Author Topic: The US Congress; Congressional races  (Read 303523 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The US Congress; Congressional races
« Reply #450 on: December 13, 2017, 07:33:16 AM »
" Losing the Senate to one or two man's ego.  The loss of Sessions seat was not necessary, advances the causes of abortion, high taxes and government healthcare to name a few. "

Yup.  

You are right Doug.  The Dem strategy of coming out AFTER the primary race with the Moore sex story worked out like a dream come true for them

I agree with Bannon to get rid of the establishment types but not with a guy who was chasing and allegedly molesting underage girls.

Even Trump "knew":

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/12/13/donald-trump-deck-was-stacked-against-roy-moore/

Trump has thrown away his chance to win over middle of the road voters with his foolish tweets .  He will never be above 40 % approval.
Only hope is the economy does so great people will be thrilled.  Anyone think Amazon's Jeff Bezos is going to spend his tax savings on increased salaries or benefits to employees?

oh but what is good for him is good for all of us........... :-P  We will see.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:37:19 AM by ccp »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Doug's worst nightmare
« Reply #451 on: December 18, 2017, 06:16:46 AM »
(and mine) to be realized???   :-o

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/18/manchin-franken-senate-resign-300843

(Franken - could this happen from the unfunny "comedian" = i was just joshin' - i am not going anywhere )
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 06:35:23 AM by ccp »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Doug's worst (best) nightmare (soap opera)
« Reply #452 on: December 18, 2017, 09:32:03 AM »
(and mine) to be realized???   :-o
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/18/manchin-franken-senate-resign-300843
(Franken - could this happen from the unfunny "comedian" = i was just joshin' - i am not going anywhere )

Yes, it's a big, unspoken controversy here.  Franken did not resign (or say, believe the women).  He said he would announce resignation in the coming weeks, meaning let's wait and see. 

Former MN Gov. Arne Carlson, a 'Republican', also said very publicly last week, "don't resign".

Gov. Mark Dayton, a Democrat not particularly affiliated with Franken or the party, went ahead and announced the recess appointment.  He appointed his Lt Gov.  This was quite a jab at Franken because he and I and everyone with a critical ear knows he didn't resign yet of even make his final decision.

When Franken scheduled his press conference, there is no way he intended to announce his resignation.  I think he was going to give a big recovery program and can't we all learn something from this speech.  Then Gillibrand, Schumer and others pressured him and he came up with the speech that left ample wiggle room.  The pressure and the message was, get us through this Alabama election.  And it worked.

Tina Smith the 'appointee' was referred to Gov Dayton by his biggest (only?) donor, his ex-wife Alida Rockefeller, daughter of John D Rockefeller, sister of former politician Jay Rockefeller.  Smith has a nice humanitarian background of running Planned Parenthood.  I wonder how many vulnerable girls, blacks and gays were killed under her watch.  She was an attractive choice because she is (allegedly) smart, reliably liberal and didn't want to run for the position when it comes back up for election, leaving the real choice up to the voters.

But then one more twist, she announced she is going to run for 'reelection' for the seat she doesn't even have yet, clearing the field of Democratic challengers - all while 'Sen" Al Franken is still undecided about resigning.  Musical chairs and the unfunny Senator is still standing, looking around.

ccp, the funny thing is, Minnesota Republicans would most certainly rather run against a damaged Al Franken than a fresh Tina Smith, a presumed non-groper.

Two term former Gov Tim Pawlenty is mentioned for running for the 'open' seat.  Clean as a whistle, he barely gropes his own wife.

Minnesota was known as the bluest, most liberal state in the union, the only state never won by Ronald Reagan.  The only upper midwest state Trump didn't flip, Hillary beat Trump here in 2016 by 1.5 points. 

To quote a famous MN lyricist, 'The times they are a changin'.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qQ6_RV4VQ

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Arizona
« Reply #454 on: January 14, 2018, 07:40:00 PM »
GOP faces brutal Arizona primary fight

Republicans hoping to hang on to the Arizona Senate seat face an increasingly tumultuous primary environment, with firebrand former sheriff Joe Arpaio entering the race from the right and Rep. Martha McSally trying to win over President Trump’s supporters without alienating more moderate general election voters.

The Tuesday announcement from Arpaio, whose criminal contempt conviction Trump pardoned last year, came just days before McSally joined the primary. While Arpaio made his name as an immigration hardliner and promoter of the discredited conspiracy theory that former President Obama wasn’t born in the United States, McSally is the party establishment pick meant to appeal in the general election.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 18, 2018, 11:32:09 AM »
GOP sees omens of a Dem wave in Wisconsin

A surprise loss in a special statehouse election Tuesday night in Wisconsin has set off a new round of alarm among Republicans worried that they could face a Democratic wave in this year’s midterm elections.

Democrat Patty Schachtner defeated Republican Adam Jarchow by about 10 points in Wisconsin’s 10th Senate District, a seat that had been under GOP control since 2001. President Trump carried the district by 17 points in the 2016 election.

The state Senate election in Wisconsin is another damning data point for Republicans.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 18, 2018, 12:45:35 PM »
"The state Senate election in Wisconsin is another damning data point for Republicans."

I don't have a countering argument to the liberal take on this except that the Nov 2018 elections are not going to be held today.  They will be held after people see the increase in economic growth and the impact that has on people's lives.  His tweets and utterances aside, Trump and the Republicans have done a lot of policy things right.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 18, 2018, 01:12:47 PM »
Agreed.  Just noting this data point at this time and place.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
who voted for and who against the
« Reply #459 on: January 20, 2018, 06:31:38 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/19/us/politics/live-senate-vote-government-shutdown.html

Paul a common suspect here
the total loss of his mind Flake
and McConnel ?  a surprise and 2 others on the R side

tuchus holes if you ask me   :-P

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The US Congress; Senate Races, Issues, Abortion, Heitkamp, Tina Smith
« Reply #460 on: January 30, 2018, 04:55:13 PM »
Caught on camera, Democrats Heidi Heitkamp and Chuck Schumer give each other high fives after blocking bill to end abortions past 20 weeks, when unborn feel pain.  I wonder how the unborn feel about that?  (   

Also supporting the filibuster that prevented a Senate vote was former Planned Parenthood leader, AL Franken replacement Tina Smith. 

My guess is that Schumer has a 10% approval in North Dakota and I wouldn't be so sure that Minnesotans are 100% behind unrestricted abortions anymore.  Science says it takes a life you know, and it causes pain in the process.  The later abortions are the most brutal and the unborn start to look a lot like ... babies, human, alive and with separate DNA from the mother and father.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The US Congress; Senate Races, Issues, Abortion, Heitkamp, Tina Smith
« Reply #461 on: January 30, 2018, 06:13:45 PM »
Caught on camera, Democrats Heidi Heitkamp and Chuck Schumer give each other high fives after blocking bill to end abortions past 20 weeks, when unborn feel pain.  I wonder how the unborn feel about that?  (   

Also supporting the filibuster that prevented a Senate vote was former Planned Parenthood leader, AL Franken replacement Tina Smith. 

My guess is that Schumer has a 10% approval in North Dakota and I wouldn't be so sure that Minnesotans are 100% behind unrestricted abortions anymore.  Science says it takes a life you know, and it causes pain in the process.  The later abortions are the most brutal and the unborn start to look a lot like ... babies, human, alive and with separate DNA from the mother and father.

Hey, someone has to show those unborn babies who's boss. Schumer is all about taking guns and killing infants.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The US Congress; Judicial confirmations, Justice David Stras
« Reply #463 on: January 31, 2018, 11:53:42 AM »
A Senate vote, a victory for Trump and constitutional law, this was made possible by Al Franken's groping.  It was a good indicator that Franken protested and Scott Johnson from Powerline supported Stras has been exposing the delays of the game playing Senate with a fully qualified and supported nominee.  
http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/01/david-stras-confirmed-to-eighth-circuit.php

This is a good step for a good Justice toward the Supreme Court.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Why did Pelosi stand for 8 hrs
« Reply #466 on: February 07, 2018, 05:47:40 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
The New Yorker: Congressman Nadler
« Reply #469 on: February 26, 2018, 09:16:24 PM »
The New York Congressman Who Could Lead an Impeachment Charge Against Trump

By Susan B. Glasser

February 26, 2018

Impeachment, a liberal pipe dream a year ago, would almost certainly become the Judiciary Committee’s top priority if Democrats take back the House.
Photograph by Doug Mills / NYT / Redux

A political generation ago, Congressman Jerry Nadler was a backbencher from the Upper West Side. A liberal Democrat with a law degree and a debater’s temperament, he was seen in New York as “a garrulously intelligent, wonkish politician whose previous claims to fame” included “fighting against Donald Trump’s projects on the West Side,” as the Times noted, in a 1999 profile. When House Republicans impeached Bill Clinton, in 1998, for lying about his affair with the former intern Monica Lewinsky, Nadler emerged as one of Clinton’s most ardent and public defenders, trading his obscurity for a brief moment in the national spotlight. The impeachment, he warned in the House Judiciary Committee, was a spectacular misuse of the power granted to Congress by its founding fathers, a “partisan coup d’état.”

Twenty years later, history has intervened to give Nadler another shot at Trump. And, this time, Nadler’s own party is clamoring for impeachment. Nadler’s chance came in December, in one of those little-noticed internal congressional maneuvers that can often have big political consequences months or even years later. The #MeToo movement had just claimed the eighty-eight-year-old congressman John Conyers, of Michigan, who resigned after multiple women came forward to accuse him of harassing and propositioning them. That left a prime opening to succeed Conyers as the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, which would oversee an impeachment of Trump if Democrats were to win control of the House in November’s midterm elections.

Nadler quickly made the case to fellow-Democrats that he was the perfect marriage of man and moment: a Trump “archenemy,” as one New York paper called him back in the nineties, familiar both with the President’s Manhattan business machinations and the nuances of constitutional law that would become relevant if the Judiciary Committee tried to impeach Trump. Nadler didn’t say so publicly, but his campaign pitch against Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren, a California Democrat best known for her work on immigration, was all about the politically charged I-word; a leaflet he wrote and handed out to Democratic members said he was “the strongest member to lead a potential impeachment.”

In an impassioned closed-door speech to the Democratic caucus before the vote, Nadler told his colleagues that Trump had put the country “on the brink of a constitutional crisis.” The Democrats voted, 118–72, to give Nadler the job, setting him up to become chairman of the House Judiciary Committee if they take back the House. Impeachment, a liberal pipe dream a year ago, would almost certainly become the committee’s top priority, and the road to it would run right through Nadler, a stubborn seventy-year-old who spent the better part of two decades battling to stop Trump from rerouting the West Side Highway. History may not repeat but it does have a sense of humor.

Nadler clearly relishes the thought of taking Trump on once again, and, if and when it comes to impeachment, he will in no way be a neutral arbiter of the President’s fate but an implacable foe who has already pronounced judgment on Trump’s fitness for office. After Trump fired the F.B.I. director, James Comey, last spring, Nadler said that there was a “very strong case” that it constituted obstruction of justice. He opened a recent town-hall meeting with constituents by saying, “This President presents the greatest threat to constitutional liberty and the functioning of our government in living memory.”

Jerry Nadler spent years fighting Trump in New York. Now he may preside over attempts to remove him as President. Photograph by Spencer Platt / Getty

Over the course of two recent conversations with me, Nadler was just as scathing regarding Trump. The indictment of thirteen Russians by the special counsel, Robert Mueller, on charges of manipulating the 2016 U.S. election had just been released, and Nadler said he believed that Trump’s refusal to retaliate for the Russian intervention was as serious as if an American Commander-in-Chief had failed to respond to the 1941 Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor. “It’s a fundamental attack on our way of life. It’s a very fundamental attack on the U.S. And it has to be taken seriously, and Trump is not doing his job,” Nadler said. “What if Roosevelt had said, after Pearl Harbor, ‘We’re not sure who did it. Maybe it was the Chinese. Maybe it was somebody else’? And used that as an excuse not to respond?”

So, I asked, is that an impeachable offense? “Potentially,” he answered. “He is not carrying out his duties.” Then again, Nadler added, “Impeachment is a political act, and you have to make a lot of judgments. Is it an impeachable offense if he persists in not doing his office? Yeah, I’d say it is. But just because it’s an impeachable offense does not mean he should be impeached. It’s a different judgment.”

A vocal and growing minority of House Democrats is not waiting for the results of Mueller’s investigation to make that judgment on impeaching Trump. Among Nadler’s colleagues, a resolution to begin the process of impeachment authored by Congressman Al Green, of Texas, has twice been put to a vote. In early December, it received fifty-eight Democratic votes. By mid-January, it was up to sixty-six votes, still far from the two hundred and eighteen needed for a House majority. Public support for such a move is higher. In a recent national poll, about forty-one per cent of Americans support impeachment, significantly more than the twenty-six per cent who backed such proceedings against Richard Nixon at the start of the Watergate hearings, which eventually led to Nixon’s downfall.
Video From The New Yorker
A Word from the Russian Olympic Team

Watergate revivalism, in fact, is booming among a certain cohort of Trump-loathing liberals, and a smart Slate podcast called “Slow Burn” that excavated the history of Watergate for the millennial generation shot to the top of the Apple charts. When I recently appeared on a panel with Watergate veterans convened by Slate at the Watergate Hotel, there was a sold-out audience of several hundred who had shelled out twenty dollars a pop to listen to the reminiscences of the talk-show host Dick Cavett, the Nixon biographer Evan Thomas, and the journalist Elizabeth Drew, who chronicled the Nixon impeachment proceedings for this magazine. The Trump era, short as it is, has already spawned its own literature of impeachment to add to the Watergate shelves, including “The Case for Impeachment,” a best-seller by the American University professor Allan Lichtman, and “Impeachment: A Citizen’s Guide,” by the Harvard professor Cass Sunstein, a former adviser to President Obama.

There is also an active and increasingly loud impeachment lobby led by the billionaire activist Tom Steyer, a San Francisco businessman who has already spent more than thirty million dollars on a public campaign calling for Congress to remove Trump from office. Since launching in October, his group, Need to Impeach, has acquired close to five million online signatures for its impeachment petition. TV ads feature Steyer looking into the camera, with the White House in the background, recounting a varied litany of complaints about Trump. An early ad said, “Donald Trump has brought us to the brink of nuclear war, obstructed justice, and taken money from foreign governments. We need to impeach this dangerous President.” A more current version reels off the indictments already obtained by Mueller’s investigators and concludes, “No President is above the law.”

When we spoke last week, Steyer seemed almost agnostic about the official reasons Congress should cite for Trump’s impeachment. He told me he was convinced that new and compelling evidence would emerge to bolster the political case for removing the President from office. Steyer said that he felt no need to wait for the results of Mueller’s investigation and was responding to the political reality that it can take a long time, as it did during Watergate, to get the American people to accept the radical step of removing a President from office. “We started this knowing it’s a marathon and not a sprint,” Steyer told me. “And that it has to do with the information reaching the American people so that people understand this is a deeply unfit and dangerous American President.”

But Steyer’s rallying of the Trump-hating party base has put him at odds with Nadler and other Democratic leaders on Capitol Hill, who believe it is both premature and politically damaging to call for impeachment now. The House Minority Leader, Nancy Pelosi, a fellow-Californian, called Steyer—a huge party benefactor, who contributed more than sixty million dollars to the Party’s candidates and causes in 2016—to lobby him directly against the impeachment drive, the Times reported. Bernie Sanders has publicly pleaded with Steyer and others to avoid “jumping the gun” and pushing for Trump’s removal before it’s possible to achieve it. Other Democrats, especially the campaign strategists who have to advise the Party’s candidates in the midterm elections, fear that impeachment is a political loser with voters, who will cast ballots on more traditional pocketbook issues.

Steyer is well aware of the criticism. He said he knew that the numbers in Congress, for now, are against him. “How that works out, exactly, I don’t know,” he told me. “But I would also quote Nelson Mandela: ‘Everything is impossible until it happens.’ We are saying something that is incredibly important to the people of the United States. We understand there’s a concern that it does not suit the short-term needs of some elected officials. I understand that they’ve got to try and figure that out.”

Jerry Nadler is still figuring it out. “My view of impeachment is to be very careful about impeachment,” he told me. Since succeeding Conyers in the House Judiciary Committee post, he’s been raising his profile, appearing as a talking head on MSNBC and CNN, attacking Trump, and talking as though the President is a genuine menace to the nation. But that doesn’t mean Nadler is ready to call for impeachment, at least not yet. He considers Steyer’s Need to Impeach campaign “premature at best,” he told me. “I don’t think it’s constructive. We don’t have the evidence now that would be convincing enough to people to justify impeachment.” As a political matter, Nadler added, “I don’t think the election campaign should be fought on the basis of impeachment or no impeachment. We’ve got plenty of problems in the country, and I don’t think it helps the country, never mind the Democrats. We should, though, fight the election on the grounds of whether the President is a good or a terrible President.”

Nadler comes from a safely Democratic district and has never had a competitive race since he first won his seat, in a special election, in 1992. But political calculation dominated our conversations about whether and how the impeachment of Trump could proceed. In Nadler’s reading of history, Nixon was forced from office because Democrats enlisted enough Republicans in the impeachment case to make Nixon’s presumed conviction in the Senate, by a two-thirds majority, likely; then and only then did Nixon step aside. In the Clinton case, conversely, Democrats stuck together and voted en masse against the House impeachment, and Republicans were unable to secure a conviction on the basis of just their own party’s votes in the Senate. Nadler warned of a “partisan coup d’état” against Clinton on the House floor, but, in the end, the political math didn't favor it.

The Clinton impeachment shapes how Nadler views a prospective case against Trump. “I said this on the floor of the House in 1998, and I meant it: impeachment must not be partisan,” Nadler told me. “And that’s true for two reasons. Number one, simple arithmetic. Let’s assume the Democrats get a majority of the House in the election, and let’s assume you vote impeachment on a partisan basis: all the Democrats voted for it; all the Republicans voted against it. Yes, you could impeach the President in the House. But you need a two-thirds vote in the Senate, and what’s the point of it? If you’re going to impeach him, you ought to be pretty sure you can convict him and remove him from office, and you should have good reasons for doing so.”

Removing the President is a dramatic move against the popular will; in effect, Nadler said, “you are nullifying the last election,” which is not something to be undertaken “without having buy-in, at least by the end of the process, by an appreciable fraction” of Republicans as well as Democrats. The alternative? “Twenty or thirty years of recriminations. Of almost half the country saying, ‘We won the election; you stole it from us.’ You don’t want to do that. Which means you should not impeach the President unless you really believe that, by the end of the process, you will have not only Democrats agreeing with you but a good fraction of the people who voted for him.”

There’s also the matter of evidence, and just what the charges would be against Trump. In the Clinton case, Nadler argued that Presidential perjury about a sexual affair did not rise to the level of impropriety envisioned in the Constitution, and he successfully urged Republicans on the Judiciary Committee to hold hearings on just what would constitute an impeachable offense, an exercise that convinced him that “the real test for an impeachable offense is, is this a threat to the constitutional order, to the protection of liberty, to the checks and balances system that the Constitution sets up?” He told me, “The impeachment clause was put into the Constitution as a political tool with which to defend the republic, to defend the constitutional order, to defend against a would-be tyrant.”

Those are strong words, and I found myself wondering whether Nadler really expected the case against Trump to rise someday to the grave standard he was setting for it. Does he think Trump is a tyrant, or that he could become one? Our back-and-forth on the matter left me feeling unclear, though it is certainly conventional wisdom in both parties these days that Democrats, given the House majority, are all but certain to proceed with some kind of case against Trump. (“This impeachment threat is out there,” a Fox News commentator named Liz Peek warned the crowd at last week’s CPAC, the annual conference for conservatives, according to the Washington Post. “It’s a very good reason to go vote, and to give money.”)

Still, Nadler insisted to me that he was not prepared to go forward with impeachment just because angry Democrats demand it, or even because he viewed Trump as unfit for office. “You don’t decide to impeach the President for the hell of it,” he told me. In dealing with Trump, Nadler said he expected that Mueller, like previous special counsels before him in the Clinton and Nixon cases, would deliver a report to Congress laying out his evidence related to the President, and he promised it would have to be sufficiently serious and specific. “To initiate impeachment, we would have to be convinced—I would certainly have to be convinced if I were going to help lead it—that the President has committed impeachable offenses, and that those impeachable offenses are so serious that the constitutional order is threatened if he is not impeached and removed from office,” Nadler said. “That’s the real test.”

I asked whether Trump’s firing of Comey obstructed the F.B.I. investigation into possible Trump-campaign collusion with Russia. Would that meet the standard for an impeachable offense? At first, Nadler demurred, saying he was “not a judge and not a jury right now.” But he signalled that his stance could change. Nadler added, tantalizingly, that he had consulted both public evidence and still-secret documents. “It may be that you can make a very serious case against the President,” he told me. “And I stress the word ‘may be.’ ”

Susan B. Glasser is a contributing writer for newyorker.com, where she writes a twice-monthly column on life in Trump’s Washington. She is Politico’s chief international-affairs columnist and the host of its weekly podcast, “The Global Politico.”Read more

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Reps have shot at holding House
« Reply #471 on: February 28, 2018, 09:06:25 AM »
second post

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/02/27/how-republicans-can-win-the-2018-midterms-217088

Republicans need to keep the generic ballot poll better than -9 and Trump's approval rating at least in the mid-forties. In the last couple of poles he was at 50% . I would add that we need GDP growth to come in at least 3% and no blow-up of the deficit.  The tax cut along with the supporting pro-growth deregulation is not hypothetical anymore. This is no longer CBO versus TPC versus  Heritage or Schumer versus Trump. The early results will be known soon.  If Furman, Schumer and the fixed pie crowd were right, then the midterms go to the Democrats. If the supply-siders were right then the facts will be apparent and the election will be winnable.

People aren't tired of economic growth nor do they take it for granted anymore.

Trump continues to message in his way on the economy.  He misses my points but connects better with his. The Republican Congress seems silent. Have they no bully pulpit of their own, no budget, no podium, no message?

Do they want to hold Congress? Can the express a reason or two why? Or are they just positioning to save face in defeat? And if so, what good can that possibly do?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 12:47:47 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: Death of Reps' control of congress may be premature
« Reply #473 on: March 01, 2018, 06:14:38 AM »

By Karl Rove
Feb. 28, 2018 7:05 p.m. ET
40 COMMENTS

Talk of a Democratic midterm sweep may be premature. In recent weeks, the chance that Republicans will hold or even expand their Senate majority was boosted by two unexpected events: North Dakota Rep. Kevin Cramer decided to challenge Democratic incumbent Sen. Heidi Heitkamp, and Arizona Rep. Martha McSally launched her bid for retiring Republican Sen. Jeff Flake’s seat.

Since World War II the president’s party has lost House seats in 16 of 18 midterms, while in the Senate the president’s party has broken even or picked up seats in five midterms.

Only a third of senators are up for election in a given cycle, meaning each party’s prospects vary depending on which states are in play. Of the 34 Senate seats up this fall, 26 are held by Democrats and only eight by Republicans. Ten Democratic seats are in states President Trump carried in 2016, and only one Republican senator—Nevada’s Dean Heller —will face re-election in a state Hillary Clinton won.

The GOP’s best shots to pick up seats are in five states Mr. Trump won by double digits. One is North Dakota, which the president carried with 63% of the vote. The same night Mr. Trump earned 216,794 votes and a 36-point victory, Rep. Cramer received 233,980 votes for his 45-point margin. In 2012, when Sen. Heitkamp and Rep. Cramer both won for the first time, she got 161,337 votes and a 0.9-point margin while he received 173,585 votes and a 13.2-point margin.

Ms. Heitkamp’s voting record offers Republicans plenty of ammunition. She has voted against Mr. Cramer and the state’s popular senior senator, Republican John Hoeven, on issues like tax cuts, health care and energy—energy being of particular concern because North Dakota is America’s second-biggest producer of crude oil. Mr. Cramer is also a superb grass-roots campaigner, which matters in a state where politics is personal and voters are clustered on the center right.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

Then there’s Arizona. Republicans were worried about the seat even before Sen. Flake announced his retirement last October, leaving the primary field wide open to far-right candidate Kelli Ward, who unsuccessfully challenged Sen. John McCain in 2016 and is backed by Steve Bannon.

Many Republicans applauded when Rep. McSally announced that she’d enter the race. An Air Force Academy grad, Ms. McSally was the first female American combat pilot—flying an A-10 Warthog in the Gulf War—and the first woman to command a fighter squadron. She also successfully sued in 2001 to overturn a Defense Department policy requiring U.S. servicewomen in Saudi Arabia to wear abayas and headscarves off base.

After beating an incumbent Democrat by 161 votes in 2014, Rep. McSally was re-elected in 2016 with 57%, running 13 points ahead of Mr. Trump in Arizona’s most competitive district, centered in Tucson.

She now faces an August primary against Ms. Ward and 85-year-old former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio. After being found guilty of criminal contempt for ignoring a court order against racial profiling, Mr. Arpaio lost his re-election in 2016, trailing the entire GOP ticket. He and Ms. Ward will split the hard right, improving Ms. McSally’s chances.

Ms. McSally’s supporters were cheered by the public response when she launched her campaign last month, flying around Arizona in a T-6 trainer that was used to instruct members of the Women Airforce Service Pilots in World War II. She told enthusiastic crowds, “I’m a fighter pilot and I talk like one,” and joked that congressional Republicans should “grow a pair of ovaries and get the job done.” This occasional saltiness has made her a favorite of Mr. Trump.

Ms. McSally has also been in the news recently as a principal author of the House immigration bill that bolsters border security, reforms legal immigration and provides a path to citizenship for Dreamers.

Her military background is a big plus with Arizona’s large veteran population, and her record on taxes, spending and defense is attractive in a state that wants its leaders to be both conservative and constructive.

The likely Democratic nominee is Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, who had $5.1 million cash on hand at the end of last year. Ms. Sinema represents a Phoenix district, which gives her high name recognition in the state’s largest media market. But Ms. McSally’s launch has already bolstered her recognition and made her competitive in general-election matchups.

With a two-seat margin in the Senate, Republicans must see that Sen. Heller is returned in Nevada and avoid a repeat of last year’s Alabama disaster by helping Mississippi Sen. Roger Wicker overcome a primary challenge from an eccentric firebrand. But the races in North Dakota and Arizona will play a key role in the midterms, and Republicans should be pleased to have such promising candidates in Reps. Cramer and McSally.

Mr. Rove helped organize the political-action committee American Crossroads and is the author of “The Triumph of William McKinley ” (Simon & Schuster, 2015).

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Newt: Prez Trump's two brilliant surprises
« Reply #474 on: March 01, 2018, 02:32:41 PM »
President Trump’s Two Brilliant Political Surprises
Originally published at Fox News.

President Trump has once again surprised the national establishment.

This week, he announced his re-election campaign earlier than any president in history.

Simultaneously, he announced Brad Parscale would be his campaign manager.

These two moves are a reminder of how intuitive and strategic Donald J. Trump is. These qualities are a big part of why he was elected to be our 45th president.
Why are this week’s announcements so important? Because they express intent and demonstrate immediate implementation.

First, President Trump is saying to any potential Republican challengers “I will crush you.” The amount of money Trump will raise, the scale of the organization that he will build, and the size of the pro-Trump base, will all combine to make the possibility of a viable Republican challenger an absurdity. Someone can run, but he or she will never survive the first round of primaries.

President Trump is also signaling to those who fantasize about a third-party candidate (and this number may grow as the Democrats’ civil war gets more vicious) that he will have the resources and the organizational base to totally dominate the general election.

Second, President Trump is building a new Republican Party, which is much broader than the party that existed when he announced his candidacy in 2015. Trump’s new, larger party is the one that carried Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin – and almost carried Minnesota. It was this larger party that turned Ohio from a competitive battlefield into a Republican landslide.

America’s rising prosperity will further broaden and deepen the Republican Party. Trump economics will be defined as the economics of more jobs, higher wages, lower taxes, more take-home pay, and the vision of a prosperous America as the new normal.

The complete Democratic rejection of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act – and their record of the Obama-era normal of low growth, wage stagnation, unemployment, and growing welfare rolls – will be a heavy burden.

There is one more big reason for Trump announcing his re-election now: The 2018 elections.

President Trump knows how big a disaster Speaker Nancy Pelosi would be. He has developed a good relationship with Speaker Paul Ryan, and he will go all out to help keep Republican control of the House.

President Trump also knows that a strong campaign for Republicans in 2018 will earn them six to ten Senate seats, while a weak strategy could result in no gain or only one or two new seats. President Trump knows that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has had a brutal time dealing with the 51-49 Republican majority in the Senate. Every victory remains a miracle. This is the year when the accident of geography puts a lot of Democrat seats in play. A Republican wave election would do the trick to ensure a long-lasting Republican majority.

This is where Brad Parscale really matters.

Parscale was the digital strategy genius of the 2016 campaign. He built the campaign’s huge Facebook system. He helped grow the enormous Twitter following. He was able to analyze, target, and track enormous amounts of data. Parscale’s targeted data system enabled the campaign to reach so many people that they routinely turned out thousands at Trump rallies with only a few days’ notice.

Bringing Parscale’s brilliance at implementation to bear in 2018 will make it a dramatically different year for Republicans. When combined with the enormous ground team Ronna McDaniel is creating at the Republican National Committee, 2018 has the potential to be a dramatically better year for Republicans than anyone in Washington currently expects.

This is why these were brilliant moves.

Your Friend,
Newt

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: My wave of enthusiasm is bigger than your wave
« Reply #477 on: March 07, 2018, 12:02:40 PM »
Wave Jumpers
In Texas primaries, why did so many more Republicans vote than Democrats?
By James Freeman
March 7, 2018 11:40 a.m. ET

“Texas voting: 2018’s first primary points to liberal enthusiasm,” announces a Washington Post headline today. It’s an interesting interpretation of Tuesday’s results, which point most of all to conservative victory.

The Post wrote exactly the headline that many journalists had been expecting to write before the votes were counted in Texas. On Sunday, National Public Radio’s website noted signs of significant political change in the nation’s second most populous state. With a report entitled, “In Texas Primary, Early Signs Of A 2018 Democratic Surge,” the state-sponsored media reported:

...Democrats are already seeing reasons to be excited deep in the red, beating heart of Texas.

The Lone Star State holds the nation’s first primary on Tuesday, and in the 11 days of early voting Democrats reached record levels in a midterm year. They surpassed GOP early voting turnout this year and their own party’s numbers during the same period in 2016, a presidential election year where voting numbers are typically much higher, and more than doubled their turnout from the last midterm election in 2014.

Larger turnout among Democrats than Republicans in Texas elections would certainly count as news. Would the early voting totals hold up? With almost all precincts having reported, the Post writes:

Democratic voters showed up in force in Texas on Tuesday for the nation’s first primary of the year, providing fresh evidence that liberal enthusiasm could reshape even deeply Republican states come November.

Turnout appeared to be up for both parties, but the Democrats showed the greatest growth. From Houston to the border with Mexico, they voted in numbers far greater than in 2014 primaries, motivated by a surplus of candidates, concern over one-party control of Washington and dissatisfaction with President Trump.

Following that preamble, the Post reports the results:

Republicans continued to have a clear advantage in the state, with more Texans voting in their primary than in Democrats’.

But isn’t primary turnout a sign of enthusiasm and didn’t we just learn that the enthusiasm is occurring among liberals? While Post readers mull this over, the paper returns to the central theme:

The turnout from the left in Texas follows a string of races around the country where Democrats have shown new enthusiasm for voting in nonpresidential years. Democrat Ralph Northam won the Virginia governor’s race in November, even though the Republican candidate, Ed Gillespie, received more votes than any GOP candidate for state office in Virginia’s history.

Democrats have also been winning special state legislative elections around the country, in states including Florida, Wisconsin and Kentucky that were once considered safe for Republicans. “WAKE UP CALL,” tweeted Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) in January, after a Democrat handily won a state legislative seat that Republicans won by 27 points in 2016.

The Post is right on target about the Virginia results. If the nation follows the voting patterns of the Old Dominion, a Democratic wave will wash away the Republican majorities in Congress. Republican members of Congress will be especially fearful of a political flood if their candidate loses a special election on Tuesday in a Pennsylvania district that Donald Trump won easily in 2016.

But it’s the voting patterns in Texas that are the subject of today’s news. And they do suggest an enthusiasm gap, but not the one that has fascinated so much of the press corps.

In the primaries for governor and U.S. senator in Texas, Democrats had a range of candidates competing in open races, while Republicans were going through the formality of endorsing their incumbents, Gov. Greg Abbott and Sen. Ted Cruz, who faced only modest opposition. Put simply, Democrats had more reason to show up and vote.

Yet for each of these two significant statewide offices, roughly 50% more Republicans than Democrats voted in their respective primaries. In each case, around 1.5 million Republicans voted, compared to about a million Democrats.

A Politico chart reports that while participation in Democratic primaries surged compared to several recent elections, fewer Democrats voted in this year’s primaries than in 1994. Meanwhile, on Tuesday GOP primary voting appears to have hit a new high—breaking the record set in the Tea Party year of 2010.

The much-discussed hypothetical “blue wave” may still come rolling in this November, but Tuesday’s results in Texas suggest that’s not the way to bet. 2018’s first primary points to conservative enthusiasm.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
TX Senate primary
« Reply #478 on: March 08, 2018, 08:06:07 AM »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Dems running on tax increases
« Reply #479 on: March 10, 2018, 09:50:16 AM »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
former head of American Nazi Party
« Reply #481 on: March 11, 2018, 05:34:59 AM »
running in Illinois of course as a Republican:

https://pjmedia.com/election/theres-nazi-ballot-illinois-gop-let-happen/

Stated Holocaust claims are untrue and a "racket" 

This may be worse then David Duke.

How can we criticize the group of Blacks who are anti semitic or affiliated with anti semitics (Ellison, Obama, etc)
and not be front and center and throwing this guy out of the Republican Party?

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 11, 2018, 06:33:20 AM »
From what I understand, the seat is so gerrymandered as to be utterly unwinnable by any republicanism was left open for this assclown to run.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 11, 2018, 10:19:20 AM »
My understanding that this nasty bigot has been universally denounced in the strongest terms by EVERYONE in the Rep party.

Is there a procedure for excommunicating someone from the party?  If there is, does this open the door for a perma-campaign by the pravdas and the progressives calling for excommunication for any and every one who does not meet progressive orthodoxy?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 12, 2018, 09:19:41 AM »
My understanding that this nasty bigot has been universally denounced in the strongest terms by EVERYONE in the Rep party.

Is there a procedure for excommunicating someone from the party?  If there is, does this open the door for a perma-campaign by the pravdas and the progressives calling for excommunication for any and every one who does not meet progressive orthodoxy?

There isn't an official way to remove someone from saying they identify Republican; primaries and conventions are designed to sort that out.  We have a different problem in MN; a liberal law professor says he is R to run in a primary just stir up more than his share of trouble.

The bigot of this story is actually R.I.N.O., Republican In Name Only, so it is really other RINOs who need to disown him.  Kasich, McCain, Graham, Collins, Corker, Flake, any comment?

The party needs to recruit GOOD candidates in ALL jurisdictions, even the ones where they have no chance of winning.  Margin of victory matters and so does putting the message forward nationwide.   Trying to move a Dem district from 90-10 to 80-20 is very important even though we put all focus on swing districts.

The game of making Republicans disown bigots is in itself demeaning.  I would be more inclined to throw stupid questions back on the questioner. 

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
PA Congressional race sends a message to Democrats
« Reply #486 on: March 14, 2018, 06:53:45 AM »
Switch to a moderate conservative agenda and you can win elections. Blue collar Democrats vote Republican when the Democrat candidates go far left.  Or crooked.

In this case, the resigning pro-life R congressman was caught urging his mistress to get an abortion.  Hard to say what Republicans could do worse.

Democrat Conor Lamb...was pro-gun ownership, "personally pro-life," and he pledged not to back Nancy Pelosi for Speaker.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/commentary-the-big-lesson-from-tuesdays-special-election/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 06:58:56 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 14, 2018, 09:00:58 AM »
all the early signs are Trump IS NOT winning anyone other then his merry Trumpsters over.

I don't know.  The way he treated Tillerson......   Why make an enemy of someone HE asked to be his Sec of State like that?

Trump is a sick man .

Once he losses power he better not expect anyone to give a shit about him.

I mistakenly thought he would grow up some. 

I guarantee that if only he was a warrior gentleman (not a warrior pig) he would be at over 50% approval right now.
It is all about his character. 

But alas my opinion is just a breath in the wind.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 14, 2018, 09:45:27 AM »
Well, Tillerson calling him a "moron" to a roomful of people at the Pentagon was not real tactful either, but your larger point remains.

I would add that Hillary was a candidate who should have been beaten by a good 15 points at least-- sold out national security for personal corruption, abandoned our men in Benghazi, criminal, etc etc etc but Trump managed to turn it into a cliff hanger that he won by drawing an inside straight at the last minute thanks to Kelly Ann Conway keeping him on point for two months and Comey's last minute re-investigation.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 14, 2018, 10:28:33 AM »
Right.  We don't have Hillary on the ballot anymore.  As we have been saying for a long time, Republicans need to win with positive policies, actions and FAR better messaging.  Not the silence we hear out of Congress now or the noise we hear out of the White House.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 14, 2018, 11:04:31 AM »
Fortunately at the presidential level the Dems have , , , pretty much no one serious.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Newt: The latest wake-up call
« Reply #491 on: March 14, 2018, 05:57:37 PM »
second post

PA Special Election: The Latest Republican Wake-up Call
Originally published at Fox News.

It is time for Republicans nationwide to wake up to the very real threat of a Speaker Pelosi House this fall.

This wake-up call is also for President Trump and Vice President Pence.

Neither they, nor any other Republican, should underestimate how disastrous it will be for their policies and for the country to have a left-wing Democratic majority in the House.

Under Speaker Pelosi, there would be two years of investigations, fights over spending (to reduce defense and increase liberal dependency programs), efforts to undo Trump’s deregulation achievements, and attempts to make new bureaucracies.

Even though the special election for Pennsylvania’s 18th Congressional District remains too close to call, the results are simply the latest in a series of special elections in which the Republicans have run well behind the 2016 presidential election results.

If the decline this fall is comparable to the drop in Pennsylvania, there will be a Democratic landslide.

However, none of this is inevitable. There is plenty of time to analyze what is going on, develop a strategy, and wage the fall campaign on terms favorable to Republicans.
However, the first steps are the hardest and the least understood.

First, Republicans must evaluate what went wrong in Pennsylvania. This was an easily winnable district. Our candidate is not that much weaker than the Democrat (remember, the first refuge of political consultants is to blame candidates). The biggest surprise to me was that the tax cut message was not more effective. This was doubly surprising, because the Democrat was clearly for repealing the tax cuts, and it did not seem to cost him votes. Obviously, the first big question to ask is what would have won it decisively?

Second, Republicans must understand that if a wave is building, money loses its power to solve problems. The Republicans outspent the Democrats in Pennsylvania by a huge margin. It made the race close, but it did not win it outright. If we allow a Democratic wave to build this fall, it will defeat marginal Republicans no matter how much they spend. I first saw how truly formidable a political wave can be in the 1964 election, and then again in 1974, 1980, 1994, 2006, and 2010.

Third, the only way to defeat a wave is by building a countervailing wave. Since the elite media is overwhelmingly anti-Republican and pro-Democrat, this is dramatically harder for Republicans to do. The Republican wave must be real. People must be able to sense that it is about something important which affects their lives. Republicans could combine the power of the presidency with the scheduling party of the majority to set up a series of fights for the summer which would define the fall election. There is no evidence yet of the GOP having this kind of strategic capability, but without it, there is very likely going to be a Democratic wave that captures the House and minimizes gains in the Senate.

Fourth, the GOP must expand its base. The tax cuts give Republicans an enormous opportunity to reach out to minority small business owners and others to build a much broader party. Base mobilization in the end will not win if the base becomes too narrow.

Fifth, President Trump must take some serious responsibility for the recent election results. If he continues to alienate people (especially women), no amount of policy effort will offset the decline in Republican enthusiasm and voting.

Right now, there is time to think through recent elections and design a summer and fall effort that keeps the Republican majority in the House.
With each passing week, this will get harder.   Now is the time to wake up and insist on some midcourse corrections.

Your Friend,
Newt

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 14, 2018, 06:40:49 PM »
"Fifth, President Trump must take some serious responsibility for the recent election results. If he continues to alienate people (especially women), no amount of policy effort will offset the decline in Republican enthusiasm and voting."

no kidding

no chance he will ever take responsibility or change
he will simply continue to bash away the same talk

problem only maybe 40 to 45 % of the country is listening. 

Newt is right .  But there are simply no leaders who can rise to the occasion that I can see.

I am very cynical
The writing is on the wall.   But of course we have Jared.   Our secret weapon.
I am going to break my diet and have a drink.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The US Congress; Congressional races strategy, tax cuts round two
« Reply #494 on: March 28, 2018, 07:35:47 AM »
Democrats falsely complain its unfair that corporate tax cuts were made permanent and those for the people were not.  That is because of their rules!  They claim to support cuts for individuals but not cuts that deep for corporations.

Secondly is the observation that Republicans have no agenda.  So make the individual tax rates permanent, even if it requires 60 votes in the Senate.

Republicans have 51 Senators, not all together on anything, and Democrats have 8-9 members in vulnerable seats up for reelection.  Put them on the hot seat.  If Dems take Washington, tax cuts get repealed.  Republicans need to take a vote to make tax rate cuts permanent.

They seem to be waiting on this to make it more timely to the election.

[We need a better agenda than this, but putting their opponents anti-taxpayer votes on record is a start.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/27/tax-cuts-gop-2018-midterms-482158

Tax cuts, Round 2: GOP looks to punish Democrats in 2018

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
6 months or so to 2018 Congressional races, Blue ripple calming
« Reply #495 on: April 17, 2018, 07:40:27 AM »
Rasmussen now has Trump approval at 51-48.  Their strongly approve, strongly disapprove margin has  shrunk to -4 with the potential to be neutral or better by election time.
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/prez_track_apr16

RCP average has him at about 42% where that needs to be at least mid-40s to break even on the midterms.

Latest generic ballot margin polls (ABC) are now at about Dem +4 where the breakeven point is thought to be at Dem +5.

Still to come are many developments before the election that could favor either side but I think mostly favoring Republicans:
1)  Tax cut benefits and gdp and wage growth to be noticed by voters by November.
2)  Significant agreement with North Korea is very possible.
3)  Real concessions on trade and theft coming from China.
4)  Competent and measured handling of foreign issues like Syria.
5)  Alliances are being re-built:  Today it is Abe of Japan in Mar a Lago, also Macron of France, Mae in Britain, Merkel in Germany. 
6)  Re-start of TPP written with US interests in mind as a counter to China, instead of written without us.
7)  Perhaps new concessions on NAFTA.
8)  Release of a Mueller report or interim report with no real collusion.
9)  A new Supreme Court vacancy and replacement debate could favor Republicans.
10) Last for now but perhaps first or second in political importance, the emergence of new and more affordable health care plans that were previously banned by Democrats and Obamacare.

Risks that favor Dems:
1)  The Cohen lawyer raid leads to implication of Trump in real, illegal acts beyond what he is already assumed to have committed.
2)  Economy underperforms with an escalating deficit.
3)  A foreign threat development emerges that makes US look bad or Trump look incompetent.
4)  Other new gaffe or scandal of epic proportion is always possible.

I see much greater potential for the former list than the latter, but history favors the out of power Dems in the mid-terms.  Quite a few things have to go very right for Republicans to hold the House in particular.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The US Congress; Congressional races, Paul Ryan is establishment?
« Reply #496 on: April 18, 2018, 08:36:55 AM »
Larry Elder made quite an impressive defense of Paul Ryan on his show yesterday.
http://www.larryelder.com/show-archive/
Not that all legislation has been great (cf. spending, deficits, lack of entitlement reform) but that Paul Ryan was not the problem.

Hugh Hewitt called Mitch McConnell the best Majority Leader of his lifetime this morning.  Same logic might apply here.  The problem wasn't McConnell, it was with the Flakier members of his caucus.  McConnell made Gorsuch possible, and probably tipped the balance of the Presidential election by inserting the Supreme Court balance into it.

Congress is quite a difficult and complicated organization to manage.  The main problem in Congress is that the the people do not have clear and consistent support for the limits of government. 

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Congressional vote this fall to make individual tax rate curts permanent
« Reply #497 on: April 20, 2018, 09:00:09 AM »
If the midterm elections were held today ...  Well, they aren't.  By Sept, Oct, Nov we should have good news about a growing economy and growing revenues.  Both Ryan and McConnell are ready to call the Democrats bluff and make them vote on tax cuts a second time coming into the elections.

They were made temporary in the first place only because of arcane budget rules.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2018/04/19/ryan-sure-lets-make-the-individual-and-family-tax-cuts-permanent-n2471836

Keep more of your own money AND grow the economy.  By fall, we will know if the claims were true.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Senate races, MO
« Reply #498 on: April 24, 2018, 07:11:47 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 25, 2018, 12:27:31 PM »
GOP won in AZ yesterday by 5 points in a district Trump carried by 20 , , ,