, and then, when it all becomes horribly clear and the Democrats have won power once again, to pretend stupidly that Trump has been cheated once again, then it will deserve everything that comes to it.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: What is the plan Republicans?
« Reply #670 on: August 18, 2023, 05:17:15 AM »
Charles C W Cooke, he makes such an important point but he makes it in such a way that he insults the people he is trying to persuade and reveals his own hatred for Trump and his supporters.

'and then pretend he was cheated again'

"Are the many charges that Trump has invited against himself simply going to disappear?"

(Doug). He didn't "invite" the Russian collusion debacle that lasted 2 1/2 years and never got an apology or any consequence upon his vindication.

He didn't "invite" impeachment 1, going after Biden Ukraine corruption.  That was his job.

He didn't invite NY prosecutor Bragg to make expired, potential misdemeanor bookkeeping errors into felonies.

He didn't "invite" all the mail in ballot shenanigans and "harvesting" that made it the least trusted election ever.

Cooke twice calls 2016 a fluke.   What an insult! Where was McCain's, Romney's, Dole's or Gerald Ford's fluke.  Clinton was a fluke, 43% of the vote? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_United_States_presidential_election
They called him "President".

Instead Cooke exposes himself to be part of the Trump hate group that caused the Republican party to split and VDH to leave National Review. 

All those great points wasted.  I suspect his piece persuades no one.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 06:36:48 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 18, 2023, 08:08:12 AM »
excellent points Doug

"  he makes such an important point but he makes it in such a way that he insults the people he is trying to persuade "

agree 100%

"  Is the public going to have a miraculous change of heart and start wandering around sharing “based memes”? Even without all his present baggage, Trump was a lousy candidate. He narrowly beat Hillary Clinton in the Electoral College, and then lost badly to Joe Biden. At no point did he win the popular vote; at no point did he even do better than Mitt Romney in the popular vote; at no point did the populist uprising supposedly heralded by his victory over Clinton materialize. 2016 was a fluke — the product of a series of narrow victories in states that Trump then lost in 2020, and that emphatically rejected his pitch in 2022. It cannot, and will not, happen again."

I don't know if I would call it a fluke but it certainly helped that Hillary was also a terrible candidate with mountain ranges of her own "baggage"

He would not have won against a good candidate

AND NOW Trump's baggage is so insurmountable he can barely keep up with a loser demented make America second rate feeble old man.

This is the point .

Do not attack his policies or his supporters - attack his poor chance of winning

have an image of the future - a positive one

do not avoid issues like abortion or climate change or racism - but fashion responses that are tailored to address these in our way - inclusive - not divisively like Trump and the others

Like Vivek

somehow he does go on CNN and other left as well as the few right wing stations and answers their questions HIS way without simply changing the subject
or sounding wishy washy .

and he refuses to waste time berating Trump
like he did on Jim Acosta recently
I can't find it now

would I vote for Vivek
Am I endorsing him
??

well, it would clearly be risky , so not exactly

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 18, 2023, 10:23:20 AM »
Well said both of you.

I caught Vivek yesterday discussing the Uke War and related geopolitical matters.  I was impressed.  Fully grasps and articulates the point about the consequences of driving Russia into China's arms.  Definitely more fluid than DeSantis in discussing this.   

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 18, 2023, 12:18:56 PM »
his discussion of Russia is similar to Trumps in a way

don't keep demonizing Russia with is not the Soviet Union

and try to pull them in to our sphere.... 

if possible.....

I am not sure what to make of his position on Taiwan tho

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 18, 2023, 05:50:27 PM »
I too was disappointed in his "Once we have our own chips, fukk the Taiwanese" statement of the other day.

A) Stupid to have said it;

B) Stupid to think it-- giving up Taiwan gives China the South China Sea (where 1/3 of the world's trade sails) and allows its navy and shipping to escape any western efforts to contain it in the SCS.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024, GOP race is not over yet
« Reply #675 on: August 19, 2023, 06:49:48 AM »
I agree with the title, not necessarily all of the substance.

http://jewishworldreview.com/0823/hammer081823.php

1.  It's August 2023.
And so on.

I agree DeSantis has the most to gain and lose in the first debate.

Impressive point, more has been spent negative on him than Trump and Biden combined.  He should brag that into a positive.

With certainly we can say Christy will attack him and I will predict we see him ready for that, could be interesting.

I'm okay with almost all of these competitors.  It comes down to the same two things,
Who can get elected (twice), and
Who could get the most accomplished (in two terms)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Nikki: Pres. Trum was right President at the right time
« Reply #676 on: August 19, 2023, 07:51:17 AM »
policies were good but we ******HAVE TO WIN*****

8-)

Plus:

vote for me.  I am an accountant not a lawyer

8-)

https://pjmedia.com/columns/chris-queen/2023/08/19/the-biggest-surprise-from-day-1-of-the-gathering-n1720471

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
The headline the Left loves
« Reply #677 on: August 19, 2023, 11:27:56 PM »
Emerson Poll: Tied With Biden, Trump Leads GOP by 46 Points

only Trump MAGAS = smart

yelling and screaming LOUDER will not change this.

some thing else will but like others say this is NOT a winning strategy

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024, Michael Goodwin
« Reply #678 on: August 20, 2023, 05:38:45 AM »
Michael Goodwin (reads the forum and) agrees the game changer DeSantis needs is for Biden to drop out.

https://nypost.com/2023/08/19/ron-desantis-needs-a-miracle-to-win-the-2024-election-and-beat-out-both-trump-biden/

(Doug) DeSantis needs to re-establish his second place standing and upward momentum with a strong debate performance.

Trump plans to go on Tucker to compete with the Republican debate viewing Wednesday.

Strange that the guy with the great big lead won't commit to supporting the party's nominee.

Only Trump could win a party nomination by opposing the party.

Trump's horrible first debate with Biden had some really bad moments, and in 2016 as well.  His rivals may want to point out weakness displayed in his absence.

Tucker is certainly a talented guy, maybe this Trump -Tucker interview won't be all softballs. Maybe Tucker will rough him up a little bit. 

But the key factor in changing the Republican race is Biden dropping out or removed. If they put up a younger, charismatic governor of a major state liberal, maybe people will take a second look at who matches up best against that.

In the meantime, declining polls and having the not-Trump vote evenly divided is a bad thing for the DeSantis campaign.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 08:28:14 AM by DougMacG »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Christie again points to need to reform entitlements
« Reply #680 on: August 20, 2023, 08:48:16 AM »
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/aug/19/chris-christie-calls-overhaul-social-security-medi/?utm_source=Boomtrain&utm_medium=subscriber&utm_campaign=newsalert&utm_content=newsalert&utm_term=newsalert&bt_ee=UdVGNd1wnqL1Diw7C7z3GHC2Qk8b8Is3Rva5HsKsg7eCk4zOWtwlUMV8Fuqt1HAS&bt_ts=1692470213653

Reform Medicare, social security, that's bold.  Say nothing about the rest of spending being  40% over revenues, wimpy.

Tweaking the eligibility dates of two programs is not a tip of the iceberg of the problems we face.

Christie will get just enough support, NH in particular, to mess everything up and screw the Republicans.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 08:55:37 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 20, 2023, 10:34:35 AM »
"Strange that the guy with the great big lead won't commit to supporting the party's nominee.

Only Trump could win a party nomination by opposing the party."

Does this not prove Trump is all about Trump and not the party ?

" Tucker is certainly a talented guy, maybe this Trump -Tucker interview won't be all softballs. Maybe Tucker will rough him up a little bit. "

Tucker is certainly capable of getting tough  but I would *shocked* if he with Trump -

If he did he knows Trump will proceed to berate him , never go on his show again and put a target on his back - his MO

Tucker will not risk this.

IMHO

In this case , if I am wrong , I would be delighted.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024, 5 indicators Joe is not running
« Reply #682 on: August 21, 2023, 05:25:04 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/5-indications-joe-biden-not-run-2024
---------
I would add it is selfish of him and undemocratic for his party that he wait so long to announce he is stepping out. 

Unlike the messy debates, polls and primary season for the Republicans, the powers behind Biden want to control the direction and timing of what happens next.  They even control much of what happens on the Republican side.

Better for the country would be to let Dem voters have a say in the direction of the disaster their party has become.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 22, 2023, 09:20:50 AM »
IMHO he is obeying his puppet master (Obama and posse) The play to watch is to sub Newsom for Kommiela.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Rhonda McDaniel "gets it wrong"
« Reply #684 on: August 23, 2023, 06:22:44 AM »
According to Fox broadcast:

https://rumble.com/v3a5v41-ronna-mcdaniel-gets-it-wrong-on-republicans-needing-to-appeal-to-independen.html?mref=22lbp&mc=56yab

Rhonda McDaniel explains the strategy is to appeal to independents

Bozo on Fox disagrees and instead of clearly giving reason why this is wrong headed goes on rant about how great Trump is and his immigration policy.

This is a great example of how dumb stupid short sighted , fantasy land the MAGA s are .

OF COURSE THE STRATEGY IS EXACTLY WHAT RHONDA STATES.  WE MUST APPEAL TO INDEPENDENTS IF WE WANT TO WIN.

WHAT IS IT ABOUT ~ 9 YRS OF POLLING THAT SHOWS TRUMP MAX APPEAL IS ~ 45 % - MAX

THAT THE BOZOS DO NOT UNDERSTAND?
WHAT IS IT ABOUT POLLS THAT SHOW A GOOD MAJORITY WICH **HE WOULD** NOT RUN ANYMORE THAN BIDEN?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Here is stated the strategy
« Reply #685 on: August 24, 2023, 07:54:17 AM »
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2023/08/23/bidens-approval-among-non-white-males-plummets-n2627187

Matt Vespa reports:

"Even CNN said that everyone needs to drop the narrative that Trump can’t win in 2024 should he re-clinch the GOP nomination. Biden’s approvals are poor, with an overwhelming number of Americans feeling that we’re no longer on the right track."

exactly . Trump sucks but Biden sucks more...... :roll: :x

great strategy  :x

what a joke during this important time.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 24, 2023, 08:47:03 AM »
think of it this way

for Trump to win it could only be by electoral college
forget popular vote IMHO

it would be by slim margin
many would stay home

I do not want to have to vote for him - he would be first candidate I would have to vote for I hate.

and he would have to be able to beat the inevitable black districts ballot games
he would have to win over women suburban moms

compare this to Nikki

I think she could bring in the moms some women more ethnic voters

and is competent adjusts learns works super hard can speak

I think she would crush any Dem

I would rather crush them at the ballot box
then worry about revenge and more screaming yelling and personality flaws

anyone else agree ?

she is mostly talking the talk and is less of a Bush rhino in MO

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 24, 2023, 10:43:36 AM »
Here is my take on Nikki:

Good, BUT

a) A Bush type Republican-- though respect for the way she disengaged with serving Trump;
b) I have not citation, but I suspect squishiness on illegals.  I cannot picture her deporting a noticeable percentage of the seven million illegals that came in under Biden, let alone any out of the 20-24 million prior illegals;
c) Like the rest of the candidates last night, she has not engaged with the idea that we provoked this unnecessary and apparently endless war.  Though veering towards glib at times on geopolitics, VR clearly gets and underlines a point I have repeatedly made here-- that this stupid and unnecessary war has driven Russia into China's arms.
d) Where is she on medical fascism?
e) etc

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 24, 2023, 10:48:42 AM »
"Like the rest of the candidates last night, she has not engaged with the idea that we provoked this unnecessary and apparently endless war. "

you and Doug were both gung ho on supporting Ukraine while I was hesitant and GM was against.

are saying that you know if "trump were the president this would not have happened?"

in any case that bridge has been crossed

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 24, 2023, 10:51:06 AM »
you think Vivek can win?
you think Trump will win?

you think DeSantis will win?

I think Ron has best shot of the 3 and he is my preferred

but I think Nikki would win by a larger margin. unless the magas stay home which is possible.

yes she is weak on the points you mention but anyone can yell and scream they are trumpian on every issue but will that win?

waiting for Doug's opinion.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: August 24, 2023, 11:07:23 AM »
"you and Doug were both gung ho on supporting Ukraine"

Well no doubt there is evidence laying about around here somewhere, but the way I remember it is that I was divided, posting both arguments for and against and rather consistently arguing that whether Putin was an anus or not, that Russia was entitled to its version of the Monroe Doctrine..

"are saying that you know if "trump were the president this would not have happened?"

Pretty much.

"in any case that bridge has been crossed"

A point which I have underlined in my frustration with the incoherence of this war for American purposes.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
DeSantis best
« Reply #691 on: August 25, 2023, 09:16:09 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gop-voters-say-desantis-delivered-best-performance-in-first-primary-debate-poll

Vivek helping Trump and taking steam away from Ron.   :x

Trump the best president of the 21st century - LOL - big deal vs Bush vs Obama.

Trump thanks him of course.

The jokes on us keep coming .

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 25, 2023, 09:32:19 AM »
I continue to favor DeSantis over Trump.

I continue to like Ramaswamy, but find him not ready for prime time.  He does improve the conversation though, so glad to see him get some attention.

IMHO ALL the candidates failed to connect to the central point that they must make (NH did make it one time) which is the very real chance that Trump loses to Biden.  They need to insist on polls not only between the Rep candidates, but each candidate vs. Biden.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 25, 2023, 12:19:37 PM »
Another take that DeSantis did what he needed to do in the debate.

https://issuesinsights.com/2023/08/24/guv-rons-great-republican-comeback/

Traveling up north in the short MN summer.  I did not see the debate (yet).

I did not expect DeSantis could shout down all the others, just wanted him to have a good night looking Presidential and staying on message.

I don't like the way this campaign is going - but it is still early.

On Crafty's point, R.D. needs to start polling significantly better than Trump in the general election, then make winning the central point.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
RD vs Democrat polls
« Reply #694 on: August 25, 2023, 01:08:14 PM »
"IMHO ALL the candidates failed to connect to the central point that they must make (NH did make it one time) which is the very real chance that Trump loses to Biden.  They need to insist on polls not only between the Rep candidates, but each candidate vs. Biden."

something rotten in Denmark that we DO NOT see such polls?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
NRO: Get used to it
« Reply #695 on: August 26, 2023, 01:57:35 PM »
Weekend-Jolt.png Dark Mode
WITH JUDSON BERGERAugust 26 2023

hero
The Candidate Who Isn’t There

Dear Weekend Jolter,

The candidate helped along in his improbable 2016 victory by his opponent’s own hubris has entered the next phase in his hoped-for comeback by following in her footsteps — and skipping Wisconsin.

Euripides couldn’t have scripted it better. But the irony is only tragic — for Donald Trump — if he loses.

The Republican front-runner’s decision to sit out Wednesday’s kickoff debate and let the undercard cast scrap was made primarily because of his lofty position in the polls. As Rich Lowry writes, the GOP presidential race in some ways resembles an incumbent president’s effort to manage his marginal challengers. Trump’s 40-point leads make him look, and evidently feel, indomitable — potentially more secure in his position in the party than the incumbent president should feel in his.

Indeed, the debate in Milwaukee had the feel of a rowdy House subcommittee meeting about a bill that’s never going to pass. The disagreements were pointed at times, the enmity toward one candidate in particular profound — and theoretical. The primary campaign, moreover, has the feel of a race that’s never going to launch, in part because its front-runner is campaigning as the candidate who isn’t there. Trump, aside from skipping this week’s, has indicated he doesn’t plan to do any debates. His stop at the Iowa State Fair lasted all of about 45 minutes. Brittany Bernstein and Jeff Blehar did the yeoman’s work of reviewing his 2024 campaign appearances to date and counted a paltry number in comparison to his opponents’. Brittany reports Trump has held fewer than 40 campaign events since entering in November, “and just 17 of those events have been in the early primary states of Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina.” Contrast that with Ron DeSantis (78 campaign stops in early primary states) or Nikki Haley (88) or Vivek Ramaswamy (105). This infrequency may become more noticeable as he’s pulled from the campaign trail and into various courtrooms (and jails) in the months ahead.

As Jeff observes, it is all so arrogant and high-handed, and yet “it is also a perfectly intelligent, sound strategy. . . . Trump is playing a ‘prevent defense’ for at least one manifestly obvious reason: because he is, at this point, lapping the field in all polls.”

But just as the sense of inevitability harmed Hillary Clinton, twice, the new basement campaign could harm Trump. Rich writes, in arguing that the GOP race is not as “over” as it looks:

The cockiness could well be justified, but a sense of inevitability can be a two-edged sword. On the one hand, it disheartens the opposition and communicates strength; on the other, it can fade into a high-handed sense of taking the voters for granted.

Charles C. W. Cooke seconds that notion:

In 2023, Trump is cutting an arrogant, lazy, bored figure, whose lackluster vapor-campaign seems to have more in common with 2016 Hillary Clinton and 2020 Joe Biden than with his 2016 effort.

Whether this hurts him is a question, at least in part, for his challengers to resolve. Their conundrum is a maddening one: How to compete against a candidate who not only isn’t there but seems to be politically impervious to cannonballs’ worth of bad headlines and who, in the minds of many campaign strategists, cannot be reproached too severely for fear of alienating his soft supporters? (Natan Ehrenreich gets into that challenge here.)

Wednesday’s debate showed the candidates scattering into starkly different camps in their approach. While Ramaswamy continued to gush only praise for Trump, and Chris Christie was characteristically unequivocal in his disdain for the man, Mike Pence and Haley were appropriately firm and forceful. DeSantis struggled, initially deflecting the question of whether Pence did the right thing on January 6, and later conceding “Mike did his duty.” The candidates don’t need to go the full Christie, but, as NR’s editorial states, Republican voters won’t move on from Trump “if none of Trump’s rivals ask them to.” Phil Klein urges DeSantis to stop campaigning with an “abundance of caution” and worrying about whom he’ll upset. And Noah Rothman offers a specific suggestion for candidates at these debates — home in on how the former president’s legal woes will take him off the trail. The message looks something like this:   

Unfair and undesirable though it may be, Donald Trump is not here for you because he cannot be here for you. Yes, he has avoided this stage in part because the polls have convinced him that he can take your votes for granted. But the former president is going to have to spend most of the next year of his life devoting his attention to things other than the future of our party and our country. Get used to it.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Nikki Haley - Dems biggest threat according to this
« Reply #696 on: August 27, 2023, 10:20:17 AM »
https://news.yahoo.com/nikki-haley-candidate-fear-most-074041084.html

no evidence she can win the nomination and

yes she is too Bush like - but I want to win most of all.

of course I don't know what the insider Dems are really thinking but this seems consistent with common sense.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ
« Reply #697 on: August 28, 2023, 03:31:09 PM »
Trump’s Super Tuesday Trial Date
He might be buoyed to the GOP nomination before voters know the verdict, only to lose to Biden.
By
The Editorial Board
Follow
Aug. 28, 2023 6:20 pm ET

Gift unlocked article

Listen

(4 min)

2024 Republican Presidential hopeful Donald Trump PHOTO: SERGIO FLORES/AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGES
When Donald Trump won the Republican presidential nomination in 2016, he spent Super Tuesday barnstorming Columbus, Ohio, and Louisville, Ky., holding his signature rallies. Next year Mr. Trump might be stuck in a defendant’s chair at the federal courthouse in Washington, D.C., and how the public will respond is anybody’s guess.

Mr. Trump has been indicted four times, but the first case to be resolved might be the one involving his 2020 election subversion. On Monday the judge overseeing that prosecution penciled in a trial date: March 4. Super Tuesday is March 5, with more than a dozen states scheduled to vote for presidential nominees. “My primary concern here,” District Judge Tanya Chutkan said, “is the interest of justice.”

OPINION: POTOMAC WATCH
WSJ Opinion Potomac Watch
Donald Trump's Pre-Super Tuesday Court Date

SUBSCRIBE
Add to Queue
Explore Audio Center
It’s all well and good to argue that nobody is above the law, and a criminal defendant’s business or personal obligations don’t determine his trial schedule. Yet whatever happens in Judge Chutkan’s courtroom, including her decision about when it happens, is bound to affect the 2024 presidential election. This is a matter of judgment, and it won’t do to pretend that the courtroom is hermetically sealed.

Federal prosecutors asked for a Jan. 2 trial date, two weeks before Iowa kicks off the 2024 voting with its Jan. 15 caucuses. Mr. Trump countered that this date was too soon to be fair, with one of his lawyers calling it “a request for a show trial.” His legal team asked for the trial to begin no earlier than April 2026, by which point Mr. Trump intends to be back in the Oval Office with a new Attorney General and possession of the pardon pen.

What a spectacular mess. Mr. Trump made himself legally vulnerable with his terrible behavior, but the timing of the 2020 election case is the Justice Department’s doing. Special counsel Jack Smith finally moved to secure an indictment two and a half years after the alleged conduct and less than six months before the 2024 primaries begin. We’ve argued that the better part of prosecutorial valor was to let voters settle the issue of Mr. Trump’s culpability. Once Mr. Smith decided to indict, however, there was never going to be an opportune day to put Mr. Trump on trial.

The March 4 choice means that at least some Republican voters from early and Super Tuesday states will probably see their ballots as a chance to protest what they view as unfair treatment of Mr. Trump. Voting for him will be their way of giving the establishment the middle finger. Mr. Trump might have the GOP nomination sewn up before a verdict arrives and voters learn whether he’s a convicted felon. This would certainly delight Democrats.

Perhaps Mr. Trump’s legal team will find ways to delay the trial from March 4. Or maybe the prosecution will come up short in court. We’ve pointed out Mr. Trump’s likely defense that he had absolute immunity for actions taken in the course of his presidential duties. The press continues mostly to miss that argument, other than the occasional attempt at refutation. It isn’t impossible to imagine the question eventually going to the Supreme Court.

But the stubborn fact for Republicans, even those fond of Mr. Trump, is that his legal risks are political risks for the GOP. The next federal case, set for a May 20 trial in Florida, involves allegations that Mr. Trump squirreled away national secrets and then tried to delete Mar-a-Lago security tapes to cover it up. Most analysts say that’s the strongest indictment.

It’s incumbent on Mr. Trump’s Republican opponents to make the case directly to GOP voters that they shouldn’t roll the dice. The way to restore impartial justice is to nominate a candidate who can beat an aging and politically vulnerable President Biden.

Sending Mr. Trump to a 2024 rematch he is likely to lose among independent voters and many Republicans would accomplish nothing. It would be a strange and self-destructive catharsis for Republicans to try to “own the libs” by making Mr. Biden’s re-election easier.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Neither Biden nor Harris will be the nominee
« Reply #698 on: August 29, 2023, 08:01:01 PM »
One more opinion that neither Biden nor Harris may be the nominee. The only other name they could come up with (on short notice) was Gavin Newsom.

https://themessenger.com/opinion/what-happens-if-biden-and-harris-both-decide-not-to-run-in-2024

Looks like the machine behind the puppets is rigging both sides.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 08:13:10 PM by DougMacG »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Charles Lipson on Biden pulling out
« Reply #699 on: August 30, 2023, 06:38:33 AM »
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2023/08/30/what_if_biden_backs_out_of_the_race_149692.html

(Doug).  It seems everyone knows he is pulling out except slow Joe.  As lipson points out, a very late pull out rigs the Democratic race to just those who already have name recognition and big money machines in place, namely failed states Governors, one in particular.

Republican candidates need to be running against the policies, not the person who is about to disappear.